FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

tips for BH topspin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Here is an attempt to bh loop with a wrist snap v. slight underspin long serves.

My technique is horrible (comments & coaching welcome) but when it lands it's got some spin and too long blocks from people my level are not rare at all; I generally can hit/smash hard whatever comes back when I am given the opportunity to unload one of those.

The snap here is moderate-hard (in my scale; meaning low to moderate for some?).

http://youtu.be/tdSpLqa1qzQ

I don't know if you meant to do it or not but that is a good approximation of ZJK's BH video. ClapClap
The only major thing missing is the left side hip thrust. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 1:57pm
Fatt is being self-deprecating just to protect his ego - IMO, the technique is pretty good, athleticism aside.  The only thing is that I would recommend you try to shorten the stroke in order to have more power built into your muscles for heavier balls and also to improve your timing and versatility.  Also consider whether you can drive the ball more with a more sideways/forward motion.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Fatt is being self-deprecating just to protect his ego - IMO, the technique is pretty good, athleticism aside.  The only thing is that I would recommend you try to shorten the stroke in order to have more power built into your muscles for heavier balls and also to improve your timing and versatility.  Also consider whether you can drive the ball more with a more sideways/forward motion.

NL-
Actually I think the scale of his stroke is pretty close to what ZJK was doing. I think he is not making a more sideways motion because he is not hitting from the BH corner where it would be more natural. He is hitting in the FH half and aiming straight down the middle.  looks like there is no room at the BH corner or he is working on something. 

fatt- 
The way you are employing your left arm is also nice looks a little like ML there. good timing as well. How did you build up to that stroke? Just wondering if you had coaching or you figured it out on your own.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 6:46pm
I can't see fatt's video.
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I can't see fatt's video.

It's been removed. 
Actually it's weird as I have it open in another tab and can still watch it.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 7:06pm
no coaching; a mix of timo boll and oh sang eun back in the days I liked them very much. in the butterfly video timo has so great a stance i wanted the same for myself he was my inspiration; 

oh's effortless bh is partially due to a perfect timing of the wrist snap; it is so natural to him he was a role model for my bh. I think he was the most talented player of his generation and I have a hard time understanding why he did not achieve more; maybe he was lazy and happy not to work as hard as the competition.

From Timo I especially liked to think that after bending over and crouching, coming back to vertical position rotates the upper body backwards (axis of rotation going through the hips), advancing forward the elbow by a foot for the base of bh power (my apologies if I mention that one too many times...again...Wacko...Wink). I feel like the back swing to the left hip is another technique requiring rotation of the hips clockwise but thinking more it can be added while keeping the same bending over/crouching idea; I'll make another movie doing the same with a back swing to the left hip for a flatter elliptical recovery instead of a more circled one like I do (that's what is wrong in my bh I think).

I remember when I figured out that the wrist snap was controllable; it was early on; I was 1100 or so and one day I unloaded an unreal bh along the line; all was timed perfectly by chance; my opponent just saw the ball passing by; he was like 1900 and let me play him a match; he said laughing "WOW...3000!!!"; later I wanted to do it again and again and it worked.

Thank you for your remarks; I got some homework now.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 7:07pm
Glad I saw his nice slow heavy topspin opener before it got CTL-ALT-DEL off the internetz.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 7:44pm

From Timo I especially liked to think that after bending over and crouching, coming back to vertical position rotates the upper body backwards (axis of rotation going through the hips), advancing forward the elbow by a foot for the base of bh power (my apologies if I mention that one too many times...again...Wacko...Wink). I feel like the back swing to the left hip is another technique requiring rotation of the hips clockwise but thinking more it can be added while keeping the same bending over/crouching idea; I'll make another movie doing the same with a back swing to the left hip for a flatter elliptical recovery instead of a more circled one like I do (that's what is wrong in my bh I think).

That is exactly what I am suggesting. And you can't mention that enough.
Here is what I thought of when I saw your shot. Very similar imo. You may have been thinking about TB OSE but it came out more like ZJK and ML imo.

combo of this

and this

I want to understand what you are seeing in the hips with ZJK and ML. Just want understand your terminology. I have my own but I want to try to sync it up with yours.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 8:05pm
It may surprise you, V-Griper, but Timo Boll and ZJK or even Wang Hao are not that different technically.
Cybershape Carbon
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I mean using the wrist (a LOT) to make a heavy slow loop vs underspin is absolutely essential. Trying to NOT use wrist at all to generate the level of heavy slow topspin vs underspin one can make using the wrist... it is fail and one can hurt themselves trying. One simply will not get the timing and bat speed needed for that shot.

I am in the "use wrist" camp, but I am amazed at how often Karakasevic does a BH loop off underspin WITHOUT using his wrist.

For example, see 0:16 and 0:21 in this video

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by reflecx reflecx wrote:

I mean using the wrist (a LOT) to make a heavy slow loop vs underspin is absolutely essential. Trying to NOT use wrist at all to generate the level of heavy slow topspin vs underspin one can make using the wrist... it is fail and one can hurt themselves trying. One simply will not get the timing and bat speed needed for that shot.

I am in the "use wrist" camp, but I am amazed at how often Karakasevic does a BH loop off underspin WITHOUT using his wrist.

For example, see 0:16 and 0:21 in this video

That's not a loop per se (16s).  It's a roll - you do it if you want the paddle angle to handle the ball's spin and you can't trust your timing to brush the ball properly.  That ball was definitely out of his comfort zone.  Karakasevic uses those shots to enable him to stay in the point while moving less.  That shot does not have heavy topspin.

The second (21s) uses the wrist.  Not as fast as usual but definitely does use the wrist and has good topspin.
Cybershape Carbon
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 9:59pm

In those videos ml is clearly having a back swing from the left hip, putting his weight on the left leg; zjk is more like samsonov, having a backswing in between legs v. underspin; which I like to do  

Agree ML likes to drive his BH vs underspin more, whereas ZJK has more emphasis on spin. It's even more clear in the butterfly article on his stroke mechanics.
http://en.butterflymag.com/2014/03/special-zhang-jike-the-key-to-his-success/ 

What I will try to add is zjk's way to add a slight counter clockwise hips rotation in the back swing with the paddle in between the legs but close to the left one; that is a minor adjustment I can probably realize without breaking anything. it will add a bit of speed and spin on top of what I have; thank you for putting the 2 videos side to side that was an eye opener. 

My thoughts exactly. What I would like to draw your attention to, if you were not aware of it already, is the way ZJK drives the left hip in/forward to initiate the stroke. 

Also what grip do you use on your BH/FH? Do you switch?

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 10:16pm
Just to show how similar Boll's technique is to ZJK...

Cybershape Carbon
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 10:51pm
After taking a better look at the video of Boll's backhand, it looks like my own problem with the BH loop versus backspin is that I'm too close to the table and hitting the ball too close to my body.    I'm jammed.  Boll  takes a nice big step backwards after serving, which is something I don't do.

I guess it's always better to be farther from the table and be ready for the deep, fast push, since it's easy to move forward for the slower, shorter half-long ball anyways.

I should have a video of my BH opener up soon in my own thread if anyone wants to look.

Edited by Ringer84 - 12/07/2014 at 11:54pm
Timo Boll Spirit
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 11:25pm

It may surprise you, V-Griper, but Timo Boll and ZJK or even Wang Hao are not that different technically.

I am not quit sure why you persist in thinking that I don't get that.

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 11:38pm

After taking a better look at the video of Boll's backhand, it looks like my own problem with the BH loop versus backspin is that I'm too close to the table and hitting the ball too close to my body.    I'm jammed.  Boll  takes a nice big step backwards after serving, which is something I don't do.

I guess it's always better to be farther from the table and be ready for the deep, fast push, since it's easy to move forward for the slower, shorter half-long ball anyways.

I should have a video of my BH opener up soon in my own thread if anyone wants to look and laugh.

Ringer, youu would be suprised to hear the Kim Jeung Hoon says to stay at the table and imagine your shot is a rythm like a rotating drum a little in front of you and to keep rolling around the drum and hitting BH shots.

Watch what he does from 5:45 to 6:15

Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 11:52pm

I should have a video of my BH opener up soon in my own thread if anyone wants to look and laugh.

Ringer, youu would be suprised to hear the Kim Jeung Hoon says to stay at the table and imagine your shot is a rythm like a rotating drum a little in front of you and to keep rolling around the drum and hitting BH shots.

Watch what he does from 5:45 to 6:15

The link is not working for me, BH-Man. =(
Timo Boll Spirit
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Because his shot is like Timo Boll, and you keep on saying it is more like ZJK/ML.
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 12:40am
Try...

Maybe I left in the "s" or something

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 10:08am

Because his shot is like Timo Boll, and you keep on saying it is more like ZJK/ML.

So your claiming/asserting that I can't perceive or understand the technical similarities between TB, ZJK, and WH because you think that fatt's stroke mechanic has more in common with TB than ZJK?

So what is then preventing me from reflecting your argument back at you? You are just making the same assertion that I did. 

V-Griper-
"It may surprise you, NextLevel, but Timo Boll and ZJK or even Wang Hao are not that different technically."

NexitLevel-
"I am not quit sure why you persist in thinking that I don't get that."

V-Griper-
"Because his shot is like ZJK, and you keep on saying it is more like TB."

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 10:44am

So your claiming/asserting that I can't perceive or understand the technical similarities between TB, ZJK, and WH because you think that fatt's stroke mechanic has more in common with TB than ZJK?

So what is then preventing me from reflecting your argument back at you? You are just making the same assertion that I did. 

V-Griper-
"It may surprise you, NextLevel, but Timo Boll and ZJK or even Wang Hao are not that different technically."

NexitLevel-
"I am not quit sure why you persist in thinking that I don't get that."

V-Griper-
"Because his shot is like ZJK, and you keep on saying it is more like TB."

Because it is *more* like Timo Boll, the most notorious of wrist snappers.  In any case, when you put it like you did, rather than in terms of Chinese sychophancy, the point has outlived its usefulness.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/08/2014 at 10:45am
Cybershape Carbon
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 10:54am

I should have a video of my BH opener up soon in my own thread if anyone wants to look.

You will have to train to watch the flight of the ball and adjust your distance to the ball accordingly...

I love the feeling of lifting the descending ball and the look of the arc of the resulting spin shot...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 5:49pm
Kim Jeung Hoon in it seems ALL his vids where he gives pointers to amatures seems to say "Wait a little longer"... which supports my opinion that he is inferring that it is more important to have the ball be in the effective strike zone (being there and set/ready, even if ball is a little lower than optimal) and hit it in the zone than to try to be in perfect position (and rush/be off balance/fail getting there) to take the ball when it is higher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic