Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Rosewood XO - how to glue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
teomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Rosewood XO - how to glue
    Posted: 11/27/2014 at 2:14pm
Hi peeps,

I purchased a Stiga Rosewood XO and for the life of me, I can't get the rubber to glue on it.
I know it's problematic and read a bunch of threads but still no go.

Tried different types of glues including the Vario Clean from Donic...tried to apply several coats and waiting for each one to dry in between etc...

The rubber simply peels right off.

I'm trying to avoid sanding the surface so I am looking to hear any successes with this.
I literally spent hours trying to get it done and I've been gluing rubber for at least 10 years so I'm not a novice :)

Thanks for any advice!

Eitan
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 2:20pm
Instead of sanding you might consider 00 steel wool.  Milder than most sandpaper grits you normally find and yet it can get just enough roughness to help the glue get a hold.  I used it successfully after I sealed a blade with polyurethane and then could not get rubber to stick to it.

Mark
teomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 2:31pm
Thanks Mark, I will try that.

I'm wondering if there are people here that were successful gluing without scraping some of the clear coat.

Eitan
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 3:56pm
I used 2 water based glue with the same result as you. 
Then I tried Revolution 3 and the rubbers stay firmely on the blade. 1 Layer on the blade and 2 on the rubber. Let it dry completely before putting the rubbers on the blade.
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Wyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 5:43pm
I wouldn't sand it. I have been able to get rubbers to stick on the blade by using a few layers of fine zip.  
teomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 6:39pm
Thanks guys. I will try yet again with the Donic glue.
If that isn't working I will try with Finezip and will report back :)

regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 7:38pm
Finezip is like Tear Mender, and Rev3 that peels off as one piece latex. They bond well on some type of wood but not on all. Though I find Paddle Palace glue, also a latex type water base glue to adhere better on most type of wood plies. 

I use it on my Rosewood blade and it bonds well, the other 2 glues doesn't do the job especially Rev 3. Rev 3 now also even seem to be milder now and feels watery, while Paddle Palace glue has more volume and thicker, thus bonds better.

If that still doesn't do the job for you, the best water base glue IMO is Butterfly's Free Chalk.. it's so sticky it would bond so strong even with a very thin layer. I must let you know though it dries quickly, and being so sticky you would really have to be careful when removing your rubber from your blade for it might cost you splintering. 

In my case I only use the Free Chalk if I'm going to stick a rubber that I intend to have it on the blade for long. If occasionally I am EJieng I intend to use the latex glues that are easy to remove as one piece. The Free Chalk doesn't come off as one piece and a bit messy to clean up.

Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
teomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 7:45pm
Thanks regiz!
I am trying with what I have one last time. If this wont work, I guess I will try the paddle palace glue and see.

Eitan
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 8:12pm
i had a stiga rosewood xo sometime ago and had the same problem as what you are having now. tried different glues and none of them worked well. had to send emails to ask experts from tt11. i was told to use donic vario clean water-based glue. one layer on the blade and one layer on the rubber. the key is that you have to wait the layers to almost dry completely (10-15 minutes) before gluing them together.  i followed their instructions and it turned out working perfectly.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
teomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 9:40pm
So I was able to finally glue onto the XO blade. I used 2 coats of AVX water-based glue on both the blade and the rubber, waiting about 30 minutes between coats.

So I guess the magic answer is multiple coats and waiting a LOT before applying the second coat.

Thanks for all of you that chimed in!

Eitan

Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2014 at 2:19pm
I used two layers of Stiga attach glue, no problems here! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic