Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looping with slow thin rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looping with slow thin rubbers
    Posted: 09/20/2014 at 5:50pm
I played with a dude today who used 1.3mm Gewo Return Chop on both sides of a Stiga Allround Classic.  He didn't play defensively, and his shots had lots and lots of spin, his serves even more so.

It made me wonder - what would something like this be like for looping?   The dude I played said his setup was very accurate and controlled, and that he liked the thin sponge.

Wouldn't this bottom out, or is that not an issue?  I guess I usually brush the ball when I loop anyway, and only really hit through the ball on a rare kill shot.  Maybe it'd work?
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 8:20pm
It's because looping slow and spinny against backspin and against dead balls doesn't require much from the sponge. Serves don't require much sponge either. Loop-driving backspin and dead balls requires some sponge. Also, topspin against topspin requires sponge.

I have to imagine that the balls against topspin that he gives you have very little spin and that he stays close to the table. They also are either slow or possibly like a short pip kind of fast where they start off fast but slow down quickly.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

It's because looping slow and spinny against backspin and against dead balls doesn't require much from the sponge. Serves don't require much sponge either. Loop-driving backspin and dead balls requires some sponge. Also, topspin against topspin requires sponge.

I have to imagine that the balls against topspin that he gives you have very little spin and that he stays close to the table. They also are either slow or possibly like a short pip kind of fast where they start off fast but slow down quickly.

+1.  Sponge is most critical when loop driving and counterlooping.  I know a guy at my club who plays with 1mm thickness Mark V on his forehand and I once tried Donic Slice.  It's just a different animal once you are below 1.5mm - the pushes and spin loops are good, but you need to practice how to handle combinations of incoming heavy spin and pace.  In fact, when I was lower rated, I used to hate playing against the guy with the 1.0mm Mark V because when he hit his forehand, the bottom out effect just made the ball weird. 

But over time, I have learned that the quality of shot you give someone affects what they can give you back so I realize that he can do that stuff when I give him a weak ball to his forehand, but he is not as effective against heavy backspin or heavy topspin, especially when the ball is low.  IT's one of the reasons that against such players, you have to topspin heavily early in the rally, or when they set up their chops and blocking defence, you will have a much harder time if you can't topspin chop consistently.

The lowest sponge for counterlooping IMO 1.7/1.8mm in some medium to harder sponges.  IT limits what you can do but is at least effective for having some room to control the ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 9:55pm
A good player in my club says that sponge is important for long serves.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

A good player in my club says that sponge is important for long serves.

You stopped short... why?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 6:11am
1.5mm is superb.   

Friendship 729. classic Blue Sponge, happy thickness of 1.5mm, THE rubber is truly designed to work wonders incredible..
1.5 millimeter sponge layer is some spinny hammer, I enjoy this so much. The power control inbuild would exalt you, too.

WARNINGS:
Rather uncommon sponge thickness on market yet. Few people had ever chance to enjoy this sponge.. The only seller to supply this mid-calibre sponge to me is the DHS aliexpress.
   Great power, great control. So happy.     
MY BEST GREETINGS TO DHS SPORT INDUSTRY for being so responsive in cooperation..
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 6:13am
When I first got my bat both me and my friend got the stiga all classic with mark Vs. He got 2.0 and 1.5 whereas i got 2.0 and 1.8. I didn't really notice much difference when playing at the table except with the 1.5 where it seemed to come off the bat quicker but stayed at that same speed pretty much all the time, so was very predictable. But I didn't really like it that much as it felt a bit harder at times. 
But honestly didn't feel that different.
Only when you begin to hit harder and 2+ ft away do you notice the bigger sponge feels much better.
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 6:15am
I thought DHS was a different company to Friendship?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic