FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:12am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

May be it's a rubber for an all wood blades. Who knows...may be booster will do the job....

I didn't want to try booster, I didn't want to make it softer lol
In fact, I want to wait for factory booster to wear out :p
Sponsored Links

vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:24am
I dont like the feel of the «dry» sponge at all, very cheap. May be I got a fake from taobao, everything is possible.
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:59am
Got a 39 degree black from taobao and it is pretty decent for a Chinese rubber. It got kick and all. Easy to play slow and fast brush and drive. And I particularly like the glue sheet pre attached to the sponge. I just stick it on the blade and cut without the need to mess with glue and worry about any rubber expansion or shrink after removal. Also it is one easy rubber to cut clean and all ready for play in just a minute or 2. It makes a lovely click and glue effect. Not bad for the price.

BTW does all BD come with this pre attached glue sheet? I did not hear anyone mention it so I wonder if all BD is the same. I think it is a really nice touch and I love it 100%.

Edited by TurboZ - 10/29/2014 at 8:00am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:09am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Got a 39 degree black from taobao and it is pretty decent for a Chinese rubber. It got kick and all. Easy to play slow and fast brush and drive. And I particularly like the glue sheet pre attached to the sponge. I just stick it on the blade and cut without the need to mess with glue and worry about any rubber expansion or shrink after removal. Also it is one easy rubber to cut clean and all ready for play in just a minute or 2. It makes a lovely click and glue effect. Not bad for the price.

BTW does all BD come with this pre attached glue sheet? I did not hear anyone mention it so I wonder if all BD is the same. I think it is a really nice touch and I love it 100%.

Yes, all of mine came with the protector sheet on the sponge. The factory tuner/glue layer is underneath.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:19am
Good to know Andy. Thanks.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 10:51am
Yeah, all Maxtense series (moon, sun, saturn, moon speed etc) are like that, some others like Mars II also has it. Maxtense series also comes with film protector (mars does not)

That is the factory tuner.

I still add glue to it though, as well as glue onto the blade before I glue.
I think it may not be necessary to add glue to that sticky tuner layer, but my gluing is for customers mostly, so to be safe, I do add that layer of glue.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 11:09am
I have not use any glue on both blade and rubber but it seems to stick pretty well on the problematic Stiga NCT surface. I have used heavy glue and slight sanding before but rubber still come off several times so I am very happy with this Yinhe approach.
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 11:58am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Definitely, we played with different rubber....glue feel....anti glue feel - that's how I would describe it...and....no anything looks like glue sheet....
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 2:04pm
Vic - I wonder what you actually got then? An untuned version? Prototype?

Did it come in the white, stiff card packaging?
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:30pm
Could it be that there are un-tuned version as well? I saw some cheaper BD on taobao lately. 25% lower than when I first bought. Or it is just more supply to drive the price down?
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 12:11am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Vic - I wonder what you actually got then? An untuned version? Prototype?

Did it come in the white, stiff card packaging?

Yes, packaging looked quite real for me. Couldn't determine if it's pre tuned or not though.  
But it is laying now on my shelf with a gooood dome, topsheet looks great (Kurokami would like it LOL )

And a guy from my club reported that BD after one layer of Dianchi  - is a totally different rubber. So, EJ's hope will never die.
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 2:41pm
I have tried a red Big Dipper a few nights ago with three layers of falcon boosters. I have to say that the speed is increased tremendously before it was boosted. In comparison to a boosted h3 neo commercial 39 degree, BD red still feels softer than H3. For speed, BD is faster than H3 on regular drive shots and the throw is higher than H3.

But during close to the table fast looping, h3 seems to land further on the table than BD red. Both played well on short game in comparison. Loop to loop, BD seems to throw slightly higher than h3. But one draw back in BD is that when you are out of position and didn't loop right or just hit the paddle to the ball, BD red tends to just play dead and the ball just falls off to the net, i.e. Less predictable. H3 plays a bit better in this department. But still not like euro/jap rubbers. So BD tolerence is still low, which is consistent with any Tacky hard sponge type Chinese rubbers.

I will be trying the black one with 40 degree to see if this plays better. It is in transit.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2014 at 8:01am
OK, so I tried a 40deg red Big Dipper last night. I really, really love BD 38, but it does feel unpredictable sometimes. Passive play is great, active play is fast and dangerous, but the bit in the middle can be difficult to judge due to the elastic response. Every so often I misread the incoming speed and the result is a bit wild.

So I went for the 40deg in red. I'd have got a black one, but eaching were out of stock. It's quite a lot harder. I understand what people are saying about BD feeling softer than H3N at the same hardness rating, but this is still pretty hard overall IMO. Being porous, the sponge just doesn't have the same solid feel as H3, which for me is a plus. Makes it hard to compare the two directly though.

Anyhoo, back to the subject. The 40deg is more linear, less bouncy, lower arc on big shots. It has more of the "classic" (ha!) hard Chinese sponged rubber feel - hard hits give that crunchy, cracking feel you might be familiar with. It feels far more stable on brushing strokes, and spin is REALLY high here too (nice to have a fresh sheet). Hitting and blocking are easy to judge but need some effort from the user to be truly threatening.

For me, the main point is the arc and the style of play. Compared to the 38, the 40 deg one plays linear but lower arc - more like a slightly boosted but traditional Chinese rubber. So obviously suits close-up play more IMO. As much as this is expected behaviour, I do miss the feeling I get with the 38deg where everything clicks together on big loops and the arc is higher. I'm probably more steady and efficient with the 40deg, and make fewer mistakes. But it's more boring and I'll probably miss the slightly more wild child, unshaven armpits nature of the 38deg.

I did have a 39deg in black too, but another player was keen to give it a try and nabbed it. Bah. That might be the ideal compromise.

Edited by AndySmith - 11/04/2014 at 8:02am
finspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2014 at 9:05am
I've done trying BD 40 degrees and orders for spare 39 and 41 degrees, there's nothing I can say other than perfect.
I tried to use FH in Sardius which is one of the most wild blade, when using sardius feels very able in control, spin fast but not too curved, looping feels better and most importantly the price is very cheap
Clap
yohan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 2:49am
can anyone compare big dipper with saturn and moon , I currently have moon on my t-11+ i need to generate more spin ...
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 2:59am
Originally posted by yohan yohan wrote:

can anyone compare big dipper with saturn and moon , I currently have moon on my t-11+ i need to generate more spin ...
Get this with 38 degree or softer. Spin is amazing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanwei-T88-I-without-TARGET-stamp-on-the-sponge-Pips-in-Table-Tennis-Rubber-/251655620203?
yohan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 5:46am
As far as i know T88 is one of the heaviest rubbers? for t 11 weight is very sensitive.. I am also curious how big dipper is compared to saturn
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 5:57am

Compared to regular Moon, BD is:

Tackier
Less bouncy
Slightly faster top-end speed
Spinnier in most aspects

Some of this comes down to how you feel about tacky/grippy, and the sponge hardness will make a difference too.

I haven't used Saturn.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 6:02am
I had a league match last night, and I went in with the 40deg BD. I did OK, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. After the first match I switched back to the 38 and all was good with the world. I'll probably just stick to the 38 now.

Thinking about the hybrid-type feeling of BD...I tend to prefer medium/soft eurojap rubbers. I remember really loving the feel of Bluefire M3 on my FH, for example, which isn't a universal opinion. In a way, my experience with BD 38 reminds me a lot of how I felt about M3. Some would say it's too soft for FH use, but it works really well for me so I'm through second guessing it now.
yohan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 6:32am
Thank you Andy, if any one can compare it with Saturn or moon pro as well that would be great...
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 10:52am

As far as i know T88 is one of the heaviest rubbers? for t 11 weight is very sensitive.. I am also curious how big dipper is compared to saturn
The one I posted is not as heavy as T88-1 with target stamp. The spin is unparallel
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 9:40am
Now that people have been using it for a while, a few more questions:
1.  How is the rubber holding up?  Is the spin the same (or almost the same) as when it was new?  Did the tack wear off?
2.  Has the tuning worn off yet and if so, do you still like it? 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 9:55am
I'm sticking with my 38deg for now on the FH side. Loads of performance for the money.

1. The topsheet suffers visible wear quite quickly. It has lost a *bit* of surface tack, but remains incredibly grippy.

2. I'm not sure about the tuning. It still feels as fast as it ever has to me.

I'm going to keep this sheet on until xmas (half way point of my season) and then replace with a fresh sheet.

Edited by AndySmith - 11/10/2014 at 9:55am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 11:17am
If you use Eurojap rubber on your forehand, Big Dipper is hard sponge, no matter how you slice or dice it. I decided to stick with 05 on my main setup but I am sure I could be just as happy with Big Dipper. Change just comes with pains. I still use Big Dipper when I am in a driving the 5th ball with reckless abandon mode.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/10/2014 at 11:18am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2014 at 5:37am
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2014 at 8:47am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Yinhe Big Dipper one day sale for $11 per sheet (50% off):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yinhe-Galaxy-Big-Dipper-Max-Tense-Tacky-Pips-In-Table-Tennis-Rubber-With-Sponge-black/2052869383.html

Same vendor also has the Yinhe 40+ seamless balls on sale $12.25 box of 12 (50% off):
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/12x-YINHE-3-Stars-3-Stars-New-Materials-40-Pingpong-Balls-White/1032072_2052825570.html 

Has anybody bought from this guy before?
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2014 at 10:55am
Had another training with Big Dipper but now tuned with two layers of Falco Long. I tend to keep my first opinion - crappy Chinese rubber. Nothing special even for the price. Very good for serving though. AWFUL for driving and especially for blocking on FH side. Sorry to be alone against all others. Good luck with it, I'm getting off this train.
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 9:02am
I tried it out on the FH side of a custom Leidy 5 ply.  I found it easy to use for any active shot.  Generally the only adjustment I had to make was taking a bigger swing at everything due to the less bouncy sponge compared to tensors.  Passive shots were so much slower than Rhyzm that I lost a lot of points short or in the net until I started to push it harder.

Compared strictly to other Chinese rubbers, it reminded me of TG2 NEO with a bit higher throw.  I'll stick with Rhyzm for my FH but I definitely think this is a fun all around rubber.  
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 9:15am
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

I tried it out on the FH side of a custom Leidy 5 ply.  I found it easy to use for any active shot.  Generally the only adjustment I had to make was taking a bigger swing at everything due to the less bouncy sponge compared to tensors.  Passive shots were so much slower than Rhyzm that I lost a lot of points short or in the net until I started to push it harder.

Compared strictly to other Chinese rubbers, it reminded me of TG2 NEO with a bit higher throw.  I'll stick with Rhyzm for my FH but I definitely think this is a fun all around rubber.  

I think this will be the general impression people will get with this rubber. Coming from tensors, it will feel slow. Coming from untuned Chinese rubbers, it will feel more lively and less stable. It won't suit everyone, but for those who want something in the middle of both camps, it works.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 9:17am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

Had another training with Big Dipper but now tuned with two layers of Falco Long. I tend to keep my first opinion - crappy Chinese rubber. Nothing special even for the price. Very good for serving though. AWFUL for driving and especially for blocking on FH side. Sorry to be alone against all others. Good luck with it, I'm getting off this train.

Don't apologise. Every opinion has value, and no rubber suits everyone's needs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>
  Share Topic