Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Expedite system or sudden death?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expedite system or sudden death?
    Posted: 11/17/2014 at 4:57am
Hi all,

I'm watching Swedish Open 2014 and see this video about EXPEDITE SYSTEM where players rally for more than 10min and got stop by the Refs/Umpires. Any body knows about this rule? Who will win that point? is this rule just like NFL sudden death rule? Ouch

Sponsored Links

tianhai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tianhai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2014 at 5:36am
Firstly, expedite don't come in when rally last for 10 min.. It is really impossible for any rally to last for 10 minute.. unless the players purposely play softly.. 

Expedite comes into play when a game reaches 10 min and the total score for that game is under 18 point.
If a rally is in play when 10 min is up, asst. umpire calls 'time' and that rally is a let (replay that point). The next server will be the one serving for the previous rally (the rally when 'time' is called). If 10 min is up when no rally is in play (players towelling or picking up ball), asst umpire will still call time. The next server is the receiver of the preceding rally.

When expedite is in play, if the receiver can make 13 good returns, the rally will be stopped by the umpire and the receiver shall get the point. If the rally ends before the receiver can make 13 good return, whoever wins the rally will get the point (as per normal).

when expedite is in play, each player serve one point instead of 2 to be fair (server is usually at disadvantage as he/she need to win before 13 rallies or else he/she will lose the point). 

Edited by tianhai - 11/17/2014 at 5:37am
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2014 at 6:38am
wow, what a point! 
u47108 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u47108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2014 at 8:26am
Expedite system  China Open 2014 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWrB7apcSmk
Donic Burn Off

FH:Donic Acuda BLUE P01 max black

BH:Donic Acuda BLUE P02 max red
fb pg:https://www.facebook.com/TDMVideos/
acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2014 at 7:44pm
thanks guys !

i didn't know there's such thing ! i thought, usually it will ends really fast (kill or be killed). but if you could hang on for 10mins ...man i will give them extra points ! hahaha lol (just a thought) Thumbs Up
rsundarajan_r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsundarajan_r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 4:50am
Here is the full history of Expedite systemSmile

http://www.allabouttabletennis.com/basic-table-tennis-rule.html
Fan of Wang LiQin
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 7:17pm
If you're fairly new to the game it is not surprising you haven't seen it because it is really rare in the modern game, and when it does happen it is almost always in matches between two defenders.  This case was especially unusual because Ai Fukuhara is not a defender, but her short game is stead as a rock.
unkn0wn0ne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkn0wn0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:36am
I watched this (incorrectly titled) video at Swedish Open 2014. I have heard of the umpire interrupting matches during great points to introduce the expedite system.

Hey I have seen 2 defensive players just push & push for the first 10 minutes with no attempt to win a point . That is a different story & it is OK to introduce the expedite system as soon as 10 minutes or whatever is up.

The crowd erupted in appreciation for both players after this point and even more at the end of the match. The consistency, endurance, determination and athleticism of both players is mind-blowing.

Reminded me of many titanic battles between a young Waldner & Li Gun Sang and many matches of Joo Sehyuk against Kong Ling Hui & Ma Long.

But is disgusting for the umpire to stop the point when both players are genuinely trying to win the point (even the defender in this case was attacking again and again suddenly) .

In my opinion some sort of rule change is needed. How long can they last ? May be 10 , 15 minutes ? May be the umpire should give at least 10 or 15 minutes for that specific point to continue and then be allowed to interrupt.

As part of being a total athlete is also endurance, this must be also tested .

Of course on the contrary majority of the table-tennis players (themselves) would want a rule change to end the point within 5 balls . And that is why most rule changes favor attackers (& eliminate spectators). Do I need to get into this and banned from the forum again & again LOL ?

Edited by unkn0wn0ne - 11/23/2014 at 11:55am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:47am
Agree, it was really annoying that the umpire interrupted a great point but he was just following the rules, which probably should be changed.  I don't think an expedite rule of any kind is still needed in TT, evidenced by how rarely it is ever seen in effect anymore.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:38pm
The rule is definitely needed. People who think otherwise just don't watch enough women's TT.

TT is not a rich sport with dedicated facilities. Things will not run on schedule with crazy long matches.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/23/2014 at 12:41pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

If you're fairly new to the game it is not surprising you haven't seen it because it is really rare in the modern game, and when it does happen it is almost always in matches between two defenders.  This case was especially unusual because Ai Fukuhara is not a defender, but her short game is stead as a rock.

I know about a match between 2 non defensive players going expedite system
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 4:52pm
Expedite has been around in some form or another for over 80 years
 I would prefer the expedite to be called after the point ends 

but then again Ive been a umpire when my former team-mate and opposition were just pushing for such a long time 3 games took 40 mins (best of 7 and still at 2-1), I went and grabed my phone and timed the next match and when the 10 mins come up I made then play the sxpedite system even though I said two serves each lol, 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 5:18pm
ohh yer I hate how it says the longest rally of all time, when they know its not true and not even close to being true 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkn0wn0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The rule is definitely needed..

Huh ? Did someone in this thread say the rule is not needed ? If they did I did not see it.

As far me, I only commented on the umpire interrupting and ending a specific point. To be clear I see no problem with the rule being enforced and even explained the need for it in my first post. As far not watching enough women's matches, again , I did say I have no problem with the umpire interrupting play when two defenders are involved. In fact if I am mistaken, there is even a provision in the expedite rule that allows the expedite to start right away if both players agree

And IMO letting them play another 10 minutes (that specific point) would effect the whole tournament is ridiculous. Tournaments should feel lucky they got such a great point.

I guess that is why the crowd broke into applause when the umpire stopped it. And the crowd ovation was even bigger at the end of the match.

If you do not want your tournament be a venue to such great play and 10 more minutes are much more important to you , then I guess you should let the umpires interrupt such great points.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 7:58pm

Agree, it was really annoying that the umpire interrupted a great point but he was just following the rules, which probably should be changed.  I don't think an expedite rule of any kind is still needed in TT, evidenced by how rarely it is ever seen in effect anymore.

The existence of the rule may very well be part of the reason we don't see situations where it is needed.  People avoid having it invoked.

I agree that the rule should be amended not to interrupt a point that is being seriously contested.  I'm just not sure how to do it.  Also, the need for the amendment wouldn't come up very frequently.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by unkn0wn0ne unkn0wn0ne wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The rule is definitely needed..

Huh ? Did someone in this thread say the rule is not needed ? If they did I did not see it.

This was just above what I wrote so hopefully, you'll look more closely next time.

As far me, I only commented on the umpire interrupting and ending a specific point. To be clear I see no problem with the rule being enforced and even explained the need for it in my first post. As far not watching enough women's matches, again , I did say I have no problem with the umpire interrupting play when two defenders are involved. In fact if I am mistaken, there is even a provision in the expedite rule that allows the expedite to start right away if both players agree

And IMO letting them play another 10 minutes (that specific point) would effect the whole tournament is ridiculous. Tournaments should feel lucky they got such a great point.

I guess that is why the crowd broke into applause when the umpire stopped it. And the crowd ovation was even bigger at the end of the match.

If you do not want your tournament be a venue to such great play and 10 more minutes are much more important to you , then I guess you should let the umpires interrupt such great points.

I watched the point live and it was fun to watch.  But there are many equally great points that get interrupted by lets etc.    There are 100+ shot rallies out there.  There are rallies that go from offense to pushing contests.  Where to draw the line? 

Fan Zhendong vs. Steffen Mengel got moved to another table to accommodate the delays to the schedule caused by this match and possibly one other that followed.  This match was interesting if I remember rightly in that a couple of sets went over 10 mins, but it was already 9-9.

I have never been a fan of tennis where instead of using a tiebreaker, they allow people to continue endlessly in grand slam events.  This exhausts the winner and makes him tired for the next match.  I prefer this attempt to limit the match, even if it has the unfortunate consequence of taking away desired drama in a few cases.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkn0wn0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 10:35pm
Quote Fan Zhendong vs. Steffen Mengel got moved to another table to accommodate the delays to the schedule caused by this match and possibly one other that followed.  This match was interesting if I remember rightly in that a couple of sets went over 10 mins, but it was already 9-9.
DIV]

Sure I understand. The crowd would be cheering louder than they did for this match, for the usual third & fifth ball attack comedy of errors routine of two attackers   

Edited by unkn0wn0ne - 11/24/2014 at 10:36pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 12:09am

Quote Fan Zhendong vs. Steffen Mengel got moved to another table to accommodate the delays to the schedule caused by this match and possibly one other that followed.  This match was interesting if I remember rightly in that a couple of sets went over 10 mins, but it was already 9-9.
DIV]

Sure I understand. The crowd would be cheering louder than they did for this match, for the usual third & fifth ball attack comedy of errors routine of two attackers   

Sorry for the confusion but by "this match", I meant Fukuhara and Hu.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic