Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenergy 05 fx vs Tenergy 80 ?!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2014 at 10:24am
So far, I've probably tried >6 T80 sheets and dozens of T05 sheets with T80 always used with T05 on the other side. My impression has always been the same: T05 is more powerful than T80. Perhaps, on slow / medium strokes, T80 is bouncier (feels that way as it spins less), on proper strokes, T05 is the beast.

Regarding T80 vs T05FX, I'd decide based on what blade is being used. If it is a soft blade or one with soft outers, go for T80. If it is a hard and / or fast blade, use T05FX.
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2014 at 11:44am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

So far, I've probably tried >6 T80 sheets and dozens of T05 sheets with T80 always used with T05 on the other side. My impression has always been the same: T05 is more powerful than T80. Perhaps, on slow / medium strokes, T80 is bouncier (feels that way as it spins less), on proper strokes, T05 is the beast.

Regarding T80 vs T05FX, I'd decide based on what blade is being used. If it is a soft blade or one with soft outers, go for T80. If it is a hard and / or fast blade, use T05FX.

T-80 is (on average) more controlled that either one of T-05 or T-05 FX (t-05 being of course teh most sensitive of them). T-05 FX tends to pop the ball too much sometimes because of the catapult effect being a bit more pronounced on slow-medium shots.

Yes, T-80 is less powerful than T-05 on strong shots and produces a bit less spin. Vs T-05 FX it bottoms out slower which is usually a plus, and it is more controlled in mid-power shots (on average).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2014 at 2:22pm
If you train and get good technique, these rubber distinctions become interesting preferences and little more.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 2:46am
i really like 05fx as bh rubber, but for cpen player i feel its a bit too heavy.. have go to lighter euro rubber now
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

If you train and get good technique, these rubber distinctions become interesting preferences and little more.

At some point - especially for veteran players who do that for 30-40 years by now - there is almost nothing they can add to their technique (not to mention that their speed, focus, mobility etc is gradually declining), but playing with a slightly different rubber could still give them a few (not many, of course) percent of additional oomph, or control, or spin, what have you. Depends on individual technique and preferences.

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 4:05pm
Tenergy 80 has a much longer throw than reg 05 (i.e. bouncier). T05fx is much slower than 05 and 80. So not a very good comparison based on speed and throw. Feel, maybe. But I guess it all depends on the whole setup.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Tenergy 80 has a much longer throw than reg 05 (i.e. bouncier). T05fx is much slower than 05 and 80. So not a very good comparison based on speed and throw. Feel, maybe. But I guess it all depends on the whole setup.

I'll have to disagree with you on both counts. My opinion is that even if T-80 throws ball longer than T-05, the difference is negligible. Also T-05 FX did not ever feel to me as "much slower" than T-80 - I would say, if T-05 FX doesn't bottom out, it produces at least same speed as T-80. But... as they say, mileage may vary...

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

T-80 is (on average) more controlled that either one of T-05 or T-05 FX (t-05 being of course teh most sensitive of them). T-05 FX tends to pop the ball too much sometimes because of the catapult effect being a bit more pronounced on slow-medium shots.

Yes, T-80 is less powerful than T-05 on strong shots and produces a bit less spin. Vs T-05 FX it bottoms out slower which is usually a plus, and it is more controlled in mid-power shots (on average).

I find 80 less controllable, both on FH and BH. The longer throw means I miss the table more. I'm very used to 05, so its reaction to spin doesn't bother me as much as 80's longer throw/bounce. And the harder feeling of 05 makes my first topspin easier, and blocking is more controlled with 05, as long as I have the proper angle. But again, I'm very used to 05, and not at all to 80, so maybe my perception is skewed. Confused

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

At some point - especially for veteran players who do that for 30-40 years by now - there is almost nothing they can add to their technique (not to mention that their speed, focus, mobility etc is gradually declining), but playing with a slightly different rubber could still give them a few (not many, of course) percent of additional oomph, or control, or spin, what have you. Depends on individual technique and preferences.

Sure, but that can only be validated by using the rubber for an extended period of time. And even that requires adjustments. If we were talking about radically different rubbers, I would agree, but these rubbers largely live in the same zip code. We aren't comparing Mark V to Tenergy 05 here.
Cybershape Carbon
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 5:32pm

Sure, but that can only be validated by using the rubber for an extended period of time. And even that requires adjustments. If we were talking about radically different rubbers, I would agree, but these rubbers largely live in the same zip code. We aren't comparing Mark V to Tenergy 05 here.

Not necessarily. I've seen cases when people used a rubber for a few months and then someone (a coach or a clubmate) advised them to switch to something else - and they started showing better game within a week or so. It happens.

Not to mention, sometimes people try and switch simply because of the price. If I had a lot of money  to burn I would probably use Tenergies or other expensive rubbers (50-60 dollars range) only and change them every month, or so. As it stands, I have to use them longer than I'd like, and also trying some other rubbers in 20-30 dollars range, some of them being pretty decently close to Tenergy performance - for my style and my level, of course.

aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 12:17am
If you need little faster like 10-15% on powershot, T80 might be the answer while you loose some spin. T05FX is already fast rubber. If you feel lack of power, it gotta be the driver, You :)
Your gears are already on fast scale as ZLC+T series.

Originally posted by Mdman Mdman wrote:

I am playing with Tenergy 05 fx on forehand and my backhand is Tenergy 64 , looping with 05 fx is comfortable but sometimes I feel like I am lacking power. my blade is Innerforce ZLC, I hear good things about Tenergy 80 and I was wondering how it compares to Tenergy 05 fx in terms of spin, speed, power, top spin on top spin and so on?
Thanks in advance
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 12:46am
Couple things to share.
While ago a coach friend excitingly handed me to try his student's new combo, Amulart+T80. He was very impressed. And he was right, I was awed how it effortless hit the balls with power + precision and also has good feeling and control. Blade was light and fast, faster thanIF ZLC and lot faster than my normal blade. But strange, I did not feel under-control with the fast loops and blocks. It was really that good.

Before you run out and buy this blade. One catch. I felt it did not spin the balls as much. If your game does not built around with extreme spin but drive and placement, it might be a good choice.

Edited by aroonkl - 11/13/2014 at 12:52am
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

If you need little faster like 10-15% on powershot, T80 might be the answer while you loose some spin. T05FX is already fast rubber. If you feel lack of power, it gotta be the driver, You :)

I am playing with Tenergy 05 fx on forehand and my backhand is Tenergy 64 , looping with 05 fx is comfortable but sometimes I feel like I am lacking power. my blade is Innerforce ZLC, I hear good things about Tenergy 80 and I was wondering how it compares to Tenergy 05 fx in terms of spin, speed, power, top spin on top spin and so on?
Thanks in advance

So you think IF ZLC plus T05 fx is fast enough an I shouldn't try T80 and I should stick with my setup for a while?

Edited by Mdman - 11/14/2014 at 4:35pm
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 6:42pm
Can someone elaborate about the difference between the concepts of "being sensitive to spin" and "bounciness"?
I haven't played with 05 fx and 80, but I guess that the ranking would be like this
Sensitive to spin ( from most sensitive to less ) 05, 05 fx, 80, 64?
Bounciness (from bounciest to less) 64, 80, 05, 05 fx?
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

05fx is bouncier than regular 05.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 11:21pm

Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

Thanks in advance

So you think IF ZLC plus T05 fx is fast enough an I shouldn't try T80 and I should stick with my setup for a while?
As the others said, flip 64 on FH  + see it it fast enough for you. And if you like the feeling of harder rubber, T80 or 64 is good. T80 is little slower than 64.

Also depend on how you loop. 
-What is your most dominant style when you loop? Extremly brush and make spinny loops, Control+Placement (med spin/speed) loop, crush the ball for kill loop?
-Does 05FX bottom out a lot?

Edited by aroonkl - 11/14/2014 at 11:39pm
nyblad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyblad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 3:49pm
To me t05fx is a little more easy to loop with and you can get away with slightly worse technic but T80 is alot more easy for blocks and returning serves tight. 

I prefere T80 by alot.
Stiga Allround Wood NCT
FH: T05 2.1
BH: T80 2.1
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by nyblad nyblad wrote:

To me t05fx is a little more easy to loop with and you can get away with slightly worse technic but T80 is alot more easy for blocks and returning serves tight. 

I prefere T80 by alot.

now you made me thinking again if I should try the T80 on my backhand?! I like T05 fx for backhand loops but sometimes it bottoms out and there is not enough power. maybe T80 doesn't have that problem and is still controllable.

Edited by Mdman - 11/17/2014 at 4:12pm
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

05fx is bouncier than regular 05.

So 80 is bouncier than 05fx, but less sensitive to spin? Right?

But I don't get the concepts of sensitivity to spin and bounciness...isn't it that a rubber more sensitive to spin should be bouncier than a rubber less sensitive to spin?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 2:03am
Bounciness has more to do with speed/catapult than spin and is for tensioned rubbers, which allow the ball to sink more easily into the sponge. Spin sensitivity has to do mostly with topsheet grip. Soft rubbers are usually bouncy in the short game at least, while harder, less tensioned rubbers are not. Chinese tacky rubbers and very grippy Euro rubbers are spin sensitive, meaning that passive play results in spin reacting more with the rubber.

The flipside is that if you are active in using a spin sensitive rubber, you can usually overpower spin. That said, bounciness can make that less intuitive depending on your rubber preferences.
Cybershape Carbon
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 11:34pm
Thanks, NL.
So, as a general concept, I guess it would be right to say that, if you are not a skilled player, in strokes that rely primarily on the topsheet is more difficult to play with a rubber that reacts to spin than with a rubber that is bouncier but less reactive to spin?
In summary, if you are not skilled, a return of a short serve or the short game would be easier with Tenergy 80 than with Tenergy 05fx? (If you are skilled, any rubber would do the job fine, I guess).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 11:51pm
The usual answer is yes, but IMO, the correct answer is depends on how active your return game is because generating spin enables you to control the ball better.

Bounciness/tension, BTW, is related to mechanical spin generation.   But it plays a much lesser role in spin sensitivity while making the touch game slightly harder

In my opinion, it is best to play with spin sensitive rubbers for a while when committing to inverted. Reading spin is an unavoidable part of the game and asyou get better, forgiving rubbers may help with blocks and counters, but not consistently enough to protect you from better players if you don't develop good technique and spin reads.
Cybershape Carbon
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by nyblad nyblad wrote:

I prefere T80 by alot.

now you made me thinking again if I should try the T80 on my backhand?! I like T05 fx for backhand loops but sometimes it bottoms out and there is not enough power. maybe T80 doesn't have that problem and is still controllable.

Well, why not try. I did exactly that, and on some (slower and softer) blades I certainly liked T-80 somewhat better than T-05 FX on BH.

Then there is also T-80 FX which is also a very nice rubber Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic