FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS G-Series Today?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS G-Series Today?
    Posted: 09/18/2014 at 6:33pm
I'm intrigued by the potential of the DHS G-series - G888, G777, G666 (even G555).  They're still made, and the stats published by DHS would indicate that they could serve a purpose.

However, from my research on this fine forum, it seems these are all from a speed-glue era, where the expectation was that you'd use a few layers of glue to soften and enliven the rubbers.

How would these be to play with in a non-speed-glue era?  I'm a learning player, so don't really need masses of speed, but like to generate as much spin as I can.  I'm wondering if these would work for me?

So: anyone still using these rubbers today?  If I were to use them, what sort of blade would they favour?  I have the chance to buy a 2nd hand Andro Hiloom from another guy at the club at a good price (7-ply. OFF+ I think) - how would this be?
Sponsored Links

patwhall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patwhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 6:56pm
Assuming this is your FH rubber. 
Don't get a G series rubber.  G series rubbers are too hard and unforgiving for beginners. 

If you are new to Chinese tacky rubbers, I suggest you start with the NEO version of H3 (for more spin) or TG3 (for more speed), 38 or 39 degree hardness depending on your blade.  These rubbers are good for beginners.  Once you are used to the NEO version, you can always branch out to the non-NEO versions and boost them yourself.  Wink

Edited by patwhall - 09/18/2014 at 7:29pm
NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 7:22pm
If you are somewhat a beginner I would just suggest getting 729 Super FX. It can generate as much spin as most Hurricane and the rubbers you mentioned while having great control. What's even better is its price. Get flexible, soft ply blades like Stiga Offensive Classic or Yinhe W-6 if you would like to loop. If you want a 7-ply, try DHS PG7. Or try 729 Bomb.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 8:57pm
G series is about half the price of Neo H series so it is a good step to try. I have G666 and G888 on 5 ply all wood Cpen FH. G666 is softer and easier to use. I glue with speed glue but no reglue ever since. Speed is there if you develop your stroke technique well.

Edited by TurboZ - 09/18/2014 at 8:57pm
dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 10:24pm
You could also try, Globe 999 super or the national version. It's much cheaper than h3 neo. :)
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 10:33pm
From memory the G666, and in particular G555 are not that hard at all, and would be quite good for a beginner / developing player. The G888 is indeed hard as a rock!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by patwhall patwhall wrote:

Assuming this is your FH rubber. 
Don't get a G series rubber.  G series rubbers are too hard and unforgiving for beginners.

Interesting - what's going on here then?  My objective is to improve my touch on short game, esp. service return, brush looping and generate maximum topspin on FH and BH and especially serves. I'm used to HK1997 which is 39-41 degrees.  I've used this for about 2 years, and I'm about 1400 US rating, and improving.

I tend to a more Chinese style with a straight arm when I hit topspin shots.  When I have played with club members' setups I've greatly preferred Chinese rubbers (I've tried PF4 and H3 and TG3) than Euro/Jap ones (Yakza 7, Andro Shifter, Donic Barracuda).  My understanding is that a harder sponge will need more energy to grip the ball, so would generate more spin on longer strokes, but would be less bouncy on serve and service return.

Quote If you are new to Chinese tacky rubbers, I suggest you start with the NEO version of H3 (for more spin) or TG3 (for more speed), 38 or 39 degree hardness depending on your blade.

My worry with the neo is that they seem to be quite a bit faster than the G-series or non-neo range.  So my thinking is that something with as much spin, but less speed might be good, and I was wondering of G-series met this.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 12:06am
G888 had some great packing, full of Liqin pics.  It was a boat anchor with flypaper glued on.  Really really low throw for a rubber of the type.

as stated the 555 has a more sriver like feel.

I would play around with that stuff, rather than dish out for tuned versions.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic