Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Perfect Weapons for Poly Balls & Acoustic Carbon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect Weapons for Poly Balls & Acoustic Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perfect Weapons for Poly Balls & Acoustic Carbon
    Posted: 10/20/2014 at 12:57am
All,

I assumed that the title is good enough to catch your attention.  Before I discussed what combinations, here is a disclaimer:  The word "Perfect" is for my game at this moment.  You may find it different, also, you can use this as a foundation to research for your "Perfect" combinations.

With the team tournament coming up fast and out of practice, I was thinking what combination that I can use with poly ball at the tournament.  I practiced with poly ball for one night and broke 4 of them in 2 games with short pips on both sides (Keyshot+Moristo SP+Joola Express Ultra).  The result wasn't good, but I understand the poly ball a little bit more.

Just like very one here, I was puzzled how the poly ball could affect my game.  I started reading and researching for new rubbers/blade combination.  I spent about 5 hours doing this.  Five-hour search is a lot to me since I don't have much time now days, but I did it.  By now, you are yelling at me: "So, tell us the combinations already..." Ok, I am not holding any longer Smile

Combination #1:  TB TriCarbon + Xiom Omega IV (Max on Forehand) + Nittaku Moristo SP (1.9mm on Backhand)

Combination #2
:  Nittaku Acoustic Carbon + Juic 999 Turbo (Max on Forehand) + Nittaku Moristo SP (1.9mm on Backhand)

So, the next question is which one do I like better?  I don't know.  I love both combinations.

Usually, I am very decisive when it comes to equipment.  I can say yes or no to certain setup; however, I think that I cracked the "Poly ball code" by accident.  Again, I love both combination.

How do they play?  Here we go...

Combination #1: This combination is very interesting because of the blade.  This blade is 105 grams, but it feels great with Omega IV Pro.  If you play close to the table (or to mid-distance), this is a great combination for all out attacks.

Blocking was easy.  Since the plastic ball has less spin and speed, this combination is a blocking machine.  If you understand spin and angle the racket correctly, the ball will be on the table.  I was surprise how easy I can block with the this combination.

Feel was everything.  Balsa core blade usually stiff and fast, but has decent feel for blocking and short game.  I could flip the ball on the table and returned short serves with no issues.  Pushing was somewhat tricky.  Even though, I could feel the ball, but pushing deep and heavy seemed to be a challenge.  Maybe, it's just me.

Looping and smashing were more consistent.  I am a lazy player.  I am the type of player that hit/loop hard the very first shot and who cares where it land because I try to avoid long rally.  This type of game is very risky, but not tonight, 90% of my shots were on the table.  I am sure, it's not me.  It was the plastic ball.  The plastic ball made it easier to loop and smash.  For smashing, this combination is perfect.  For consistent looping, this combination is easier for close-to-the-table game.  For mid-distance is ok, but it seemed slow.  Maybe the sponge is not hard enough?  For power-loop, it was ok from mid-distance, but not great.  However, counter-looping on top of the bounce was awesome with this combination.

Combination #2:  I like Nittaku Acoustic for its stability, but not for speed.  The Acoustic Carbon is great.  It has the control and the speed.  It plays well with sticky rubbers (i.e. H3, and Juic 999 Turbo, etc..).  This is an interesting combination for plastic ball.

Blocking was relatively easy, but not as easy as Combination #1.  However, I could angle the ball better because of the tacky topsheet.  With more practice, this combination could be more dangerous than Combination #1 by far.  Since I have short pips on backhand, it's easy to block with my backhand no matter what blades.  However, my backhand block was more deadly with this combination because the balls go faster (and dead).

Feel was great with this combination.  However, the more I think about this the more I am convinced because of the ball.  It's easier to play with plastic ball in general.  For pushing, I like this combination more since I could push heavy backspin with 999 Turbo.

Looping was the best with this combination no matter where I was.  Third ball attack was amazing.  I don't remember I missed any third ball attack with this combination (well, maybe one or two, but honestly, I don't remember I missed any).  I would give this credit to the Juic 999 Turbo more than the Acoustic Carbon (70% to the rubber and 30% to the blade).  The blade helped out during the rally.  I did not have to work so hard for counter looping from any distance.  The rubber is tacky and the blade is fast, so for placement shots, this combination was much better than Combination #1.  Smashing with this combination was great, but Combination #1 is more enjoyable because it was faster.

Final Thoughts:

1.  I don't think plastic ball will mess up anyone's game.  However, we all need to change our strategies.  We will have to hit more to win, at least 1 more hit than before.

2.  I did not have to adjust my stroke much to play well; however, I had to adjust my tactics to stay in the game.

3.  In my opinion, Pips (long/short/medium) do not any much advantages with plastic ball like with celluloid ball.  I am thinking about switching back to inverted on my backhand after the team tournament (will see how well I do at the teams).  Of course, it also depends on many other factors.  Will see...

4.  Changing from celluloid ball to plastic ball is not as bad as from 38mm to 40mm years ago.

BTW, those Angry Bird cars are my daughter's toys.  It's going to be my trademark from now on, thanks to my daughter!  LOL

Edited by speedy - 10/23/2014 at 10:14pm
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Sponsored Links

duke4u2c View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke4u2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 11:34am
What happened to TB T5000 ? Thought that was your fav set up.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 12:38pm
i found the same after playing with the plastic ball. there's less spin resistance so the ball feels lighter. you really do need to hit more bc the same touch shot that worked with celluloid now goes long. on low gear shots, you either need more spin or hit longer. other than that, the new ball didn't change my game beyond initial trouble serving. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 1:18pm
Very interesting because usually, the tricarbon is known to be uncontrollable or at least...very difficult.
I also have SP in the backhand and a bunch of Xiom rubbers for trying.
I will try your combination with my old tricarbon.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 1:41am
Originally posted by duke4u2c duke4u2c wrote:

What happened to TB T5000 ? Thought that was your fav set up.

Actually, my favorite setup is the old Keyshot, then TB ZLC, then TB T5000.  One of our friends on MyTT asked if I wanted to trade with this Acoustic.  At the time, I didn't even play at all, so I traded.  Now, I have no more T5000. Cry
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 1:49am
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Very interesting because usually, the tricarbon is known to be uncontrollable or at least...very difficult.
I also have SP in the backhand and a bunch of Xiom rubbers for trying.
I will try your combination with my old tricarbon.

I know how it sounds.  It's hard to believe that fast blade has more control with plastic ball, but they do.

I can see that manufacturers will make more money on us because they will not make many wood blades anymore.  They will start making more composite blades, that means more money.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 10:22am
If you hit really hard with this Tricarbon-Moristo combo, you might spend $10 in plastic balls every training session...
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 1:42am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

If you hit really hard with this Tricarbon-Moristo combo, you might spend $10 in plastic balls every training session...

Well, last week I broke 4 balls in 2 games with pips on both sides.  I was using Keyshot and pips.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2014 at 8:58am
For me.  Photino + Blowfish + BF-J01 is awesome with the new ball.  I may try Blowfish+, and J01 Turbo, and possibly Photino light.  I find that having lighter combo allow me to stay close to the table and still be quick enough on my stroke.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2014 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

For me.  Photino + Blowfish + BF-J01 is awesome with the new ball.  I may try Blowfish+, and J01 Turbo, and possibly Photino light.  I find that having lighter combo allow me to stay close to the table and still be quick enough on my stroke.

Thanks for sharing.  That's another option.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2014 at 11:40pm
I actually tried a very soft, thin balsa blade and for the first time, o was able to get the heavy rotation that is a staple of my game. Close to the table. A pity no one makes this blade anymore but I will like into the TSP balsa series or for any soft blades from other blade makers. Rotation over speed for now.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2014 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I actually tried a very soft, thin balsa blade and for the first time, o was able to get the heavy rotation that is a staple of my game. Close to the table. A pity no one makes this blade anymore but I will like into the TSP balsa series or for any soft blades from other blade makers. Rotation over speed for now.

I tried balsa carbo x5 and it had a unique feel, very soft. Might want to try that. Its quite thick though.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 12:16am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I tried balsa carbo x5 and it had a unique feel, very soft. Might want to try that. Its quite thick though.

Yeah - I need something thin and flexy though.  I did consider another balsa blade that I liked but Giant Dragon stopped making that one too.  I don't want to spend money on a new blade yet so I will hope my current plastic ball blade lasts a little.  It felt good to be able to blast the DHS polyball over the table again without it going into the net.
Cybershape Carbon
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 2:30am
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

Well, last week I broke 4 balls in 2 games with pips on both sides.  I was using Keyshot and pips.

moristo on both sides?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 8:18am
Another thing - the newer rubbers with stretchy topsheets from ESN get pretty close to the Tenergy effect.  I've only tried Rasant Grip, but I wouldn't be surprised if other rubbers played similarly.  I compared Rasant Grip with Narucross GS and while both get good spin, for topsheet elasticity, it wasn't even close.
Cybershape Carbon
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2014 at 1:38am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

moristo on both sides?

Moristo on BH and Joola Express Ultra on FH.  I broke 3 with FH and 1 with BH.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic