Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Beat a Tibhar DTects Pushblocker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Beat a Tibhar DTects Pushblocker
    Posted: 09/21/2014 at 5:37pm

any tip? I play cpen SP and i dont know a reliable way to beat a new dude  with (tibhar dtects on bh) in the club, i use to beat him 2 months  but i would like to know other tactic  to beat him.
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

any tip? I play cpen SP and i dont know a reliable way to beat a new dude  with (tibhar dtects on bh) in the club, i use to beat him 2 months  but i would like to know other tactic  to beat him.

Every player is different. What does he do that troubles you and why do you believe that he simply isn't a better player than you are? Describe his game and yours.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 8:56pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:06pm
General Specific, why do you think that video would be useful to a short pips penholder?
Cybershape Carbon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:10pm
Because high serves and killing the returning ball has nothing to do with spinning the ball with inverted rubber. The same tactic applies to any offensive forehand rubber. Serve a high ball deep, smash the weak and high return.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:28pm
And how do you know that it would be useful against the particular pushblocker that bbkon is troubled by?  (Again, every player is different, even when they share similar styles).
Cybershape Carbon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:40pm
Because he used the term pushblocker. The term exists because of how Olivier Mader, who even goes by the username pushblocker, popularized the term. bbkon has been a member of this forum longer than either of us. I'm sure he's well aware of Mader and probably that he is is username pushblocker. If he was able to make that connection, as evidence seems to point in that direction, than his opponent probably shares many similarities with Mader.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:45pm
I don't agree, but it's not worth debating.
Cybershape Carbon
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 11:24pm
I have a lot of trouble with short pips hitters . . . they don't give me any spin to work with and they are semi-resistant to my tricks. I also have trouble against players who are really good at loading the ball up with HEAVY brush loops spin . . . if I don't catch the ball just off the bounce it's impossible to chop block.

However, I'm still a u1700 level combination player, so . . . 
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 11:30pm
I think for a LP pushblocker player, his / her nightmare is when facing a short pips player.   Isn't it easier for a SP player to beat a LP player ??
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 11:46pm
I think this video might help you...

pushblocker vs sp cpen

sp cpen does have some illegal serves here, pushblocker acknowledges them by saying "good serve" and a nod.

I very much hate playing against lp too... rather play against sp.   

Edited by DreiZ - 09/21/2014 at 11:49pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 11:51pm
Yes, pushblockers usually need spin to do their best work, but there are push blockers with better forehands/twiddlers than others, and pushblockers with better serves than others. Some can attack with their pips and some cannot. It's okay to generalize but unless you know what is giving bbkon trouble, it's really hit or miss. It's a waste or time discussing the blocker if the real problem is service return, for example.

The general way to play pushblockers is in the video from General Specific, but if a player you could beat 2 months ago is now beating you, you may have problems admitting the person has improved if you don't point out what used to work that doesn't anymore.
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:05am
Conventional pundit wisdom suggests to play with as little spin as possible and wait your chances for a loose ball. That can hold true to a degree, but not all LP players are weak vs a knuckle ball. Many are very good vs this ball as they see it a lot. Even with LP the player still has to read spin. If you give a higher ball to the FH it is getting crushed.

Those are just some things to consider. 

In my 4 years in Korea, I played a LOT, I mean a seriously LOT of Grass D-Techs OX LP BH combo players. Anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of all Korean Amature ladies O40 and above play with literally the same equipment - Schlager Carbon blade, a FH control rubber, and OX Grass D-Techs on BH.

They seemed to play very similar type games. Serve underspin, get back underspin, punch aggressively with LP to make a quick light topspin drive to win the point or get back a ball to crush on FH. Get back a dead ball, they bump it back medium speed deep  to crossover or BH, wait for easy ball and FH smash or try to fool you with the LP push to get an error or easy ball. They can FH psuh all day, they can BH bump all day, they know tactics, they know how to handle no-spin, they know how to block fast drives with OX or inverted, they know how to get errors.

Many OX LP players do these things well more or less.

What troubles an LP player could be several things you might not have thought about.

OX LP players hate spins they cannot read. So, you serve HEAVY underspin low & short, or heavy underspin deep & fast & low. They still have ot read the spin, get in position, or at least get the bat there and the blade angle right. They will make errors.

Once you establish your ability to serve heavy underspin, then your short no-spin low to FH and fast no spin to cross over make you money. they begin to mis-read it.

Another thing you can do on serve if you see OX player bumping every serve back with OX LP, then serve very fast, deep with TOPSIN. You know how much underspin you get back, it will come back long, and teeing off on a predictable long underspin ball is one of the easiest "thank-you" balls you can get in the sport.

If their FH doesn't scare you, push slow wide angle past corner to FH, they push, and you are off to the races on attack.

Another thing they do not like is a player with a good BH. The BH attack is difficult for them to see where you are going. OX LP players like to give underspin to BH wing thinking it is safe. Good for you.

OX LP players really hate deep HEAVY topspin. Very hard for them to control with OX LP. Even harder for them with inverted if it goes to FH deep or really shallow.

OX LP players seem to really love it when you go for full power. Usually, you are going to make an error reading the ball. Even if you don't often, they see where you are going and block these balls really well and make you want to triple crush the block, often off balance, out of position, and off time, usually a fail for you and a giggle for them.

Some OX LP players got really good at taking the ball early and reading the spin to make a quicker shot that robs you of time and is well placed to a weak zone or to a place that makes you want to attack without fully knowing the spin.

Such players are wise & wiley and if you get defeated by a player doing this with D-Techs, just shake their hand, shake your head, admit they are right now simply a better player and look for chances to keep playing vs this kind of player.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:16am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I think for a LP pushblocker player, his / her nightmare is when facing a short pips player.   Isn't it easier for a SP player to beat a LP player ??
yes i think so, but he blocks very low balls and the fastserve+smash is not working, i can beat hi  sometimes but its matter of loading spin until i can attack  but most of the time it wont work
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:17am
I purposely left out giving underspin to their OX and look to counter attack their light medium fast topspin drive from their OX LP punch. 

Many inverted players struggle vs this scenario and avoid it as much as they can. Many admit this is the singlemost thing along with general errors reading the balls from their OX LP that kills them.

I can understand this, but let's face it, you gotta fail some before you grow some and playing vs these OX LP players who can punch underspin aggressively is a good way to learn about them and play effectively vs them.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:19am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Yes, pushblockers usually need spin to do their best work, but there are push blockers with better forehands/twiddlers than others, and pushblockers with better serves than others. Some can attack with their pips and some cannot. It's okay to generalize but unless you know what is giving bbkon trouble, it's really hit or miss. It's a waste or time discussing the blocker if the real problem is service return, for example.

The general way to play pushblockers is in the video from General Specific, but if a player you could beat 2 months ago is now beating you, you may have problems admitting the person has improved if you don't point out what used to work that doesn't anymore.

never said the player never improved so i think there is more than a way to beat that player, i think i need to play slower, feed him a slow loop to the fh and then a slow loop to the bh, btw he covers all the table with his bh

Edited by bbkon - 09/22/2014 at 1:22am
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:29am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Conventional pundit wisdom suggests to play with as little spin as possible and wait your chances for a loose ball. That can hold true to a degree, but not all LP players are weak vs a knuckle ball. Many are very good vs this ball as they see it a lot. Even with LP the player still has to read spin. If you give a higher ball to the FH it is getting crushed.

Those are just some things to consider. 

In my 4 years in Korea, I played a LOT, I mean a seriously LOT of Grass D-Techs OX LP BH combo players. Anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of all Korean Amature ladies O40 and above play with literally the same equipment - Schlager Carbon blade, a FH control rubber, and OX Grass D-Techs on BH.

They seemed to play very similar type games. Serve underspin, get back underspin, punch aggressively with LP to make a quick light topspin drive to win the point or get back a ball to crush on FH. Get back a dead ball, they bump it back medium speed deep  to crossover or BH, wait for easy ball and FH smash or try to fool you with the LP push to get an error or easy ball. They can FH psuh all day, they can BH bump all day, they know tactics, they know how to handle no-spin, they know how to block fast drives with OX or inverted, they know how to get errors.

Many OX LP players do these things well more or less.

What troubles an LP player could be several things you might not have thought about.

OX LP players hate spins they cannot read. So, you serve HEAVY underspin low & short, or heavy underspin deep & fast & low. They still have ot read the spin, get in position, or at least get the bat there and the blade angle right. They will make errors.

Once you establish your ability to serve heavy underspin, then your short no-spin low to FH and fast no spin to cross over make you money. they begin to mis-read it.

Another thing you can do on serve if you see OX player bumping every serve back with OX LP, then serve very fast, deep with TOPSIN. You know how much underspin you get back, it will come back long, and teeing off on a predictable long underspin ball is one of the easiest "thank-you" balls you can get in the sport.

If their FH doesn't scare you, push slow wide angle past corner to FH, they push, and you are off to the races on attack.

Another thing they do not like is a player with a good BH. The BH attack is difficult for them to see where you are going. OX LP players like to give underspin to BH wing thinking it is safe. Good for you.

OX LP players really hate deep HEAVY topspin. Very hard for them to control with OX LP. Even harder for them with inverted if it goes to FH deep or really shallow.

OX LP players seem to really love it when you go for full power. Usually, you are going to make an error reading the ball. Even if you don't often, they see where you are going and block these balls really well and make you want to triple crush the block, often off balance, out of position, and off time, usually a fail for you and a giggle for them.

Some OX LP players got really good at taking the ball early and reading the spin to make a quicker shot that robs you of time and is well placed to a weak zone or to a place that makes you want to attack without fully knowing the spin.

Such players are wise & wiley and if you get defeated by a player doing this with D-Techs, just shake their hand, shake your head, admit they are right now simply a better player and look for chances to keep playing vs this kind of player.

thnks BHMAN  really enlightned by your advice most of them i think i m missing playing at the right tempo, i will try out!

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:49am

Every player is different. What does he do that troubles you and why do you believe that he simply isn't a better player than you are? Describe his game and yours.

i m traditional one sided cpen SP player , i serve and start looping block and smash/fast loop i try to return everything mixing chopblock and some flicks i rely on variation .the dude plays the same way oliver but barely attacking but he push low balls, the last time i lost twice in the last month,  havent mentioned that i play with 2 pips, if i feel consistent i play with hexer pips if i m not that consistent i play with 802, i can switch between 2 pips in the same day if i need to,sometimes difrent blades  ITOH the dude was defeated when another player gave him high short balls like 12inch high but it was a 2 smooth shakehander with a mild FH but think he was more patient

i think low throw pips should make more trouble for pushblockers .like i said i never said i m better than him but i have a better record against him,its odd but i have a good record against LP players 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:57am

the dude plays the same way oliver but barely attacking but he push low balls, the last time i lost twice in the last month... ITOH the dude was defeated when another player gave him high short balls like 12inch high but it was a 2 smooth shakehander with a mild FH but think he was more patient
players 

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:58am

never said the player never improved so i think there is more than a way to beat that player, i think i need to play slower, feed him a slow loop to the fh and then a slow loop to the bh, btw he covers all the table with his bh

That's one possibility but like I said, you haven't said what the player does that troubles *you*.  I have played a lot of push blockers, so I know that they are very different animals.  I play them all differently based on how consistent they are against spin, pace or ball placement.

Yes, moving around the push blocker is a good idea, but it is better to do it by seeing how they set up their defences and going to where the block is weaker first.  I usually start by hitting the backhand hard with serve and third ball.  If the backhand is too stable, then I serve to the forehand short and see if they use their pips there.  If they use their pips there, then they have exposed their backhand so I go back there and see how consistent they are now their blocking position is exposed and they have to move to their block. 

If they push with short pips/inverted on the forehand, and I can loop that ball, I just serve there and play their inverted side.  I try to avoid rallying initially, but if the player is too consistent, then I just try to play more to the inverted side that I can read even if they attack there because I can manage that side.  IF they never use their inverted, then I should at least accept that I control the rally and I just have to make the right reads and shots.

If you move the ball around the table, beware of going to their strong side first (usually their backhand), because they have trained their transition to forehand usually well enough to give you a decent shot.  The only problem is whether they attack on the other side and whether you can contain it.

EDIT: you just described what he does.   If you want to beat him with high balls, go for it, but I think that usually, adding elements to your tactical game that don't improve the quality of your strategic game should be done sparingly.  I think that it is better to see how he sets up his defenses and play short to one side and long to other or vice versa or long to one side and long to other to test his defensive play.  Serving long to the pips and attacking the return is also another strategy as killing no-spin balls is part of a good repertoire.  Some push blockers know how to attack with their pips or with their forehand.  He may not be one of them, but I doubt Corey could beat Pushblocker today with the same strategy.

IF you can push with good backspin, push to the long pips and attack the return hard.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/22/2014 at 3:47am
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:31am

i m traditional one sided cpen SP player , i serve and start looping block and smash/fast loop i try to return everything mixing chopblock and some flicks i rely on variation .the dude plays the same way oliver but barely attacking but he push low balls, the last time i lost twice in the last month,  havent mentioned that i play with 2 pips, if i feel consistent i play with hexer pips if i m not that consistent i play with 802, i can switch between 2 pips in the same day if i need to,sometimes difrent blades  ITOH the dude was defeated when another player gave him high short balls like 12inch high but it was a 2 smooth shakehander with a mild FH but think he was more patient

i think low throw pips should make more trouble for pushblockers .like i said i never said i m better than him but i have a better record against him,its odd but i have a good record against LP players 

OK, now I see a little bit more.

If you pop it up deep to his BH corner and he doesn't attack this ball, that looks like a good chance to finish the point on the next ball to the FH corner or right back to BH corner.

Opponent likes to push and he is likely consistent and he can keep it low, prolly deep too. Prolly can change up the spin with his OX and keep it deep and low enough.

In that kind of rally, the OX player will win points being more consistent. You have to do something that will get that player off rhythm and time. You can try to wipe the spin yourself on one of your push returns and look for the next ball. You can try to loop it consistent and as deep as you safely dare. You can try to take the ball off the bounce and place it fast as you can keep it on table to uncomfortable spot to him, whatever that is you learned.

Since he doesn't attack much, you will not get points from him attacking the wrong ball, PLUS he is likely very consistent in using his LP to keep it on the table time again without giving away a sure fire chance. 

You have to use what you have to attack and win, or make the player fooled by your spin and placement changes somehow. SP can still make a pretty mean change of spin on serve and that is a good place to look, but your SP can also put the brakes on spin subtly.

Having a good understanding, confidence, and patience are important. Being able to change spin and location is good too. Ability to change pace, sometimes by taking off power on a shot where it looks like you will crush it is a good way.

If he is good at sending it deep, forget about trying to play short, you will make too many errors, Just find a way to get him to mis-read your spin (or lack of it), your pace (or lack of it) and your placement.

Do your best to land it deep, but not at the expense of your own consistency.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 5:05am

That's one possibility but like I said, you haven't said what the player does that troubles *you*.  I have played a lot of push blockers, so I know that they are very different animals.  I play them all differently based on how consistent they are against spin, pace or ball placement.

Yes, moving around the push blocker is a good idea, but it is better to do it by seeing how they set up their defences and going to where the block is weaker first.  I usually start by hitting the backhand hard with serve and third ball.  If the backhand is too stable, then I serve to the forehand short and see if they use their pips there.  If they use their pips there, then they have exposed their backhand so I go back there and see how consistent they are now their blocking position is exposed and they have to move to their block. 

If they push with short pips/inverted on the forehand, and I can loop that ball, I just serve there and play their inverted side.  I try to avoid rallying initially, but if the player is too consistent, then I just try to play more to the inverted side that I can read even if they attack there because I can manage that side.  IF they never use their inverted, then I should at least accept that I control the rally and I just have to make the right reads and shots.

If you move the ball around the table, beware of going to their strong side first (usually their backhand), because they have trained their transition to forehand usually well enough to give you a decent shot.  The only problem is whether they attack on the other side and whether you can contain it.

EDIT: you just described what he does.   If you want to beat him with high balls, go for it, but I think that usually, adding elements to your tactical game that don't improve the quality of your strategic game should be done sparingly.  I think that it is better to see how he sets up his defenses and play short to one side and long to other or vice versa or long to one side and long to other to test his defensive play.  Serving long to the pips and attacking the return is also another strategy as killing no-spin balls is part of a good repertoire.  Some push blockers know how to attack with their pips or with their forehand.  He may not be one of them, but I doubt Corey could beat Pushblocker today with the same strategy.

IF you can push with good backspin, push to the long pips and attack the return hard.

the trouble is that he gives me deep balls to the body and i cant pivot and some medium high balls he chops deep to my wide fh  and he plays with 0.7mm sponge if i get this straight i must not feed him short ball neither low balls ,is  deep and high the way to go?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 5:23am
If he cannot attack, deep and high is fine.   

You don't have to pivot if you know what is on the ball.  All you have to do is push it to where he is exposed.  If you can put backspin on the ball, you will get a ball back that you can attack.

Is he a penholder?  Does he use any non-LP rubber?
Cybershape Carbon
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 6:03am

Make sure you use a new live ball because it is the Push Blockers advantage if an older dead or used ball is played !
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 11:47am
From my experience I would conclude the following . . . 

Short pips and Medium pips attackers as well as players with advanced two winged looping (especially brush-looping) techniques eat up my combination play. However, Intermediate level loopers usually struggle and either hit into the net or pop the ball up and close their eyes as I smash away with my FH. There are some LP players, who are so good placement, that the opponent never feels comfortable. I played a high level combination player on Saturday. It only went three games, and during that time I was only permitted to use my FH three times! He surgically removed me from the table!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 12:04pm

You don't have to pivot if you know what is on the ball.  All you have to do is push it to where he is exposed.  If you can put backspin on the ball, you will get a ball back that you can attack.

shakehander  with T05+0.7mm  Dtects
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 2:00pm

shakehander  with T05+0.7mm  Dtects

Then if he returns every serve with his pips, serve into the short forehand or middle forehand, short/half long if he attacks if the ball is too long.  If his return is too low for you to attack if you serve no-spin/backspin or he gets to the backhand everytime, serve topspin.  In any case, push or attack the balls to the backhand.  If you push to the backhand with backspin, be ready to attack the return.  Unless the guy is 1900+ with this style, the key is always to attack the right ball before they set up defenses or to move them around so that the defense is not set when you attack.  The longer the rally, the more you play the battle of who is reading the ball better.  

You can also serve long into the backhand and then get ready to attack any return to the forehand.  Stay at the table when he blocks with his pips.  Continue trying to kill the return until you find the right racket angle  and stroke.  Because once you do, you don't have to change it.
Cybershape Carbon
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:40pm
I'm a dtecs player and it looks like you've got some really good and spot-on feedback from BH-Man and NextLevel. Here's a couple of points that I would re-emphasize as these things give me problems:
- Send a majority of your serves fast and long, and with varying amounts of spin. Short balls are relatively easy for a pushblocker style player to handle and they can get an advantage with their placement. Generally, the more you can move them away from the table, the more advantages and opportunities you will have to attack.

- As you mentioned, your opponent rarely attacks. In my experience, you will find dtecs/LP players who use their pips primarily to set up their aggressive attack game, and you will find players who are more passive and want you to attack and make mistakes. If your opponent rarely attacks, it may be a worthwhile tactic to bait him to attack and see how he handles it. If his attack is weak and/or inconsistent, this may be a good way for you to score some easy points.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 4:50pm

Ask him how to beat him.  I have LP's OX and after a match if an opponent asks how to play me, I will always help him.  In the Reno tournament I gave a player a 1/2 hour clinic on how to play me.  After it was over he asked my why I helped him.  I told him that the better he became, the better I would have to become to beat him.  By helping him improve, he would force me to improve.  In the end we would both be better.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 7:06pm
If he returns all serves with Dtecs by chopping or bumping you should be in total control with SP.  Serve fast no-spin to his LPs and attack away.  I would not use tricky spinny serves unless he can't read spin at all.  No-spin is best.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic