Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current opinion on T80 FX (no T05 FX info)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current opinion on T80 FX (no T05 FX info)
    Posted: 09/19/2014 at 9:35pm
It has been some time since the T80 FX was released. Other than a pretty nice review video clip from England, we did not get much diverse information. Even in that video, the guys did not mention some features, like how good the T80 FX is for pushes. On MYTT and Oakforum there were some short threads, but the people there were concerned mostly with how T80 FX compares with T05 FX. That's it...
So, let me ask you this:
How does the T80 FX compare with the original T80?
What are the closest to T80 FX rubbers from other TT equipment makers?
In what way did T80 FX meet people's expectations? Are there any well known players using it?
What kind of player/style will benefit the most from spending the dough on this rubber? 

(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Sponsored Links

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 1:21am
I play with T80FX on the BH and I like the rubber a fair bit.  Mind you, I play with T80 on the FH, so I kinda like this topsheet.

T80FX has a little more dwell time and a little less spin sensitivity than its harder sponge sibling, but aside from that, they behave similarly.  On the FH, I found that all of the Butterfy's FX rubbers top out a bit, but on the BH, I have not run into such issues.  Also, the T80FX punches fairly well and the new plastic ball makes that important.

As far as comparing it to other manufacturer rubbers goes, that is a little harder because Tenergy topsheet is so different from most other rubbers out there in terms off feel.

In terms of overall playing characteristics (spid and spin), most 42 deg sponge ESN variants are not too far off.  The closest overall is probably Donic JP02.  The older M2 has a very different feeling topsheet.  JP02 is closer.

Tibhar EL-P is also similar in terms of spin and speed.

Control is in the eye of the beholder and I play with T80FX because I feel it gives me the control I want without sacrificing speed and spin.  

ESN rubbers give me the requisite speed and spin, but not the feel and control.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 10:25am
This is a good one, Koshkin. In fact, next question coming to mind was how about T80 FX vs the new plastic ball... Thanks!
BTW, just last night I put T80 FX 1.9 red on the FH, we will see what happensWink ........
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 11:08am
Not a lot to say, I have been using T80 on my BH for quite awhile now.  I tried some T80FX and it just felt strange -- mushy, too soft, a bit slower than I would like, and anyway, I disliked it immediately.  So my experience is different from Koshkin, does not mean he is wrong, since all of this stuff is a question of taste.  It is clear that I like rubbers a bit harder than he does.  The one thing I did like was flicking and return of serve with BH, but third ball opening, blocking, countering, pushing, pretty much everything else just felt almost like I hadn't glued the rubber properly -- although it was glued just fine.  T80 is actually not a whole lot different from T05 and it is a lot closer to 05 than 64 IMHO, at least on the blade that I use. The FX version simply doesn't feel like a Tenergy to me at least, and for me the experience was actually quite different from T80.   I am pretty sure if I had kept it I would have adjusted ok, but it would have taken quite awhile.  I have no idea what other rubbers out there might be like it, but it would have to be something quite soft and it wouldn't have to be a fast rubber to get the feel.  Definitely needs to be something softer than EL-P.  I didn't use it on my FH since I use T05 there and am not changing.  Actually, at the moment I am using T05 on both sides. 
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 11:29am
I've played with 80fx for about 3 weeks now and I also like it quite a bit - equally on BH and FH.  To me, it feels the least "tenergy-like" of all the Tenergy rubbers I've hit with.  I had no trouble adjusting to it after playing with Aurus (regular) for about 2 years.
It's a very well balanced, easy to control (for me at least) all-round offensive rubber that despite having relatively soft sponge doesn't feel very soft or mushy.  It's actually quite lively without being bouncy.  It's not a speed demon, but it gives me enough power put away a ball when necessary and to play away from the table.  I can also control it quite easily in short game.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 11:38am

I have been using T80FX 2.1 for FH and found it suits loopers who use a longer stroke due to increased dwell. Not the best for quick hitting but overall a a pretty fast/spinny, allround offensive rubber with good control. Mid level players will love it. Advanced players may like it for BH. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 2:27pm
Nice, thanks guys.
Lower level player's impressions (why notWink). I've just played the first match against the wall with my T80FX. Previously, I had a regular T80, also 1.9mm, on that side of the JSBAlpha, pulled it off (it was recently ripped), glued the FX there. So for me: (1) T80FX does feel noticeably softer than T80; (2) on mid power topspins it has a much higher throw; (3) on more power drives it has this same T80 nice (!) flat arc; (4) the recliner chair test* passed with flying colors; (5) cut to shape, it is 3 g lighter than T80-> I like it!.. ... real test will come (hopefully) in a tourney in a few weeksEmbarrassed.

* the recliner chair test is performed by serving side-underspin pendulum, Nittaku Premium Made in Japan, standing 6 feet in front of the chair and to the left of it; all objects stand/roll on a medium-condition carpet; with the expected outcome that the ball will curve behind the chair and show up to the right; if it stays hidden behind the chair the test has failed.

Edited by JacekGM - 09/21/2014 at 12:11am
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Not a lot to say, I have been using T80 on my BH for quite awhile now.  I tried some T80FX and it just felt strange -- mushy, too soft, a bit slower than I would like, and anyway, I disliked it immediately.  So my experience is different from Koshkin, does not mean he is wrong, since all of this stuff is a question of taste.  It is clear that I like rubbers a bit harder than he does.  The one thing I did like was flicking and return of serve with BH, but third ball opening, blocking, countering, pushing, pretty much everything else just felt almost like I hadn't glued the rubber properly -- although it was glued just fine.  T80 is actually not a whole lot different from T05 and it is a lot closer to 05 than 64 IMHO, at least on the blade that I use. The FX version simply doesn't feel like a Tenergy to me at least, and for me the experience was actually quite different from T80.   I am pretty sure if I had kept it I would have adjusted ok, but it would have taken quite awhile.  I have no idea what other rubbers out there might be like it, but it would have to be something quite soft and it wouldn't have to be a fast rubber to get the feel.  Definitely needs to be something softer than EL-P.  I didn't use it on my FH since I use T05 there and am not changing.  Actually, at the moment I am using T05 on both sides. 

Which blade did you use it on Baal?
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 4:06pm
Viscaria.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 4:13pm
One thing I forgot to add is that with T80 I use 2.1mm sponge, while with T80FX, I use 1.9mm.

The FX sponge in 2.1mm thickness feels too mushy both with 80 and 05 topsheets.

I use a flexy all wood blade with limba out plies, so I suspect that the feel is quite different from harder outer ply blades.

Also, to address one of the posts above, I have finally had a practice with a plastic ball (DHS) and both T80 and T80FX seemed to work fine.

It will take some adjustment since the bounce of the plastic ball is different, but so far I much prefer the plastic ball to the 40mm celluloid ball.  It fits the way I play fairly well and I think my BH punch will become viable again.

Hard impact loops do not seem to work too well, but brush loops work great, both fast ones and slow high arc ones.  Same with serves:  hard impact serves were not very spinny, but soft touch serves worked well.

Overall, I think we will see some resurgence of the same basic looping technique that worked well with the 38mm ball, but had to be changed for the celluloid 40mm ball.

Also, the small batch of plastic balls that I saw was definitely more consistent than any batch of 40mm celluloid balls I have seen since they got introduced.  The plastic ball definitely has a more consistent bounce.

That having been said, I saw some XuShaoFa and Double Fish plastic balls that did not look nearly as consistent.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - 09/20/2014 at 4:29pm
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 5:24pm
T80 FX now got some boost from plastic...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

I've played with 80fx for about 3 weeks now
like it quite a bit - equally on BH and FH. 

I liked the last comment Big smile
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2014 at 1:56pm
[[[Lower-rateds corner Smile ]]]

(Importantly, this is about a 1.9 mm red sheet - I think it would be generally welcome if opinion givers provided sponge thickness in their comments)

After changing my regular T80 to the FX, during the last week I played twice with T80 FX on forehand, in a club setting. I liked it a lot.
Comparing to regular T80 it had much more feel on blocks, both short distance and mid distance. 
It was easier for me to reverse underspins without missing the table.
The serves were spinny the way I intended them.
I was able to better return fast shots from a distance, and landed them where I wanted. In general, I scored higher against better players (400-500 rating points better). Not that I beat them (not yet...), but I scored noticeably better (e.g. 8:11 instead of 4:11 in a virtual average game) than when playing with regular T80 on forehand. BTW, I appreciate they repeatedly take the time to play meThumbs Up
I don't know what that is, but I have come to trust this rubber much more than any other rubber on forehand (perhaps with the exception of the Hammond Pro Beta on the backhand side).

If any not-so-high rateds read this, and if you played T80FX, what would you say about it?

Edited by JacekGM - 09/27/2014 at 3:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic