Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have Xushaofa balls been banned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have Xushaofa balls been banned?
    Posted: 11/06/2014 at 4:42am
I was talking with another local player who was adamant that the Xushaofa plastic balls have been banned by the ITTF from international competition.  According to them, it's because Xushaofa have taken out a patent on their seamless ball, which displeases the ITTF because it restricts the number of possible manufacturers of seamless balls.

When I said I hadn't seen anything about this on the forums (meaning here and ooak), their response was that they had heard if from suppliers.

Has anyone else heard whispers along these lines?  Or is this another case of Tasmania mania?
Sponsored Links

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 6:09am
They are still listed under the equipment section on the ITTF page so it must be a severe case of false gossip.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

They are still listed under the equipment section on the ITTF page so it must be a severe case of false gossip.
No, it's not that the balls have been taken off the approved list, but that they not eligible for use in international competition.  Two different things.

I agree that it's probably not true.  I'm intrigued though that this guy was so definite.
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 6:57am
if they are banned from international competitions, why isnt there any official announcement about it?unless its an "off the record" ban. I dont know even with the celluloid ball if any international tournament was played with xushaofa, almost all of them was with butterfly dhs and nittaku
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 7:50am
People who had ball deals before the ban simply maintained them. No need for conspiracy theories.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
thatguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 9:00am
Question should be if you want to start a conspiracy theory. "why does Butterfly and Nittaku have a strangle hold on international competition? " :)

...XuShaoFu not banned from international competition....just those two have been the balls used like FOREVER :)

It's consistency players at that level need so one or two brands with proven consistency have been used...this was decided a long time agao when there were few players to begin with BUT now although brands have multipled somewhat and choices based on whatever reason we personally choose balls...the recognized brands as "the go to" remains to maintain consistency.

How the modern consumer of TT products views that should be based on one's history of all aspects of the games...if we all thought alike there would not be this forum ;)

Edited by thatguy - 11/06/2014 at 9:07am
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 9:07am
To expand on the "ball deals" mentioned in Next Level's post.

The balls used in an international or national championship level tournament or a series of tournaments  are generally not selected for the best quality ball.  Manufacturers pay the tournament to be an exclusive sponsor and have their balls used for that event.  Those sponsorships are generally done on a multi-year basis.  In the case of ITTF all the sponsorships at the time of the new ball introduction were filled until 2016.  DHS had the pro-tour events and Butterfly had the junior events.  Not sure if Nittaku had any subset of international competition sponsored.   Nittaku does have a sponsorship contract with the USATT so their new poly ball is being used in 2014 US Nationals

So Xushaofa can not be used in ITTF events until at least 2016.  Even then, Xushaofa may not want to pay the money needed to become the ball sponsor and have their balls used at ITTF events.

Mark
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 9:08am
I know there is bad blood between XSF and DHS because originally the seamless ball was supposed to be a joint venture between DHS, XSF and Palio, and DHS dropped out (and as an act of desparation ended up making seamed balls, using what is basically their existing process with a new material).  I also know that DHS has a deal with ITTF.  So at an unofficial level, this sounds plausible to me.  The XSF ball is vastly superior to the DHS ball.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

To expand on the "ball deals" mentioned in Next Level's post.

The balls used in an international or national championship level tournament or a series of tournaments  are generally not selected for the best quality ball.  Manufacturers pay the tournament to be an exclusive sponsor and have their balls used for that event.  Those sponsorships are generally done on a multi-year basis.  In the case of ITTF all the sponsorships at the time of the new ball introduction were filled until 2016.  DHS had the pro-tour events and Butterfly had the junior events.  Not sure if Nittaku had any subset of international competition sponsored.   Nittaku does have a sponsorship contract with the USATT so their new poly ball is being used in 2014 US Nationals

So Xushaofa can not be used in ITTF events until at least 2016.  Even then, Xushaofa may not want to pay the money needed to become the ball sponsor and have their balls used at ITTF events.

Mark

This looks like the best explanation. I did not realise that Nittaku is the US Nationals sponsor. Good on them.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 1:15pm
Nittaku was also the ball for the European Team Championships.  DFish was the ball for the North American Championships.

It all depends who a variety of things including the relationships of vendors with the national association.  I'm getting more used to the plastic balls (DHS and DFish balls and their clones) as more tournaments are migrating to them and I therefore have to practice with them.  The weird bounces go both ways so I just assume they will even out.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I know there is bad blood between XSF and DHS because originally the seamless ball was supposed to be a joint venture between DHS, XSF and Palio, and DHS dropped out (and as an act of desparation ended up making seamed balls, using what is basically their existing process with a new material).  I also know that DHS has a deal with ITTF.  So at an unofficial level, this sounds plausible to me.  The XSF ball is vastly superior to the DHS ball.

Yes, this. I remember years back, there were planning on ALL of the balls being seamless. (There were videos of Adam Sharara talking to Chinese reporters). Then there were patent issues, maybe the patent owners wanted too much money for each ball. 
All in all, OP's friend could be digging up old news.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Yes, this. I remember years back, there were planning on ALL of the balls being seamless. (There were videos of Adam Sharara talking to Chinese reporters). Then there were patent issues, maybe the patent owners wanted too much money for each ball. 
All in all, OP's friend could be digging up old news.

There were also quality issues reported with the problem being a lack of uniformity in wall thickness for the seamless balls.  I don't know how much of that was true or how much of it was exaggerated to perhaps cover other motives, but that was an issue.  I think the ITTF published a paper showing the issue with early batches/prototypes.  It is good to see that the seamless ball has evolved and is now one of the highest in quality.  Does it still sound "broken?"

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2014 at 10:05pm
Sound is very much improved and is pretty much like other plastic balls. Durable. Round. Nice bounce. Slower. Less spinny. Vastly superior to DHS.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2014 at 10:12pm

Sound is very much improved and is pretty much like other plastic balls. Durable. Round. Nice bounce. Slower. Less spinny. Vastly superior to DHS.

So where is the best place to purchase?  I have no intention of continuing to pay the price for Nittaku Premium 40+ balls - even if the drop to the approx. $2/ball of the celluloid premiums.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2014 at 11:49pm
I bought mine here, got them in less than 1 week.
www.vsport.es

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 3:59am
I brought a bunch of Xushaofa balls to the club tonight.  Everyone loved it!  I think it plays better than the Japanese Nittaku polyballs and I was not the only one who thought so tonight...
I think it should be the standard ball for table tennis.  Seamless balls for the 21st century, yeah!

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 9:46am

DEAR FRIENDS,
YOU ARE KINDLY WELCOME TO PURCHASE XuShaofa seamless plastic balls
FROM PRODUCTION SOURCE DIRECTLY.

The ball not to be broken too easily.
Selling price $0.5 per one (bulk supply)
Meets every ITTF standard.

Contact person:   Mr. Franklin Yan, the boss of Minkow Shanghai Ball Plant.
This sports goods factory is now contracted to produce seamless balls for XuShaoafa enterprise group and other brands.
NB// XSF is the patent holder and developer of the new plastic materials, and The Minkow's factory is the balls maker.

Mr.Yan would be only too glad to cooperate with more forein resellers. He can offer a great price discount on a bulk supply.

To contact the Minkow 's trading department please go this way
http://www.minkow.com.cn
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 10:03am
Xushaofa 3 star and Xushaofa Sport 3 star are 2 different balls and both approved ITTF balls.
Just FYI
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 1:31pm
How do you pronounce Xushaofa?  Or at least, something close for a native English speaker.

Thanks.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:28pm
Xu = Shhhhhhhhh (like asking kids to be quiet in the library)
Shao = Add a "S" in front of the word owl, so "S-owl" and say it strongly
Fa = Like F#uck but remove the "ck".

So Shhhhh - S-owl! - F#  Big smile

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Xushaofa 3 star and Xushaofa Sport 3 star are 2 different balls and both approved ITTF balls.
Just FYI

A supplier says they are the same ball and this picture is the new logo version.  The old one is no longer being sold at this moment... Don't know if it's true or not, just FYI...

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Xu = Shhhhhhhhh (like asking kids to be quiet in the library)
Shao = Add a "S" in front of the word owl, so "S-owl" and say it strongly
Fa = Like F#uck but remove the "ck".

So Shhhhh - S-owl! - F#  Big smile

Thanks.  Is there actually an "l" sound in the middle "S-owl" section?

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:39pm
they are very different. old one is lighter, softer, much more fragile, thinner - almost transparent. 
Based on my sample, new one is also more round.

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

No "I" sound, just straight "S" (not "Sheee" but "S" like in "Sit" without the "it"). Smile

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by iakovka iakovka wrote:

they are very different. old one is lighter, softer, much more fragile, thinner - almost transparent. 
Based on my sample, new one is also more round.

When I bought mine, I was told I got the very last ones of the new lot with the old logo... They are very robust and round, not semi-transparent in color at all...

Edited by roundrobin - 11/17/2014 at 2:21am

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 3:01pm

No "I" sound, just straight "S" (not "Sheee" but "S" like in "Sit" without the "it"). Smile

I should have used a capitol "L" in my follow-up question.  Part of the problem, of course is that Chinese and English phonetics are different and only similar in some ways.

Either way, the original explanation was very good and I have a good sense in my mind about how it should sound.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 3:04pm

I should have used a capitol "L" in my follow-up question. 

Yes, a weak "L" at the end of "S-owl", almost silent...

Edited by roundrobin - 11/16/2014 at 3:11pm

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 5:20pm

I brought a bunch of Xushaofa balls to the club tonight.  Everyone loved it!  I think it plays better than the Japanese Nittaku polyballs and I was not the only one who thought so tonight...
I think it should be the standard ball for table tennis.  Seamless balls for the 21st century, yeah!

Who are you buying the balls from?  I don't want to end up with some of the old seamless balls which were pretty bad.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 5:51pm
Pingpongdepot.com
Got mine in 5 days. I think you get a break in shipping on orders over $60...

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 6:14pm

Pingpongdepot.com
Got mine in 5 days. I think you get a break in shipping on orders over $60...

Thanks. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic