Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Different between red and black shortpips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different between red and black shortpips?
    Posted: 10/29/2014 at 10:58am
I watch many video of shortpips forehand player and see they ussually use red shortpips for forehand. Is it different between red and black??
Sponsored Links

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 4:53pm
Normally black is suppose to be softer... Lgl used black
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Normally black is suppose to be softer... Lgl used black
==============================================

Is that also true for the LP rubber - black is softer (that means red is harder).

I use Palio ck531 and 388D-1 LP rubbers. (for about 2 years.)
I really don't know if the black is softer or red is harder.
I am just not that good in telling the difference.
skip3119
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Normally black is suppose to be softer...
And why would that be?
My theory at least for inverted (but it should also be true for pips) is that the black rubber is harder because carbon black (nanometer size carbon particles) is used as a black pigment which would increase hardness when compared to the red rubber lagging the black pigment. Essentially you are comparing a filled with an unfilled rubber and the filled rubber is always harder.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 6:37pm
The truth is I don't know why... I just have read that multiple time on various forums... People just said it's because of the dye Idye. t seems to be the general consensus...

Of course it's a generalization... But personally I find it true with dhs hurricanes and 729 802
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 6:40pm
I think honestly most of the time it doesn't make a difference at all... But there has to be a reason that almost all Chinese players play with black fh and almost all the sp players of today uses red...
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:03pm
Several of the points made above are correct but just for specification and clarity, the differences only exist in Chinese rubbers, not Eurojap rubbers. This applies to all Chinese rubbers, inverted and pips of all kind.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:16pm
European players are more likely to use the black side for FH especially if they are loopers. I have heard that the black dye makes the top sheet a tic softer than the red. American players favor the red for FH, don't know why.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:07pm
Black is a smidgeon softer/more elastic than red

Strong forehand players will usually use black on their forehand.
Johnny1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 10:11pm
for FH, both red and black SP are used. zhan uses black haifu. Jiang used red 802-40 in legends tour. black is more than red. for BH, it is always in red especially of those low level vulcanization SP. it called raw pips in china.

Edited by Johnny1996 - 10/29/2014 at 10:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic