Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poly Ball and Style of Play

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
looneylooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looneylooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 6:16pm
and don't forget left handed players going to dominate the poly ball era. Big smile

Edited by looneylooper - 11/10/2014 at 6:17pm
Sponsored Links

chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

What is the effect of these plastic balls on LP players (recreational).

(I am a recreational player experimenting with LP.  My opponents are usually rated between 1600 and 1800, usatt.)

To my advantage?  Or to my disadvantage?

I'm around your level and here is my experience.  I hit with two LP players for the first time last week, a penholder blocker/attacker and a shakehander with LP on BH.  I owned these two for the last few years.  But this time lost badly to the penholder (0-3, 2-3, 1-3) and could barely beat the shakehander (3-0, 3-2, 3-2).
First they could return my long serves better.  I believe this was because the bigger and heavier ball (btw it was the crappy Nittaku SHA) sinks faster.  They were able to hit shorter returns and added to that, these balls had very low bounce.  So I didn't get as many strong 3rd ball attacks (ie easy points at our level) as before.  I had to hit many slow opening loops.  Then came the next problem, my slow loops now was even slower with less spin.  And again, the faster drop seems to help them keeping the return from flying long.  They also had more time to plan their blocks.  The worst part was the smashing from the penholder.  LP attacking shots usually have very flat trajectory and tend to fly long, but the faster drop helps to add some curve to it.   The penholder landed quite a few more shots than normal.  Furthermore, these shot barely bounce when landed and very difficult to return.
I think adjusting to the new ball is a big part of my lost.  They obviously have more practice against invert than I have against LP.  But I do believe the quality of their returns against long serve have improved.  With the old ball, I only see such short and low returns from LP players 100s points above our levels.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 7:37pm
Once you adjust to the lower bounce, the shift on your favor will be so great it will be like night and day.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

What is the effect of these plastic balls on LP players (recreational).

(I am a recreational player experimenting with LP.  My opponents are usually rated between 1600 and 1800, usatt.)

To my advantage?  Or to my disadvantage?

I'm around your level and here is my experience.  I hit with two LP players for the first time last week, a penholder blocker/attacker and a shakehander with LP on BH.  I owned these two for the last few years.  But this time lost badly to the penholder (0-3, 2-3, 1-3) and could barely beat the shakehander (3-0, 3-2, 3-2).
First they could return my long serves better.  I believe this was because the bigger and heavier ball (btw it was the crappy Nittaku SHA) sinks faster.  They were able to hit shorter returns and added to that, these balls had very low bounce.  So I didn't get as many strong 3rd ball attacks (ie easy points at our level) as before.  I had to hit many slow opening loops.  Then came the next problem, my slow loops now was even slower with less spin.  And again, the faster drop seems to help them keeping the return from flying long.  They also had more time to plan their blocks.  The worst part was the smashing from the penholder.  LP attacking shots usually have very flat trajectory and tend to fly long, but the faster drop helps to add some curve to it.   The penholder landed quite a few more shots than normal.  Furthermore, these shot barely bounce when landed and very difficult to return.
I think adjusting to the new ball is a big part of my lost.  They obviously have more practice against invert than I have against LP.  But I do believe the quality of their returns against long serve have improved.  With the old ball, I only see such short and low returns from LP players 100s points above our levels.

short pips penhold player or smooth?
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2014 at 12:49am
Old style penholder.  I don't remember the exact brand, but it is LP.  His strategy is to punch block and smash high ball.  He can "loop" (big looping stroke, but the ball barely has any top spin) medium high balls.  With the old ball, I'm not worry about these loops, because half of the time they will sail long.  For the other half, I should be able to lop some of them back.  My strategy is pretty simple.  On my server, serve long and 3rd ball.  On his serve, be patient and wait for an attackable ball or for him to get aggressive (and miss).    The odds have been in my favor until now when apparently the new ball helps both his "loop" and return of long serve.

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2014 at 8:15am
Originally posted by looneylooper looneylooper wrote:

and don't forget left handed players going to dominate the poly ball era. Big smile

Why do you think so? Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic