Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

is it confirmed chinese players boost rubbers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 3:55pm
berndt: the racket passed the test. That is all you need to know. That is all that matters. Anything else is moving the goalpost.

FdT
Sponsored Links

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Berndt, I honestly don't care.

I am simply not going to argue with people who dislike the sport I play and watch; especially over idiotic stuff that ITTF does, and players response to it -- since I have no control over any of it.  In spite of Sharara's efforts to mess everything up, the product still amazes me, such as the ML-FZD final at the WTTC this year. 

I watch Chinese players closely.  They are better in nearly every dimension of the game than everyone else.  Right now the only European player who is close to their level is Ovtcharov.  Boll and Samsonov used to be, but they are passed their sell-by date (although I still love watching them).  The footwork, strength, balance, overall technique, and even tactical skills in the case of Ma Long, of Chinese players is superior.  That is not a product of any one rubber or a booster oil.  People who suggest that Hurricane + Booster are the sole reason they dominate make me laugh.

I like jazz.  I once had a roommate who thought it was very uncool of me to like it.  He was into Hair Bands.  I tuned him out and went back to my Coltrane albums.  At some point since the lease was in my name, I threw him out. 

This is a website devoted to table tennis -- as it is played now.  Keep it in mind

I am well aware that you do not care that virtually all of today's best players, including Ma Long and the rest of the Chinese National Team deliberately and with intent to augment the speed and spin of the rubbers they use, boost those rubbers with boosting oils, even when the rubbers some use are already factory boosted.  You have stated that a number of times, and also stated that there is nothing wrong with table tennis as it is played now and I presume also has been played since the introduction of boosting oils.  This is, as you are well aware, contrary to present ITTF regulations.  It is by definition illegal, and therefore also by definition cheating, despite what you or I might think of the ITTF as an exemplar of intellectual eminence and scholarship sublime.

Presumably the members of the Chinese National Team, who train in such a rigorous fashion as to make a Spartan shiver, should not need to have recourse to either factory boosted rubbers or factory boosted rubbers additionally augmented by boosting oils, as presumably they do not need them.  Why then do the members of the CNT, as do virtually every other international player who competes in an ITTF sanctioned competition, feel that they have to boost their rubbers with boosting oils, a practice pretty much known to many people who follow international table tennis tournaments?

And why then should any player who willfully and deliberately ignores an ITTF regulation deserve admittance to the International Table Tennis Hall of Fame, no matter how impressive his or her table tennis accomplishments?

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/14/2017 at 5:13pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 6:21pm
You chose to ignore what I wrote about not wanting to argue about this.  I not only don't care about whether the players boost, I also don't care what you think about it. You have made your point.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 6:59pm

August 18, 2015

Tue, 08/18/2015 - 12:48 — Larry Hodges

Table Tennis Boosting and Why Cheating is Rampant in Our Sport

Here's an article by Coach Jon Gustavason about the problems with boosting (and perhaps speed gluing) in table tennis. He wrote, "It also appeared that at least some of the players were using boosters or speed glue on their rackets. There is absolutely no way of knowing how much was taking place, since there was no attempt to test rackets and — even if there had been — current testing methods can’t detect every possible way that table tennis rubbers can be altered."

Next to the problems with hidden serves, this is the most abused rule in table tennis at the higher levels. The rules state, "The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment." This makes both speed glue and boosting illegal. 

Boosting is the problem, not speed gluing. Boosting on a tensor sponge gives nearly the same effect but is essentially undetectable, and unlike speed glue, has little health risks. I'd be surprised if any but a tiny minority still speed glue. First, if they did, you can hear the unique sound it makes, and we'd know. Second, it's the top players who are most likely to look for such enhancements, and they know that their racket likely would be tested at the biggest tournaments, and so they wouldn't be able to speed glue at the tournaments that are likely most important for them. Third, and probably most important, I'm told that speed glue doesn't really work well with modern tensor sponges, which just about every top player uses. So what's the point? A tensored sponge that's boosted gives the effect of speed glue without being detectable. (Also, where would they get the speed glue? It's no longer being produced by manufacturers. They'd have to go back to the old bicycle glues used in the 1970s, which aren't as effective as the ones produced later for table tennis.)

Others have protested about the boosting problem. Here's an article from Tabletennista, "Jun Mizutani Boycotts ITTF For His Battle Against Illegal Boosters." (Mizutani is world #6.) It's a worldwide problem.

So it is boosting that is the problem. (Most estimates are that it increases spin and speed about 10%.) I'm not going to name names, but it's pretty much common knowledge that nearly every top player boosts. Not all - there are a few who simply won't do it because it's illegal. For example, Samson Dubina has gotten involved in this issue as he's a top U.S. player who is regularly handicapped because he won't "cheat," and so he doesn't boost, while most of his opponents likely do. When he complained to an official while I listened, the official simply encouraged him to boost himself, since others were doing so. Yes, as Samson can verify, the referee/umpire told him to cheat. The official also argued that few others are complaining – but that's because nearly all of the players are boosting, so of course they aren't complaining! (There's also a top player at my club who faces this same dilemma, as he refuses to boost since it's cheating – but he's getting tempted. "Come to the dark side, we have cookies and booster!")

It's somewhat similar to the problem with steroids and other performance enhancing drugs in sports. They weren't legal, but large number of players used them for decades despite the fact that they were both risking their health and their reputations by cheating. With boosting, there is little danger of either, and so it's pretty much commonplace. I've watched players routinely boost for years; many probably don't even know it's illegal. (Unlike speed glue, which is done just before playing, boosting is done well before you play, and lasts much longer.) 

I'm sure some are wondering just what boosting is. Sorry, I'm not going to tell you. I'm sure with a little research you can find it on your own. When/if it becomes legal (or essentially legal, as explained in #3 below), I'll post about it. 

So how can we solve this problem? I've already tried to solve it, but met up with bureaucratic roadblocks. Just like steroids before, many of the current generation of officials simply don't take the problem seriously - it's out of sight, out of mind thinking, plus they don't want the hassle of dealing with a mostly invisible problem - even though they are really hurting players who won't "cheat."

Let's look at this logically. I see three possibilities. 

1. Ignore the problem, allow rampant cheating, and handicap those who won't cheat. Sorry, this isn't acceptable to me. 
  2. Spend extremely large sums of money on extremely sensitive equipment that'll detect boosting. (It would probably have to be developed for this express purpose.) Unfortunately, this just isn't affordable and so isn't feasible.
  3. Change the rules (or to resolve the problem in the U.S., just the USATT Tournament Guide) to specify that any racket that passes the racket testing procedure shall be deemed legal for that tournament. Then boosting becomes normal, and the only change is that the few top players who currently don't boost because it is illegal will no longer be handicapped since their boosted rackets would be declared legal.

Number three seems the only possible solution. Some would argue that they would still be cheating, since they have used a "treatment" on their racket – but any treatment is a matter of degree. Cleaning your rubber with water or racket cleaner is a treatment, but doesn't rise to the level that's considered a treatment. All this does is set the limit for what is considered to have been a treatment.

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/14/2017 at 7:15pm
bmann1942
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Olio Olio wrote:

Coming back to the original question...

It is difficult to formally prove such a broad statement.

However, all the pros I know boost. And all the good Chinese players I know (very good players, but not even pros) boost.

I know (and you know) what some of them use, but that does not make a big difference.

I even doubt that TB and MJ are not boosting. I think they get their treated rubbers straight from BTY (which would then be legal), but that's just me assuming.

i heard that TB use dymax booster
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 9:30pm
OK in all seriousness, as an economics student (long paragraph[s] alert)

Considering this in terms of the table tennis economy objectively, banning tuning outright (no factory or self tuning) would cause the majority of modern table tennis rubbers to be removed from the market, which would result in a downturn and therefore reducing the popularity of table tennis, or at least an outflow from players who outburst due to missing their old rubbers, which would reduce funding for the ITTF, for example but not limited to reasons such as advertising budgets for such brands going down. And we all know what a reduced budget does for the sport, lower quality everything pretty much and the sport popularity goes way down. 

Also, a separate point is that slower table tennis play is (pretty much) objectively less entertaining than faster, witness men's vs women's tennis. Unless we're all mysogynists, the reason men are getting paid more is because of higher numbers, which proves my point.

Outright banning tuning would remove any grey areas, for example Timo or other pros claiming he doesn't boost but receiving a heavily boosted T05 that would be rock hard had it not been, and would literally mean pros would have to play with stuff like Sriver/Mark V at a maximum for speed, rubbers such as MX-P would be banned in an instant, no questions asked. 

I feel like this is a trade off between entertainment/popularity/economy of the sport for reasons I have mentioned above or morality/ethics (for lack of better words). 

I think the former is a better choice in my humble opinion. I'm not here to convince you which trade off is better, but there is a reason why the sport has moved on and I'm actually the one presenting my argument unlike someone who is just copy/pasting random articles and pictures of prott.vip (???).

Anyone else agree or am I the only one?

Edited by SmackDAT - 09/14/2017 at 9:32pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 10:42pm
The rule is stupid!!

- Boosting oils are widely available.
- VOCs are not present in these oils so they are not a health risk.
- This only applies to official ITTF tournaments.
- Factory tuned rubbers make the ITTF's position ambiguous.
- The ITTF is unable to enforce the rule for lack of equipment.
- The ITTF real agenda is to slow down game play, it's not about the health risks to the players or     keep the game fair for everyone. The ITTF is in the business of making money, I don't buy for one    second they really care about the players health of fairness of the games otherwise they would deal with the issue of illegal serves which IS a bigger problem than the use of boosters.
- The new plastic ball is another effort by the ITTF to slow down the game. I don't buy the BS that it was about making it safer bc celluloid was flammable or whatever. They made celluloid balls for nearly a century, what took them so long to decide?

Sometimes rules are stupid and should be changed. For example, once SLAVERY was legal! But we recognised it was wrong and we changed the laws. The US got in a terrible civil war over it while other countries simply changed the laws regarding slavery. Another example of a failed policy....

FdT

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

The rule is stupid!!

- Boosting oils are widely available.
- VOCs are not present in these oils so they are not a health risk.
- This only applies to official ITTF tournaments.
- Factory tuned rubbers make the ITTF's position ambiguous.
- The ITTF is unable to enforce the rule for lack of equipment.
- The ITTF real agenda is to slow down game play, it's not about the health risks to the players or     keep the game fair for everyone. The ITTF is in the business of making money, I don't buy for one    second they really care about the players health of fairness of the games otherwise they would deal with the issue of illegal serves which IS a bigger problem than the use of boosters.
- The new plastic ball is another effort by the ITTF to slow down the game. I don't buy the BS that it was about making it safer bc celluloid was flammable or whatever. They made celluloid balls for nearly a century, what took them so long to decide?

Sometimes rules are stupid and should be changed. For example, once SLAVERY was legal! But we recognised it was wrong and we changed the laws. The US got in a terrible civil war over it while other countries simply changed the laws regarding slavery. Another example of a failed policy....

FdT

if the game slows down you create the perfect market for table tennis companies anf new rubbers and blades will be required to adapt the new ball the ittf is the salesman of the tt industry
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 1:04am
Fulanodetal,
I agree with your comment.
In my opinion, ITTF should allow the use of boosters or speed glue to improve performance of rubbers.
These rubbers and sponges are already treated with chemicals and whatever base materials during the manufacturing process, meaning they are no more natural rubbers and these rubbers as we should know have different characteristics; spring technology, high tension tech etc.
If some rubber manufacturers are allowed to treat and alter the natural character of rubbers to make 'high' performance rubbers, why cant others do it; including individuals (players).
It is worth noting that in ITTF sanctioned tournaments, they have always insisted on having a well ventilated area or room for gluing purposes. Does this not say something ?
Its not particularly nice to say this or that player is cheating because he/she boosted the rubbers when manufacturers are already doing those though doing so in different manners.
I had earlier commented that the coaches are the culprits, but what do we know, they may be actually saying that since these manufacturers are already 'cheating' they might very well join in; so long as they are not caught.
At this stage, I feel ITTF should do away with this restriction. For undue advantages; there are such other requirements as in sponge thickness and overall thickness of rubbers and maybe others.
of course there is the business side of the equation but whichever way it is, manufacturers are very innovative and it certainly has been business all along. Do not believe these manufacturers are doing us a social favour; they are in for the money. 

penholderxxx
Iloveplayingtabletennis
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 9:16am
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1485041144925021&id=145007505595065
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 9:51am
Should Lebron James be introduced to the Hall of Fame? His constant travelling has not been called by referees. You have resorted to calling the current best players cheaters, in order to diminish how much better they are than the players in the hard-bat era. This shows you are running out of arguments.

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

And why then should any player who willfully and deliberately ignores an ITTF regulation deserve admittance to the International Table Tennis Hall of Fame, no matter how impressive his or her table tennis accomplishments?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 10:08am
Berndt is stuck in the past. He still living in the mid 1950's. No Beatles, No Stanley Kubrick, no JFK, no Moon landing, no Michael Jackson, no MTV, no Playstation, no internet....oops, we found a flaw!! He did find the internet somehow!!!

FdT.

Edited by Fulanodetal - 09/15/2017 at 10:12am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 12:06pm
The ITTF should allow boosters. 
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 12:46pm

+1
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 2:19pm

The ITTF should allow boosters. 

The ITTF already allows rubbers that are factory boosted.  

Why should the ITTF allow additional boosting with boosting oils by almost all of the world's top professionals?  It is because boosting, either factory tuned or additionally boosted, can't be detected and therefore the anti-boosting oil regulation can't presently be enforced?  

Boosting oils may be a slippery slope on the way to a chasm for a sport which is already imprisoned by its own technological innovations.  Suppose in the next 20 or 30 years boosting oils are developed with superior qualities to the present ones with regard to imparting increased speed and spin to a table tennis rubber, whether factory boosted or not.  Then what?  

And suppose ingenious engineers might sometime in the near future come up with a device that can detect the presence of boosting oils and the ITTF rules regarding the use of boosting oils are still in force?  (Since I am not a chemist nor an engineer, I don't know whether such a thing is possible).  But if it is, then what?

It is now pretty well certain that almost all of the world's best players boost their rubbers.  Even if you think that the present ITTF regulations regarding the use of boosting oils are stupid and unenforceable, the ITTF has made its position quite clear regarding this practice.  And I have made my position quite clear regarding this practice.  And International Level coach and contributor to this forum Larry Hodges has made his position quite clear regarding this practice. It is cheating.  If the ITTF amends its regulations to permit the use of boosting oils, well then boost away, and may the best booster prevail.  

Three resounding cheers for 1970s Sriver, Super Sriver, and Mark V, as well as their predecessors. Un-speed glued, of course.  No player of any reputation needs or for that matter needed recourse to speed glue.  No present day player of any reputation needs recourse to boosting or tuning oils in order to play a world class game of table tennis, unless that player has reason to fear that, now matter how rigorous his or her training, he or she feels (and I am not a mind reader) a need to do so. 

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/15/2017 at 3:47pm
bmann1942
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 5:23pm
Berndt, your argument leads nowhere. It is mostly a waste of words.
I have neither the time nor energy to make my point clear to you.
And chances are you might not understand anyway.

Ittf will not ban boosters. They are economically dependent on the rubber manufacturers. This has been mentioned here before. They either will keep it vague like this to make anyone happy or just flat out allow it. I however doubt that they will do the latter, because it would lead to more people boosting themselves, resulting in lower sales of preboosted rubbers. There should be rubber manufacturer lobbyists among the ITTF officials, so these will protect their interests.

Capitalism is mighty and its mechanics apply to tt as they do anywhere else.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 5:27pm

And International Level coach and contributor to this forum Larry Hodges has made his position quite clear regarding this practice. It is cheating.  If the ITTF amends its regulations to permit the use of boosting oils, well then boost away, and may the best booster prevail.  

Why do you always name-drop in your futile attempts to appeal to authority Berndt? Larry is of no higher position than the ITTF officials who are presiding over this matter. Your argument is logically unsound, as usual.
DTopSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 10:33pm
I dunno - it seems pretty simple to me.

Lance Armstrong was a cheat while winning his Tour De France titles. He was still a phenomenal athlete, and his cheating simply gave him a level playing field with everybody else who was also apparently cheating, but it doesn't mean that because his cheating was undetectable by the authorities of cycling at the time that it was OK. It was still cheating.

Today's top players are also great athletes, highly skilled, and play amazing table tennis at a level never seen before. But those of them that boost their own rubbers (whoever they are) are still cheating. The fact that the ITTF can't detect it doesn't make it OK. The possibility that almost every pro is doing it also doesn't make it OK. It is certainly understandable that such pros want a level playing field when it is their livelihood, but it is still cheating.

For you Americans out there, how do you feel about corked bats in baseball? Is that a silly rule, that is currently unenforceable unless the bat breaks and shows the evidence. How many players use corked bats? Or is it simply cheating because the rules say you are not allowed to use a corked bat?

That said, I personally think that the current boosting rule is silly - if the ITTF know they can't enforce it, they should be looking for alternative ways to achieve what the rule is supposed to do. But I don't see how that makes something that is obviously breaking the rules suddenly OK. 

Of course, my 2c only. Bear in mind that as a lifelong chopper/combi bat player who is currently using hardbat, perhaps my point of view is biased. Wink
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2017 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

And International Level coach and contributor to this forum Larry Hodges has made his position quite clear regarding this practice. It is cheating.  If the ITTF amends its regulations to permit the use of boosting oils, well then boost away, and may the best booster prevail.  

Why do you always name-drop in your futile attempts to appeal to authority Berndt? Larry is of no higher position than the ITTF officials who are presiding over this matter. Your argument is logically unsound, as usual.

Not only that, Larry Hodges's conclusion was that boosting should be legalised.

I reckon the raising of the net as high as it takes is the way to go if the ITTF is dead set on slowing the game down. You can't fake or cheat the height of the net; it becomes a bigger obstacle and physics will dictate slower shots.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 12:25am
" But those of them that boost their own rubbers (whoever they are) are still cheating. The fact that the ITTF can't detect it doesn't make it OK. The possibility that almost every pro is doing it also doesn't make it OK."

You raise a few points that on first reading seem reasonable.

Here's where I disagree.

The ITTF is bent on slowing the game down. Speed, Spin and Placement are the primary tactical elements in table tennis. They are messing with the core of the game. Screw that!! The boosting rule is a way to slow the game down. The new ball is a way to slow the game down. SCREW THAT!! Screw the ITTF!!! You are being naive if you think the ITTF cares about "fair game" or the health of the players. I've already pointed out they don't address the problem of illegal serves for example.

Speed and spin are the heart of the game. And the ITTF overlords want to dumb the game down. Why should we let them?

FdT.

Edited by Fulanodetal - 09/16/2017 at 12:48am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 12:43am
Originally posted by DTopSpirit DTopSpirit wrote:

I dunno - it seems pretty simple to me.

Lance Armstrong was a cheat while winning his Tour De France titles. He was still a phenomenal athlete, and his cheating simply gave him a level playing field with everybody else who was also apparently cheating, but it doesn't mean that because his cheating was undetectable by the authorities of cycling at the time that it was OK. It was still cheating.

Today's top players are also great athletes, highly skilled, and play amazing table tennis at a level never seen before. But those of them that boost their own rubbers (whoever they are) are still cheating. The fact that the ITTF can't detect it doesn't make it OK. The possibility that almost every pro is doing it also doesn't make it OK. It is certainly understandable that such pros want a level playing field when it is their livelihood, but it is still cheating.

For you Americans out there, how do you feel about corked bats in baseball? Is that a silly rule, that is currently unenforceable unless the bat breaks and shows the evidence. How many players use corked bats? Or is it simply cheating because the rules say you are not allowed to use a corked bat?

That said, I personally think that the current boosting rule is silly - if the ITTF know they can't enforce it, they should be looking for alternative ways to achieve what the rule is supposed to do. But I don't see how that makes something that is obviously breaking the rules suddenly OK. 

Of course, my 2c only. Bear in mind that as a lifelong chopper/combi bat player who is currently using hardbat, perhaps my point of view is biased. Wink

Greg, so you basically agree with Berndt that because Ma Long could be cheating, no one should ever consider him greater than any of the hardbat era champions that Berndt worships so feverishly?

And do you consider Lebron James' 5 MVPs and 3 Finals-MVPs forever-tainted because NBA League officials constantly let him take 4 steps to the hoop, commit blatant charges and palm the ball whenever he crab-dribbles? By that logic he should never be consider a greater player than any of the previous MVPs, it that correct? 

In addition, you believe that both Ma Long and LeBron are at the same level as Lance Armstrong or pro baseball batters using corked bats in terms of "cheating" with boosted rubbers (even when ITTF specifically relies on on-site testing to determine legality of each rubber, and Ma Long never failed it in any tournament he's won) and unstoppable drives to the hoop, am I correct to assume that's your conclusion?

Lastly Greg, should "greatness" be judged on purity and legality alone? By that logic, you should realize that in the hardbat era most civil rights as we know today did not even exist in the U.S. or the U.K. Many minorities -if not most- were legally barred from participating in Caucasian-dominated activities. That was legalized cheating at its finest by segregation and by excluding potential competition. Was that ok?

Edited by roundrobin - 09/16/2017 at 12:59am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 3:56am
RR, I missed you at the LA Open... maybe you come out to Westside for the Round Robin in a few weeks when I roll into town again...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 4:12am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

RR, I missed you at the LA Open... maybe you come out to Westside for the Round Robin in a few weeks when I roll into town again...

Haha BH-Man I will be moving to your neighborhood soon! Expect me to play in the D.C. area for the next five years! Smile
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 9:20am
Actually if you read Berndt's last comment carefully (final paragraph), he is in essence saying that no player from Klampar and Joyner on deserves to be called great, except possibly Timo and JM, if in fact the chemicals that produce a boosting effect are truly missing from their rubbers.

This is in fact an evolution of his views, since it includes a number of players from after 1959!  LOL
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 5:52pm

Actually if you read Berndt's last comment carefully (final paragraph), he is in essence saying that no player from Klampar and Joyner on deserves to be called great, except possibly Timo and JM, if in fact the chemicals that produce a boosting effect are truly missing from their rubbers.

This is in fact an evolution of his views, since it includes a number of players from after 1959!  LOL

Actually, if you had read my last comment carefully (final paragraph), here's what it said: 

Three resounding cheers for 1970s Sriver, Super Sriver, and Mark V, as well as their predecessors. Un-speed glued, of course.  No player of any reputation needs or for that matter needed recourse to speed glue.  No present day player of any reputation needs recourse to boosting or tuning oils in order to play a world class game of table tennis, unless that player has reason to fear that, now matter how rigorous his or her training, he or she feels (and I am not a mind reader) a need to do so.   Nothing whatsoever about Klampar and Jonyer or Timo or JM.

And you keep referring to the year 1959 as if it were some kind of mantra.  Yes the year 1959 was a year which will live in table tennis infamy.  But seven years of tt anarchy proceeded that year when foam bats, waffle bats, tire tread bats, sandwich sponge bats (probably short pipped) and hardbats competed together in some devilish potpourii.  

Table tennis as a sport one could take seriously ended in 1955, when Angelica Rozeanu won the last of her six world singles table tennis championships.

If it pleases you to persist in dropping ad hominem bombs onto my ancient ass, it would help to get your facts straight.  

As for roundrobin's tu quoque (you too) rants, Greg Letts can either choose to respond to them or ignore them, as he pleases.

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/16/2017 at 5:54pm
bmann1942

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 6:31pm

Greg, so you basically agree with Berndt that because Ma Long could be cheating, no one should ever consider him greater than any of the hardbat era champions that Berndt worships so feverishly? 

No. I did not say that. I do not basically agree with Berndt on that. I have no opinion about whether he is greater than hardbat area champions, Waldner etc. 

Ma Long is innocent until proven guilty. And there is no way to now know whether his previous wins have been done with rubber he boosted himself, since as far as I know the ITTF don't hold on to the old rubbers to allow retesting years later, unlike Armstrong's blood samples etc. So only he will know. 

But if he boosted them, he's still a cheat, just like Armstrong. And a great athlete too, just like Armstrong was.

And do you consider Lebron James' 5 MVPs and 3 Finals-MVPs forever-tainted because NBA League officials constantly let him take 4 steps to the hoop, commit blatant charges and palm the ball whenever he crab-dribbles? By that logic he should never be consider a greater player than any of the previous MVPs, it that correct? 

I don't follow NBA, but wouldn't that be more along the lines of the baseball umpire's strike zone, which should be the same but actually differs from umpire to umpire? Or the table tennis hidden serve rule, which many umpires interpret differently? An actual law that has to be subjectively judged by an umpire in the heat of battle during a game? Not quite the same thing, in my opinion.

In addition, you believe that both Ma Long and LeBron are at the same level as Lance Armstrong or pro baseball batters using corked bats in terms of "cheating" with boosted rubbers (even when ITTF specifically relies on on-site testing to determine legality of each rubber, and Ma Long never failed it in any tournament he's won) and unstoppable drives to the hoop, am I correct to assume that's your conclusion? 

No, you are not correct in assuming that's my opinion. I didn't assign levels to the cheating, or rate the seriousness of the offence. You just did that. 

As I said above, Ma Long and the other pros are innocent until proven guilty, as far as I am concerned. But if they boost the rubbers themselves when the rules say you shouldn't, they are cheats, regardless of whether they are caught. Are they big cheats or little cheats? Depends on how you view the seriousness of boosting. But cheats they are.

Lastly Greg, should "greatness" be judged on purity and legality alone? By that logic, you should realize that in the hardbat era most civil rights as we know today did not even exist in the U.S. or the U.K. Many minorities -if not most- were legally barred from participating in Caucasian-dominated activities. That was legalized cheating at its finest by segregation and by excluding potential competition. Was that ok?

I don't worry about judging greatness of players. I admire the old timers and the current modern players. I also admire the old hardbat play and the modern game too. Judge greatness however you want. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

" But those of them that boost their own rubbers (whoever they are) are still cheating. The fact that the ITTF can't detect it doesn't make it OK. The possibility that almost every pro is doing it also doesn't make it OK."

You raise a few points that on first reading seem reasonable.

Here's where I disagree.

The ITTF is bent on slowing the game down. Speed, Spin and Placement are the primary tactical elements in table tennis. They are messing with the core of the game. Screw that!! The boosting rule is a way to slow the game down. The new ball is a way to slow the game down. SCREW THAT!! Screw the ITTF!!! You are being naive if you think the ITTF cares about "fair game" or the health of the players. I've already pointed out they don't address the problem of illegal serves for example.

Speed and spin are the heart of the game. And the ITTF overlords want to dumb the game down. Why should we let them?

FdT.

It is quite possible that the boosting rule is there to slow the game down. 
You may even be correct that speed and spin are the heart of the game.
You could be right that the ITTF shouldn't be messing around with this stuff.

But the rules are the rules, and the ITTF are the guys who are running the show and making the rules for the sport. You can:

(i) follow the rules;
(ii) get involved in the official side of things and work towards changing the rules:
(iii) break the rules.
(iv) start a new organization and make your own rules.

Option (iii) make you a cheater, however well-justified.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 7:07pm
Greg, you throw the word "cheater" around too readily. Aren't you a cheater too in life? When was the last time you drive above the speed limit? Today? Never? Have you ever crossed a street not using the lawfully designated pedestrian crosswalk? Like it or not, there are different degrees of cheating. Equating Ma Long's use of a boosted rubber to Lance Armstrong' extensive use of oxigenated blood transfusions and PEDs does not make sense unless you are Jesus yourself. If you are not Jesus then you are also a cheater like all of us. Stop accusing others of being cheaters without taking everything into context.

Edited by roundrobin - 09/16/2017 at 7:18pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 7:33pm

Table tennis chief slams 'doped rubbers' accusations

0 Comment(s)Print E-mailXinhua, February 26, 2016
Adjust font size: 

International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) President Thomas Weikert Thursday refuted fellow German Timo Boll's accusations that most of players are "doping" their rubbers in competitions.

"The ITTF has comprehensive racket testing procedures in place to ensure that everyone is on a level playing field," Weikert told Xinhua by phone.

"Timo is allowed to have an opinion on this issue, but I am confident that our testing procedures are doing the job to prevent boosting."

Boll told German media early this month that players are using illegal methods to improve their game.

"About 80 percent of the international players are playing with rackets which do not conform to the rules of the ITTF," he said to German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine.

"The rubbers are treated with chemicals to increase the catapult effect when hitting. This applies not only for the Chinese players, but for Europeans and other Asians too."

"In order to prove this, the rubber has to be removed from the racket and sent to the lab. That's what I am encouraging since long ago. But the ITTF considers this unreasonable. "

The multi-time European champion accused Chinese of gaining "an advantage by using illegal rubbers".

The ITTF president didn't agree.

"Since many years, the Chinese players are the best in the world, due to the very professional structure, their very hard work under the eyes of many very well educated coaches and the search for new talents who could be successful in table tennis," said Weikert.

"To make a long story short: because of that, they are 'Simply the Best'... Like Tina Turner says in her famous song."

The ITTF rules mandate the covering material on rackets should be used as it has been authorized by the ITTF - "without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, color, structure, surface, etc."

Follow China.org.cn on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
Do those "comprehensive testing procedures" actually detect a boosted rubber, whether factory tuned or not or factory tuned and additionally tuned by boosting oils?  If not, Mr. Weikert is being at best disingenuous; at worst he does not understand the testing procedures of the international organization of which he is the president.
As for roundrobin, his comments are once again irrevelant.  This thread is about illegal boosting by in particular the members of the Chinese National Team but by extension cheating by almost all professional table tennis players., not about whether or not anyone has cheated at any time during his or her life.
http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2016-02/26/content_37879105.htm

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/16/2017 at 7:36pm
bmann1942

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2017 at 7:37pm

Greg, you throw the word "cheater" around too readily. Aren't you a cheater too in life? When was the last time you drive above the speed limit? Today? Never? Have you ever crossed a street not using the lawfully designated pedestrian crosswalk? Like it or not, there are different degrees of cheating. Equating Ma Long's use of a boosted rubber to Lance Armstrong' extensive use of oxigenated blood transfusions and PEDs does not make sense unless you are Jesus yourself. If you are not Jesus then you are also a cheater like all of us. Stop accusing others of being cheaters without taking everything into context.

I will throw it around as often and readily as I like. Especially since I'm not claiming that any particular pro is boosting his or her rubber. I don't know whether Ma Long is boosting his, and I'm not claiming that he is. Although I notice that you seem to think he is. As I said before, he is innocent until proven guilty. 

I agree there are different degrees of cheating. I can't say I've spent any time thinking about measuring the seriousness of racket boosting, it's not really something I'm concerned about.

Do you really want to go with the "he who is without sin cast the first stone" argument? That is the best you can come up with?

If you (the general you, not you specifically) boost your rubbers and break the ITTF rules, you are a cheater. That is simply the textbook type definition of cheating. It doesn't matter whether I, imperfect as I am, or Jesus himself comes down from on high and says it. You still are. And so are the pros who do it. I'm not making a moral judgement. I don't care personally if they do or not. But breaking the rules on purpose in a sports game makes you a cheater. A big cheat or a little cheat? Not my call. But I will continue to call it cheating, whether you like it or not. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic