Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 4:34pm
yes
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 12:02pm
Have a couple sessions hitting with the Black BD 40 degree.  I like it better than the 38 degree.  To me, the harder sponge is more predictable on drive loops and soft slow loops.  The spin is very strong on slow loop.  For power drive loop, there is lesser room for error than Euro/Jap rubbers for sure.  But if you hit it right, you are rewarded with great spin and very diving low arc which makes your opponent hard to block.

I think that the 40 degree hardness has a more traditional Chinese rubber feel than the 38 degree.  The 38 degree feels like a hybrid.  But 40 degree feels like a hard Chinese rubber especially if you pair it with a harder blade.  Mine is the 729 V6, which has a limba wood on the top ply.  So it feels stiffer.

On serve, the rubber generates lots of spin and I can move my wrist slightly to vary the spin much.  This is a plus for this and it is similar to H3 in this area.  What I do like about this better than H3 though is that it doesn't drop dead to the net too often.  If it happens, it is because my stroke is not hitting it right.  So it is much more linear.  I haven't had any moment where I don't understand why the ball goes where it goes.  So to me, it is more predictable.

I am definitely switching to BD for a short time to see if I can stick with it.

However, one troubling sign though is that my 38 Degree red one is bubbling already after one boosted session when I remove it from the blade.  So I am hoping that the black one will be better.  I haven't taken it off yet since the first boost.  Will keep an eye on this because I do have many Yinhe rubber bubbling in the past including Mercury, Moon Pro, Sun, Mars.  So this seems to be a major QA issue with Yinhe.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 12:21pm
Why not just blame the fact that you boosted an already heavily tuned rubber?  I guess other boosted rubbers probably last longer but my experience without boosting has been excellent.

I have been playing extremely well with the 38 degrees with the new plastic terriballs.  I don't think I will stick with it if XSF becomes the main ball, but for the harder balls, it is working great.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 1:53pm
yeah, there's not much room for more tuner in that sponge.  I never have complaints about delamination.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 8:36am
Cole, do you stock this rubber now? Still looking for a US dealer.
Cybershape Carbon
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 1:40pm
I got just a very little bit and it's flying.  I'll get more, but Im sure I'll be out for a while.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I got just a very little bit and it's flying.  I'll get more, but Im sure I'll be out for a while.

I placed an order today with some Dawei XP. If you could do anything to get it to me by Wednesday, I would pay the extra cost. If you are already out, let me know.
Cybershape Carbon
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 6:32pm
I have also notice that this rubber wears out very fast! Can it have something to do with the new ball?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 6:43pm
Like many Chinese rubbers, the rubber looks worn but still plays well for me.
Cybershape Carbon
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:45pm
I have mine for a month and so far there is no sign of wear. Still got the original shine and not a single ball mark left on the top sheet. I clean it every time after play with rubber cleaner so may be that helps a lot. Tune effect is still strong with decent kick and pop. Very pleased with it.
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 1:48pm
The good news is that the second tuning of my black one 40 degree fairs much better.  No bubbling.  But this rubber is very slow without tuning though.  But once it is boosted, it is a different rubber like H3.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 2:09pm
Different strokes for different folks. I may not be good enough to appreciate the need to tune a tuned rubber.
Cybershape Carbon
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 2:21pm
holy cow it's already domed like crazy right out of the package.  I can't see tuning it right away.

Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 7:47pm
Mine doesn't dome off the package. Perhaps different batch?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 8:54pm
Clearly must have if yours was flat. I got dipper and topenergy in the same week and both were seemingly saturated sponges, as domed out of the package as you would expect if you speed glued.

All the galaxy tuned rubbers I get are swollen like that.  The dhs neo stuff, on the other hand, is completely flat. 

By the way, Believer is my favorite Ozzy song.

Edited by cole_ely - 11/24/2014 at 8:54pm

Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 3:11pm
I'll definetly give it a try, it can be a good roober for my fh. I'm also lookinf for a rubber for my bh since i don't like the Tg3 Neo i'm using at the moment. Any experiences with the Big Dipper as a backhand rubber? How about the Moon or the Saturn?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 7:39pm
that's where I would use it, were I going to use it. I'm not going to I'm going to continue to use illumina for control.  But to me it was best on bh because it wasn't too tacky.  If it came in 2.0, I probably could use it.

typn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 5:21am
Originally posted by Greco Greco wrote:

I'll definetly give it a try, it can be a good roober for my fh. I'm also lookinf for a rubber for my bh since i don't like the Tg3 Neo i'm using at the moment. Any experiences with the Big Dipper as a backhand rubber? How about the Moon or the Saturn?

try Moon Speed on BH :)
Blade -- DHS Long V
FH -- DHS H3
BH -- DHS TG3-60
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 5:27am
Originally posted by typn typn wrote:

Originally posted by Greco Greco wrote:

try Moon Speed on BH :)

+1, Moon Speed is a great BH rubber for me.

Just for info - what don't you like about the TG3N on your BH at the moment?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 6:39am
I have just tried the 38 degree hardness BD on my backhand.
It has more spin and speed than the tihbar aurus with good control. I feel the BD is
a very nice rubber for the backhand.

I also used the 39 degree BD for my forehand, but it did not feel so good.
Even though it has good spin, I felt a lack of speed and control when I tried to
loop drive the ball. I am used to european rubbers on my forehand and I
found it difficult looping with BD on my forehand. Maybe I need to change to a chinese looping technique with more brushing on the ball? BD might not be suitable for european type of looping which encourages letting the ball sink into the rubber.

Edited by jackwong23 - 11/26/2014 at 6:48am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 12:57am
Got the rubbers today, Cole. Thanks for the illumina sheet as well. Now have to decide whether to strip my Vega Pro blade but I think it is almost inevitable at this point... Love that blade so I might even risk going in with it cold...
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 1:03am
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

It has more spin and speed than the tihbar aurus with good control. I feel the BD is

Even though it has good spin, I felt a lack of speed and control when I tried to
found it difficult looping with BD on my forehand. Maybe I need to change to a chinese looping technique with more brushing on the ball? BD might not be suitable for european type of looping which encourages letting the ball sink into the rubber.

Yes. This is a brushing rubber, whether with thin or thick brush. For thick brush, the control and spin are excellent. The most common comment I get these days is that I get great spin on the plastic ball. That said, Tenergy is also a spinny rubber. I just started out with Chinese rubbers and they influenced my looping technique greatly even after I developed Euro sensibilities. So ultimately, use what fits your intuition. I would say though that 38 degree sponge is good on the forehand if you are used to Euro rubbers
It isn't fast but it is not as much work as unturned Chinese rubbers so it is right in my wheel house.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/27/2014 at 1:14am
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 1:36am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Yes. This is a brushing rubber, whether with thin or thick brush. For thick brush, the control and spin are excellent. The most common comment I get these days is that I get great spin on the plastic ball. That said, Tenergy is also a spinny rubber. I just started out with Chinese rubbers and they influenced my looping technique greatly even after I developed Euro sensibilities. So ultimately, use what fits your intuition. I would say though that 38 degree sponge is good on the forehand if you are used to Euro rubbers
It isn't fast but it is not as much work as unturned Chinese rubbers so it is right in my wheel house.

If am not used to brushing, that means the BD might not
be suitable for me? maybe I have to change from loop
driving to loop brushing. lol
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 1:50am
how long will the tuning effect of the big dipper last?
Is it suitable to boost the BD once it lost its tuning effect?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 1:52am

Got the rubbers today, Cole. Thanks for the illumina sheet as well. Now have to decide whether to strip my Vega Pro blade but I think it is almost inevitable at this point... Love that blade so I might even risk going in with it cold...

Nextlevel, How much did the BD cost you?
I am thinking of getting another one.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 8:05am

how long will the tuning effect of the big dipper last?
Is it suitable to boost the BD once it lost its tuning effect?

I have not noticed any change - maybey game is not advanced enough to be sensitive. Turbo Z's experience has been mine.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 8:06am

$20. Colestt.com
Cybershape Carbon
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 8:48am
My favorite Ozzy is actually the Revelation, it has a prog rock theme to it, a big Rush fan myself...

Back to the topic, had another session comparison between BD and boosted H3 neo commercial. BD is definitely better when it comes to passive blocking. For H3, you have to block much more actively. BD is a bit more easier. Still not the same as the European/Jap rubber. But a lot better for Chinese Rubber. But BD needs a stiff blade to harness its power.

In general, this rubber is good with slow spin opening loop, a strong drive loop kill shot off the serve, (I.e. Great third ball attack shots), attack your opponent's serve because it can spin out of trouble, over table power flip if you use the harder once version. Serve with this rubber has plenty of spin.

What this rubber is not good at is saving an out of position point because it is kind of dead like Chinese rubber in general. So you have to be in the position to play it actively. Any passive blocking can still be an issue. These are all relative. If you are out of position, the bouncy nature of Euro/Jap rubber allows you to touch the ball back to the other side while BD or any Chinese rubbers requires more effort to do this.

I am sticking with this for now and see what happen. May need to order another sheet to play it untune again....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 9:57am

$20. Colestt.com

Thanks
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2014 at 11:30pm
I just opened a BD 39deg black and noticed 2 things:
There is no dome and the 4 corners are cut off - making 8 edges much like commercial H3.  Is this normal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>
  Share Topic