FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Anything better than TB ALC???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anything better than TB ALC???
    Posted: 09/20/2014 at 10:08am
Hi guys, gonna order TB ALC from megaspin for $136 and just want to make sure before I go ahead with the order, is there any blade better than this for under $150???

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 10:14am
Nothing is better or worse for a beginner - it is skills that make them so....
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 10:19am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

True, I'm not a beginner though been playing for almost 5 years :P

Just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck so to speak, so your input will be appreciated.

Off-topic, I see that you are using 2.1 mm thickness on T05, is there a specific reason for not using 1.9mm ( which should have more control but less speed ) or 2.2mm ( which should have less control but most speed ), I'm planning to order T05 so want to know how the sponge thickness will effect my game. Thanks
Pushdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pushdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 11:39am
All ALC blades play similarly.  So better to get the cheaper ones.  TBS is cheaper. Galaxy V-14 is cheaper still.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 11:48am
PM me if you want a 99.9% new Butterfly Viscaria (83g) for $120 shipped to the U.S.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Pushdeep Pushdeep wrote:

All ALC blades play similarly.  So better to get the cheaper ones.  TBS is cheaper. Galaxy V-14 is cheaper still.

Yeah had an option of Viscaria and TBS but decided to go with TB ALC since it's the newer version and I like the blade design including the handle :P

Just want to know if I can get something better by paying $10-$20 or not :P
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 12:03pm
From what I've heard there's a slight difference, TB ALC is harder and slightly faster, while Viscaria is slightly softer, flexier and a little bit slower because of that.

Edited by Argothman - 09/20/2014 at 12:03pm
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 12:07pm
Micheal Maze ALC is definitely a competitor, with softer limba outer instead of koto has a bit more "control"....

I have to concede that the M. Maze ST Handle is better (square, silky rounded & comfy) than the TB range and I do like the TB handles...

Edited by CraneStyle - 09/20/2014 at 12:08pm
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

True, I'm not a beginner though been playing for almost 5 years :P

Just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck so to speak, so your input will be appreciated.

Off-topic, I see that you are using 2.1 mm thickness on T05, is there a specific reason for not using 1.9mm ( which should have more control but less speed ) or 2.2mm ( which should have less control but most speed ), I'm planning to order T05 so want to know how the sponge thickness will effect my game. Thanks

Surprising question for someone who's been playing for almost 5 years ...
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 12:12pm
Better for what?    

Better for saving money?
Better for a 2400 level player that loops and blocks?
Better fit for LP
Better fit for T05 on both sides?

Better to make you feel better?

Nothing is better......it's only what works well for your level and ability and any specific time. 

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Better for what?     

Better for saving money?
Better for a 2400 level player that loops and blocks?
Better fit for LP
Better fit for T05 on both sides?

Better to make you feel better?

Nothing is better......it's only what works well for your level and ability and any specific time. 

second that.

+1 its a great blade. I chose it simply because its the newer model of the TBS with better colors. You cant go wrong with it. It will play great with all the tenergies and new tensors out there for all around offensive play. Its a good investment too if you plan on sticking with it for years and not ej around for another blade. You can always EJ with rubbers if you don't like something particular, and like I said before with the ALC, almost all modern rubbers will play great on it.

If you find it too fast - just put slower rubbers on it.
If you think the opposite - put faster rubbers on it.

look at it this way...

The best player in the world played with Timo Boll's blade for almost two years, that should mean something.

Edited by DreiZ - 09/20/2014 at 7:32pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 5:56pm
You really can't go wrong with a modern Butterfly ALC. TBS/TB ALC/Viscaria/Zhang Jike are all great blades for an intermediate-advanced player.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 6:05pm
Tb alc is great blade especially with 05 or 05 fx. For a higher quality blade with more control spin and feel the acoustic carbon is the best out there! Of course with 64 on the forehand to make up the loss in speed compared to tb alc.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 6:30pm
It´s really hard to say which blade that is the best. It´s very individual, and also the combination between rubber and blade is important. Which rubber are you using? And have you ever tried the blade or have you just read that it is the best? However, it all comes down to personal preference in the end Smile
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 8:11pm
in japan acoustic used to be the most popular for men and violin for women. then it became tb alc for men, if zlf for women. now we're seeing a lot of mizutani and if zlc, but if alc and tb alc are still very popular. i'd say tb alc is the most popular men's blade globally. i've played viscaria for several yrs under several coaches' recommendation and i've tried a few tb alc including some pros'. i like it a lot and if not playing vis, i'd be using tb alc
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 8:28pm
What is better than an ALC?

TWO of them.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

What is better than an ALC?

TWO of them.

or, perhaps (for you, BH-Man sir), an ALC with twice the weight of a regular ALC? Smile
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 1:12am
Someone has been taking note of my posting preferences :)

Edit: Really though, just 10-15 grams heavier with better weight balance is enough to please me.

Edited by BH-Man - 09/21/2014 at 1:14am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 6:06am
Both the TBS and TB ALC are great blades. I preferred the TBS purely because of the feel. Tried both but personally felt they are too fast for me and didn't really suit my allround game.
Wouldn't be making a bad choice if you got either one. Just hope it suits your game, coz they are expensive LOL
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Both the TBS and TB ALC are great blades. I preferred the TBS purely because of the feel. Tried both but personally felt they are too fast for me and didn't really suit my allround game.</span><div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Wouldn't be making a bad choice if you got either one. Just hope it suits your game, coz they are expensive LOL

Put some good "allround" rubber on your TBS like 1.9 Sriver or Mark V 1.8 or even Xiom Musa max and you have a fine solid setup to play allround style.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Both the TBS and TB ALC are great blades. I preferred the TBS purely because of the feel. Tried both but personally felt they are too fast for me and didn't really suit my allround game.</span><div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Wouldn't be making a bad choice if you got either one. Just hope it suits your game, coz they are expensive LOL

Put some good "allround" rubber on your TBS like 1.9 Sriver or Mark V 1.8 or even Xiom Musa max and you have a fine solid setup to play allround style.

or just spend a whole lot less on an allround blade with a much nicer feel Wink
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 8:44pm

Yes an all wood blade may be cheaper and provide better ball feeling. TBS is stronger and has a larger sweet spot. Any blade can be tuned up or down with the correct rubber/ thickness. Finding the correct blade class for a certain style has in some cases a small overlap. Allround style can vary from Def+ to even OFF class blades. I recommend ALL+ all wood blade for peace of mind. In my opinion the ALL+ class has the most gears to play a formidable allround style. Don't forget Colestt for great prices and advice.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:45pm
I switched from TB ALC to Xiom Zetro Quad which I found to be almost the same but a) the handle was much better on the ZQ and b) a tad slower w/more dwell (I think) and thus more control and c) cheaper by far to buy (full disclosure: I'm selling one now over in For Sale for the low, low price of...Wink)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 2:13pm
Thanks for the help guys I decided to go with YEO instead, will first improve my game and then see if I really need to spend $100+ on a blade :P
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 2:53pm
Its a good 5 ply blade. Best 5ply for me. But it plays different from an alc tho.. anyway what blade/rubber were you using before?
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

Its a good 5 ply blade. Best 5ply for me. But it plays different from an alc tho.. anyway what blade/rubber were you using before?

Yeah I know it's not a carbon one but I thought since it's OFF and has koto outer ply, it should still be an upgrade from my previous blade which was Ma Lin Soft Carbon.

Already ordered it alongwith Rakza 9 for FH and Rakza 7 soft for BH from tt11

Should be here in two weeks , can't waitEmbarrassed
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:26pm

Yeah I know it's not a carbon one but I thought since it's OFF and has koto outer ply, it should still be an upgrade from my previous blade which was Ma Lin Soft Carbon.

YEO doesn't have a Koto outer ply unless things have changed.

You might like the blade, but I decided that it was a challenging blade for players without mature strokes.  I would have bought the Stratus Powerwood or Force Pro instead.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/22/2014 at 3:26pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:32pm
-

Edited by debraj - 09/22/2014 at 3:33pm
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:52pm

YEO doesn't have a Koto outer ply unless things have changed.

You might like the blade, but I decided that it was a challenging blade for players without mature strokes.  I would have bought the Stratus Powerwood or Force Pro instead.

Sorry I meant to say it has a harder top ply Embarrassed

Have not played with Tibhar before, Yasaka I have tried already and love the feel of their blades and the comfy flared handles, so decided not to move too far from that comfort :P

Anyways, will let you guys know if I like the new setup or not in about a month :)

Thanks again everyone!
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:58pm
YEO isn't that much a step up. and the jttaa version's construction is different. most ppl like that one.

i would have also gone with power wood. quite cheap and really good for the $

Edited by kurokami - 09/22/2014 at 3:59pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic