Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic balls debacle (to all TDs out there)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

U expect tournament directors and clubs not to use Chinese seamed balls even though the ITTF international tour uses them and many U.S. clubs now and in the immediate future will be using them daily and there club players might  be expecting to find tournaments that offer the same balls they are use to playing.  I also understand that the coming Olympics will probably use the DHS balls so I find it hard to imagine that our elite international players will not be using and practicing with DHS seamed poly.   I have  not heard any news of the ITTF dropping the use of Chinese seamed balls due to any issue regarding there performance or the balls not  meeting ITTF guide lines nor have I heard any discussion coming from elite international players regarding these balls. 

I think U have an up hill battle but best of luck.....
====================================

ITTF has multi-year contract to use the following plastic balls:

Regular events:  DHS 40+ *** plastic balls (with seam).

Cadet & Junior events:  Butterfly 40+*** (plastic with seam). 

However their balls are very far from meeting the ITTF specs that come into force in January 2016.  There is absolutely no question about this as to weight, but it will probably also be true for roundness and bounce.

In any case I would like to think that we would not be forced to go along with their bad choice here, especially when there are excellent alternatives among plastic balls.
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 10:25pm
Rallies are longer bit slower.   The older players at sub 2200 levels I have seen love these balls if they are defensive players.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

U expect tournament directors and clubs not to use Chinese seamed balls even though the ITTF international tour uses them and many U.S. clubs now and in the immediate future will be using them daily and there club players might  be expecting to find tournaments that offer the same balls they are use to playing.  I also understand that the coming Olympics will probably use the DHS balls so I find it hard to imagine that our elite international players will not be using and practicing with DHS seamed poly.   I have  not heard any news of the ITTF dropping the use of Chinese seamed balls due to any issue regarding there performance or the balls not  meeting ITTF guide lines nor have I heard any discussion coming from elite international players regarding these balls. 

I think U have an up hill battle but best of luck.....
====================================

ITTF has multi-year contract to use the following plastic balls:

Regular events:  DHS 40+ *** plastic balls (with seam).

Cadet & Junior events:  Butterfly 40+*** (plastic with seam). 

The solution is actually very simple:  All it takes is for DHS to re-brand some XSF balls and call them the "DHS 40+ *** Olympic Gold" balls and Butterfly to do the same.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:13am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

The solution is actually very simple:  All it takes is for DHS to re-brand some XSF balls and call them the "DHS 40+ *** Olympic Gold" balls and Butterfly to do the same.

Yep.  And if people are concerned about saving face, they just have to make up some lies to tell and all will be well.

The nearly universal observation here is that the NP 40+ balls play shorter.  They are easier to block , easier to play a drop shot with, and harder to hit by an opponent.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:18am
There are some things that are universal about 40+ balls.  The most significant is that they are about 0.4 mm larger.  That reduces speed and spin some and accounts for some of the stuff in Jay's comments (some lack of penetration, easy feel in short game, etc.).  It is very easy to deal with all that, and in fact it can be a lot of fun, if the ball bounces the right height.  Only NP40+ and XSF are more or less like celluloid with respect to bounce height.  Now for the balls that have messed up bounce height, you have to deal with other stuff too.    

So I very much look forward to buying new the new DHS Platinum Ultra Super Pro Executive Seamless *** Balls.  Please let it happen.  Everyone wins.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:51pm

Top ranked players of Moscow in action.
The whole event played with DHS 40+ plastic.
this boy is red is using DiTeck pimples on BH, and he well satisfied with the plastic. Such is reality here in Russia.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 1:32pm
Thanks igorponger, I enjoyed watching that match.
Shifter
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 8:53am
I just finished playing the NA Teams. It is the last event I will ever play with the Joola/DHS ball on its current incarnation. I will now play and practice exclusively with the Premium and XSF with minor allowances for DFish since two nearby tournaments use it. But no more DHS clones until further notice.

I spoke to Will Shortz about it and he said it is the ball that the ITF tournaments use.  And that obviously makes it hard to replace with any other ball at his event.  So the change has to come from DHS.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/01/2014 at 8:55am
Cybershape Carbon
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 9:36am
I adapted to the conditions of the ball and had a successful NA teams. I'm surprised you had difficulty this past weekend because I felt that when you beat me in Westchester, you adapted well to the new ball and I foolishly played the same game I had developed from over 25 years of tournament competition. 

One thing I discovered was that my backhand spin-the-ball-off-the-bounce technique, one of my core tactics, doesn't work with the Joola ball. That's why I used electroshock therapy for two weeks prior to the teams. Every time I attempted an unsuccessful bh closed racket angle topspin in a practice match, I zapped myself with a few thousand volts. I was able to refrain from making these errors as well as others. 

Even with my successful adjustments, I still don't enjoy playing with the Joola ball.     
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I just finished playing the NA Teams. It is the last event I will ever play with the Joola/DHS ball on its current incarnation. I will now play and practice exclusively with the Premium and XSF with minor allowances for DFish since two nearby tournaments use it. But no more DHS clones until further notice.

I spoke to Will Shortz about it and he said it is the ball that the ITF tournaments use.  And that obviously makes it hard to replace with any other ball at his event.  So the change has to come from DHS.

I hope we get a lot of discussion about how the joola ball played at teams from many sources. Maybe in a new thread.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 12:10pm
The Joola ball is playable. It just doesn't play as well as the XSF or the Nittaku Premium. And it bounces lower than both and makes the game more challenging in several respects.

No one who played the teams and who was serious enough to practice with the balls is going to complain about them now. We all made our adjustments, played our matches and can move on (or continue with the ball if we so please). People who didn't will complain but will get no sympathy unless they were living under a rock for the last three months.

But I am now going to play a tournament that uses a better ball. I will practice with similar balls. And I will refuse to use the DHS ball and clones until I get word that things have improved.

If all you know is the Joola ball, you will mostly complain about durability but ultimately accept the ball. It's when you have used other balls that you start to see how much better the world could be...

Edited by NextLevel - 12/01/2014 at 12:12pm
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I adapted to the conditions of the ball and had a successful NA teams. <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I'm surprised you had difficulty this past weekend because </span>I felt that when you beat me in Westchester, you adapted well to the new ball and I foolishly played the same game I had developed from over 25 years of tournament competition. 

One thing I discovered was that my backhand spin-the-ball-off-the-bounce technique, one of my core tactics, doesn't work with the Joola ball. That's why I used electroshock therapy for two weeks prior to the teams. Every time I attempted an unsuccessful bh closed racket angle topspin in a practice match, I zapped myself with a few thousand volts. I was able to refrain from making these errors as well as others. 

Even with my successful adjustments, I still don't enjoy playing with the Joola ball.     

Maybe my decision to move away from a slow paddle and to use offensive equipment was wrong... But seriously, I played well during the tournament. Videotape and perspective let's me see that. My last match helped me see that I haven't tapped the potential of my game yet and that I am not working as hard as I thought I was. Losing means I was outplayed, not that I played badly. But the faster equipment hurt my off the bounce game significantly.

The way I played at Westchester with the slower defensive blade is not what I want to do long term. But if I am forced to use the Joola ball again, I might go that route. I wanted to use the same equipment for Teams and Nationals and I knew I would be using faster equipment for Nationals.

The other big lesson I learned from this tournament was that I need faster wrists. That will hopefully be the biggest difference people see when they next play me.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/01/2014 at 12:37pm
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 12:54pm

The Joola ball is playable. It just doesn't play as well as the XSF or the Nittaku Premium. And it bounces lower than both and makes the game more challenging in several respects.

No one who played the teams and who was serious enough to practice with the balls is going to complain about them now. We all made our adjustments, played our matches and can move on (or continue with the ball if we so please). People who didn't will complain but will get no sympathy unless they were living under a rock for the last three months.

But I am now going to play a tournament that uses a better ball. I will practice with similar balls. And I will refuse to use the DHS ball and clones until I get word that things have improved.

If all you know is the Joola ball, you will mostly complain about durability but ultimately accept the ball. It's when you have used other balls that you start to see how much better the world could be...

Thumbs Up
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 2:02pm

Thank you.

I have only played with XSF balls (and the yinhe which is the same) and the Nitt. Premium 40+(NP40+ for short). I enjoy each ball but even those two play very differently. This past week at our club I warmed up and played a match with the XSF balls. Then I went to play another player who is going to US nationals and thus wants to use the NP40+. I did not take a significant warm up and we started our match. My first two serves promptly dumped into the net. I have to consciously think to contact my short serves a lot more solidly or harder to get a short serve over the net. Even long serves are difficult, i do not seem to get the depth I want. I used to make fun of players who insisted on the celluloid nittaku premium over double fish or other options, but the differences in the non-celluloid balls is much more dramatic.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 2:36pm
Yes, I agree with vanjr that XSF and NP40+ are certainly not identical but adjusting from one to the other is very easy, for me takes 5-10 minutes (although he is right, we never had to adjust at all with celluloid).  Even strictly on playing characteristics, I usually prefer XSF over even NP40+.  The Chinese seamed balls are another matter altogether.  Total garbage.  We need to get people to stop ringing their hands and saying "oh, we have to use them because......"

No.  We don't have to accept these terrible Joola/DHS balls when there are other choices, even among plastic 40+.  I am perfectly happy to play with either NP40+ or XSF (and the other balls they make).  Of course, XSF is half the price and lasts four times as long.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 2:55pm
I agree with you but wouldn't say *very* differently. The Nittaku ball feels or is heavier. However I rallies I feel they are similar in rallies.    
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 3:14pm
Actually the Nittaku is lighter (I have weighted both very carefully) but it feels somehow more solid.  You are right though.  I shouldn't have said "very differently".  I can tell the difference.  But like I said, no big deal.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 3:21pm
I was responding to vanjr, Baal. You never wrote "very differently". And I did remember you said the Nittaku was lighter, but felt more solid. I just press the balls to test them these days. So when DHS catches up, the press test will make it apparent. But of course, not on my dime.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 3:25pm
Ha ha.  You are right!  This is what happens when I do two things at once.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 4:20pm
My general impression from playing with Joola ball at NA Teams was mixed.

First of all - it made a hell of a difference to play on brand new tables on hard cement floor (covered by plastic or not). No comparison to playing with it on old, pockmarked tables at hardwood floor in Boston TTC. I thought I would be extremely frustrated with playing that crappy ball in DC, but I was not. It was playable.

Second, feeling wise, it was not great. It still bounced a tad slower, had strange funny wiggle on sidespinny shots etc.

Third, the build quality and longevity of the JOOLA balls is a joke. There was a match where me and my opponent used 4 (four!) balls to play the match, and three of them were brand new, just out of the box. Ridiculous. All in all, I had about 11 balls break on me during the competition.

Once (during that 4-ball match) we counterlooped, my opponent sent the ball a bit long and when it landed on the floor behind me, it literally disintegrated. Not just a crack but full-blown splitting in two or three pieces. He argued that the point had to be replayed, I argued that the ball was not broken when he hit it (no sound, proper flight etc) so the point should count. I won the point but lost the match. Cry

Of course, I am never going to waste even one dollar of my money on balls like these. I might still play with them if forced to, but never going to buy them.

Also - need to talk to our club owner about buying new tables. Our Donic Perssons are more than 12 years old I think.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 4:32pm
Got basically the same report from my coach, Matt Winkler.  Balls broke very easily and many were wobbly.  He also noted that some balls started out good and became wobbly as the match progressed. He reported some balls literally splitting in two.  His short description was "horrible."  He equated them to the Nittaku SHA balls.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Got basically the same report from my coach, Matt Winkler.  Balls broke very easily and many were wobbly.  He also noted that some balls started out good and became wobbly as the match progressed. He reported some balls literally splitting in two.  His short description was "horrible."  He equated them to the Nittaku SHA balls.

DHS makes many clones, including the Nittaku SHA balls and the Joola balls - they are all the same ball.  We should realize there are only 4 balls (XSF, Nittaku Prem, DHS and DFish) - every ball is a clone of one of these. 

The other thing that you pointed out, which is underestimated, is how wobbly these balls became as they are bashed without breaking.  They have soft and easily compressed exteriors, so they distort easily and start playing differently in the middle of the match.  I had a couple of weird bounces late in a couple of my matches that I just had to accept.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/01/2014 at 4:41pm
Cybershape Carbon
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 4:45pm

The other thing that you pointed out, which is underestimated, is how wobbly these balls became as they are bashed without breaking.  They have soft and easily compressed exteriors, so they distort easily and start playing differently in the middle of the match.  I had a couple of weird bounces late in a couple of my matches that I just had to accept.

This is - as you said - most likely the unfortunate consequence of how they are manufactured. So not only they break easily but they also become less playable while they are still intact. However we look at it, this is not even a sorry excuse for a TT ball, it's a unadulterated disaster.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 4:51pm

deleted because I just wrote the same things as NL -- there are only four balls and only two of them are any good.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 5:08pm

DHS makes many clones, including the Nittaku SHA balls and the Joola balls - they are all the same ball.  We should realize there are only 4 balls (XSF, Nittaku Prem, DHS and DFish) - every ball is a clone of one of these. 

While there are clearly only four current manufacturers, it has been the clone aspect that I've been reserving judgement on.  I've been leaving open the question of whether different end brands might spec different plastic formulations.  But from a performance/experience standpoint, it surely looks like DHS sourced balls are clones.  Did anyone smell a broken Joola ball to see if it too smells of camphor? 

Edited by wturber - 12/01/2014 at 5:10pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 5:25pm

While there are clearly only four current manufacturers, it has been the clone aspect that I've been reserving judgement on.  I've been leaving open the question of whether different end brands might spec different plastic formulations.  But from a performance/experience standpoint, it surely looks like DHS sourced balls are clones.  Did anyone smell a broken Joola ball to see if it too smells of camphor? 

Didn't think to do it... As soon as I break one - I still have one or two left - I will try to remember and "smell the roses".

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Didn't think to do it... As soon as I break one - I still have one or two left - I will try to remember and "smell the roses".

On Wednesday I had a player saying he was smelling camphor from an SHA ball that wasn't even broken.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 3:06am
I have been using only NP+ for the past week but a nice fellow on Saturday night wanted me to use a new DHS polyball he just bought online...I said 'OK" and we did a few warmups.  Wow!!! Could it be possible that DHS have finally improved their cr@ppy balls?  This ball felt the same as NP40+, I told myself (and very pleasantly surprised).  Then we started the round robin tournament match...and the ugly truth came out.  Cr@p bounces started to appear immediately on side-spin loaded serves and returns.  Sometimes too low, sometimes a lot higher than expected (knowing that it should bounce lower than the NP40+).  Loaded spin pushes didn't bounce up sufficiently most of the time, nor did super-spinny opening loops.  These balls became incredibly difficult to open or counter over the table with a quick wrist motion.  It was almost like the ball wobbled when struck, with no directional control whatsoever on such low-bounce shots.  I tried a few quick wrist flips and fast counters against such weird balls and none went in, whereas I did them with NP40+ without any problem for an entire week.  So I started to play very safe and focused on soft placement and won my match easily.  Did I have fun even though I advanced to the next round?  Not at all. 
As I said it before, these cr@ppy balls should be taken out of the market completely.

Edited by roundrobin - 12/02/2014 at 3:07am
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:05am
Roundrobin,

If someone talks up a ball to you, just squeeze it and see how it deforms.  If it deforms easily with finger pressure, it is not a good ball.  Squeeze a DHS/DFish ball and compare it to squeezing and NP40+ or Cell o XSF ball and the difference is clear.  Start with that before even taking the ball to the table.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 9:53am
RR, should have just done a quick static bounce test.  They still suck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic