tabletennis11.com

TIBHAR/NEXY Actium Review by Tommy Zai

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIBHAR/NEXY Actium Review by Tommy Zai
    Posted: 10/29/2014 at 1:23pm

Tommy Zai’s Review of TIBHAR'S new combination blade — ACTIUM, designed by Oscar of NEXY.

• Width:  157.5 mm
  • Height:  164.5 mm
  • Thickness:  6+mm
  • Weight:  89g
  • Top Plies:  Akazie for FH and White Ash for BH
  • Sealant:  One light coat of Minwax, oil-based, satin (recommended by Ross Leidy)
  • Rubbers Used for Testing:  Tenergy 05, H3-Neo, and Mark V on FH and a variety of LPs on BH
  • Speed:  __________ (TBA)
  • Range:  Short, Mid, and Long. This blade can do it all.
  • Bounce Test:  Ball passively dropped from 40cm rebounded up to 31cm
  • Sound from ball tossed on naked blade:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy340btcv7oaih0/Nexy%20Actium.mp3?dl=0  

"Actium by Nexy is a unique combination blade that looks, feels, and plays exceptionally well." — Tommy Zai

The blade arrived fast via EMS and was packed safely. Like all Nexy designed blades, the craftsmanship is excellent. It has a classic look — dark blue and a little yellow and red. The handle itself has an elegant flare. I sealed it and lightly sanded the wings for extra high grip comfort. Note:  Many defenders would probably opt for the straight handled version. There is a little yellow gem on the FH side of the handle, which serves two purposes — decoration and a side indicator for twiddlers.

I’ve owned many combo blades over the past 7+ years, and most of them have a fast side for FH and a slow side for BH, but this blade is different. Both sides of Actium have some zip to them. The FH has more raw power, and the BH has two obvious gears that enable power and touch shots. My bounce tests comparisons of the two sides were nearly identical via audio and height recoil. The difference between the sides became apparent when testing a variety of shots. Yet, there are other distinctions:

• Actium is not hollow feeling like many other lightweight combo blades. It’s about 6mm thick, with nine plies and a solid feel.
  • Actium has a large sweet spot that is most likely due to the extra plies, burnt layers, and the enlarged head size.
  • Actium excels from mid to long range. Most of the combination blades I’ve used tend to favor close to the table styles of play. They are often weaklings away from the table. There are modern defender blades that play well at a distance (Matsushita Pro, etc.), but I cannot think of any modern defender combination blades that play like Actium.

Once again, Tibhar's Nexy line has identified a need and filled it, and I for one am grateful. I can’t wait for my doubles partner to try this beauty. I think he will salivate profusely and make a mess on the table. By the way, you know him! In my opinion, Actium may very well be one of the best blades available on the market today — FULL STOP! I wouldn’t be surprised if two-winged loopers and other NON-combination style players adopt this blade as their secret weapon — their hidden gem that helps them win matches through the poly ball era. The only challenge might be finding the optimal rubbers for each side. Mark V suited me best, but my ability to spin the ball off the table is nonexistent. All in all, Actium is a fantastic blade.

Edited by tommyzai - 06/04/2016 at 3:49pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 2:22pm
Nice!!

Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Blondie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 5:45pm
Can you compare this blade to any other?
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Can you compare this blade to any other?

On the BH side it reminds me of the Violoncello, which also has a hardened White Ash top ply. However, Actium is faster, has a larger sweet spot, and and of course the FH side features a different top ply.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:25pm
Thank you, Tommy.
Your article shows what AKTIUM is, adding charm.
Here I want to add several pictures of Aktium.

Brand Manager of NEXY
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

Thank you, Tommy.

Nexy, you said Aktium, but the blade says Actium. Did Tibhar change the spelling?

Edited by Tinykin - 10/29/2014 at 8:55pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

Thank you, Tommy.

Nexy, you said Aktium, but the blade says Actium. Did Tibhar change the spelling?

Oh, yes.... that's right.
I have always been using AKTIUM, because I was adopting roman letters, but it was designed with ACTIUM, English way.
I did not know it until today. Stupid.

I think it was done by my designer.
I was careless about how the designer write the spelling of it.
Sorry for this.

Any way, both names are meaning the same was, right?
Brand Manager of NEXY
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 2:00am
Very informative, Tommy. I've linked your review from http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47778&PID=593384&title=nexy-clan#593384

I wonder how Actium plays in comparison to Lissom Aegis, the larger version of Lissom... the regular Lissom is somewhat similar to Nittaku Violin, but faster, so the Actium *could* share some playing characteristics with Lissom Aegis...

Edited by arg0 - 10/30/2014 at 2:00am
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 2:15am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Very informative, Tommy. I've linked your review from http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47778&PID=593384&title=nexy-clan#593384

I wonder how Actium plays in comparison to Lissom Aegis, the larger version of Lissom... the regular Lissom is somewhat similar to Nittaku Violin, but faster, so the Actium *could* share some playing characteristics with Lissom Aegis...

Yes, it shares some feature with Lissom.
Specially, the back hand side feels very similiar, but overall, it is faster than Lissom.
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 6:35pm
On OOAK, I was asked if this blade is only good for away from the table play. Here is my response:

I've been using it with LP/OX and playing up close, but in this case I think it's important to use a slow LP, like Hallmark Friction Special 2 or the 979.
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 2:53pm
Did you do your bounce tests on both sides of the blade?
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

Did you do your bounce tests on both sides of the blade?

I do on the combination blades or any blade that has a different ply configuration on FH and BH sides.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 3:58pm
I've been playing with Actium with inverted on both sides for about a month now.   I first wanted to just try how it feels to play with an oversize blade, but the more I play with Actium the more I appreciate it.  Interestingly, my performance in terms of whom I beat and who beats me hasn't been affected at all, despite this somewhat significant change, and if so, I probably play a little bit better with it.

The only thing I've struggling a little bit is the weight, since the blade weighs 92gr, which with oversized rubbers makes the setup heavier than I'd like, but this has been somewhat alleviated by switching to thinner and soften sponge, which makes the rubbers a little lighter - I'm currently using Xiom Omega IV Europe 2.0 on both sides.

Actium is a firm, crisp, fast blade with FH being noticeably faster (and I think a little harder) than BH.   I agree with tommyzai, that it excels in mid and long-distance, but I have absolutely no problem playing close to the table with this blade.

I particularly love the large sweet spot, which in combination with solid/firm feel makes it an outstanding blocking blade without sacrificing its looping ability.   The FL handle is also very comfortable, which is not only my opinion, but also according to few other people had a chance to hold Actium.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2016 at 3:49pm
I just re-read my review. I'm not sure why I'm trading/selling it. I'm clearly insane.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic