Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any robot recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any robot recommendations?
    Posted: 10/06/2014 at 7:59pm
I like the look of this one, but open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 11:00pm
I don't have a robot but if you have that kind of money, why not just get an Amicus?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

I like the look of this one, but open to suggestions.

I would rather spend money on getting highest newgy model. At the end of the day its still a robot. 
amicus is great but still has the same fundamental shortcomings that every robot would have. If you want foot work drills get the newgy 2050 with preset drills Etc and work on stroke mechanics and footwork at the same time.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2014 at 12:58am
I had an Amicus and I liked what it could do, but when it came to repairs the cost was more than the full price of a 2050 Newgy.  If you have a problem with the Newgy you can usually fix it yourself.  Repair costs are almost nothing.  I now have the 2050 and it does almost everything the Amicus did.

tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2014 at 5:03am
The Amicus is really a fantastic robot in terms of it's flexibility and variation for different 'drills'. It can offer a range of placements and programmable drills as well as being able to produce quite a high quantity of spin on the ball. 

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2014 at 6:40am
I have the H2W touch pro & it is awesome.
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2014 at 7:19am
Newgy 2050 is good enough for drills.
The preset drills should cover most of your needs.

Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2014 at 9:00am
I have a 2040 with extras for sale if your interested.
425.00 plus shipping
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 9:47pm
I'm also looking for a robot. I'm posting in this thread because it's fairly recent, and the discussion isn't as long as some much older threads. I'd really appreciate some more analysis of what the latest robots can do.

I'm a beginning player without much opportunity for competition, and I like the idea of having a robot to practice with and play against for exercise. My 12 year old son will also use it.

I've never played against a robot, much less seen one outside youtube videos. But I've done a lot of research, and my head is still spinning but I think I've narrowed it down a bit. I would like to have no spin fast balls and high spin slow balls, so it sounds like I need a two wheel robot. I would like to have both pre-programmed drills, and user-created drills, and a "random" mode sounds like fun but isn't required. Fairly easy set-up/shut down is - since this will be on the same table in my basement that we play on. It won't get heavy use, but I would like one that is reliable. I am handy and could do any user-repairable repairs if neccessary though.

As for budget, I am willing to go over $1000, but would be hesitant to go much over $1500.

So I've narrowed it down to the following. Again, I haven't seen any of these but this is what I've gleaned from a bunch of googling. If anyone could please shed some light on the differences or correct me on my opinions' I'd sure appreciate it!

Y&T 989H=Paddle Palace H2W
-- This sounds great - I love the idea of the touch screen, and would certainly make it easier for my 12 year old. The thing where it shows you the spin it's sending you sounds great too, so you can simulate watching how an opponent puts spin on the ball. The downside is that it apparently hits (mostly?) low shots - so no short spinny shots and no long lobs. I'm thinking I'd like to work on lobs, so can you do that with this robot? I've heard of people putting shims under the wheels which sounds like a pain, but maybe isn't too bad...

Amicus:

I'd probably get the "Advance" version. This sounds like a great robot. I like the feature where it can slow down the serve speed if it sends you slow balls. It sounds like it's a better robot than the Y&T in terms of performance (shot speed, angle, variations), but is it easy enough to program and set up/take down?

Oukei S9:
I haven't seen much about this one, other than that it seems like a viable competitor to the ones above.

So any thoughts about what might be best for someone in my situation? I realize they're all good, and that I could probably be happy with a much cheaper one at least for now. But I'd like to get one of the higher end ones right off and not replace it later. Again, ease of programming and set up are important to me, as well as something that will help me improve quickly now, while still being useful when (and if) I become a much stronger player.

Thanks!

- Dave

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 2:58pm
It might be a bit of a tangent - but wouldn't you be better off going to a local TT club? Plenty of competition and coaching there. I see you are in Boston, so there are several local options.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 5:49pm
I'd love to, but I don't think there are any clubs near me. I don't actually live in the city of Boston, I live in Boston's North Shore. Beautiful area, but based on some searching on the web - I think the nearest club is about 45 minutes from me with no traffic, and that road frequently has traffic. Hence the robot.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 12:04pm
Personally I wouldn't buy any robot until I knew how they were going to work with the 40+ plastic balls.

I noticed Newgy has been sending a lot of sale emails out.  Makes me think they're trying to get rid of existing stock.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 3:04pm
I have the PP H2W.  I haven't tried it with plastic ball, but I was assured by PP when I bought it 15 months ago that it would work fine.  We'll see about that.  I haven't seen the other two in person.

It would meet the requirements you gave.  The setup and takedown is super easy.  Two minutes if you dawdle.  I have had no mechanical problems after more than 100 uses.  It's very solid, at least the one I have is.  The touch screen is nice too.  Very easy to program and save up to 9 routines.  It is great for footwork drills and exercise.  

It has all the weaknesses of any robot.  It's boring, can't hit short, doesn't serve, the spin indicator doesn't help with reading spin off the paddle, the usual stuff.

You and your son can hit lobs to each other.  That's about as easy to feed as can be.  As is recommended in every robot-related thread here, learn to feed multiball and you can fill in the gaps in what the robot can do.  It's still nice to have one for when you or your son want to practice alone.   

Soundoff88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundoff88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

It has all the weaknesses of any robot.  It's boring, can't hit short, doesn't serve, the spin indicator doesn't help with reading spin off the paddle, the usual stuff.

Can you explain "can't hit short?"
Thanx.
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 6:31pm
Thanks for the input everyone!

As for the new balls - I've seen discussions in other threads about the concerns of robot compatibility with the new balls, and the consensus seems to be that it's not an issue. Plus, will it ever be that hard to find the older type balls?

Regarding the H2W, I'm tempted but I think I will go with the Amicus. As I understand it, it can do serves, hit short, and hit lobs. But again - I haven't seen one. Am I wrong about this?

I'd love to do multiball drills with my son, but he wouldn't have the patience for that. We've been playing 3-4 games every night lately, which is great, but like most young boys he wants to play, not practice.

- Dave
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 7:13am
I just ordered an Amicus Advance. Thanks again for the advice!

And FYI, I also contacted Butterfly about working with them to add smartphone control of the device. They said they would get back to me. I'm not sure that they'll take me up on it, but I'm convinced it would be relatively easy to do. Imagine having the ability to have unlimited shot programs, that you could specify shot locations by tapping on spots on an image of a table, that you could edit shots by dragging on sliders to specify speed and spin, etc. That would be cool!

- Dave
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Soundoff88 Soundoff88 wrote:

Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Can you explain "can't hit short?"
Thanx.
You can set it to land the ball short, but it's more mid-table.  So if you want to simulate a short push it isn't really there.  It's hard if not impossible to get a spinny ball that would bounce twice, unless you take the robot back off the endline.  That's not hard to do, but you lose some of the catch-net.  

OP - please post a review of the Amicus Advance when you have tried it out.  Would love to know if that robot can do all the things it promises.
Soundoff88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundoff88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 8:57am
thanks for the reply. it may be improbable but can't the head be adjusted so that it is hitting the other side of the table first and bounce over the net for short shots?
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 11:18am
For around $200.00 the I-pong from joola works pretty well, you can place it to different spots on the table, great for service return practice..
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic