Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>
Author
bluehorseshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 11:56am
I think that the red 39 sheet I bought was tuned- it did have the shiny layer on it, but it is substantially harder than the 38 sheet I have, when I guess I was expecting something more subtle.  The packaging was different than I recall though, but I suppose I could be mistaken. 

I've been using harder rubbers for the past few years, so it is quite playable (as opposed to coming from Tenergy and feeling like the rubber is rock hard), however it doesn't have the intoxicating easy power and spin that the 38 had.  
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68077&PID=823122#823122
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 12:46pm
Okay, so I am happy that I lucked into the 38 deg as bluehorseshoe is making it clear that what makes it suit me is not typical in the harder sponges. I find the 38 deg to be an MX-P/T05 sub for close to the table players. And even if you don't agree, its only $20...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jabemu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabemu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 1:57pm
Hi, I have tried the 40º model on FH with viscaria 88gr and new plastic xuxhoafa ball...and it doesn't like too much to me.

I have been used hard and tacky rubbers since more than 15 years ago. In the last 7-8 years I have used a very hard red TG2 in my FH (harder than the black one).

BD has the drawback of the classic chinese rubbers but not the advantages. It is difficult block ball with high spin and I cannot do enought spin with my topspin. Also is difficult to attack balls with strong underspin. The only advantage I find is that you can play with it (with its limitations) without booster.

Can someone compare the version of 40º with the one of 38-9º with respect to spin and the aspects I say above?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jabemu - 01/30/2015 at 2:05pm
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 4:26pm
Can anyone describe the difference, if any, in how the red and black 38 degree sheets play?

Edited by LOG1C1AN - 01/30/2015 at 4:27pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 6:26pm
In my experience, the sheets play similarly.
Cybershape Carbon
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

In my experience, the sheets play similarly.

Thanks for the reply.
harveyaquino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harveyaquino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 11:16pm
Sounds like this BD 38 is a much improved version of the Blue Whale 2 black sponge--minus the 2-week limit. 

Very tempting rubber, might as well give it a try.

I've used H2, H3, TG3 and all Neo versions as well as blue sponge H3 Prov. Right now I'm using Spinart. I've also used T05 in the past (before Spinart). And while T05 does produce excellent easy spin, my forehand begs for Chinese rubbers. The big drawback is that using pure Chinese rubbers unboosted is very tiring to use especially in tournaments. 

Hmm... comparing to Spinart or the Blue Whale 2 black sponge, is the BD (38 or 39) a worthy replacement? 
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 10:54am
Hello. I know that I'm off-topic, but i really would want to know where I can buy a 38 degree black rubber sheet of BD. A table tennis store from Europe... If not, World Wide will be OK to.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 11:02am
http://tt-store.eu/yinhe-galaxy-big-dipper?search=big%20dipper

They seem to only have red tho.
Cybershape Carbon
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 11:10am
Yes, I've seen that... that's the reason I've asked! Thank you anyway for your answer!
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 11:27am

Claudiu:
Ebay has it for $18

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YINHE-GALAXY-Big-Dipper-pips-in-table-tennis-rubber-new-/141522814741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f36ac715

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 7:12pm
Using BD 38 for RPB on a Clipper Wood now, and it's pretty dreamy.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

Doesn't that make your paddle really heavy?
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

Doesn't that make your paddle really heavy?

90g blade, SP forehand. It works out well, though the weight balance shift is really noticeable when twiddling for off-the-table counterlooping haha.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 10:42pm
My paddle with grip tape is like 193-195g.  I don't want to see the actual number so I refuse to weigh it...
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 4:11pm
So I got a sheet of this recently from colleague and the mechanical properties appear the closest to Hurricane Provincial of any of the commonly available rubbers I've seen.

That used to be Moon Pro which was similar to H3 Prov but not quite, and big dipper feels like a refinement of that formula.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 2:40am
Now that it's been some time. How's the durability? is she holding up well ?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 9:42am
i pulled my original test sheet off the blade and it was still domed after couple of months.  The rubber turned out to be pretty tacky, and I think it will be for the life of the rubber
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 9:45am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

i pulled my original test sheet off the blade and it was still domed after couple of months.  The rubber turned out to be pretty tacky, and I think it will be for the life of the rubber

Hi Cole.

Just out of interest - did your sheet have the 4 corners cut off?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 10:56am
I can't be sure what the difference was, but I just replaced a 2 month old sheet and the new sheet felt very different (in a good way).
Potential explanations of why the old sheet felt very different:
1.  I had to re-glue once or twice because it was coming off the blade.  The last time I didn't clamp it or put books on it.
2.  It's all in my head.  I always play better with a new sheet
3.  The sponge softened or was broken in.  

On initial warm up with the new sheet, it was noticeably slower.  The catapult wasn't as strong and it felt more crisp.  I felt it had more gears.  Slower on smaller strokes but with the same top end.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Hi Cole.

Just out of interest - did your sheet have the 4 corners cut off?

Yes.  I felt like the 2nd batch of 38 was harder than the first...maybe not much different if any from the 40.  I also feel the rubber has gotten stickier since the first batch.  I addressed this with galaxy and they told me dipper was supposed to be hard and sticky.  

I assured them that my first batch of 38 was softer and less sticky, but they weren't hearing it.  Could well be that they're out of the 38 and just packaging up whatever they have.  Wouldn't put that past any Chinese company I've dealt with, to be honest.

I have a bunch more 38 on order....we'll see what happens next time.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 12:13pm
Nextlevel said that the older version without cut corners was softer.  I don't think that's available anymore.

jabemu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabemu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 12:15pm
Hi, it is different the red model from the black one?. I mean if the red/black model is more tacky than the other one or the versions with similar degree of hardness are different depending of the color.

Thanks in advance.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 12:58pm
It's back up in the thread a bit, but some people have said not much dif.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 1:56am
I see the romance with the Innershield didn't last long. Good for you.

As for the Big Dipper, you can't know until you try.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/17/2015 at 1:57am
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 8:59am
Cole,

Can you request a Big Dipper in 36 degrees or something like that?  The older batches of Big Dipper are softer and I can feel that - I don't want to boost but I just might use some vegetable oil or mineral oil if I have to.  I play okay with the harder sponge, but I want something really worth it.  I'll pay the extra cost for a batch order or whatever.
Cybershape Carbon
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 9:34am

Cole,

Can you request a Big Dipper in 36 degrees or something like that?  The older batches of Big Dipper are softer and I can feel that - I don't want to boost but I just might use some vegetable oil or mineral oil if I have to.  I play okay with the harder sponge, but I want something really worth it.  I'll pay the extra cost for a batch order or whatever.

How long do you think the manufacturer tuning lasts? I have a sheet of 38 degree and it seems to not play as well in topspin to topspin exchanges as it did a month ago. Play against underspin is still terrific.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Cole,

How long do you think the manufacturer tuning lasts? I have a sheet of 38 degree and it seems to not play as well in topspin to topspin exchanges as it did a month ago. Play against underspin is still terrific.

That's a good question - I don't think how well it plays depends that much on the tuning as much as the sponge hardness.  The harder version is just annoying.  The softer version was always a bit springy so it played well even as it aged.  I still use 4 month old sheets without any issue.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 10:29am
I find that it softens a bit after a few days of playing.  I use the 39 degree, and a brand new sheet feels harder than a used sheet.  It plays well in both cases.

I glued an older sheet on a SH (I normally play cpen) Donic Persson Dotec and it became a speed demon on loops.  Maybe it's the balsa in the blade, but it was FAST.  I wouldn't have thought it was a chinese rubber.  I would say noticeably faster than on my stradivarius cpen.  
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I find that it softens a bit after a few days of playing.  I use the 39 degree, and a brand new sheet feels harder than a used sheet.  It plays well in both cases.

I glued an older sheet on a SH (I normally play cpen) Donic Persson Dotec and it became a speed demon on loops.  Maybe it's the balsa in the blade, but it was FAST.  I wouldn't have thought it was a chinese rubber.  I would say noticeably faster than on my stradivarius cpen.  

If you loop underspin with big dipper and take a full stroke and engage the sponge BD plays as fast as any rubber I have ever seen or played with. Half strokes or little flicks, it is slow, but full rips-Wow!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>
  Share Topic