FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FASTEST BLADE CHALLENGE!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FASTEST BLADE CHALLENGE!!
    Posted: 10/25/2014 at 10:49pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2hajcuFEM

I, Tommy Zai, EJ Madman, hereby challenge the creative, innovative table tennis company Nexy to design and produce the fastest five or seven ply, composite blade in the world. I make this challenge to Nexy for two reasons:

1. There are players like myself, who want to play with the FASTEST, not one of the fastest blades. And, many of the speedy blades we adored are long gone, replaced by flexy weaklings!
2. I truly believe Nexy can meet this challenge!

fast1
fast/

superlative adjective: fastest
  1. 1
    moving or capable of moving at high speed.
    "a fast and powerful car"
    synonyms:speedyquickswiftrapid
    fast-moving, fast-paced, high-speedturbosporty
    accelerated, expressblisteringbreakneckpell-mell
    informalnippyzippyblindingsupersonic
    literaryfleet

Note:  I would love to see Nexy develop a blade that would end my endless search for speed. I am tired of overpaying for discontinued blades, i.e., Sardius, Schlager Carbon, etc. And, I am not alone. Many players like myself feel the need for speed and believe control is for the faint of heart!

Edited by tommyzai - 10/27/2014 at 8:19pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 2:51am
this blade is 17mm thick.... you'll need to find a block of balsa that is >20mm thick  :)

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 5:13am
I see you did a define fast on Google, but if you are really serious about doing this. 
Somebody will have to define fast by hitting balls through a chrono, with whatever is considered fast,
see what speeds it's actually about.

It does kind of propose a really broad challenge to make the 'fastest' of something.
Being able to move a blade faster, means there will be more energy to transfer.
The blade itself having better energy transference property means you can actually increase the speed, aside from the momentum lost on impact.

Should the mechanics of the actual person playing matter?
As in if they stay identical and ball speed increases, then the goal would be achieved?
Then wouldn't it just be in trying to improve the transfer of energy?

If the blade ends up being some odd shaped beast, that's just adding speed based on mass on impact.
Then what really is the point of faster?
It's like in golf, hit further cause the head shape is like a milk-can.

I'd want to add that the 'fastest' blade has to be achieved within a certain range of thickness.
The shape of the blade should not affect the players stroke, as in the weight or shape should not make the player make changes to their normal movements. (So no 1kg blade that swings like a mallet).

@tuco
Wasn't balsa not actually that rigid, just structurally hard?
Cause then ramping up the thickness makes sense.

Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 10:36am
You should also define the blade to be all wood or add any man made materials.
or all man made materials.

100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 10:43am
Killerspin claim fastest blade on earth and closest planets. I am not sure if Saturn is included in this challenge !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

Killerspin claim fastest blade on earth and closest planets. I am not sure if Saturn is included in this challenge !

In that case add ITTF legal, aaaannddd Killerspin is out...
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 11:30am
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/anvil
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 1:43pm
NO BALSA ONLY!!!
NO ONE-PLY!!!

I should have clarified . . . the fastest five or seven ply composite blade in the world. Otherwise, we're talking about graphite or stainless steel or a Louisville Slugger baseball bat. I'm hoping Nexy can build a blade in the genre of Schlager Carbon that is faster!!!

Edited by tommyzai - 10/26/2014 at 8:39pm
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 8:27pm
if you are talking about baseball bat, doesn't a corked bat hit the ball farther than a legal bat (solid wood)?  there is a reason why balsa blades rule for close to table hitting/blocking game.  to have maximum catapult you need springy inner plies.

The Dark Side is:

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

if you are talking about baseball bat, doesn't a corked bat hit the ball farther than a legal bat (solid wood)?  there is a reason why balsa blades rule for close to table hitting/blocking game.  to have maximum catapult you need springy inner plies.

If the fastest blade has to have a light material like balsa at the core, fine, but not a 100% thick balsa blade please. I'm tired of 10mm 60g balsa blades that have my finger indentations in them. Ohhhh

Edited by tommyzai - 10/26/2014 at 8:42pm
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 10:24pm
I am trying to be careful in writing here in this place.
I don't want to make any long discuss here, because I don't want to take your precious time.

I understand what Tommy is asking for.
And I also understand what SolidEvolution is saying.

This topic is very interesting one for me, as a NEXY designer.
When I started NEXY brand, I focused on what other brands are missing.
And Speed was one of the factor.
I designed DEXTER, and I wanted to make it the fastest 5 ply blade, still generating good spin, and with good balance on the whole.
But from that moment, NEXY became little more oriented to the uniqueness of it's own character.

Speed is one factor every one knows important for a blade.
SO, STRANGELY ENOUGH, Nexy bacame less interested in physical speed of a blade.
Rather Nexy tried to find the maximum effective compromise among speed, spin and control.

However, Tommy's suggestion trigerred me an idea that NEXY can challenge to produce a very fast blade.
I assume that Tommy did not push me to make stupid fast blade, without good control and spin.
I think what people want here is to meet a fast, but still attractive one, with good spin and control, as well as feeling.

Challenge was accepted.
The basic concept of the blade will be simple.
But production period will take some time for samples.

I will write more about what I will do later on.

Edited by Nexy - 10/26/2014 at 10:56pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

. . . Tommy's suggestion trigerred me an idea that NEXY can challenge to produce a very fast blade. I assume that Tommy did not push me to make stupid fast blade, without good control and spin. I think what people want here is to meet a fast, but still attractive one, with good spin and control, as well as feeling. Challenge accepted. The basic concept of the blade will be simple. But production period will take some time for samples. I will write more about what I will do later on.

FANTASTIC!!! I know NEXY can do this, and I'm excited to see what it looks like, feels like, and most importantly — how it plays. I'm also curious . . . what will it be called? This is going to be fun. Thank you for accepting the challenge. In the meantime, I'll stop looking for discontinued fast, solid, blades.

AND yes, the blade must be usable, with good control and spin, but the most important characteristic is . . . SPEED!!!

Edited by tommyzai - 10/26/2014 at 11:12pm
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 10:57am
Don't forget it must be 85% wood.

fibre 7.5% of total thickness or 0.35mm

So whats the hardest wood and whats the hardest fiber material.
If your just going for (Speed).
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 1:24pm
Nexy will have to find a way to push the boundaries to the maximum without losing playability. I'm excited to see what they come up with!
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:17pm
So Zaister, what rubber would you use on such a beast?
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

I think it would be best to try different rubbers with the blade to find the best match. A lot will depend on the hardness of the blade, dwell (hopefully not too flexy), etc. It's probably best to start with the industry standards of the main rubber categories and go from there, i.e., Tenergy 05, H3-Neo, etc. I've been attempting to counter looper later . . . or in my case . . . counter a loop with a hit. I never tried Bryce Speed, but perhaps that would be the rubber of choice for the world's fastest 5/7 ply composite blade. I don't know. Any thoughts?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:23pm

The fastest one, of course?
Blondie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:23pm
Use the fastest rubber. Otherwise the speed is diminished and offset by a slow rubber. But what is the fastest rubber to use with the fastest blade?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:24pm

So whats the hardest wood and whats the hardest fiber material.

Part of the challenge is in finding the right wood, which may not be the hardest.
Interesting read on the subject:
http://www.conradfp.com/pdf/ch4-Mechanical-Properties-of-Wood.pdf

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:30pm
What will it be called?

1. Zai-borg
2. Tomminator
3. Bolt
4. Ridiculous
5. Cheetah

Any others?
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:32pm
MasterBlaster
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:33pm
ONE BALL ENTERS ONE SHRED LEAVES
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

What will it be called?

1. Zai-borg
2. Tomminator
3. Bolt
4. Ridiculous
5. Cheetah

Any others?

I'm honored by some of the names, including "Ridiculous." LOL. My hope is that the blade is ridiculously fast and challenges players to tame it . . . control it . . . whip it into submission! By the way, the word "Zai" in Guangdonwah/Cantonese is an endearing term that means "Boy." Maybe when a player first tries this upcoming Nexy blade they will shout, "OH BOY, THIS IS FAST!"
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by SolidEvolution SolidEvolution wrote:

Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

In that case add ITTF legal, aaaannddd Killerspin is out...

What do you mean here?  Did Killerspin decide to stop paying ittf fees?  Even if they did, the blades would still be legal.

The whole question is kind of silly, really (sorry Tommy)  You can always make a balsa blade thicker up to the point where you can't hold it and/or until it just crumbles away after a couple months of use.

I saw a guy make a blade out of some single ply of wood (can't remember the wood.)  It was like 200g...totally unplayable...but really really fast.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 4:31pm
Cole,
What question of mine is silly? Regarding balsa, I agree with you, they crumble and your fingers and even the ball can dent them badly. 1-plies and thick balsa blades are simply not useful for most players.
T

NOTE:  I created this thread to challenge Nexy, the Korean-based table tennis company, to design the world's fastest 5/7 ply composite blade that is between 6 - 7mm thick and is a standard weight of 85 - 92 or so. I made this challenge to Nexy in particular based on their innovative designs, creativity, and willingness to fill voids in the market. At present, after the discontinuation of many standard OFF+ blades (Sardius, Schlager Carbon, etc.), I feel there is a hole in the market that needs to be re-filled.* I believe Nexy can fill it and would like to see what they come up with.

*I acknowledge that there still are some blades out there that are similar in character to the abandoned Butterfly OFF+ classics, i.e., YinHe/Galaxy models. Yet, my challenge is to go beyond any standard blades ever created. Why not give it a try?

Edited by tommyzai - 10/27/2014 at 4:37pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 5:21pm
any idea what the comment on killerspin was about?

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

any idea what the comment on killerspin was about? 

I'm not sure, but it may have to do with the 100% carbon fiber blade they make.

http://www.killerspin.com/equipment/blades/stilo7-svr.html
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 7:42pm
I didn't read all the parameters in the original post that eventually made it into the thread.  All I read was fastest and more fastest.  With parameters of weight and materials it does make more sense.

I will say that everybody will probably try to step up a bit in speed when the plastic ball is fully implemented.  It's probably a good market to get into. I used to sell tons of defensive stuff and I almost never do anymore now.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

. . . I will say that everybody will probably try to step up a bit in speed when the plastic ball is fully implemented.  It's probably a good market to get into. I used to sell tons of defensive stuff and I almost never do anymore now. 

Cole, as you and many other member know, I have problems generating spin due to physical issues, but not speed. Maybe all I really needed to do to increase my playing level was to be patient and wait for the ball to change. LOL 

Bring on the FASTEST BLADE!! I'm ready!!!

Edited by tommyzai - 10/27/2014 at 8:18pm
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Use the fastest rubber. Otherwise the speed is diminished and offset by a slow rubber. But what is the fastest rubber to use with the fastest blade?

shut up blondie.  what do you know about ping pong?! 

if you want to shoot, shoot!  don't talk!

The Dark Side is:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic