Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic balls debacle (to all TDs out there)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I disagree that the Nittaku Premium 40+ ( NP 40+) is inconsistent in its play.  While I don't like it, it is plays very consistently.....

Further, many players assumed that "plastic = plastic"  and bought the horrible Nittaku SHA 40+ balls at high prices and high failure rates.  What a waste of money.  We announced a change back to celluloid a few weeks ago.

I haven't had a chance to play with NP40+ - I am told they might be sold to people who registered for Nationals but I have yet to even see one of them. I was told that they are much better than SHA (which. i agree with you are pretty bad, though not as bad as JOOLA Super-P).

But this could be one of the main problems!  Imagine that you are a player who goes to TT tournaments from time to time. In the past you didn't really care that much if TD mandated use of DHS*** or Nittaku Premium or Gambler Platinum*** or DoubleFish*** or Butterfly*** or JOOLA Gold*** etc - because they were all pretty decent balls, but also - WHAT IS EVEN MORE IMPORTANT! - they played more or less the same, and you didn't have a problem training with, say, Butterfly *** and then coming to the tournament and playing with JOOLA Gold.

Now - even if you train with plastic - the difference is so much worse that it makes people wince. It seems that instead of having two or three categories as we used to (3-star, 2-star, training balls) we now have as many as 10 categories (or more)

Celluloid 3-star
Celluloid 2-star
Celluloid 1-star

Plastic seamed 3-star better quality (Andro, Kinson, DF)
Plastic seamed 3-star worse quality (JOOLA, Nittaku SHA, DHS)
Plastic seamless better quality (XSF)
Plastic seamless worse quality (Palio)
Plastic seamed 2-star

etc etc.

So when the players will train with XSF and they will come to the tournament where they have to play with Nittaku SHA - the difference will be as bad as with switching from celluloid to the same crappy plastic.

Regardless of whether you agree with me on which brands are better and which are worse, I am sure you can agree with general statement about diversity (or to use better word, inconsistency) of the field.

And that's really bad.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:15pm
Tom, you make it sound like celluloid balls were not essentially commodities before the plastic ball came out. Luxury cars are not commodities so I don't accept your analogy. The most expensive 3* ball played marginally and debatably better in the 40mm ball era and it didn't have great durability (if we agree it was the Nittaku).

You really should get an XuShaofa Ball and log your own comments. This discussion is now entering Mastermind territory...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Tom, you make it sound like celluloid balls were not essentially commodities before the plastic ball came out. Luxury cars are not commodities so I don't accept your analogy. The most expensive 3* ball played marginally and debatably better in the 40mm ball era and it didn't have great durability (if we agree it was the Nittaku).

You really should get an XuShaofa Ball and log your own comments. This discussion is now entering Mastermind territory...

As I just posted, it would be fine if the entire USA standardized on XSF - but that is not going to happen. TDs and USATT around the country will use 5-6 different types of 3-star plastic (even if generally we agree that XSF is somewhat superior). I am not even talking about JOOLA or Butterfly or Stiga or Gambler sponsored tournaments

And the problem which will arise from that is that the difference between XSF and DHS, or XSF and JOOLA is much worse than the difference between any decent 3-star celluloid balls which are regularly used at advanced-level tournaments around the country.

And that means players will suffer from training with one of them and then playing a tourney with another.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:22pm
As I mentioned in my emails to Will Shortz (owner of Westchester TTC and organizer of a great series of Westchester Open tournaments), I do not see my idea as boycott. I see it as a normal way of doing business, and using absolutely reasonable common sense.

Quote:

If someone came to you a few years ago and said, “why don’t you use Tibhar 1-star ball in your tournaments, I will supply them to you for free?”. Your answer would be “Thank you for your generosity, but they are not good enough”. Or if they suggested you use Stiga *** you would say, I can get better ball (say, Butterfly*** or Nittaku) for basically the same money.

So it’s your decision, guided by market and by quality.

I fail to see why the same approach all of a sudden stopped working with these new crappy balls.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:29pm
JimT, the divergence in balls really has its source in DHS largely and DFish secondarily. Most clubs are tied to an equipment sponsor (or more). DHS makes the balls for all the ITTF pro tours and for that reason, Joola and Nittaku branded its ball. If DHS changed to the XSF ball tomorrow, everyone would follow. It's not quite as complicated as you are making out, even if your point is valid. As I have said many times, what ever the pros use will filter down to the amateur levels and dominate the tournaments as lower levels because of aspiring players.
Cybershape Carbon
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:34pm
The TD's are making the right decision, I wouldn't play a celluloid tournament, because I know plastic is the future. Celluloid tournaments would probably get cancelled, because no one would sign up. 
I don't even watch celluloid matches(asian games), why watch or practice when it's going obsolete? However, for hardbat and sandpaper events(ball breaking events), celluloid or XSF would be best.  
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

So when the players will train with XSF and they will come to the tournament where they have to play with Nittaku SHA - the difference will be as bad as with switching from celluloid to the same crappy plastic.

Regardless of whether you agree with me on which brands are better and which are worse, I am sure you can agree with general statement about diversity (or to use better word, inconsistency) of the field.

And that's really bad.

My main disagreement was over the issue of consistency.  I took that to mean the play of a particular brand and type of ball.  Frankly, I consider 40mm celluloid balls to be moderately inconsistent.  And I believe this is due mostly to the seam.  The NP 40+ ball plays very consistently and that shows up quickly in training rallies where it is easier to keep the ball in play longer.  

My second area of disagreement was over why the balls break. Changing materials and the wide variety of different materials used in the new balls, while maintaining the same ball weight with a larger ball and then adding the option of seams or no seams gives us lots of possible causes for breakage.  Consistency and durability are not necessarily correlated IMO.

But yes, I agree that the variety of differences in playing characteristics is now a problem when it wasn't before.  It isn't exactly a disaster, but it is a real problem.  

With celluloid, I pretty much felt that the people who would make an issue over one brand of 3* vs. another were largely picking nits.  Yes, there were/are differences.  But the differences were small enough that it wasn't a big deal to me.  I never bought Nittaku 3* balls to prepare for our Nittaku 3* tournaments.  I was happy training with DHS 3* balls and pretty much happy to play with any ITTF or USATT approved 3* ball.  It was only on the day of the tournament that I'd make sure I only used the tournament ball.

I agree that today it's a much bigger deal with the plastic balls and their much wider range of playing characteristics.  And that's part of the folly of the USATT specifying the NP 40+ ball for the Nationals.  The original impetus was to assist the elite players as they prep for international events.  But given that different events are using different balls and that these balls all play differently, they could have just as easily used celluloid balls since the NP 40+ won't prepare the players for their next international level event.  Use the older celluloid and avoid inconveniencing the 90+% majority of Nationals participants who won't be competing internationally.  

In the end, the choice to use the NP 40+ serves almost no players well. It's bad enough that the USATT once again is throwing the rank and file player under the bus (my costs for playing have increased by about $60 due to the need to purchase and start playing with NP 40+ balls).  But doing so isn't even going to help the elite players in any meaningful way with upcoming events.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:35pm

NL, what I am saying is the most expensive Nittaku cell ball is way more expensive than the top ball of  DHS or DF, so whatever brand you prefer you would have to compare the top cell ball  of the same brand  to the top plastic ball of the same brand to see which one has a higher price and not top DHS plastic to top Nittaku cell.  BTW I have played with most brands of plastic including XSF.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:46pm

JimT, the divergence in balls really has its source in DHS largely and DFish secondarily. Most clubs are tied to an equipment sponsor (or more). DHS makes the balls for all the ITTF pro tours and for that reason, Joola and Nittaku branded its ball. If DHS changed to the XSF ball tomorrow, everyone would follow. It's not quite as complicated as you are making out, even if your point is valid. As I have said many times, what ever the pros use will filter down to the amateur levels and dominate the tournaments as lower levels because of aspiring players.

But from the standpoint of playing characteristics, it doesn't make sense to lump tournaments into the two categories of plastic or celluloid.  Given playing characteristics, there are currently at least five categories.

1) Celluloid
2) DHS 40+ seamed
3) DoubleFish 40+ seamed
4) XSF seamless
5) Nittaku Premium 40+ seamed 

I agree that players will quickly adopt what the pros are playing.  The caveat to that is that I've watched players at my club become quite disgusted with new Nittaku SHA balls that break while doing warm-up drills, or as one person experienced, after simply taking the ball out of the box and dropping it on the floor.  So adopting the ITTF standard is going to be increase player ball costs by three to four times.  It will be interesting to see how tolerant amateur players are of that. If XSF balls continue to demonstrate superiority in durability and playing characteristics, will the pressure switch in the other direction?

IMO, Nittaku should be embarrassed to be selling Nittaku SHA balls for $2 each retail given their (lack of) durability.  They should be 75 cent balls at best.  To Nittaku's credit, they have produced a more durable "premium" ball.

Edited by wturber - 11/21/2014 at 2:47pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:54pm
I think it is misguided to try to get TDs to stop using plastic.  Like it or not, that is the future.

We need to pressure them to not use crappy plastic balls, irrespective of what ITTF has done.

For me and for many other players, that means XSF (if you are buying the balls yourselves) or NP40+ (if they are being provided for free).  All the CHinese seamed balls are an embarrassment, especially Nittaku SHA since they should know better.

Since most of us are not playing ITTF pro tour, what ITTF wants maybe is not that important.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:02pm

Since the standard cost of living in China is lower than Europe or the USA, how are the Chinese dealing with the new cost of the plastic ball ?
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:05pm
Our club switched to Nittaku SHA for "League Play".
I bought some and practiced with the ball in Non-League matches.

Two balls were broken in two friendly match sessions.

It will be very expensive to play Nittaku SHA balls.
skip3119
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Since the standard cost of living in China is lower than Europe or the USA, how are the Chinese dealing with the new cost of the plastic ball ?

My bet is that they are playing with celluloid ... as God intended the game to be played.  ;^)
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Our club switched to Nittaku SHA for "League Play".
I bought some and practiced with the ball in Non-League matches.

Two balls were broken in two friendly match sessions.

It will be very expensive to play Nittaku SHA balls.

And worse with NP40+, but at least those bounce.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:27pm

My bet is that they are playing with celluloid ... as God intended the game to be played.  ;^)

Well the national and provincial teams etc will be playing with the plastic DHS probably, but I do not think the players will be paying for them.

BTW I really like JimT's argument for standardization but frankly not for the NP 40+ standard. I think the XSF balls are fine to play with, but you know that Joola sponsored tournaments will play Joola plastic and USATT will play NP 40+. These are set in stone due to money-the money of "the man" and not the money of the little man.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:35pm
Guys, i am not trying to STOP TDs from using plastic. To say that would be similar to saying "You are trying to undermine TSP brand" to a TD who doesn't want to play tournament with a bad quality TSP training ball or with a great TSP *** ball which is however very pricey.

I am just saying that UNTIL THEY ARE GOOD AND CONSISTENT QUALITY, why would TDs even consider holding tournaments with these balls? It's not like you are really preparing anyone for Nationals by making them play with a DHS 40+ ball... right? Or for that matter, even with XSF.

And I agree that hopefully this is a very temporary issue - in a year or so, under pressure from many places, manufacturers will improve and prices will go down, balls will be more consistent etc.

Until then however it's our job to apply that pressure.

Not just for the long term gain - better balls etc - but for the short-term as well. What I am afraid of is that we will end up losing a lot of middle level players who are uncomfortable with the bad plastic balls. they will - most likely - continue to come and play at the clubs, where they still (thank goodness!) can make their own choice about which ball to use. But they will play less and less plastic tournaments during this transition period, and then even if the balls will become significantly better, we will not get many of them back on board.

That is TD's bread and butter - more participants - and I really don't understand why they would be so easy to switch to plastic before it's anywhere near celluloid in quality and pricing. They will lose some visible percentage of attendance.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Well the national and provincial teams etc will be playing with the plastic DHS probably, but I do not think the players will be paying for them.

BTW I really like JimT's argument for standardization but frankly not for the NP 40+ standard. I think the XSF balls are fine to play with, but you know that Joola sponsored tournaments will play Joola plastic and USATT will play NP 40+. These are set in stone due to money-the money of "the man" and not the money of the little man.

And that's why standardization is not going to happen. Nor do I think it is a good idea anyway. But at least with celluloid you could be more or less sure that if you trained with decent 3-star balls then playing with some other brand's balls at the tournament was not going to affect your game more than by a percentage point.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:46pm
I remember hearing Samsonov talk about the new balls back when it was just whispers. He said that a large percentage of the errors professional players make in the 40mm celluloid era was due to the balls already, and was hopeful that the plastic ball would move past this problem. It sounds like the opposite has happened, so I can't imagine if pros made lots of errors based on balls already what they are going through now. 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I remember hearing Samsonov talk about the new balls back when it was just whispers. He said that a large percentage of the errors professional players make in the 40mm celluloid era was due to the balls already, and was hopeful that the plastic ball would move past this problem. It sounds like the opposite has happened, so I can't imagine if pros made lots of errors based on balls already what they are going through now. 

As I said before, I think the NP 40+ plays consistently than celluloid balls.  At least it did so in my hardbat chopping/hitting drills.  Other accounts say that the XSF balls play more consistently than celluloid.  So certain particular plastic balls will probably reduce errors. Others won't.

Unfortunately, ITTF has partnered with the manufacturer who is supplying one of the worst balls.  Maybe that's why barriers sporting the brand of one of the worst balls got their sign kicked to pieces by a champion player?  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 4:36pm
Remember, the ITTF President said way back then that national associations and amature associations can play with whatever the heck they wanna play with under zero obligation to use what ITTF has sanctioned... 
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 4:43pm

I am just saying that UNTIL THEY ARE GOOD AND CONSISTENT QUALITY, why would TDs even consider holding tournaments with these balls? It's not like you are really preparing anyone for Nationals by making them play with a DHS 40+ ball... right?

That is TD's bread and butter - more participants - and I really don't understand why they would be so easy to switch to plastic before it's anywhere near celluloid in quality and pricing. They will lose some visible percentage of attendance.

At my clubs, the demand is from top-down - first from those fighting for a place in the US team & there on down. In fact, here it is the opposite - the TDs / league managers & club owners have been forced to move to plastic because customers indicated that they have less inclination to participate otherwise. What ball is better to play with is of less importance here than trying to get a leg up on the competition.
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 4:58pm
Just to add a little note, I am helping plan a tournament (2-star USATT), and we are using XSF plastic balls for he tournament. I haven't played with them yet, and it wasn't my decision to use them, but from what I've read these seem to be a good choice.
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 4:59pm
Why would be apply pressure on companies that actually make good polyballs?  XSF and NP40+? It would be bad to punish them, especially XSF which is not that big and probably has a lot staked on this.

The pressure needs to be applied selectively.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

Just to add a little note, I am helping plan a tournament (2-star USATT), and we are using XSF plastic balls for he tournament. I haven't played with them yet, and it wasn't my decision to use them, but from what I've read these seem to be a good choice.

I think you will be happy with them.  Smile
Playing with XSF balls, my training partners and I are making some incredible shots that we don't remember making since the speed glue ban... We could countersmash each other's loopkills repeatedly with great accuracy, and with very little effort.  The ball goes wherever we want it to go when we hit hard...it's spooky.  Also, the ball seems to be suspending in the air for so long after bounce we could do many things at will.  It's just so simple to play our best game with these balls...
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Originally posted by iakovka iakovka wrote:

"I actually disagree that XSF is noticeably inferior to celluloid.  I can imagine another universe where those balls were made before celluloid and people wondered why one should ever use celluloid. "

NL, are you saying the XSF is better, last longer, and cheaper than the quality cell balls?

Comparable to Nittaku celluloid in price (already, and with time I belive they will be cheaper), last longer, more round. About "better" it is rather a subjective parameter b/c am sure my racket is better than yours :))) lol

Iakovka,  are you trying to be funny or just like to argue ?   Paddle Palace: 12 Nittaku Premium, cell:25.95;plastic 33.95.  Where did you see people say plastic balls last longer?  To the contrary I have broken more than 1 plastic ball in a practice session.  I define "better" (balls) as enjoyment of the sport.

Hi tom,
I don't think I ever mentioned or discussed some generic plastic ball properties or price, you are referring to.  I was talking about specific ball from XSF.

Regarding the price -  it will always depend on where you buy. I bought my New, 2nd generation XSF cheaper than your quote of Nittaku Premium but you know, you can always find more expensive place if that's your objective.

Regarding the "enjoyment of the sport" - it is same vague term as "better" for this matter. Some ppl like new ball, some don't. 

Regarding the quality - for me new XSF lasts longer than Nittaku Premium but I do manage to break them, once in a while, can happen sometimes when I hit it with the edge of the racket on short powerful loop. Any slower than that does not break the ball. Played with some defense guy yesterday and he said he plays with one ball for 3 weeks - I can believe him.

Edited by iakovka - 11/21/2014 at 5:41pm

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 5:53pm

"I actually disagree that XSF is noticeably inferior to celluloid.  I can imagine another universe where those balls were made before celluloid and people wondered why one should ever use celluloid. "

NL, are you saying the XSF is better, last longer, and cheaper than the quality cell balls?

Comparable to Nittaku celluloid in price (already, and with time I belive they will be cheaper), last longer, more round. About "better" it is rather a subjective parameter b/c am sure my racket is better than yours :))) lol

Iakovka,  are you trying to be funny or just like to argue ?   Paddle Palace: 12 Nittaku Premium, cell:25.95;plastic 33.95.  Where did you see people say plastic balls last longer?  To the contrary I have broken more than 1 plastic ball in a practice session.  I define "better" (balls) as enjoyment of the sport.

Hi tom,
I don't think I ever mentioned or discussed some generic plastic ball properties or price, you are referring to.  I was talking about specific ball from XSF.

Regarding the price -  it will always depend on where you buy. I bought my New, 2nd generation XSF cheaper than your quote of Nittaku Premium but you know, you can always find more expensive place if that's your objective.

Regarding the "enjoyment of the sport" - it is same vague term as "better" for this matter. Some ppl like new ball, some don't. 

Regarding the quality - for me new XSF lasts longer than Nittaku Premium but I do manage to break them, once in a while, can happen sometimes when I hit it with the edge of the racket on short powerful loop. Any slower than that does not break the ball. Played with some defense guy yesterday and he said he plays with one ball for 3 weeks - I can believe him.

Iakovka,

Please see my discussion with Nextlevel regarding the price.  You should compare XSF Premium plastice to cell and likewise for Nittaku and not XSF Plastic to Nittaku Cell to come to the difference in price.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 6:06pm
Tom,

What about XuShaofa's 3* ITTF approved ball doesn't allow us to compare it to Nittaku Premium?  Your comments have been very unclear and I just gave up discussing it.

Baal points out that this is possibly the most durable ball he has ever used in 40 years of playing.  What about that is not deserving of note?

Table tennis balls were essentially commodities before the plastic revolution - did anyone really care what brand they used to the point that they couldn't switch?

Edited by NextLevel - 11/21/2014 at 6:08pm
Cybershape Carbon
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 6:23pm

Tom,

What about XuShaofa's 3* ITTF approved ball doesn't allow us to compare it to Nittaku Premium?  Your comments have been very unclear and I just gave up discussing it.

Baal points out that this is possibly the most durable ball he has ever used in 40 years of playing.  What about that is not deserving of note?

Table tennis balls were essentially commodities before the plastic revolution - did anyone really care what brand they used to the point that they couldn't switch?

NL,

ok let's start from scratch.  why are Butterfly products  more expensive than other comparable ones?  some will list the quality differences but I don't think anyone could fully justify the huge differences.  at the end each brand will charge whatever they can command.

so when I suggested to compare plastic to cell balls of the same brand only, to see which kind is more expensive, it is just that, in order to remove the unjustifiable elements like brand cache.  The discussion is to reach a conclusion on whether the plastic or cell ball is being charged a higher price.  I think only  comparing balls of the same brand will give you a fair conclusion.  if you can't agree with that then the discussion ends
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 6:26pm

Tom,

NL,

ok let's start from scratch.  why are Butterfly products  more expensive than other comparable ones?  some will list the quality differences but I don't think anyone could fully justify the huge differences.  at the end each brand will charge whatever they can command.

so when I suggested to compare plastic to cell balls of the same brand only, to see which kind is more expensive, it is just that, in order to remove the unjustifiable elements like brand cache.  The discussion is to reach a conclusion on whether the plastic or cell ball is being charged a higher price.  I think only  comparing balls of the same brand will give you a fair conclusion.  if you can't agree with that then the discussion ends

Only if the balls were not essentially commodities!  If they were commodities, then you can look at whether a ball compares to the extremes.  XuShaofa is competitive with 3* ITTF cells at all prices, regardlss of brand or quality.
Cybershape Carbon
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 6:39pm

Tom,

NL,

Only if the balls were not essentially commodities!  If they were commodities, then you can look at whether a ball compares to the extremes.  XuShaofa is competitive with 3* ITTF cells at all prices, regardlss of brand or quality.

NL,

not to be rude, but we are doing two exercises here.  one is to determine whether plastic balls (of the same brand) are higher priced than cell ball (of the same brand).  the other is to compare XSF's plastic ball in terms of quality and price against all cell balls.  the second exercise is much harder to come to a neat conclusion and not the one I am pursuing - there lies the problem - we are not having the same discussion.  Have a good weekend

Edited by tom - 11/21/2014 at 6:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic