FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Adidas Accelum Blades Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adidas Accelum Blades Review
    Posted: 10/31/2014 at 9:31am
Adidas Accelum High Speed 5 & High Speed Carbon blades

Recently, Adidas has released the Accelum blade series. These 2 blades are in the mid-range price and are very much affordable while maintaining a high level of performance. The Accelum HIgh Speed 5 all wood blade was designed to be a flexible but can also produce fast and solid shots. The Accelum High Speed Carbon on the other hand was designed as a hard-hitting offensive blade with a koto outer layer. These 2 blades were tested with Tenzone Ultra SF max sponge and Sword King rubber.

Accelum High Speed 5

Weight: 88 grams
Thickness: 6mm (approx.)
Plies: 5 (limba-spruce-ayous-spruce-limba)
Speed: OFF to OFF+
Hardness: medium stiff

This is something different compared to previous 5 ply all wood blades from Adidas had released in the past. The Strike Wood 5, Challenge Force and Avenger 5 blades are very good and the Avenger 5 is favorite but they seem to have a need for a little bit more on speed. Controlwise, they are very good and also great for spinning. Now comes the Accelum High Speed 5 blade which offers more solid and harder feel while having some flex in order to maintain good spinning capability.

The construction is simple. The outer ply is made of Limba wood followed by a spruce layer and with an ayous core. This is similar to the construction of the Stratus Powerwood but as I was testing there was a slight difference as what I will be stating later.

The Accelum High Speed 5 or shall I call it AcHS5 to make it shorter can be quite a surprise for people who would underestimate it for being just a normal 5 ply all wood blade. Speedwise, I would put it in the level of an SPW. It is very fast for its class of 5 ply all wood blade. Compared to other 5 ply Adidas all wood blades that have been released in the past, the Accelum High Speed 5 is the fastest 5 ply all wood blade at present among 5 ply blades of Adidas. If compared to other blades, it comes close to the Mazunov in speed but the Mazunov is still faster by a few notches. Also in terms of hardness, the Mazunov felt stiffer and of course heavier. I like the solidity and hardness of the ball impact when driving using the AcHS5 because it doesn't feel too stiff but the shots are very fast and vibrates minimally.

In terms of feel, it has this semi-hard feeling when driving or loop driving the ball. Power shots are best made close to the table and to some extent mid-distance but the blade is more suited near the table. Sometimes when you hit the ball it's like you are using a 7 ply blade because of its slightly harder feel. The Tenzone Ultra SF was perfect because it is a medium soft rubber. Other rubbers like the P7 is also very compatible with the Accelum High Speed 5 blade.

What I love about the AcHS5 is that it has some degree of flex and I say it loops better than the SPW. SPW on the other hand drives and smashes better. I like looping with the AcHS5 because of the "dwell" feelling and when combined with the medium soft or soft rubber, spinning the ball is awesome. Also, the AcHS5 is not head heavy because of its compact size.

Accelum High Speed Carbon
Weight: 90 grams
Thickness: 7mm (approx.)
Plies: 7 (Koto-ayous-carbon-Kiri or ayous?-carbon-ayous-Koto)
Hardness: Stiff
Speed: OFF+

I was excited to test the carbon version of the Accelum series because for the first time Adidas has made a thick carbon blade and used koto as an outer ply for this off+ blade. Although they have used koto on their Adidas Hypertouch blade, i consider that blade more as an off blade instead of being a true off+ blade.

The Accelum High Speed Carbon's design came as a surprise because they already have fast blades like the Radix Extreme and Fibertech power. I think because of the shift to poly ball Adidas too realized the importance of using koto as an outer ply because of it being a hard outer surface and also gives a very fast but stable shots when combined with carbon. The carbon they are using is their RX-Carbon that is also the same with the radix series composite layer. The only thing i need to be sure first is if the central thick layer is ayous or kiri but it looks like more of a kiri wood.

Speedwise, this is a no nonsense offensive+ carbon blade. The speed is faster than a viscaria and in the same level of speed as a Jun Mizutani but obviously slower than a sardius, schlager carbon or gergely alpha. It is very fast that I had to adjust my strokes into a more compact kind of stroke with very short swings in order to compensate for its speed. I still used the Tenzone Ultra SF and the Sword king rubber as test rubbers for this blade. It has a very long trajectory middle and far distance from the table. Unlike its 5 ply all wood brother, the High Speed carbon is suited even far from the table. The thick central core really helped boost the speed and power away from the table aside from its carbon layers. For smashing and driving, its powerful shots will not disappoint those speed demons who wanted speed and power over some lesser control.

Spinwise, I would rate it above average in doing slow spinny loops despite its speed. The trajectory arc when looping is like low to medium whereas the High Speed 5 version has medium arc. Spinwise, the High Speed 5 exceeds the High Speed carbon but when you need strong powerful loops or counters away from the table, then the High Speed Carbon is sufficient.
If you pair a chinese rubber on the forehand side then you would have a fast and spinny rubber. The Sword King which i have tuned 2 months ago seemed a bit dead on its bounce on other blades but on this it can still be considered fast despite its condition and usage.

In blocking, I enjoyed the speed of the Accelum HSC because it was a bit effortless to do active and punch blocks. It produces a sharp and low trajectory punch block.

Control-wise, despite its off+ speed the control is above average. I think the control of this blade is so much better compared to the Radix Extreme or Fibertech carbon blades which i consider to have average level of control only. It's not even hard to do drop shots on this blade after some adjustments.

Anyway, though I am an all wood blade user I think I would rate the High Speed Carbon version as the better attacking blade. Both blades are not head heavy and are very comfortable to attack with especially the High Speed Carbon.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 12:00pm
I don't count sheep when I try to sleep, I count all the different blades from all the manufacturers. Very handsome blades there yogi!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 12:21pm
Can't wait for your review Yogi! Please post 'em soon. Tongue
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 7:23pm
these are actually mid-range price blades from Adidas. the look good too. The Koto-carbon version is the more interesting one since it is very fast and favors a compact style of strokes.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 10:11pm
So would this be priced lower than the Radix and Fibertec series? I am planning to get a Fibertec Power in a couple of months. Does the carbon version have a better feel than Fibertec Power?
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 11:36pm
The Accelum High Speed 5 reminds me of the XIOM Aria
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 2:37am
updated with review

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 6:16am
Hi Yogi, would you know if the Accelum HSC be priced like the Radix and Fibertec?

Thanks.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 8:06am
It's about 85 usd in the philippines

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 9:24pm
Yogi, which has better speed to control ratio, Accelum HSC or Strike Carbon? Thanks.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:20am
sorry it's only now i have answered this because my dad passed away a week ago. there are times that the strike carbon feels slower than the accelum hsc but in terms of control i guess more or equal.

dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:52am
Condolences yogi. :(
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 4:10am
thanks

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 4:52am
Oh yogi ...we are with you .

Edited by Makelele - 11/16/2014 at 4:53am
mpengyou5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpengyou5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2015 at 9:38am
it is a little late but
best regards yogi.
i just start 3 years ago playing  table tennis to remind my passed away dad (he was a good penhold table tennis player)...

anyone know where to best buy ACCELUM HIGH SPEED carbon blade ?
thank you

siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2015 at 4:08pm

Megaspin .
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
mpengyou5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpengyou5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2015 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by siestakey siestakey wrote:

Megaspin .

thank you i will tell my friend who is looking for it Smile
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2015 at 7:34pm
The 5 ply allwood looks realy attractive. Wonder how it compares with YEO. 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2015 at 12:49am
I am just wondering how many players - except for pro international players - are able to handle the speed and power of fast -I mean above off category- blades...
All+ blades with modern tensors are already speedy as hell, aren't they?
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by igszoctan igszoctan wrote:

I am just wondering how many players - except for pro international players - are able to handle the speed and power of fast -I mean above off category- blades...
All+ blades with modern tensors are already speedy as hell, aren't they?

Perhaps the speed will make more sense when paired with Chinese rubbers.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 1:40pm
What exactly (in mm) does it mean "AHS 5 is not head heavy because of its compact size"? AHS 5 vs Challenge Force, for example. Based on construction they should be similar.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 11:23am
I just got this blade a couple of days ago. The blade is very balanced even with relatively heavy rubbers such as TG3 and Tenzone. It is not head heavy at all.

I tried a few hits with it. TG3 Neo seems to pair really well with this blade. I get good speed and the spin seems to be much more than when I was using the Avenger Carbon. The dip is more pronounced and the kick of the bounce was faster. Also, looping away from the table is not difficult even with the relatively slow TG3.

Can't wait to train with this setup this week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic