FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Short Pips on the Backhand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2014 at 3:46am
recommendation from the shops there I guess.  He's tried a few other older pips like challenger, superspinpips, and a few chinese ones but clippa was his weapon bazooka of choice after experimenting

Edited by schen - 11/08/2014 at 3:47am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Sponsored Links

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2014 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

recommendation from the shops there I guess.  He's tried a few other older pips like challenger, superspinpips, and a few chinese ones but clippa was his weapon bazooka of choice after experimenting

do you know more short pips players(pro or any top level) beside shao yu and what are they using?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2014 at 11:32pm
The only two other high level SP players I know in person are

Tong Fei Ming (Taiwanese National Women's Team)
Blade:  Stiga Carbo 7.6 - Master FL
FH:  Hurricane 3 national (orange) 2.2mm
BH:  Haifu Dolphin 2.0mm

Lily Yip (LYTTC)
Blade:  Timo Boll ALC - cpen
FH:  BTY Challenger Attack 1.9mm
BH:  BTY Challenger Attack 1.9mm

I've also taken a look of Guang Qing Feng's (2700 short pip chopper) setup:
Blade:  BTY Joo Sae Hyuk - FL
FH:  Hurricane 3 NEO (commercial) (not sure what thickness)
BH:  Spectol Soft or Spectol 21 - 1.7~1.9mm (not spectol speed despite Westchester's commentary)

I should also add that Shao Yu uses a Stiga Clipper Oversize WRB blade, and H3NEO Provincial 39deg 2.1mm on his FH.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 9:15am

I've also taken a look of Guang Qing Feng's (2700 short pip chopper) setup:
Blade:  BTY Joo Sae Hyuk - FL
FH:  Hurricane 3 NEO (commercial) (not sure what thickness)
BH:  Spectol Soft or Spectol 21 - 1.7~1.9mm (not spectol speed despite Westchester's commentary)

Thanks for this, I knew something was off when they said Spectol speed. Nobody chops with Spectol speed.

However, I'm surprised about him using a commercial Neo. I figured any Chinese player 2500 and up who used Hurricane would use Provincial.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 12:08pm
I saw him glue and cut a sheet of commercial at westchester just before playing (it was already tuned).  I assume he might have run out of his provincial supply during his contract with Lily Yip's and just put whatever on his forehand (I've even seen him use Omega IV Pro before as a last resort).

I'm sure it doesn't matter too much to him when he plays most people in the US, the only two people he's lost to here were world top 100 Bojan Tokic (once) and NYISC's coach Liang Jishan (twice).

Dynasty / H3 / H3
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 3:25pm
What about coach li yuxiang?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2014 at 3:40pm
He uses a dhs pip last time i saw him, either dragonow or sharping - not sure on his blade.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 11:44pm
schen...i dropped by your club tonight and talked Shao Yu. He gave me his mobile so we could set up a first coaching lesson sometime after the Thanksgiving holiday.  I mentioned you recommended him and he pointed you out and you were playing. So I didn't want to bother you. Everybody there is friendly and coach Shao Yu was very nice. I will hopefully get better with some coaching. Thanks and talk to you soon...hopefully in person.Big smileBig smileBig smile
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 12:53am
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

schen...i dropped by your club tonight and talked Shao Yu. He gave me his mobile so we could set up a first coaching lesson sometime after the Thanksgiving holiday.  I mentioned you recommended him and he pointed you out and you were playing. So I didn't want to bother you. Everybody there is friendly and coach Shao Yu was very nice. I will hopefully get better with some coaching. Thanks and talk to you soon...hopefully in person.Big smileBig smileBig smile

damn, missed you!

I'll be back after the NA teams, we should definitely play!  I am permanently moving back to California in January after nationals so hopefully we run into eachother before then!

Dynasty / H3 / H3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 10:08am
Ah... No wonder you are such a happy guy. You have all that Cali in you. Remind me never to play you again since in Cali, your pen hold style will only thrive and give me more nightmares. All the Cali penholders I have played over 2k, which you will be at some point, have annihilated me...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 5:15pm
schen...i am going to try to setup a session with Coach Yu the following Wednesday after Thanksgiving. If he isn't busy. Good luck to you and your clubmates at the tourney. May you reach 2000!!! Big smile
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 3:29am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Ah... No wonder you are such a happy guy. You have all that Cali in you. Remind me never to play you again since in Cali, your pen hold style will only thrive and give me more nightmares. All the Cali penholders I have played over 2k, which you will be at some point, have annihilated me...

Hahaha hopefully I will live up to your expectations Embarrassed

Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

schen...i am going to try to setup a session with Coach Yu the following Wednesday after Thanksgiving. If he isn't busy. Good luck to you and your clubmates at the tourney. May you reach 2000!!! Big smile

Thanks!  And I'll hopefully run into you the week after thanksgiving at the club!

Dynasty / H3 / H3
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 4:57pm
Hey guys...does anyone play with short pips on the BH and ZJ ALC? Is it too soft for pips? What is your suggestion?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 5:38pm
I dont have a Zhang Zhike ALC. As you know, short pips on the backhand players are very few. I would advise you to ask your friends and playing partners to test out there blades with a piece of short pips rubber you can glue on. This is if they are willing to. Some people treat there blades as gold and they can get a little crazy. Otherwise it will cost you a lot of money purchasing and trying out new blades. For me from experience...i like harder and stiffer blades and lose some control due to the fast nature of the blade, but this is my own preference. Some people prefer softer blades for better control. You have to know your game and tactics and what your prefer. This is my opinion only...so always please form you own opinion and hope your decisions work out. Best of luck!!! Smile
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2015 at 3:51pm
Hey schen -

How did you know Guang Qing Feng wasn't using Spectol Speed?   Isn't the topsheet the same?

I'm a big fan of GQF and thought it would be odd for the commentator to mistake Spectol for Spectol Speed since Spectol is much more popular.  
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2015 at 6:31pm
I asked Guang Qing Feng in person and confirmed with Lily Yip.  It is regular spectol, 1.7-1.9mm thickness.  The sponge is the difference, with spectol speed being harder and a minty-white color.  Guang Qing Fengs was very much yellow, and felt like regular spectol hardness, not 21 sponge.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2015 at 9:23pm

I asked Guang Qing Feng in person and confirmed with Lily Yip.  It is regular spectol, 1.7-1.9mm thickness.  The sponge is the difference, with spectol speed being harder and a minty-white color.  Guang Qing Fengs was very much yellow, and felt like regular spectol hardness, not 21 sponge.

I can also confirm this as I also did the same thing a couple of months ago.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 6:47am
Where does GQF coach now?  Still at Lily Yip?
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 7:06am
Yes.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 3:26pm
Schen can you ask lily what pips would recomend for cpen besides challenger?

Edited by bbkon - 07/19/2015 at 1:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic