Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FASTEST BLADE CHALLENGE!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

What will it be called?

1. Zai-borg
2. Tomminator
3. Bolt
4. Ridiculous
5. Cheetah

Any others?

BONEHEAD
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 8:23pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2hajcuFEM
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Use the fastest rubber. Otherwise the speed is diminished and offset by a slow rubber. But what is the fastest rubber to use with the fastest blade?

Concerning the matching rubber, let me give one tip.
I will use MX-P on the forehand side, and Airoc S on the back hand side, when I design this blade.
Just for your referrence.

Edited by Nexy - 10/27/2014 at 11:12pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 11:10pm
The name for the blade will be AKRASIA.

You will know why NEXY chose this name.
I will write more about the name, but for now, making it brief, I can say this.
We are always attracted to something beyond our mighty.

A beautiful lady, not accepting my date proposal, nice car, not affordable with my finance, a tiger, which we can not tame in our house, you name it.

This blade will be another AKRASIA, insanely attractive, but not easy to become docile.
If you can tame it, then you will not worry about speed any more.

Edited by Nexy - 10/27/2014 at 11:11pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I didn't read all the parameters in the original post that eventually made it into the thread.  All I read was fastest and more fastest.  With parameters of weight and materials it does make more sense.

I will say that everybody will probably try to step up a bit in speed when the plastic ball is fully implemented.  It's probably a good market to get into. I used to sell tons of defensive stuff and I almost never do anymore now.

Akrasia will not be very heavy, will not be very thick, and will not be bouncy much, either.
Even though I am designing a beast, I will try to make it competitive against all currently popular blades, and I need to check all the total balance, speed, control, feeling and spin.
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 12:00am
This is getting exciting. Akrasia will certainly be a blade worth trying, but who of us will be man (or woman) enough to tame this mighty beast! My fingers are crossed that it will be a solid blade, not an airy, lightweight fast blade. We need a mighty wild cat, not a rabbit. ;-).

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/agressive.shtml

Edited by tommyzai - 10/28/2014 at 12:05am
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 11:49am
Do the blade still need to be ITTF approved with a 80+% of wood ? Or can i go with a 1 ply titanium blade ? 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by vivan4tt vivan4tt wrote:

Do the blade still need to be ITTF approved with a 80+% of wood ? Or can i go with a 1 ply titanium blade ? 

It needs to be ITTF approved. Otherwise, there isn't much challenge . . . Killerspin already has a blade that is made from space debris or something. LOL
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 5:11pm
Next Question: How will we know IF AKRASIA is truly faster than any other blade.

What tests will be done to ensure the Tag: Worlds Fastest.

Bounce tests 
Ping tests 
Slow motion camera
Oscillation tests?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 6:56pm
hmm i'm excited with that too Mr. Moon

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

Next Question: How will we know IF AKRASIA is truly faster than any other blade.

What tests will be done to ensure the Tag: Worlds Fastest.

Bounce tests 
Ping tests 
Slow motion camera
Oscillation tests?

Any suggestions? It should be a fun test!

Edited by tommyzai - 10/29/2014 at 3:41am
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 10:23pm
That's very important question.

What is NEXY's definition of the blade's speed?

Nexy is blessed brand, because NEXY is now growing in Korea, where many elite players are playing, and NEXY can associate with those players and coaches.

What I found out from those players and coaches were adopted NEXY blades' official descriptions, and you will know that NEXY has never shown the speed criteria on a blade.

I was asked to tell what level of speed I designed on a certain blade many times, and they were expecting me to answer to their questions with speed criteria, such as off, off+, all and so on.
But I always answered that NEXY will not tell any form of speed data.

Did you find out why NEXY did not show that kind of classfication of the speed on the blade?

Because mechanical data don't not show the real speed of a blade.
And people's feedbacks for a certain blade vary in a big range, according to what kind of play style they are, and the level of the player, as well as what rubber they use.

And that was the reason why NEXY dreamed of "dual impact" can be possible on one side, too.
But I will not write about "dual impact" here, because it's another story.

Bang Impact means a stroke very fast in one moment when a blade touches the ball, and the hit was so powerful in that moment, that the ball goes deep into the rubber, even to impact on the wooden surface, making the sound of the wooden blade almost like cracking; "bang".

And most top players were saying that a blade was fast when that blade could make this bang impact easily and steadily. They could make it easier when they used 5 ply and 7 ply wooden blades, because they felt as if the ball stayed a little longer than a thin surfac-carbon blade.

When we use a thin wooden surface supported by a carbon ply, then the ball does not stay long enough to impact on the wooden surface through the rubber on it, and it generally goes off the rubber without making that bang sound.
(Please, understand my insufficient English ability to describe this. I don't know much terminology for this description, and you need to use your imagination when you read this article.)

Actually, we can not make sure that we can tell what blade has longer staying moments than others. If you record it with speed camera, then you will not be able to see the difference by calculative speed numbers.
But the truth is, players are feeling those differences.

Maybe, that is the reason why I use thicker surface woods for carbon ply blades, or use two layers on the carbon layer, and why Butterfly added more thickness on the hinoki surface onto their carbon - hinoki blades.

For an example, when Butterfly first released Primrac Carbon blade, they used 0.5mm hinoki, but now they are using 1.0mm.
And I am planning to use 1.2~1.4mm hinoki surface on the next coming "the fastest blade".

Any way, it's not only about physical height of a ball's bounce, but it's a complex understanding about a blade.
It has to be related with the ability of generating spin, of absoving the ball deep, and of making high curve of a flying ball, that makes the ball more stable.

Therefore, I don't agree that I can tell you how you can judge or compare of a blade's speed, with several given scientific data.
Rather I can say that this blade will be generally very fast, but some players who can not make "bang impact" will not think that they are that much fast.

If a blade has only a physical high speed, then you will not be winning the matches, because you can not control the placement of the balls.
Therefore, it's not very simple process how I design a blade to be fast.

As for me, I don't use wooden plies from my stock for producing a sample, because always I need new thickness per each blade.
I design each plies one by one by 0.1mm measurment differences, and I need to prepare all new woods cut into different thicknesses, so I need to check each plies's combination with time.

That's why NEXY needs that long time to prepare one sample.

And after a sample blade is prepared, I need to test it with enough time, some times several month, to find out what is missing, and what needs to be added.

I am not sure I am giving you right answer you were expecting, but this is the best answer I could present to you for now.

Thank you for all the interests you are pouring on the project "AKRASIA".

Edited by Nexy - 10/29/2014 at 10:38pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 10:49pm
So cool that MYTT receive this level of personal interest and correspondence from a blade designer. These are exciting times. Lots of thought, creativity, and expertise goes into Nexy blades . . . really excellent! I'm very excited about the design, development, and production of AKRASIA. 

* "BANG IMPACT" is such a cool term.

Edited by tommyzai - 10/30/2014 at 1:51pm
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 11:53pm
The fastest thing I know of is the speed of light.

PHOTON CANNON OR WTF. Yes I like "WTF"

Somebody hit me again please.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 2:17am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

The fastest thing I know of is the speed of light.

PHOTON CANNON OR WTF. Yes I like "WTF"

Somebody hit me again please.

I heard that big bang happened much much faster than the speed of light.
And scientists are saying that was one the only exceptional faster speed than the light in our nature.

However, I will name the final blade as "AKRASIA".

Edited by Nexy - 10/30/2014 at 2:17am
Brand Manager of NEXY
SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 6:00am
On the subject of Akrasia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrasia

Interesting how even Socrates spent some time on this subject :)

As for measuring the speed, there are of course a number of objective ways to do it.
But I think most of them would involve some variables that might not reproduce or give the wrong idea.

For instance if you used a 'fast spinny' rubber, you would on impact change momentum into friction and only by adding more speed on hitting you would send the ball off the bat faster then it approached.
Throw in a player and the results would be as random as winning the lottery.

If you remove as much as possible, I think you will get the fairest result as to the speed of the blade.
Since you are after the speed which means rigidity, the rubber choice is a huge impact and might even mean you develop something totally else then the flat out fastest blade based on whatever rubber you test with.

Just to clear up some mess I might have made on the last page:
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by SolidEvolution SolidEvolution wrote:

Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

Killerspin claim fastest blade on earth and closest planets. I am not sure if Saturn is included in this challenge !

In that case add ITTF legal, aaaannddd Killerspin is out...

What do you mean here?  Did Killerspin decide to stop paying ittf fees?

The outer layer of the Stilo7 SVR blade is carbon, the rules state you are allowed to use 'other' materials only within the blade. Therefore it wouldn't really comply.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 4:03pm
anyone here played with stilo7 svr?
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 4:20pm
Akrasia is a nice sounding name for a blade. As for the fastest rubber that is darn subjective but I would bet on a boosted 1QXD for a start.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 6:20pm
I would think with the tag: fastest blade  you might think of a slightly slower rubber to keep it on the blade a little longer and have ( some) control.
also: if you google fastest wood type you get various woods.
quebracho
Black ironwood
tiga
barauna

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 6:37pm

I would think with the tag: fastest blade  you might think of a slightly slower rubber to keep it on the blade a little longer and have ( some) control.
also: if you google fastest wood type you get various woods.
quebracho
Black ironwood
tiga
barauna

I'm not a bladesmith, but I do fancy myself as a wordsmith (amateur) . . . Black Ironwood sounds inviting. ;-). I'm sure Oscar from Nexy will choose amazing woods for optimal speed and performance. 
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 9:20pm

Don't forget it must be 85% wood.

fibre 7.5% of total thickness or 0.35mm

So whats the hardest wood and whats the hardest fiber material.
If your just going for (Speed).

Thank you for the comment.
But I don't rely that much on the composite ply.
I will surely use a carbon ply, but it can not be very thick and hard one.
Because I want to make a blade with a reasonably acceptable control and spin range.

Edited by Nexy - 10/30/2014 at 9:21pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

. . . What faster blade can be built if the weight stays under 88g?
I am so interested.

86 - 88g is nice, but less than 85 would be a weakling. ;-).

Edited by tommyzai - 10/30/2014 at 11:54pm
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 2:15am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Oh oh...compromising already? Noooooo!!!! Speed can be controlled with skills and those skills will be developed if the fastest -always faster- blade is built again.
The Sahara was so awesome. What faster blade can be built if the weight stays under 88g?
I am so interested.

I am not compromising.
I am just explaining what is the fast blade from NEXY's eyes.
Brand Manager of NEXY
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 10:15am
The wood called Quebracho is also called the "Axe Breaker".
Should be easy to work with...kidding implied.

Some of these woods must be harder to get.
Also: out of the top 20 hardest woods 14 are from Australia.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 10:39pm

The wood called Quebracho is also called the "Axe Breaker".
Should be easy to work with...kidding implied.

Some of these woods must be harder to get.
Also: out of the top 20 hardest woods 14 are from Australia.

It's not good idea, not only for cost, but also for time we need for this idea.
If we want to apply a new wood to a blade, then we need to cut that wood into many different thicknesses, and need to apply those slices into many different wood structures.
The most simple way is to change the surface, while keeping all other structure the same as has been proven good for years, as STIGA has been doing.
But for now, I am planning to test basically two well known woods, one is Kiso Hinoki, and the other one is "Koto". I can also test one more, but it will not be told until I can be sure after testing.

Just one more thing to add.
Hard wood has nothing to do with speedy blade design.
They make the production process difficult, and they are generally heavy for a blade material, but we can not expect the final sample will be fast, only by checking that hard wood is used for it.

I am already testing very hard wood with my next coming bladem "CHEDECH", but it's because that wood is surely effective for a surface in many ways, and I am planning to use it as thinnly cut, in order to make the functional feature maxmised, and the blade lighter.

Any way, thank you for sharing infomations.

Edited by Nexy - 10/31/2014 at 10:42pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2014 at 4:37pm
I've done and collected some measurements over the past years of EJ-ing.
The fastest blade I've come across is Yinhe T-1, followed by Yinhe T-11, and Bty Schlager Carbon.
The T-1 is the blade to beat for winning the challenge!

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

The fastest blade I've come across is Yinhe T-1, followed by Yinhe T-11, and Bty Schlager Carbon.

Schlager Carbon, Sardius, Gergely, T-1, T-11 . . . I also think that's the direction to go, but even more solid, faster, and a nicer design (no problem for Nexy). ;-). 
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 2:43am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

T-1's surface is too thin to generate big spin.

Lots of Chinese blade makers are making blades with thin surface supported by thick carbon layer, but most of them are not making heavy strokes. (Koreans say that balls are flying, not attacking.)

If you play with these kinds of thin surface hinoki blades, then you will feel that balls are flying light, without hitting with the power into the opponent's blades. (I mean, so to speak, too bouncy)

As I wrote, I would not use this thin surface, which will depend too much on the carbon ply's speed ability.
Rather I would try to make a harmony with the whole structure, including the supportive ability of the carbon layer.
Brand Manager of NEXY
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

T-1's surface is too thin to generate big spin.

Lots of Chinese blade makers are making blades with thin surface supported by thick carbon layer, but most of them are not making heavy strokes. (Koreans say that balls are flying, not attacking.)

If you play with these kinds of thin surface hinoki blades, then you will feel that balls are flying light, without hitting with the power into the opponent's blades. (I mean, so to speak, too bouncy)

As I wrote, I would not use this thin surface, which will depend too much on the carbon ply's speed ability.
Rather I would try to make a harmony with the whole structure, including the supportive ability of the carbon layer.

That's very wise. I was talking about speed alone. Personally, I'd never play with a T-1!
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 11:11am
With a FASTEST BLADE moniker, spin is not what your looking for anyway.

Fastest would be SPEED not spin.

So you would modify with materials used for the blade or rubber used on the blade.

Just my 2 cents

Dr of Cho
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic