FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 21>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 6:04pm
I saw Guardians of the Galaxy recently.  Too many people are like the alien who is unable to comprehend metaphor.  When told that metaphors goes over his head, he said that nothing went over his head ... that he was too fast and he would catch it before it had a chance to move...

Back to our regularly scheduled Big Dipper discussion.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/19/2015 at 6:06pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 8:44pm
To me it's pretty typical that harder sponge pushes better. With soft sponges the ball sinks in and pops up.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
stevenjlyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 6:17am
is this rubber a right choice for chopping? 38 degree.
ZJK ALC 90g: T80 + T05FX
Boll ALC 89g: AIROC M + Calibra LT Spin
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 7:47am
Originally posted by stevenjlyang stevenjlyang wrote:

I've done a bit of chopping with it in drills and it's OK, nothing special IMO.  It's a bit too non-linear in 38 degree for me for consistent controlled chopping.  Might work better in a modern defender mixed-mode fashion.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2015 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

The red with yellow sponge weighs 52 grams cut on a 88g Sardius; the black one with blue sponge is 48g; total with leatherette tennis grip is a whooping 191 grams that feels super balanced.
This is a looping setup; the potential of the rubber is shown bouncing the ball with spin about 20 inches high; effortless; hitting flat is kind of slow but that might mean more control in the hitting department since I'll have to go harder, giving a wider range to tune the strokes.

Wow, sounds like a big change from your slow, flexy innershield blade to the Sardius!

I'm interested in comparison this rubber to the Vega Pro and Baracuda as now they can also be had for around $20.
stevenjlyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 6:11am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I've done a bit of chopping with it in drills and it's OK, nothing special IMO.  It's a bit too non-linear in 38 degree for me for consistent controlled chopping.  Might work better in a modern defender mixed-mode fashion.
thanks for your answer. but i think i'm wrong. i've purchased this rubber 38 degree with DONIC DEFPLAY blade, i don't like it. 
ZJK ALC 90g: T80 + T05FX
Boll ALC 89g: AIROC M + Calibra LT Spin
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 6:16am

thanks for your answer. but i think i'm wrong. i've purchased this rubber 38 degree with DONIC DEFPLAY blade, i don't like it. 

Well, I haven't tried it on a slow defensive blade before...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 6:13pm
I have played with it on some defensive blades-yinhe (galaxy) LQ-1 and LQ-2 as well as a darker 7 ply def blade (only tried 40 degree on this but 38 on others). It plays well on all of the above. Not used it on a donic defplay.
illinichamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 1:53am
SADNESS!!! I have ripped 2 tenergy 05s and my hurricane prov in
a span of 2 months.. 190 bucks down the drain... (plus I just bought 90 balls a few days ago..)
I have read some of the posts but there is way too many..
so I would like to ask you guys what the difference between a regular hurricane 3 boosted
and big dipper is. both are around the same cost, but i haven't used hurricane 3 since the
speed glue era and i get conflicting views on the big dipper. so, if you guys could let me know the
pros and cons for both that would be great. thanks
H3 Prov. |MJ SZLC | 05 FX
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 4:01am
I just ordered two sheets of BD 28* from Cole for my new Viscaria.  Super excited!

Originally posted by illinichamps illinichamps wrote:

SADNESS!!! I have ripped 2 tenergy 05s and my hurricane prov in
a span of 2 months.. 190 bucks down the drain... (plus I just bought 90 balls a few days ago..)
I have read some of the posts but there is way too many..
so I would like to ask you guys what the difference between a regular hurricane 3 boosted
and big dipper is. both are around the same cost, but i haven't used hurricane 3 since the
speed glue era and i get conflicting views on the big dipper. so, if you guys could let me know the
pros and cons for both that would be great. thanks

To answer your question, the obvious difference is H3 will need to be tuned, and if you're not used to that process or you find it tiresome, you might want to opt for something else.  Also, Yinhe claims to have made DB with the 40+ plastic ball in mind.  I've seen comments about how it's not that great with the old celluloid ball, but comes alive with the plastic ball.

I haven't used a tuned sheet of H3, but I have some experience with regular H3, so I'll post my thoughts once I get some time with BD.
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 2:48pm
Didn't play with it for long but Dipper felt close enough to prov h3 to me. Seems like bit more sticky version of Moon which is basically a slower Tenergy.
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:05pm
Just wondering did any members here have boosted there Big Dipper? How did you like it after Boosting and what can you compare it to. What type of Booster did you use and what method? My H3 Neo Prov is pricey so looking for alternative and hoping it plays as well as my H3 Neo Prov. Thanks in advance for the replies. Smile
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Just wondering did any members here have boosted there Big Dipper? How did you like it after Boosting and what can you compare it to. What type of Booster did you use and what method? My H3 Neo Prov is pricey so looking for alternative and hoping it plays as well as my H3 Neo Prov. Thanks in advance for the replies. Smile

I have not boosted it and quite frankly I don't think it needs it.  Earlier in the thread a few people mentioned they boosted it and ended up ruining it - bubbles and whatnot.  
I was using H3 Neo Prov 39 deg prior to the Big Dipper in 39 deg and I'm not going back.  You'll lose a bit in the short game, but you gain on the offensive end.
I think BD softens a bit over time so it definitely ends up softer than h3neo 39 with less tack.  
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I have not boosted it and quite frankly I don't think it needs it.  Earlier in the thread a few people mentioned they boosted it and ended up ruining it - bubbles and whatnot.  
I was using H3 Neo Prov 39 deg prior to the Big Dipper in 39 deg and I'm not going back.  You'll lose a bit in the short game, but you gain on the offensive end.
I think BD softens a bit over time so it definitely ends up softer than h3neo 39 with less tack.  

So hooksum are you saying the speed and spin is the same as the H3 neo prov but will lose a little in control on the short game.....and did you boost your h3 neo prov and with what booster?
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:45pm

So Hooksumsnivy, what you are saying is that the speed and spin are comparable to the h3 neo prov but will lose a little control in the short game. When you did use h3 neo, may i ask did you boost and what brand of booster?
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:54pm

So Hooksumsnivy, what you are saying is that the speed and spin are comparable to the h3 neo prov but will lose a little control in the short game. When you did use h3 neo, may i ask did you boost and what brand of booster?

I didn't boost h3 neo prov, but I could see why people did.
Because there is less tack and it's a little bouncier, there's a little less spin and control in the short game. I don't think you lose any spin when looping, might even gain some.  It's definitely faster than a stock h3 neo prov.  Not sure how it would compare to a boosted one though.
I tried it briefly on a balsa blade and I found it to be too fast.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:33pm

I didn't boost h3 neo prov, but I could see why people did.
Because there is less tack and it's a little bouncier, there's a little less spin and control in the short game. I don't think you lose any spin when looping, might even gain some.  It's definitely faster than a stock h3 neo prov.  Not sure how it would compare to a boosted one though.
I tried it briefly on a balsa blade and I found it to be too fast.

The reason why i asked if you boosted your h3 is because i have tried playing h3 neo prov unboosted and it was very unresponsive compared to what i was using before i switched to h3 neo prov(was using Adidas P7 and Tenzone Ultra)...Then i decided to boost the h3 neo with a couple layers of Seamoon and the h3 neo prov turned into a different animal...softer, very fast and spinny just like a tensor. So i was wondering if the Big dipper will also change into a beast after boosting. I know the h3 neo is made for boosting....Smile
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:10pm
Dipper is already saturated. Any more and it would be hard to stick.

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 4:34pm
Hurricane out of the pack is plenty spinny. Idk why people would boost it for spin lol. Heck. My 4 year old untuned hurricane spins better than a 1 year old tenergy and gives me enough speed.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 6:33pm
Ok so I posted the Question: Why Big Dipper over H3 Pro tuned? but it did not receive many interesting answers although a price issue was brought up.

So Let's try posting it here, maybe more of you are following this thread:

I see several forum members here are using Big Dipper which seems really promising. Players like AndySmith and NextLevel - who I am sure have experimented a bit with rubbers and therefore know what they are chosing.

So the question is: Why Big Dipper over an H3 Provincial tuned (not Neo)

is it because Big Dipper saves the hassle of tuning? Because of price maybe?

or is there something about the rubber's properties which makes it a better choice?

Tuned H3 Pro should be pretty fast - does the Big Dipper still offer more power anyway?

Is it more forgiving / easier to play with? Giving more margin of error and saving points?

Does it have any characteristics which H3 does not have?

From what I read in this Big Dipper Mega thread - Big Dipper is a bit worse than all H3 strengths but a bit better than all H3 weaknesses... (power away from the table, blocking out of position, out of position loop, etc...) - is this comparison to a tuned H3 Pro or National? 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 6:39pm
Clarence,

Trust me, if I had used H3 Pro extensively, I would respond.  But I was a T05 user.  H3 Pro may have been too slow for me when I tried it, but I am not sure about today.

IMO, the simplest answer is that Big Dipper is tacky and only cost $20.  Try it out and you can always give it away if it doesn't suit you.  If you like Chinese rubbers, but don't like to swing hard all the time, Big Dipper  is a positive step.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Ok so I posted the Question: Why Big Dipper over H3 Pro tuned?

I've never used H3 Pro tuned (or tuned anything for that matter), so I can't compare them.
Without being able to compare the rubbers directly, these are my reasons:
  1. I don't tune and I have no intention of tuning.  Even if I did, I wouldn't want to deal w/ the hassle of tuning and re-tuning
  2. Price.  Big Dipper is cheap
  3. I do think it is more forgiving that H3 as it seems like a hybrid between chinese and euro rubbers. You can get away with less than ideal strokes and use less power, but it will reward you for doing it right.
I think the 1 thing that is missing from BD is a little more tackiness to improve the short game and service (which are still good, but not as good as h3/h3neo).  Though I'm not sure how that would affect the other aspects of the game.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 7:18pm
if you want bd with a little more tackiness, why not moon pro?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I've never tried Moon Pro.  Is it very similar to BD just with more tack?  I see on your site that it comes in 38 degrees.  Would you say that's the same as the BD in 38 degrees?  I'm using 39 in BD.

Off topic:  When I checked your site I saw your comments on Saturn Pro.  How much does an uncut sheet of that weigh?

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 9:33pm
When people say "H3 Pro," I never know if they're talking about H3 provincial, Nittaku H3 Pro, or professional H3
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 4:52pm
I´m quite frustrated of Euro ESN tensor with this new ball so im planning to switch to Chinese rubbers once again.  I´m struggling on short game even more that before with this crappy rubber due to the poor grip of Euro ESN.  I was a happy Grip-S Europe user, but quit using because of their random QC´S.  Could you compare BD with discontinued GSE?

I also wonder why There´s barely any info about H8, is it the same rubbish as this H3-50 or  new Skyline-60?
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

When people say "H3 Pro," I never know if they're talking about H3 provincial, Nittaku H3 Pro, or professional H3

Nittaku H3 Pro chinese sponge, but that is the same as H3 provincial but you're guaranteed a good one (of course at the extra expense).
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Hmmm my brother plays with Moon pro, so I get to use it often, to me it's not tacky - sure it lifts the ball for a second when it's pressed upon it (when the rubber is new), but essentially it is a grippy rubber and works like a grippy rubber. In fact it kind of reminds me of a Tenergy 05 Knock off - with 75% of the properties (spin / speed), but less spin sensitive and easier to control. 

I recommend Moon Pro to any player who plays with Mark V, Sriver etc... and wants to transition to faster, spinnier rubbers... Moon Pro is a great in between rubber - reminds me of a Stiga Magna with 1 glue layer coming to think of it! I wonder who even remembers this rubber ***nostalgia****

But it has a very Euro feel to it - maybe not ESN feel, but Jap feel for sure.   

If Big Dipper feels like this... I would say Big Dipper is not even a hybrid as such...but just a Jap type rubber dipping it's toes into CHinese waters :)
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 7:21pm
Well, I don't know how tacky people think is tacky but I still play matches with Big Dipper I bought in October last year and its still tacky.

People, it is a cheap rubber. Rather than ask too many questions, buy one and test. Pass it on if you don't like.
Cybershape Carbon
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 8:17pm
Next level makes me want to try this rubber when I get it in
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 21>
  Share Topic