FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Violence in Table Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:52pm
This is his full post in the comment section of the said video.
(Just below Ashton Roberts' post.)
(The underlined, boldfaced, is where I got lost - and don't understand it.)

This umpire judged very strictly and in accordance with the rules. He gave the yellow card for a throw the bat on the floor, and the red one for the delay in the release of the table after the break. I think for this and suffered. 

Edited by skip3119 - 11/21/2014 at 2:55pm
skip3119
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:16pm
I think Alex Lomaev is working on getting a full video of the match uploaded.
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:18pm
Russia is a very interesting country.
who no know go know
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

I think Alex Lomaev is working on getting a full video of the match uploaded.

That would be great. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

This umpire judged very strictly and in accordance with the rules. He gave the yellow card for a throw the bat on the floor, and the red one for the delay in the release of the table after the break. I think for this and suffered. 

It's hard to say for sure with the language barrier and all, but I took it to mean that he was issued a red card  for being too slow to get back to the table after a timeout or in between games.

Edited by Ringer84 - 11/21/2014 at 3:35pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

It's hard to say for sure with the language barrier and all, but I took it to mean that he was issued a red card  for being too slow to get back to the table after a timeout or in between games.
===================================

Thanks for the clear explanation. 
skip3119
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

That is what Alex probably meant.

He also mentioned (on Russian forum) that as far as he knows, there is no video of the full match - only the last two minutes of it, that cover the incident.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by connor connor wrote:

Violence in Table Tennis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns5_qNBxXTA
=========================================

This video, the very first post of this thread, has 1,004, 810 views so far.

How many views of 2014 ITTF Men's and Women's World Cup put together?
There is no comparison.
================

The match was 3-0.  The 3rd game was 11-6.

What were the scores of the first 2 games?  Interesting to know if they were close.

Edited by skip3119 - 11/22/2014 at 8:28pm
skip3119
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

haha yeah, this can only happen in Russia! Tongue
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 7:07pm

Originally posted by connor connor wrote:

Violence in Table Tennis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns5_qNBxXTA
=========================================

This video, the very first post of this thread, has 1,004, 810 views do far.

How many views of 2014 ITTF Men's and Women's World Cup put together?
There is no comparison.
================

The match was 3-0.  The 3rd game was 11-6.

What were the scores of the first 2 games?  Interesting to know if they were close.

Unfortunately, the software that was used for the tournament skips the points for the SE stage matches, only shows score by sets (3-0 or 3-1 etc). For RR group stage matches the points are shown, but this was a final.

Here is the link to the results:

http://ttfr.ru/tmp/2014/2014_11_13_kalashnikov_results.pdf

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Fehrplay Fehrplay wrote:

Really? If only that were even remotely true...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63s1JSmGTe0

or use this search link https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=referee+beaten+up

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 8:23pm

I find this just a tad offensive. Every country has its share of crazies:

Edited by Tassie52 - 11/22/2014 at 8:24pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

I find this just a tad offensive. Every country has its share of crazies:

Yes.  And frankly, I don't see the kid as acting "crazy" at all.  He was anything BUT out of control.  In fact, he seemed to be a model of control.  It's just that his idea of what is/was appropriate needs some adjusting.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 8:41pm
Talking about "Hot", about 5 hours and 7 minutes ago, it had 1,004,810 views.
Now, it has 1,047,772 views.

An increase of 42,962 views in a little over 5 hours.
=================================

*** The match video has 240 comments.  I think that's a high number of comments for a TT match.***

Edited by skip3119 - 11/22/2014 at 8:48pm
skip3119
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 11:29pm
That was rude, anyway the judge was able to keep his temper intact. 
That's a good new for that blue shirt kid, he might get his ass kicked !!
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Crowsfeather Crowsfeather wrote:

That was rude, anyway the judge was able to keep his temper intact. 
That's a good new for that blue shirt kid, he might get his ass kicked !!
Unlesss... (a) The blue shirt kid's father is umpire-kid father's boss, or (b) The blue-shirt kid has a brother that is feared by the umpire-kid and his friends, or ( c) The smaller kid is actually better with his fists than the chubby umpire-kid, or... about 50 other real life reasons.
The world, unfortunately, isn't that different from the times when our predecessors were jumping from branch to branch running away from the guy who had the bigger stick. Manus, the hand, was supposed to help our brains grow better, but sometimes it still accomplishes something bad. 
Why would sports be any different than the rest of it all? One might think it should be about honesty, about fitness, about character, about youth development, etc, but the way things are nowadays, it isn't. Not much sense...

Edited by JacekGM - 11/23/2014 at 11:49am
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Why would sports be any different than the rest of it all? One might think it should be about honesty, about fitness, about character, about youth development, etc, but the way things are nowadays, it isn't. Not much sense...

But the reality is that it usually is about those things.  This video is showing the exception, the anomaly.  It isn't showing the norm. The norm is relatively boring and would receive a few hundred views typically.  It is common. It is because this video is not the norm (and because it is a bit violent) that it is attracting so much attention.  It now has over a million views.  The recent Zhang Jike video of barrier destruction was similarly popular.  Both videos distort reality in the same way the evening news does.  This tends to leave the public with a distorted view of the world.  This is one reason I only rarely watch televised news.

I'm sure that around the world most youth table tennis is about fitness, character and youth development. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:34am

One might think it should be about honesty, about fitness, about character, about youth development, etc, but the way things are nowadays, it isn't. Not much sense...

Well the world is large and has lots of people and sure you can find strange stuff happening here and there but for the most part table tennis and other sports are about honesty, fitness, fun, all that good stuff.  One thing like this happens and people start clutching their pearls.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

One might think it should be about honesty, about fitness, about character, about youth development, etc, but the way things are nowadays, it isn't. Not much sense...

Well the world is large and has lots of people and sure you can find strange stuff happening here and there but for the most part table tennis and other sports are about honesty, fitness, fun, all that good stuff.  One thing like this happens and people start clutching their pearls.
Thanks for your information, I will take it... but there is a "yes" and a "no"... for one, I would like to be making 10% of what NBA guys, on average, are making. Some say I am better than average in my profession, yet I will never approach anything close to that income level... and this is not good stuff. Okay, agreed, I will never be violent enough to garner this kind of popularity. Never.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

But the reality is that it usually is about those things.  This video is showing the exception, the anomaly.  It isn't showing the norm. The norm is relatively boring and would receive a few hundred views typically.  It is common. It is because this video is not the norm (and because it is a bit violent) that it is attracting so much attention.  It now has over a million views.  The recent Zhang Jike video of barrier destruction was similarly popular.  Both videos distort reality in the same way the evening news does.  This tends to leave the public with a distorted view of the world.  This is one reason I only rarely watch televised news.

I'm sure that around the world most youth table tennis is about fitness, character and youth development. 
I want this to be true, no less than you do...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:02pm

Thanks for your information, I will take it... but there is a "yes" and a "no"... for one, I would like to be making 10% of what NBA guys, on average, are making. Some say I am better than average in my profession, yet I will never approach anything close to that income level... and this is not good stuff. Okay, agreed, I will never be violent enough to garner this kind of popularity. Never.

Not sure what you are saying, but in any case, the Russian kid has anger issues of some sort that his coaches and family should help him with, if possible, assuming that they recognize them as problematic.  He should seriously consider switching to hockey because he probably has no future in TT.  Probably the other kids in the tournament had fun, exercised, showed their skill, etc.  Watch videos from our Siberian forum member and you see lots of the positive.  One other thing, count the number of generations between now and the neolithic era and ask why we should be expected to be very different?  Every adaptation that helped our species survive that environment is still at work.  That's just how it is.  One last thing.  Nobody pays to watch x-ray crystallographers or physiologists work. 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:07pm
Jumping over the net might increase our sport's popularity!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:11pm

He should have been disqualified then escorted out of the building. Yes that is a form of assault and he could be taken to court.

There is zero tolerance for this kind of behavior.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:13pm

Not sure what you are saying, but in any case, the Russian kid has anger issues of some sort that his coaches and family should help him with, if possible, assuming that they recognize them as problematic.  He should seriously consider switching to hockey because he probably has no future in TT.  Probably the other kids in the tournament had fun, exercised, showed their skill, etc.  Watch videos from our Siberian forum member and you see lots of the positive.  One other thing, count the number of generations between now and the neolithic era and ask why we should be expected to be very different?  Every adaptation that helped our species survive that environment is still at work.  That's just how it is.  One last thing.  Nobody pays to watch x-ray crystallographers or physiologists work. 
Well, exactly... I am glad we agree about the facts.

Edited by JacekGM - 11/23/2014 at 12:15pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:15pm

I want this to be true, no less than you do...

I watch and participate in a lot of table tennis.  And this is by far the norm.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

He should have been disqualified then escorted out of the building. Yes that is a form of assault and he could be taken to court.

Disqualified?  Sure.  Escorted from the building?  Maybe.  Taken to court?  That's ridiculous.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 8:41pm

Disqualified?  Sure.  Escorted from the building?  Maybe.  Taken to court?  That's ridiculous.

Of course he could. If the score keeper wanted to he absolutely could, especially since there were witnesses or if the match was recorded. I agree that would be a bit extreme but under the law he could pursuit legal action.   
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 9:07pm

Of course he could. If the score keeper wanted to he absolutely could, especially since there were witnesses or if the match was recorded. I agree that would be a bit extreme but under the law he could pursuit legal action.   

I don't know the laws in Russia.  But whether possible or not, I still maintain that it would be ridiculous.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 10:51pm

I don't know the laws in Russia.  But whether possible or not, I still maintain that it would be ridiculous.

Jay, I thought the kid could be arrested and charged for assault and battery in the U.S. for sure...if this little punk did it to my son I'd press charges 100%.

I was physically assaulted by a player many years ago as a TD at LATTA.  He started to play his assigned match (again) without taking care of his entry fee for our weekly tournament.  When I told him he's the only repeated offender I've ever had, he came over and kicked me in the shin hard (he is much taller than I am).  I was ready to call the cops but the thing is I knew this guy for for more than ten years; he was cool until for the last few weeks leading to the assault that he was acting quite tense almost all the time.  I decided to "forgive" him as others urged me instead of having him arrested and make a big scene at the club.  Had I press the assault and battery charges against him, I am 100% sure this player will be suspended by the USATT and be known for the rest of his life among table tennis players for this incidence, plus a criminal record.  So this idiot should be forever grateful that he did not go to jail.

If it were to happen to me again while on duty though, I know I will not be so charitable.

Edited by roundrobin - 11/23/2014 at 11:34pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Jay, I thought the kid could be arrested and charged for assault and battery in the U.S. for sure...

It goes state by state in the U.S., but yes, in most states that technically would be assault at least with adults.  It would be a class 3 misdemeanor Simple Assault in Arizona.  I'm not sure if they actually arrest people for such misdemeanors. 

In Arizona I'm not sure what the legal standards are for trivial minor on minor "violence." But if such actions were charged routinely, that would mean that there could be an arrest in just about every schoolyard in the country on most days. In most states, simply threatening to "kick your @ass" is assault with adults.  Poking someone in the chest can be assault. Spitting on someone is assault, and, of course, pushing someone is assault if the intent is to harm, provoke or insult. We could also find many instance of theft and robbery in our schools and with our children if we applied the strict letter of the law.  But with minors, we generally try to deal with these kinds of things outside the courts unless there is something particularly extreme in the circumstances. 

Given what is shown on the video, I strongly believe that involving the police and courts in such a situation would be ridiculous. Correcting that kind of behavior is what parents, coaches and other adults are supposed to be doing. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic