Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic balls debacle (to all TDs out there)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

NL,

ok let's start from scratch.  why are Butterfly products  more expensive than other comparable ones?  some will list the quality differences but I don't think anyone could fully justify the huge differences.  at the end each brand will charge whatever they can command.

so when I suggested to compare plastic to cell balls of the same brand only, to see which kind is more expensive, it is just that, in order to remove the unjustifiable elements like brand cache.  The discussion is to reach a conclusion on whether the plastic or cell ball is being charged a higher price.  I think only  comparing balls of the same brand will give you a fair conclusion.  if you can't agree with that then the discussion ends

My approach is entirely pragmatic.  I first only look at balls that provide some threshold quality level.  I then look at the net cost of using the ball.  And I might consider some other factors if they  seem particularly relevant. Rough estimates are sufficient.

Example 1:  I started using Gambler 3* because I felt that they met the minimum quality threshold.  Some people disagreed, but when I removed the label, few could tell the difference.  They lasted well and the price was very low.   But when I switched to full time hardbat, I noticed that my breakage rate went way up.  So the net cost was no longer that low.  Further, it was disruptive to match play.  That led me to ...

Example 2: I found DHS 3* balls available in large lots from a California Badminton/TT online store.  My per/ball prices dropped below $1 and durability returned to where it was previously.  I found myself sometimes retiring balls due to shininess rather than breakage.  My net cost was lower than when playing hardbat with the Gamblers, but higher than the Gamblers with sponge.

So that's the general method I've been using to evaluate new 40+ balls.  My direct experience so far has been the first Palio balls, Nittaku SHA, and NP 40+ balls.  The Palio balls didn't meet the quality threshold.  The Nittaku's might barely meet that - if only because tournaments I intend to play in will use them.  Right now, the NP 40+ balls are are actually probably cheaper since they break less frequently.  But they are too expensive for day-to-day play.  If needed, I'll buy enough so I can adjust right before tournaments.  Other than that, I'd prefer not to use them.  I won't purchase SHA balls at all unless I have to for a tournament.

My hope is that XSF balls are good enough.  It seems like their durability and price will make them reasonably economical.  If I don't use them, I'll probably continue to play mostly with DHS 3* as long as they are available.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:02pm

not to be rude, but we are doing two exercises here.  one is to determine whether plastic balls (of the same brand) are higher priced than cell ball (of the same brand).  

You may be the only one doing that "exercise."  Personally, I have no interest in it because ...

a) It is dirt simple and obvious to do this "exercise."  Just go to any online shop and look.
b) It doesn't help me pick a ball for my general use.  I need far more info to make that choice.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

[QUOTE=tom]
My approach is entirely pragmatic.  I first only look at balls that provide some threshold quality level.  I then look at the net cost of using the ball.  And I might consider some other factors if they  seem particularly relevant. Rough estimates are sufficient.

Jay, try Kinson *** - they should be a bit cheaper and imho better than all the other seamed plastic balls I used. Would be interesting to hear your (and your clubmates') opinion on them.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:09pm
Kinson is supposedly a DFish ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I heard they are manufactured at the same location, but for instance JOOLA ball is also manufactured there (or at DHS factory) and they are by far the worst and differ from their counterparts... so that should not be contagious. Big smile

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:31pm

not to be rude, but we are doing two exercises here.  one is to determine whether plastic balls (of the same brand) are higher priced than cell ball (of the same brand).  

You may be the only one doing that "exercise."  Personally, I have no interest in it because ...

a) It is dirt simple and obvious to do this "exercise."  Just go to any online shop and look.
b) It doesn't help me pick a ball for my general use.  I need far more info to make that choice.

Here is how I figured out my choice of which plastic ball for general use.  I bought several kinds and tried them for awhile.  Sounds like your are well on your way.  Just a few more to try. 

Some guys like Next Level are in a bit of a bind because they are forced to use terrible Chinese seamed balls because many tournaments are using them -- total crap  like Joola 40+ and Nittaku SHA -- even though there are two better alternatives.  THAT is what we need to crush (and I am going to try to convinced people at my club to stop doing that at our future tournaments).  And not just here, but everywhere.  It is not plastic balls that ruin the sport, it is bad balls that do it.  They are not entirely synonymous.  Not quite.  Two of the four active factories currently make a ball we can live with.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I heard they are manufactured at the same location, but for instance JOOLA ball is also manufactured there (or at DHS factory) and they are by far the worst and differ from their counterparts... so that should not be contagious. Big smile

To me, all balls from one factory have been equally crappy, though DHD clones are my only clones.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Remember, the ITTF President said way back then that national associations and amature associations can play with whatever the heck they wanna play with under zero obligation to use what ITTF has sanctioned... 

One step further is that ITTF only mandated the plastic ball for international events.  In the U.S. we have  about 50 men currently in the top 1000 ranking and 9 women, a very small group of players that need to be training with plastic balls.  This group of U.S. players can be called elite and have earned that right. The rush to get every tom dick and harry TT club player to use plastic balls is a big mistake at this stage of the balls development and may set back the sport significantly in this country.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 12:14am

I was very disheartened when I saw that some of the best tournaments in the country decided to switch to plastic plastic balls for their tournaments. Among them - NA Teams, Westchester Open (and probably many others).

Those are great tournaments but I am sure everyone knows the reasons behind my feelings 

a) cost of the new balls – of course, in the case of tournaments, the balls
are provided by the organizers;but there is hidden cost for the participants who naturally have to get at
least some practice with the plastic balls if they want to perform well at the “plastic” tournaments. My
calculations based on what I see from our club play in the last two months, show that the cost of
the new balls is about6 times higher (!!) – taking into account their pricing and their horrible
lifespan.

b) the fact that the plastic balls are so short-lived doesn’t mean just the
budget problem. It means

that the balls are poorly made, that the material is not uniformly
distributed along the spherical surface (and we all know how precise the TT balls have to be in order for them to be
playable). This leads to bad, inconsistent bounce.

Notice that I am not talking about their slower speed or spin (or sound) –
that is something we can get used to;  after all that would be similar to the changes that we all had to make
in 2000 when the entire world switched to 40 mm balls. No, I am talking about quality and pricing – and
both are horrible at the moment. Even the better plastic balls – such as Andro, XuShaoFa, Kinson – are
noticeably inferior to the average, 1 dollar apiece celluloid balls. I am not even talking about NIttaku
Premium or TSP 3-star ($1.5-1.8 each for celluloid; in plastic they will probably be priced at $3-3.50).

If it were up to me, I would wait as many years as necessary until
manufacturers finally came up with plastic balls which are virtually indistinguishable from current celluloid
balls in quality of the bounce, quality of production and lifespan. It should not be our problem that some
bureaucrats decided that celluloid is in danger of being banned all over the world, then realized it
was not true, but since they couldn’t admit they screwed up they went ahead anyway, especially after
manufacturers realized all the possible financial ramifications.

But as it stands now, ITTF has no intention of doing that, which only
encourages people to come up with conspiracy theories and wild guesses about corruption and greed. After all,
if an average club player (2-3 times a week practice) will have to spend $250-400 a year instead of
$30-50 just for the balls, what is going to happen?

Nothing good – mainly, a whole lot of players WILL NOT use plastic balls in
their club matches. What that will mean, is that less  players (on average) will take part in
“plastic” tournaments, including our best high-level competitions. And that is not good for our
sport. Not good at all.

Even if in few years plastic balls will have become much better and
cheaper, we will still lose many

players, and the tournaments on average will attract even less
participants.

So my plea is – for all the TDs out there, please think hard and think
smart. I beg you, do not switch to plastic balls until you are 100% satisfied with their quality and their
pricing. Granted, this might take a few years, but that should not be our concern. Please reject the bad choice
that ITTF (and alas, USATT as well) are posing before us.

We should tell them (with our words, and with our actions) that they are
wrong, that they are hurting the sport, and their  reasons are not only invalid but they are (or at least, seem to
be) highly suspect. 

Thanks everybody for your attention – I know this was a lot of words Smile. I just felt I really needed to pour it all out. Who knows, maybe someone will listen...

+1

Hobby players should not be forced to absorb the cost of R & D and lessen their leisure time enjoyment of the sport !

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 1:52am
@LL, the new ball has increased my "leisure time enjoyment of the sport." I enjoy trying new things. I feel the new ball is an upgrade for our sport. It's like getting a new iphone.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 2:13am
I take solace in my perception that whenever I can return to Korea and enjoy daily TT again, no matter what ball is used for a tourney, our entire club will STILL get together after each tourney at a local restaurant for rip-roaring delicious feast and 4 after-after parties and photobomb each other's FB pics.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 9:00am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

+1

Hobby players should not be forced to absorb the cost of R & D and lessen their leisure time enjoyment of the sport !

They aren't.  Use whatever ball you want.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 10:22am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

One step further is that ITTF only mandated the plastic ball for international events.  In the U.S. we have  about 50 men currently in the top 1000 ranking and 9 women, a very small group of players that need to be training with plastic balls.  This group of U.S. players can be called elite and have earned that right. The rush to get every tom dick and harry TT club player to use plastic balls is a big mistake at this stage of the balls development and may set back the sport significantly in this country.

But we know that lower level players almost always play "follow the leader."  This is common in many areas.  For instance, the only reason that pro camera bodies are affordable for many working pros is because so many amateurs are willing to buy them - thus providing an economy of scale that reduces the price to something workable for most pros.

I disagree with the USATT's rush to use plastic at the Nationals.  It won't help the elite players substantially since the NP 40+ isn't common at international events.  And it forces the rank and file player into unnecessary cost and inconvenience.  That said, it isn't going to set the sport back significantly in this country.  But even if it did, does it matter?  Reducing a growth rate that is near zero isn't much of a growth rate.  And the apparent areas of growth have been with juniors and full time clubs.  If that's a fair analysis, then those aspiring elites would probably welcome the plastic ball ... since they are emulating the elite.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 12:09pm

But we know that lower level players almost always play "follow the leader."  This is common in many areas.  For instance, the only reason that pro camera bodies are affordable for many working pros is because so many amateurs are willing to buy them - thus providing an economy of scale that reduces the price to something workable for most pros.

I disagree with the USATT's rush to use plastic at the Nationals.  It won't help the elite players substantially since the NP 40+ isn't common at international events.  And it forces the rank and file player into unnecessary cost and inconvenience.  That said, it isn't going to set the sport back significantly in this country.  But even if it did, does it matter?  Reducing a growth rate that is near zero isn't much of a growth rate.  And the apparent areas of growth have been with juniors and full time clubs.  If that's a fair analysis, then those aspiring elites would probably welcome the plastic ball ... since they are emulating the elite.

The USA has few elite international players currently <60 so its safe to say that so called lower level players pay the bills for clubs rent,coaching and tournament fee's.  I doubt that many current TT club members even know the names or follow our international level players beyond the ones that attend the Olympic's so the elite players impact on the number of TT players is not significant in the U.S.  TT beyond the Asian and Indian cultures in the U.S. is tiny and very recreational driven.  Junior TT is popular in  Asian and Indian culture areas in the U.S. that have a strong economic base that can afford to pay for the coaching and club fee's.  The junior programs are dominate by kids that not only come from higher income homes but <16 years of age as the kids enter H.S. the drop out rate is very high. 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 12:10pm
One other view of this.  You may agree or disagree.  As long as USATT have decided to use a plastic ball at nationals, it is best that they use one of the good ones rather than one of the really bad ones.  I consider this a welcome decision.  I want organizations to boycott all really bad plastic balls -- in other words, all Chinese seamed ones -- and reward manufacturers that sell plastic balls with reasonable playing properties -- XSF and NP40+. 

You could argue that they shouldn't use plastic balls of any sort.  I can accept that, but I would prefer that we ultimately move to a single ball standard (even the best plastics are a different from celluloid if only because of the extra 0.4 mm of size) and plastic seems to be the future for better or worse.  That extra size is a feature not a bug.  That is part of what ITTF wanted all along, and they may well determine that even celluloid balls in the future will have to meet the standard that no balls can be less than 40.00 mm, in fact they probably should do that to make things uniform -- either that or allow plastic balls to be 39.7 mm.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 2:28pm

The USA has few elite international players currently <60 so its safe to say that so called lower level players pay the bills for clubs rent,coaching and tournament fee's.  I doubt that many current TT club members even know the names or follow our international level players beyond the ones that attend the Olympic's so the elite players impact on the number of TT players is not significant in the U.S.  TT beyond the Asian and Indian cultures in the U.S. is tiny and very recreational driven.  Junior TT is popular in  Asian and Indian culture areas in the U.S. that have a strong economic base that can afford to pay for the coaching and club fee's.  The junior programs are dominate by kids that not only come from higher income homes but <16 years of age as the kids enter H.S. the drop out rate is very high. 

We've had a steady increase in full time clubs. I infer from that a growth in junior programs and from that a greater interest in elite players. The group that is growing should be of particular interest IMO.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

One other view of this.  You may agree or disagree.  As long as USATT have decided to use a plastic ball at nationals, it is best that they use one of the good ones rather than one of the really bad ones.  I consider this a welcome decision.  I want organizations to boycott all really bad plastic balls -- in other words, all Chinese seamed ones -- and reward manufacturers that sell plastic balls with reasonable playing properties -- XSF and NP40+. 

Absolutely.
Since Nittaku is sponsoring it with their Premium balls, I see this as a positive, as those other piece of s#@! low bouncing balls won't be used.  We should be grateful as pretty much all major tournaments nowadays are using plastic balls.

Edited by roundrobin - 11/22/2014 at 2:53pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 4:59pm
I have decided to take my advocacy a bit further.

In my opinion the XSF ball, and the others made by them (if ITTF-approved), are actually better than celluloid. (This includes some ITTF approved balls from YinHe, Stag, and Nexy). I know it is a bit heretical, but murmurs of this are slowly being heard, and not just from me. Again, I am completely convinced that they are better than celluloid. They are rounder, can now be bought for a very good price indeed, and they are almost impossible to break. They play great, adjustment is very very easy. They meet all of the ITTF standards that will be in place in January 2016 right now.

NP40+ is a decent ball to play with, quite round, nice bounce, feels a lot like celluloid, but fragile and way too expensive. For these reasons they are not as good as XSF or celluloid. Today my partner and I had some NP40+ and some XSF. We actually both agreed to use the XSF, and this after I had spent quite a bit of money getting my very rare and hard to find NP40+ from Iruiru.

All other plastic balls are worthless and I beg tournament directors and league administrators to not use them. If you have tried plastic 40+ balls and hate them, and the only ones you have tried are DHS, TSP, Joola, Andro, Butterfly, Stiga, DF, etc. -- any plastic ball with a seam made in China -- that means you are a normal person with reasonably well-honed skills and can seen and feel the problems. Those balls are terrible.  There may be some truth to the contention that some are marginally less terrible than others, but in fact they are all terrible enough that they should be boycotted.  They are not round, they break like crazy, their bounce is way too low, they do not meet ITTF standards for weight in 2016 and did I mention that they are not round? They should be recycled to make something else.

However, do not assume that all plastic balls are that bad. There are at least two factories that make a decent ball -- Nittaku in Japan and XSF -- and we need to put pressure on tournament and league directors to not use the bad ones.
AJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 6:29pm
So it occurred to me that we could say this whole debacle was caused by a single event, which is the fallout between DHS and some XSF guy/s.

Otherwise, today's XSF seamless balls would have had a DHS label.   It would have been used in all ITTF pro-tour events.   It would have been the most 'official' ball, and filtered down nicely to national, regional and club events.

Instead, XSF might have had the best ball all things considered, but it has no political clout within ITTF.     DHS has the power, but also a crappy ball.

Likely the disagreement between DHS and XSF was about money, someone wanting a bigger piece of the pie than the other side was willing to concede.     Greed, ego, or perhaps simply a bad day at home for some decision maker and we have this.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 7:00pm

Unfortunately one of the best tournaments on the East coast is NA Teams sponsored and organized by JOOLA and they will be (this year and all future years) using JOOLA balls. If it weren't for that I wouldn't have even touched all that crap that I tested for the last two months. And I agree that XSF Seamless is a really good ball.

You could argue that they shouldn't use plastic balls of any sort.  I can accept that, but I would prefer that we ultimately move to a single ball standard (even the best plastics are a different from celluloid if only because of the extra 0.4 mm of size) and plastic seems to be the future for better or worse.  That extra size is a feature not a bug.  That is part of what ITTF wanted all along, and they may well determine that even celluloid balls in the future will have to meet the standard that no balls can be less than 40.00 mm, in fact they probably should do that to make things uniform -- either that or allow plastic balls to be 39.7 mm.

There is one bad thing about plastic that I can see right now. Due to a slightly larger size and the fact that they have less spin - and therefore are blocked and generally handled a little easier - this will result in noticeably longer rallies not just for elite players but for everyone playing at > 1700 level. I feel like that could be a bad thing for veterans. The matches will become longer and more physical, requiring more energy.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 8:19pm

However, do not assume that all plastic balls are that bad. There are at least two factories that make a decent ball -- Nittaku in Japan and XSF -- and we need to put pressure on tournament and league directors to not use the bad ones.

I'll have to receive and play with some XSF balls before I come to my conclusion, but if what you say is true, I think I'll be writing a letter to Nittaku encouraging them the also sell a rebranded XSF ball.  They could call it a Nittaku Premium Seamless 40+ or simply a Nittaku 3* Seamless 40+.  Why?  Well because I'm pretty sure that some Nittaku ball will come to prominence in the U.S. since they sponsor the major USATT events.  Also, Paddle Palace sponsors our tournaments with Nittaku balls, and I'd like to honor their ongoing support of their club by continuing to have them as sponsors.  But I'll have a hard time doing that with the NP 40+ ball unless the price drops dramatically - especially since my experience with them is that they are less durable than the DHS 3* celluloid balls I've been using. And even if the price drops to around $2 a ball, there will be no equivalent to be had for $1.  And I'll find that hard to accept.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by AJay AJay wrote:

So it occurred to me that we could say this whole debacle was caused by a single event, which is the fallout between DHS and some XSF guy/s.

No.  It was caused by ITTF leadership lying to the public and member associations and shoving this change through.  Secondarily, it was caused by membership associations not complaining about being lied to.  The DHS/XSF fallout is tertiary.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 8:22pm
My thought on that (JimT's comment) is that veterans don't necessarily lack endurance or even strength.  They (and I should say WE) lack quickness compared to younger players.  At the end of the day it's a sport.  I have no problem with this and I am in my 50s.  I don't feel in the least bit disadvantaged by it.  In some ways they help me. 

As for Joola, I can't really object about NA Teams since they sponsor the whole thing and they do a lot to try to develop table tennis in the US.  I just wish they had partnered with XSF instead of DHS.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 8:29pm

There is one bad thing about plastic that I can see right now. Due to a slightly larger size and the fact that they have less spin - and therefore are blocked and generally handled a little easier - this will result in noticeably longer rallies not just for elite players but for everyone playing at > 1700 level. I feel like that could be a bad thing for veterans. The matches will become longer and more physical, requiring more energy.

I predict that the ease of defense will be counterbalanced by the ease of attack.  It will be harder and harder to make a good safe serve or safe return at the higher levels.  Second and third ball attacks will be more vicious. The net result could be shorter rallies and a more offense oriented game.

It is possible that hardbat rallies will increase in length.  And if so, many hardbat players may come to prefer the NP 40+ ball for the longer and more classic rallies that it may help produce.  It is a very consistent ball and hardbat players will have a harder time exploiting the easier attack since hardbat cannot generate as much speed and spin as sponge rubber can.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 9:08pm

As for Joola, I can't really object about NA Teams since they sponsor the whole thing and they do a lot to try to develop table tennis in the US.  I just wish they had partnered with XSF instead of DHS.

Why not petition Joola (and other 3rd party labelers) to switch to XSF balls? Especially if there are people here who know Joola representatives. It might not happen immediately, but would still be better than simply complaining here.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 9:11pm

I have decided to take my advocacy a bit further.

In my opinion the XSF ball, and the others made by them (if ITTF-approved), are actually better than celluloid. (This includes some ITTF approved balls from YinHe, Stag, and Nexy). I know it is a bit heretical, but murmurs of this are slowly being heard, and not just from me. Again, I am completely convinced that they are better than celluloid. They are rounder, can now be bought for a very good price indeed, and they are almost impossible to break. They play great, adjustment is very very easy. They meet all of the ITTF standards that will be in place in January 2016 right now.

NP40+ is a decent ball to play with, quite round, nice bounce, feels a lot like celluloid, but fragile and way too expensive. For these reasons they are not as good as XSF or celluloid. Today my partner and I had some NP40+ and some XSF. We actually both agreed to use the XSF, and this after I had spent quite a bit of money getting my very rare and hard to find NP40+ from Iruiru.

All other plastic balls are worthless and I beg tournament directors and league administrators to not use them. If you have tried plastic 40+ balls and hate them, and the only ones you have tried are DHS, TSP, Joola, Andro, Butterfly, Stiga, DF, etc. -- any plastic ball with a seam made in China -- that means you are a normal person with reasonably well-honed skills and can seen and feel the problems. Those balls are terrible.  There may be some truth to the contention that some are marginally less terrible than others, but in fact they are all terrible enough that they should be boycotted.  They are not round, they break like crazy, their bounce is way too low, they do not meet ITTF standards for weight in 2016 and did I mention that they are not round? They should be recycled to make something else.

U expect tournament directors and clubs not to use Chinese seamed balls even though the ITTF international tour uses them and many U.S. clubs now and in the immediate future will be using them daily and there club players might  be expecting to find tournaments that offer the same balls they are use to playing.  I also understand that the coming Olympics will probably use the DHS balls so I find it hard to imagine that our elite international players will not be using and practicing with DHS seamed poly.   I have  not heard any news of the ITTF dropping the use of Chinese seamed balls due to any issue regarding there performance or the balls not  meeting ITTF guide lines nor have I heard any discussion coming from elite international players regarding these balls. 

I think U have an up hill battle but best of luck.....
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 9:25pm
You have to start somewhere.  If there is a groundswell of support we might actually succeed in getting companies like Joola to switch.  I think we ought to be able to use any kind of plastic ball that ITTF approves.  The DHS ball is terrible and nearly everyone who has used it agrees.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 9:55pm

U expect tournament directors and clubs not to use Chinese seamed balls even though the ITTF international tour uses them and many U.S. clubs now and in the immediate future will be using them daily and there club players might  be expecting to find tournaments that offer the same balls they are use to playing.  I also understand that the coming Olympics will probably use the DHS balls so I find it hard to imagine that our elite international players will not be using and practicing with DHS seamed poly.   I have  not heard any news of the ITTF dropping the use of Chinese seamed balls due to any issue regarding there performance or the balls not  meeting ITTF guide lines nor have I heard any discussion coming from elite international players regarding these balls. 

I think U have an up hill battle but best of luck.....
====================================

ITTF has multi-year contract to use the following plastic balls:

Regular events:  DHS 40+ *** plastic balls (with seam).

Cadet & Junior events:  Butterfly 40+*** (plastic with seam). 
skip3119
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 9:56pm

Unfortunately one of the best tournaments on the East coast is NA Teams sponsored and organized by JOOLA and they will be (this year and all future years) using JOOLA balls. If it weren't for that I wouldn't have even touched all that crap that I tested for the last two months. And I agree that XSF Seamless is a really good ball.

Of course longer rallies will impact older players and take a bit out of there playing life. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 10:06pm

Of course longer rallies will impact older players and take a bit out of there playing life. 

But we also have more time to get to each ball.  Personally I think I play better with these balls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic