FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Kanaph review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Kanaph review
    Posted: 10/17/2014 at 7:13am
Blade: Nexy Kanaph
Speed: OFF  8,7-8,8 / control 8,0-8,2
Handle type: Straight
Weight: 80 gramms
Thickness: 5,65 - 5,70mm
Stiffness: Nearly stiff
5 ply-wood  (3 wood/burnt kiri core + 2 carbon)
Rubbers used for the test: Butterfly Tenergy05 2,1mm both sides

My first impression of the blade is, as other reviewers mentioned, how beautiful it is.Many bravos to Nexy team for this spectacular blade whicha has nothing to be jealous of any Nittaku or Butterfly blade as the quality and craftmanship regards. The finish is exceptional with no grains or imperfections. I liked this blade so much from the first time I saw it, that I had to put a tennis overgrip (simple solution) on the handle in order not to get dirty (I have uplodead photo to take a look).

-Speed: Nexy Kanaph is a pure OFF blade in my opinion. Some other reviewers said that it is off-/off, others off/off+, but in my hands seems to be a pure OFF, so I agree with yogi's opinion. When I hit the ball in warming up, I thought that I would be really fascinated by this blade. It has a very nice sound which I think it is a mixure made from the burnt kiri, the carbon layers and the hinoki outers. When I hit the ball normally and aggressively, I felt little vibrations, so here I will dissagree with yogi, I found it nearly stiff and not completely stiff. As a player who doesn't like flexibility and vibrations, I am not complaining about these little vibrations...in fact they are not annoying at all.

-Spin (looping-counte looping-pushing/underspin): The blade was tested with celluloid balls only, so I have to say that the blade generates a significant amount of topsipn. I had a very nice feeling when I was looping and its arc is medium. I could easily loop from close to the table and mid-distance. Far from the table, I looped well too, but I don't like looping from that far, so I didn't play much time from that distance. I could also counterloop very nice and easy, so no problem with this shot too. About receiving an underspin serve with short push (short underspin), I hadn't any problems-I could manage every serve pretty easy.

-Control: It is a very nice controlable, OFF blade.No difficulties in blocking and in passive shots too.The ball stays on the table but I think that it is not SO forgiving as the the viscaria is (personal opinion), but still very controlable. As I mentioned there are little vibrations, as the blade is nearly stiff, but they are not annoying such as nittaku acoustic are for example.

For conclusion I have t say that it is a great racket wit lots of advantages and almost no dissadvantages. It is ideal for offensive players (aggressive, looper, blockers) who play near the table and in mid distance, Awesome when you look at it and perfect in quality. The price is a bit high though, but guys, it worths!

P.S. If I have made mistakes, sorry for my bad english.

Edited by *_strataras_* - 10/17/2014 at 7:15am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 1:59am
I hope, it`s ok, when I add my impressions here in this thread. In my eyes it does not make sense, to open one more review-thread about the Kanaph. It would be better, if someone could combine the different Kanaph-reviews to one single thread. So it would be easier to find some informations instead of using the search-function and search in several threads.

First of all thanks to arg0, who gave me the possibility to test this beautiful blade. 

If you compare the pictures of my test blade with the pictures of *_strataras_*, you will notice, that the core of my blade looks much darker than his.

I don`t know the reason, but maybe the burning-process was different in these two blades.

This was my fourth Nexy blade and each blade was special in some points. Therefore I was curious, how the Kanaph would perform, compared with the other blades (Arirang, Lissom, Inca).

First of all: the craftsmanship is top again. This is definitely one more very beautiful blade. Maybe the semi-hollow handle results in a little head-heavy feeling, not extremely, but noticeable with two modern pips-in-rubbers. Now I understand, why BH-Man filled the handle, to get a more balanced blade. The other way would be, to use lighter rubbers.

I will make it short: The Kanaph is a solid blade for blocks and drives. It`s very easy to block with this blade. The harder you block, the lower is the through. On the other side you will get a higher through on slower spin-play.

Speed is on the same level as Tibhar Inca, definitely faster than Arirang and Lissom. It is also much stiffer than Lissom.

Spin in serves = top
Spin with low power = not really spinny, but easy to play
Spin with high power = lots of spin, but a) low through and b) often too long.

If you want to produce spin with this blade, you have to get aggressive into the ball, with full power, but of course it is not easy to control such fast spins. If you play slow, the ball looks spiny, but it will be no problem for your opponent, to bring back the ball.

Conclusion: this is a blade for offensive and aggressive players, who drive, smash and block active. For me it was a nice test, but not MY blade, because I need a more balanced blade.

Edited by Magic_M - 01/15/2015 at 3:04am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 8:08am
It is the same color Magic_M, it is just because i took the photos with my camera and it had flash.As I see your photos and compare them to mine, it is the same color! Wink
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 8:12am
Ofcourse there is not problem if you post here.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 9:48am
Great honest review Magic_M !!

I modified my Kanaph and did my tourney last weekend (See Anyone want some Ratings points thread) and I basically agree with most of your observation.

I can still spin the ball with Kanaph slow and heavy, that is my preference for first topspin, but heck yes, on fast drives, this thing is CRISP !!! I had same control on BH wing as my other setups, I wished Aurus would work better, I wanted a little more heavy topspin on my first FH loop with it, but I still got opponents to block long and high (or out for points) off my opening Fh topspin, so the spin is still there, I am just a joker who craves MOAR.

Even with the extra 12 grams I added to it (in the handle area) it felt every gram as light as its original 85 gram weight (but at 97 grams before rubbers after mod)

I agree that even if you can slow heavy spin with this blade, it really shines on your more direct shots without lacking any control.

As for blocking, I do well with any inverted setup that is not Anti-rubber. Still, the crispness and how solid this blade is... these properties really helped your fast blocks when opponent was Block-head enough to fast loop it to your ready blocking power zone. I was seriously out of waist/upper legs strength by the time I made it to the Open finals that day, so I had to rely on blocking even more than I normally do, which is over 1/3 the rallies ! If anyone saw the vid, blocking with this Kanaph earned me a lot of points, whether it was fast block away, or a kill the spin block, or a continue the spin block, or simply just keep it on the table to a difficult zone and let opponent flail away...

I seriously like Kanaph and will keep using it... until I can get my pawz on the new Chedech beauty.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

If you want to produce spin with this blade, you have to get aggressive into the ball, with full power, but of course it is not easy to control such fast spins. If you play slow, the ball looks spiny, but it will be no problem for your opponent, to bring back the ball.
Magic_M, what rubbers did you use on the Kanaph? I actually found that the spin was okay on slow shots with Tenergy 05 probably due to the fairly soft outer Hinoki plies. Though the spin was not as great as on some other blades I have tested.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

... the crispness and how solid this blade is... these properties really helped your fast blocks when opponent was Block-head enough to fast loop it to your ready blocking power zone. I was seriously out of waist/upper legs strength by the time I made it to the Open finals that day, so I had to rely on blocking even more than I normally do, which is over 1/3 the rallies ! If anyone saw the vid, blocking with this Kanaph earned me a lot of points, whether it was fast block away, or a kill the spin block, or a continue the spin block, or simply just keep it on the table to a difficult zone and let opponent flail away... 
Blocking is definitely easy with Kanaph: short, long, slow, fast, every kind of blocking is possible with easy placement, but the best way is to block active with some power. That`s why I say, that the Kanaph is the right blade for attackers or aggressive spins. For a great variety of looping you will find better Nexy blades like Arirang or Lissom.

I seriously like Kanaph and will keep using it... until I can get my pawz on the new Chedech beauty.
I am looking forward to get more infos about the Zealot, because ...
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

Zealot will be the right blade, if you have been using 5 ply wooden blade, and stil want to keep that feelings onto the poly ball blade. Also more information will follow soon.
... this sounds nice in my ears. Smile
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Magic_M, what rubbers did you use on the Kanaph? I actually found that the spin was okay on slow shots with Tenergy 05 probably due to the fairly soft outer Hinoki plies. Though the spin was not as great as on some other blades I have tested.
Yes, that`s what I meant: 
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Don`t hesitate. Try to attack the ball at the highest point and with full power. The result will be lots of spin. Slow loops are harmless.

At first I tested the Kanaph with Yinhe Big Dipper because of the hype in this forum (at first out of the package, the next week boosted with 3 layers), but this rubber is nothing for me. I also tested the Yinhe Moon Speed on backhand and this fits much better for my game. Next test was with Rasant Grip on forehand and this was the best combination for me. The Rasant Grip is not too mushy, but also not so dead like Big Dipper.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 2:16pm
Haha Magic_M you make me glad I never picked up a sheet of Big Dipper. I so do NOT like dead.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2015 at 10:38am
I had a chance to play with Kanaph for about 10 hours with Xiom Vega Japan on FH and Xiom Omega V Europe on BH.  I practiced with/played against 6 players with different styles - from all out attacker to modern defender - representing USATT level between 2000 - 2300.

I won't comment on color, shape, construction, packaging, etc as these attributes have less relevance to me and have been covered by others in this, and other Kanaph review threads.  My playing observation can be summarized as follows:

- Kanaph has somewhat unique (but definitely not weird) feel relative to other blades I've used in the past, so it might take a little bit extra time for players to get used to it and appreciate its virtues
- It's an OFF range blade with very solid and crisp feel, but unlike other reviewers, I don't find this blade to be very stiff.  I could be wrong on stiffness, of course, but I actually felt that the blade had some flex and decent dwell time.  Perhaps the pronounced carbon feel (crispiness and sound) might give others the perception of stiffness (or, I'm just spending too much time on semantics, lol)
- For a carbon blade, Kanaph has surprisingly good feel and touch in short game.  I can definitely feel the ball on my racket, and drop shots, pushes and flicks were quite easy to execute for me with good accuracy.
- The blade also provides me with good feedback and I found it very predictable, in that I almost always knew why I missed my shots
- Blocks and drives were outstanding - probably the strongest part of this blade.  Whether soft spinny loops or hard loop drives, I had no problem getting the ball back with good pace and accuracy- it is really fun to play with a blade that is very stable and yet gives you nice feedback
- Imparting topspin with Kanaph was relatively easy for me, especially opening loops.  Looping of block and re-looping was spinny as well, but took a little adjustment, as my current blade's top gear is slower than Kanaph's, and Kanaph appears to have longer and flatter trajectory. 
- Kanaph's top gear is on the upper side of OFF range.  It I appears to have an "extra kick" when impacting the ball really hard.   When I went for loop kills, especially from close to the table, I was not taking any prisoners :o)
- I was even able to chop competently with this blade.  Actually, I was quite surprised (and even more so were my opponents) that even during counterlooping or fishing rallies I occasionally was able to confuse my opponents by using chops that were spinny, low and quite accurate.

Overall, this is a very competent "universal" attacking blade - not too slow, not too fast and very predictable.  I feel that many offensive players of varying styles could like it, assuming they spend a little extra time with it to get used to it's unique feel.   You probably won't like the blade, if you prefer very soft, mushy feel, or can't get used to the sound and crisp feel of pure carbon, or play mostly far away from the table and enjoy using thick, heavy, or stiff OFF+ blades.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2015 at 11:33am

Haha Magic_M you make me glad I never picked up a sheet of Big Dipper. I so do NOT like dead.

If you don't like Chinese tacky rubbers, Big Dipper is a waste of time.  If you like Chinese rubbers but do not like the effort required to use them, Big Dipper is an improvement.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2015 at 12:21pm
I have been a very public advocate of removing a lot of the tack of great allround Chinese rubbers like 999 or H3 and make them work well for me. Sponge is important to me.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2015 at 1:49pm
I used AURUS (an OLD sheet) in my tourney and made the Open final, Kanaph helped me, but it wasn't the blade doing all the work, as much as it feels it does on active blocks. There is a player behind the blade competing, but it is nice to compete when you are comfortable with your equipment and it is suitable for you.

Somewhere VictorK is smiling as he is a strong advocate of Aurus over T05 and will not be afraid to start the "I'm not good enough to use T05 yet" argument (and win). And Vic cuts right to the chase, no nonsense.

If the forum doesn't already know, there are FEW players at decent city Div 1 level (2100s USATT) who can beat you in a number of ways and doesn't rely solely on a relentless power attack. Vic has touch and intelligence and will use a dozen ways to play vs you. Vic values control and placement, but also the ability to generate spin or power when he wants it. He has evolved his game around it. You average blade isn't gunna cut it for his playing style as much as he can many work for him.

A lot of the dual impact Nexy blades are designed to be a little better performing than a stiff blade, but have the "kick" on your strong direct impacting shots. Oscar has deliberately done this with many of his later generation blades and described it a lot in his dairy thread. 
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2015 at 11:41am
You're correct BH-Man, I don't think I'm good enough to use T05 (I like T80, though) or any other >$60 rubber.  I think that most non-pro players would be better off using $20-$40 rubber, as their game wouldn't suffer at all, and could definitely improve, especially if they invested the difference in getting coaching.

As to Kanaph, I feel that for me it works better with slightly softer sponges than that in Aurus.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

- Kanaph has somewhat unique (but definitely not weird) feel relative to other blades I've used in the past, so it might take a little bit extra time for players to get used to it and appreciate its virtues

++
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by hhca hhca wrote:

Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

++

On Friday night I let a visiting player from Nigeria (2400-2500 level) hit with my Kanaph for few minutes.  After few rallies he told me that he liked it quite a bit, so I pulled out my rubbers and told him he could test drive the blade for few days.

Today, (after having it for one day only) he decided to play with Kanaph at our monthly Westchester tournament, and he won the U2500 event.  Afterwords he asked me if he could buy the blade from me ... I'm saying all that just to make an admission that I was wrong, LOL, and that for some players it doesn't take very long to appreciate Kanaph's virtues.

Edited by VictorK - 02/22/2015 at 9:18pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic