FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nittaku Premium 40+ balls (Japan)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:01am
Being on the Westchester email list, I can confirm that they used the Poly ball for the open event in September.
Here is the relevant part of the email:
Plastic Balls   The open event this month will feature the new ITTF-approved plastic ball. All other events will continue to use the old celluloid ball. We plan to gradually switch over to the plastic ball for all events over the next few months.
Sponsored Links

Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:12am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

The open event this month will feature the new ITTF-approved plastic ball.

Even in that case it would be 1 out of 14 participants, which is a tiny minority again, or a little bit more if someone plays both in this event and 1 or two others.

Edited by Mastermind - 10/22/2014 at 12:15am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:17am
That was for September.  As stated in that email, they will be using it for more and more events over the next few months.  Unless they changed their minds, I have to assume that at minimum the Open event in October will again use the plastic ball and quite possibly other events as well.  

Whether we like it or not, tournaments will slowly switch to the plastic ball. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:26am
So really, "MM" what exactly is your F*********NG point?  Yes, there are some tournaments that will stick with celluloid for now, but others here in the US have already used plastic and that is becoming a trend in my part of the US.  This state has a geographical area greater than Germany which means that most people here mostly play tournaments in state.  In the upcoming months ahead, it is quite likely that in other places people will be competing with plastic balls.  And some people who haven't tried them are just curious.  They want to know what these balls are like, maybe don't want to buy them.  So much of what you have written about plastic balls is demonstrably biased (and sometimes full of crap) and it reveals an almost single minded obsession.  And yes, just repeating something you saw somewhere on a website can still be full of crap even if you didn't originate the crap.   

Look, I didn't like that ITTF pushed this through.  Now I am trying my best to give objective information about these balls based on personal experience with these balls (and decades of playing) supplemented by experiences of clubmates, one of whom was once ranked in the top 100 in the world.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 7:36am
Westchester has switched completely over to the plastic ball.  They sent out an email regarding the October tournament and this was included:

Plastic Balls   All events this weekend will use the new plastic, white, 3-star JOOLA balls.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 9:09am
Where is it on their website?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 9:52am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Where is it on their website?

It doesn't look like they posted it on the website yet.  If you're going to their events, it might be a good idea to sign up for their email list.  They used to have a signup sheet at the front desk - I'm not sure if they still do as I haven't been there in quite a while.  I have to assume you can contact them to get added.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 9:55am
Oh no hookumsnivy.  Something can only be true if you can find it some place on the internet.  Then it has to be true no matter how implausible.  All deep thinkers know that!  LOL
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:06am
I think Baal is doing a great job in terms of keeping us informed about the new balls as well as reviewing the best ones so we don't waste money on buying crap.

I don't know why that dude is on your case, Baal.

Thanks for the reviews. Keep them coming.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:31am
Back on topic. It looks like Nittaku stopped producing their premium 40+ plastic, since one can not order them. What could be the reason for that?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:38am
Out here in NJ, friendly local leagues have moved to plastic. At LYTTC, it is the 1st div league. At NJTTC, it is their entire Sat & Mon leagues.

I've played with plastic recently at the NJTTC league.

However, I don't believe what I wrote above is actually true (even though I experienced it) as I agree with Mastermind's logic & this ball change isn't mentioned on their website. I should trust the organizers' word as opposed to someone else's.

Edited by slevin - 10/22/2014 at 10:40am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:56am
By the way, it is an interesting question, why the organizers would provide false information about the balls used in their entry form. At the first glance this is totally against common sense.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Mastermind Mastermind wrote:

By the way, it is an interesting question, why the organizers would provide false information about the balls used in their entry form. At the first glance this is totally against common sense.

The entire purpose is to give you something to troll about.  This is quite obviously also the reason why Nittaku 40+ Premium balls are currently not being sold. (It's not because they are bad balls, although you tried to claim they were).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Mastermind Mastermind wrote:

Man, you are one of the most logical people I have ever met.  Your mastermind probably comes complete with computer modules to replace the usual human emotional and empathetic faculties.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:26am
NL, Unfortunately the computer in question  has entered an infinite loop from which it can never escape.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:40am
Clubs who have anyone going to Nationals this year should definitely find any type of plastic ball to practice with. And the fact that Nationals is using a plastic ball is a good sign that other major tournaments in the US are going to be using them very soon.

At the same time I think its really stupid for Nationals to use the plastic ball since its obviously difficult to find a consistent quality ball to practice with on a daily basis, before Decemeber.

A catch-22? Clubs and tournaments at any level shouldn't be switching to the new ball until manufacturers can mass produce a good, consistent product, which is probably still a year or two away. But the only way to pressure manufacturers to do so, is with bad press and scandalous situations, by prematurely using them in major tournaments, etc.

Confused

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Clubs who have anyone going to Nationals this year should definitely find any type of plastic ball to practice with. And the fact that Nationals is using a plastic ball is a good sign that other major tournaments in the US are going to be using them very soon.

At the same time I think its really stupid for Nationals to use the plastic ball since its obviously difficult to find a consistent quality ball to practice with on a daily basis, before Decemeber.

A catch-22? Clubs and tournaments at any level shouldn't be switching to the new ball until manufacturers can mass produce a good, consistent product, which is probably still a year or two away. But the only way to pressure manufacturers to do so, is with bad press and scandalous situations, by prematurely using them in major tournaments, etc.

Confused

The other thing is that I am not personally convinced that they will actually be using the plastic ball they originally announced (the Nittaku Premium 40+ Japan) which is currently on back order (for reasons unknown and which would pointless to speculate about).  Maybe USATT already has a big supply stored up for Nationals but that would surprise (although a happy one because they have the nicest playing properties).  I think there is at least some possibility that they will use the Nittaku SHA instead, which is quite different--in my experience the same as DHS (since it is made by them). 

So how to deal with it?  There is not obviously correct answer.  My recommendation is train some with XSF balls (high bounce like Nittaku Premium, but a touch slightly slower and floats a bit more sometimes) and some with Nittaku SHA (lower bounce than the premiums) so you can be familiar enough to adjust a bit not matter what you end up using.  But if you are going to play at the North American Teams, which is coming earlier, then train some with the Joola 40+.  It is very bad that we have to take this kind of thing into consideration and that different balls are sufficiently different that you have to take account of it in your training.  I am also dissapointed that Nittaku in Japan is having some issues with production.  But you do have to account for it, and the situation is pretty messed up at the moment.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:53am
Paddlepalace is working with USATT on how to sell balls to only the people playing in the Nationals.  Go to paddlepalace.com and look at the Nittaku Premium ball for details.
Cybershape Carbon
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:03pm
Baal and Others with experience with the Nittaku Premium and other poly balls.

For the time being which ball is the closest to the Nittaku Premium that will be used at US Nationals
1. Regular celluloid - (any particular brand?)
2. XSF seamless poly 40+
3. DHS (and its variants) seamed poly 40+
4. Double Fish seamed poly 40+

Right now I have a supply of Nittaku SHA 40+ poly and the club has a few XSF 40+.

Mark
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:23pm
The most similar is XSF. The hardest to adjust to is Joola/DHS. Use plastic for sure to practice. The Nittaku ball feels lighter than DHS so I can't simply recommend DHS for practice. So use XSF.
Cybershape Carbon
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:40pm
Are all the chinese seamless balls made by xushoafa?  For example, are my sample galaxy balls xsf?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Are all the chinese seamless balls made by xushoafa?  For example, are my sample galaxy balls xsf?
Yes.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:50pm

Yes, but they may not be the same grade as the XSF ITTF-approved balls. (Unless they are ITTF approved themselves).  XSF also makes some seamless training balls that remind me of what they were making a year ago -- sound broken, really soft, really pretty bad balls all in all (for example the IPong training balls). 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:52pm

The most similar is XSF. The hardest to adjust to is Joola/DHS. Use plastic for sure to practice. The Nittaku ball feels lighter than DHS so I can't simply recommend DHS for practice. So use XSF.

I agree.  If your next big tournament is Nationals, train with XSF until you can get your hands on Nittaku Premium.  If your next tournament is NA Teams, train with Joola 40+ (or Nittaku SHA, not that different)
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 1:17pm
Well, the galaxy samples are ittf approved, but I can't find anybody who doesn't hate them.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 1:57pm

Well, the galaxy samples are ittf approved, but I can't find anybody who doesn't hate them.

The seamless ball doesn't shine unless it is compared to other plastic balls in match play (and not with celluloid).  Some people reject them out of hand because they sound different.  A few others just prefer the seamed balls.  People who actually play matches with the seamless balls and compare the matches to those they play with the seamed plastic ball quickly prefer the seamless ball if they are higher level because they have fewer adjustments to make.  
Cybershape Carbon
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I agree.  If your next big tournament is Nationals, train with XSF until you can get your hands on Nittaku Premium.  If your next tournament is NA Teams, train with Joola 40+ (or Nittaku SHA, not that different)

It will be interesting to see over time how adaptable tournament players will be to moving to and from various balls and whether it makes them better players or ruins there game  Average players <2K  will probably avoid tournaments that offer balls they are not familiar with so next year will probably be a shakeout year in the sport both for clubs and tournaments.  
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 2:30pm
I think we will find that there will be very little difference in the poly balls, just about the same as the celluloid balls.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 2:43pm
Well, not as things stand now, although I have to say that the more I play with XSF the easier it becomes to play with the seamed balls (compared to when I first switched over from celluloid).  I think that is because once I am used to the effects of playing with a larger ball (true for all of the plastic ones) then it is easier to account for the low bounce (characteristic of Chinese seamed balls and not the others).  As things stand now, the various types of seamed balls are not the same and the variability in the way they play is much greater than we ever had between different brands of cellluloid.  This has to improve, it just has to.  This is most apparent in bounce height, and secondarily in hardness.

In any case, whichever plastic ball you use, count on a couple of months before you kind of instinctively know what is going on in matches. 

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Well, not as things stand now, although I have to say that the more I play with XSF the easier it becomes to play with the seamed balls (compared to when I first switched over from celluloid).  I think that is because once I am used to the effects of playing with a larger ball (true for all of the plastic ones) then it is easier to account for the low bounce (characteristic of Chinese seamed balls and not the others).  As things stand now, the various types of seamed balls are not the same and the variability in the way they play is much greater than we ever had between different brands of cellluloid.  This has to improve, it just has to.

This is absolutely the worst aspect of the change, by a long way. The variation in characteristics between the DHS and XSF balls is massive. Very difficult to train and adjust to the new ball when you play with quite different balls each week. It's a joke, and we can only hope that it's a short-term situation.

Everyone I've spoken to so far in my local league had been unaware of how different the different types of poly ball are (not many people are bothering with them at this stage, and if they are then they've only used one type). It's going to be a big shock next season.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic