Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:20am
I told eacheng to carry this rubber Big smile
They will carry it next week and I will order..
Sponsored Links

kucharski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kucharski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:35am
I had used the rubber and observed that after 2-3 weeks of practice the topsheet of the rubber fades.. The tackiness was noticeably lessen..
Impossible is really impossible
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by kucharski kucharski wrote:

I had used the rubber and observed that after 2-3 weeks of practice the topsheet of the rubber fades.. The tackiness was noticeably lessen..
Does the spin decrease or the same?
kucharski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kucharski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:58am
The spin is there I mean it is a Chinese rubber so its spinny, but once you notice the fade on the rubbers top sheet you tend to adjust the angle a little open because in my case I was worried everytime I doing topspin because the ball might sink in the net.. Well that's just my experience.. Shoud have put a rubber film on it.
Impossible is really impossible
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 4:27am
I've put about 10 hours of use into mine. The topsheet is showing some obvious visual wear, which is pretty quick. However, it seems to only be a cosmetic thing for me at this stage - it still feels as tacky to my finger, and still plays the same. I am using a protector though.

Also - I'm having some really good results with Big Dipper. I absolutely love it.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 5:56am
Here is a quick pic of the topsheet wear. I turned the flash on and exposure up to emphasise things. It doesn't look so dusty in real life.

Again, it still feels and plays excellently. It just looks bad.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 8:58am
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

I told eacheng to carry this rubber Big smile
They will carry it next week and I will order..

I told Yinhe that no one is carrying they stock
30 mins later they send out a special, where they will send sample rubbers to each store.

Soon more and more stores will carry it
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:04am
AndySmith

That is a lot of damage for 10 hours of play.
My H3 are similar like that, but that is with a lot more hours of usage.

I've done more than 10 hours on my Big Dipper and haven't noticed much differences.
But then again, my usage is not as heavy compared to normal active players.
I hit some, and mostly block or feed with it.

I personally think with the lack of tack, the grip is coming from both topsheet and sponge.
So if the topsheet wears out, one can still get decent amount of spin from sponge, but obviously top sheet added extra is the key here.

I am also loving my Big Dipper, and if it can last 2 to 3 months, then it is really worth it.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:16am
Of the 10 hours use, 2 of those were against the robot, which is more intensive than general play. But even though the topsheet looks worn, it's still tacky in that area. And the grip overall is still huuuuuge.

It just seems to lose the initial glossy shine quickly, and ends up looking worn. I've got no complaints so far - it still performs. My second order of another 2 sheets arrived this morning.

I think this will be one popular rubber...
ttsquared View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttsquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 12:47pm
I've been using the Big Dipper for about a month (given ZA's review). Love the rubber on my FH. I found it generates more spin than 05, with a bit more control. I have a boosted H3 national, which is faster, but I don't have the patience for boosting, so BD is an upgrade IMO - plus it's much cheaper. I also haven't had any wear issues after a month of regular play in matches and with a robot. I do use a protector, though.

Incidentally, I ordered two sheets from tt-store.eu (I'm in the US) a month ago and they shipped it promptly, and answered some questions via email - so great service overall. I ordered two more sheets this past week.

Frankly, I can't believe this rubber isn't more widely available - stuff would sell like hotcakes. Someone with some clout should get on the horn with Yinhe and tell them to right this wrong.
Viscaria: Yinhe Big Dipper, Tuttle Beijing 4
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by ttsquared ttsquared wrote:

I've been using the Big Dipper for about a month (given ZA's review). Love the rubber on my FH. I found it generates more spin than 05, with a bit more control. I have a boosted H3 national, which is faster, but I don't have the patience for boosting, so BD is an upgrade IMO - plus it's much cheaper. I also haven't had any wear issues after a month of regular play in matches and with a robot. I do use a protector, though.

Incidentally, I ordered two sheets from tt-store.eu (I'm in the US) a month ago and they shipped it promptly, and answered some questions via email - so great service overall. I ordered two more sheets this past week.

Frankly, I can't believe this rubber isn't more widely available - stuff would sell like hotcakes. Someone with some clout should get on the horn with Yinhe and tell them to right this wrong.

I guess it's just too new. I hadn't seen or heard anything about it being on the market until Tony's review. It's bound to get a lot of interest once it's available via the usual interweb shops.

That looks like a great setup, by the way...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2014 at 12:22am
Anyone tried a red sheet?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 9:32am
Can anyone give a comparison to H3 Neo Prov 39deg?

I'm interested in the following attributes:
Tackiness
Short game
Serves
Sponge (it was mentioned that it felt softer than advertised)
Throw

Thanks
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 10:25am
I used to play with H3NP39. Here's what I think, compared to Big Dipper 38deg.

Tackiness - BD is less tacky. Can only hold the ball for a split second.

Short game - BD is a little bouncier, but not what I would call bouncy in general (nothing like a tensor's bounciness). BD also reacts less to incoming spin in passive play.

Serves - On anything more than touchy shots, BD has an elastic "kick". This can disrupt your serving - you need good touch to use a very fine contact to keep serves short. I needed a short period of adjustment here. Spin is high, and serving long with speed is easier with BD IMO.

Sponge - My 38deg does feel quite a bit softer than the 39deg H3NP I used. It's more springy in nature too. It still has a tight feel.

Throw - Probably a bit higher than H3NP, not much in it.

You've asked about qualities which are H3's strengths. If I had to sum it up, BD sacrifices a little of those qualities (brush spin, short game, extreme linearity) for a nice increase in speed. Like Tony mentioned, you've getting some of the elastic nature of tensors (especially in the higher gears) instead. This is the kind of feel I was looking for in a boosted H3N. It's not exactly like that, but it's close enough.

Stuff like Thor's was an attempt to create a hybrid tacky tensor, but starting at the euro end of the scale. This feels like a hybrid coming from the Chinese end.

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Anyone tried a red sheet?

Sorry - black all the way here.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 10:40am
Thanks for the comparison.  Part of me really wants to try it (who doesn't like trying new rubbers?), but part of me worries about the differences.
The lack of tack, and sacrifices in the short/service game worry me.

How would you say it compares in the spin department?  Based on what you said, I'm guessing it has less spin in short serves and brushing.  I would assume w/ a more dynamic sponge it has increased spin when engaging the sponge.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 10:52am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

How would you say it compares in the spin department?  Based on what you said, I'm guessing it has less spin in short serves and brushing.  I would assume w/ a more dynamic sponge it has increased spin when engaging the sponge.

It has loads of spin when brushing, but you have to be careful to avoid the ball jumping out. With the serves as an example, I'd get massive spin on all my usual brush serves, but it was harder to keep them short. You need a really fine contact, whereas H3's dead sponge makes this kind of thing easier.

It all comes down to what you want in a rubber. Have you ever lusted after a more dynamic H3? If you have, and can cope with the loss of some of the tack, then it's worth a go. It's quite cheap!
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 12:01pm
Doesn't look like http://tt-store.eu has any black left... :(

Anyone know where i can get a sheet in the UK or elsewhere?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 12:02pm
Hehe

AndySmith said everything that I wanted to say.
So easy for me to just sit back and agree

PS - I do not know AndySmith in person, or is he affliated to Tony's Table Tennis LOL
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Doesn't look like http://tt-store.eu has any black left... :(

Anyone know where i can get a sheet in the UK or elsewhere?

If you want, I can look at selling to you from South Africa

Currently SA Post Office is on strike, so only way to get stock out is courier
That may cost a bit though
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 1:42pm
Thanks that would be great. Can you PM me with some prices?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 1:55pm
I ordered the last black one and one red hence my question... Not sure when it will arrive.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
tazdevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2014 at 1:53pm
Hi Andy,

In another thread, you mentioned that you liked DHS H3-50 a lot.  How would you compare Big Dipper to the DHS H3-50?  I felt the sticky topsheet with the soft (I guess bouncy) sponge from H3-50 lacks some punch...

taz
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2014 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by tazdevil tazdevil wrote:

Hi Andy,

In another thread, you mentioned that you liked DHS H3-50 a lot.  How would you compare Big Dipper to the DHS H3-50?  I felt the sticky topsheet with the soft (I guess bouncy) sponge from H3-50 lacks some punch...

taz

Yeah, I think that H3-50 gives H3 a more modern feel. The main problem is the simple lack of speed. It needs a fast blade, or very active stroke, or boosting. If XX does use H3-50 on his BH side, I doubt he uses it in its raw, undoctored form.

BD is quite different. BD's topsheet is thinner, not as tacky, and far more elastic and lively. You have to work H3-50 very hard to make it sing, but BD needs far less effort to use. BD is obviously more bouncy and less linear though.
_maddic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _maddic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2014 at 11:28pm
Hey Andy ,
could you compare Big Dipper to any of the following ?

Xiom Vega Asia
Xiom Omega V Tour
Addidas P7
Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft

you mentioned pairing it with peterpan , iam using kanaph atm and their composition doesn't seem to be that far apart. thinking of trying it as my FH
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 4:04am
Oooo, tricky. They are all non-tacky tensors. Making direct comparisons is a bit fiddly.

Hardness - my 38 deg BD has the feel of a medium hardness tensor, so around the P7 mark. Harder than R7Soft, softer than Vega Asia and OVTour. Obviously you can get harder versions of BD (and I would like to try out the 39 and 40 degree versions at some point).

BD has a slower, spinnier short game than any of these tensors for my game, probably due to the tack. Better service spin than these too.

At full speed, BD is probably about as fast as the R7Soft.

Throw is medium-high, along the lines of P7.

The feel is quite different to all of them, but is probably closest to Vega Asia. The main thing to point out is that BD supports both a brushing and a driving style. One of the joys I've found in using it is that when hitting a loop, I can consciously choose to either hit through with the sponge or brush with the topsheet, and you get a good quality ball in either case. This can be difficult for the opponent, because they get different arcs and bounces coming at them with high spin. I think Vega Asia is the only one on that list which can do that kind of thing to some degree, but not to the level of BD.

I don't think Kanaph is similar to Peterpan - Kanaph has carbon and thick hinoki outers. I can't be 100% sure on how BD will work with Kanaph - I haven't used it myself. BD has a bit of an off/on nature (when the sponge is engaged), and hinoki outers can have that feel too, so combining the two may be too much. I would recommend going for a 40 deg BD to tone down the elastic nature of the rubber. But it all comes down to what you're looking for, of course. If you're happy with an elastic response on the FH of the Kanaph, then I'm sure you'd love it! I used to love that kind of feel on the FH of hinoki-outered blades (but I had fits on my BH side, so I've abandoned this type of setup for now).
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 5:03am
Andy, can you compare the BD to other YinHe tacky rubbers - Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Appolo - they are all tacky with a bit of jumpy sponge (some type of hybrid rubbers, let's say).
Thanks!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 5:32am
Originally posted by BaiMile BaiMile wrote:

Andy, can you compare the BD to other YinHe tacky rubbers - Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Appolo - they are all tacky with a bit of jumpy sponge (some type of hybrid rubbers, let's say).
Thanks!

Hmmm. The only one of those I've used for any length of time is Mercury. BD is faster and less tacky than Mercury, for sure. I get the feeling that BD won't be as durable as Mercury though.

I did have a 10 minute blast with the original Apollo many years back. Again, BD is faster and less tacky (a LOT less tacky - Apollo was just like flypaper).

My gut feel is that BD is unlike the old Yinhe range. The topsheet is thin and lively, the sponge is porous and tuned. It feels alive in comparison with the old stuff, which had that dead, brick-like feel. The only one close is Moon Pro. BD is like a pumped-up Moon Pro.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 6:33am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Thanks that would be great. Can you PM me with some prices?

Sorry, missed this message.

SA Post Office still on strike.
Had a brief look at courier prices - the courier cost itself cost more than the rubber.....
So unless you looking to order few items, I don't think this is attractive enough.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 6:37am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Oooo, tricky. They are all non-tacky tensors. Making direct comparisons is a bit fiddly.

Hardness - my 38 deg BD has the feel of a medium hardness tensor, so around the P7 mark. Harder than R7Soft, softer than Vega Asia and OVTour. Obviously you can get harder versions of BD (and I would like to try out the 39 and 40 degree versions at some point).

BD has a slower, spinnier short game than any of these tensors for my game, probably due to the tack. Better service spin than these too.

At full speed, BD is probably about as fast as the R7Soft.

Throw is medium-high, along the lines of P7.

The feel is quite different to all of them, but is probably closest to Vega Asia. The main thing to point out is that BD supports both a brushing and a driving style. One of the joys I've found in using it is that when hitting a loop, I can consciously choose to either hit through with the sponge or brush with the topsheet, and you get a good quality ball in either case. This can be difficult for the opponent, because they get different arcs and bounces coming at them with high spin. I think Vega Asia is the only one on that list which can do that kind of thing to some degree, but not to the level of BD.

I don't think Kanaph is similar to Peterpan - Kanaph has carbon and thick hinoki outers. I can't be 100% sure on how BD will work with Kanaph - I haven't used it myself. BD has a bit of an off/on nature (when the sponge is engaged), and hinoki outers can have that feel too, so combining the two may be too much. I would recommend going for a 40 deg BD to tone down the elastic nature of the rubber. But it all comes down to what you're looking for, of course. If you're happy with an elastic response on the FH of the Kanaph, then I'm sure you'd love it! I used to love that kind of feel on the FH of hinoki-outered blades (but I had fits on my BH side, so I've abandoned this type of setup for now).

Great comparison.

Imo, I think it is silly to compare them to non-tacky tensors, next people will want you to compare them with short pimples lol.

I think the closes thing to non tacky tensors in a BD is that it is more like a Hybrid rubber - have the best of both worlds.

But, for ones who have not used either "side of the world" type of rubbers, one would not know the feeling of BD.

We also need to note, BD is designed for the new ball - hence more quality on speed and spin (compared to previous Yinhe tacky rubbers). We see this with the other "tier 1" brands - new rubbers too.

_maddic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _maddic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 8:49pm
Thanks Andy ,

I'am still new to tacky rubbers and the comparisons were really helpful , will probably pair it with a slower blade and see how it goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
  Share Topic