Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy Kanaph goes Beast Mode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Kanaph goes Beast Mode
    Posted: 12/08/2014 at 12:11am

After a long wait, I got my pawz on a Kanaph. I slapped on my standard set of used Aurus and XP 2008 Super Power (BH) and I had a few matches with it in my visiit to NYC with Carl, Opinari, and PP Holic. PPH can tell you this is one crisp blade that can really loop it.

The 85 gram weight will set well with over 90% of the TT world, but BH-man isn't your average normal dude. I demand heavier and even more solid than it already is. I could improve it some by grip tape, but when it is all said and done, there was only one direction left to go...

Open Surgury to create a beast right outta Frankenstein's lab.

I had to open it up and add in some metal rods (Usually nails, but this time I settled on PAPER CLIPS) and fill in the space with glue to keep it tight and solid.

We wouldn't want that sucker to start shaking on impact like a Stiga earthquake or one of those funny Andro Kinetic blades, eh?

Weight advertized for the heavyweight contender is 85 grams, a true middle of the road middle weight.

The official weigh-in confirms the advertized weight.

As usual, I re-appropriated the wife's artist's putty (it is thinner than a normal knife and durable enough) to SLOWLY and carefully get under one of the handles and slowly carefully work it on down until I could get teh handle off safely.

So this is what it looked like after the handle is off. Hollow at neck and only a little taken off the handles.

Normally, I choose nails or anything I got laying around to fill in the space, add weight and strengthen the whole thing once I fill it all in with glue. This time I chose Paper Clips, since I had a bag of them on the work table. 5 grams worth added.

In they went and I filled up with wood glue, (pic of wood glue not shown) but went a little less than 100% full, I was shooting for 10-15 grams increase total.

And when it waz all said and done, the blade weighed in at a respectable sold weight just under 95 grams. That is a modern heavyweight contender. I do not know what to term my last experiment which yeilded a 120 gram battlefield nuclear weapon, but this thing sure shapes up to be what I inteded it to be... a heavier, even more solid feeling version of an already badd-azz blade.

Weight of assembled bat (no pics) is 191 grams. That is the beginning of my personal comfort zone.

The best mod result I ever had doing this was with a Nexy Calix II. Man that thing was sweet, but it met an untimely end vs a table when I was in Korea. Hopefully this one will avoid the fatal perils of combat this time.

I cannot hit this week since no one shows up at the camp rec center these days, but maybe I drive up to Ottawa next weekend to check this out and see some Canadian TT action.

I am confident this nice version will live up to its billing in the title and win me some dinner bets. :)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 1:12am
let me know when you vist ottawa
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 4:20am
Manufactures spend time and effort to hollow out the handles.
You spend more time and effort to add weight and fill them in.

What benefit do they try to achieve?
What benefit do you try to get? ....... You use heavy rubbers and the blade feel too head heavy?
(Just curious. No offense.)
tomkei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 5:55am
i think it's the only one benefit to make it  more balanced. at least when u have head heavy blade. i'll do it for my own blade also i think, or will just use grip on the bottom handle
xiom vega euro,sigma2pro,el-p
xiom vega pro
mizutani zlc,t05fx,r53
mizutani zlc,h8mid,rakza9

My Feedback
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 8:50am
For some players who do not like a head heavy feel, sometimes just adding 5 grams of grip tape is enough to change the balance into a zone that is more comfortable.

For me, 5 grams sin't enought to get it there where I like it. Plus, there are other aspects I will discuss in my next post on WHY BH-Man makes this mod.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 9:13am
Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

What benefit do you try to get? ....... You use heavy rubbers and the blade feel too head heavy?

No offense taken. You have a valid question.

Short answer is that I need to do this to make the weight balance right and to solidify a critical part of the blade to make the impact feel better.

Long answer requires some background information and explaination of my preferences and some of my thoughts on weight and impact.

Many players nowadays crave a lighter blade for their own reasons, often 85 or less grams. Unless you make that sucker out of Balsa wood, it is difficult if not downright impossible to make a finished blade with a solid handle under that weight with all the types of wood modern players demand in the thickness they crave. (usually 6.5+ mm). Players do not seem to care if the manufacturer removes the weight from down low in the blade neck and handle. That creates some comprimises and gives a few pluses. You lose solid impact feel and power on top end. You create a blade with more vibration feedback. A lot of players crave this. I do not need as much of this as the normal player.

In older days, blades were over 90 grams and players played with them just fine, many had solid handles. it seems to be a modern revolution that blades be made with hollow handles and the company calls it some kind of advanced technology.

I agree that weight (technically mass, but let's call it weight) is weight, but not all weight is the same.

Modern blade design that pushes the weight balance forward makes for a different feel and in my opinion, makes the blade harder to accellerate. I have a good strong core and forearms of Popeye, so I could hold Excaliber's Sword, a Viking Bludgeon, or whatever and still make a good speed at impact. that doesn't mean it is any easier though. With weight balance forward, it is harder to start the momentum.

Many will argue that increased weight will make it even harder to do this, but I believe the opposite. Look how and where we hold a bat. the handle is even with the movement plane of the wrist and perhaps below it. Extra weight in that zone will make it easier and also magnify the ability to put the bat into motion.

Think of a really heavy door. By itself, it is darned difficult to open that heavy thing rapidly and control it. Yet, when you add counter-weights to it, opening and closing the thing is a whole heap easier.

There is also the impact dynamics to consider. More weight outside and less down low means the forces take more effect and stress on your wrist, the last link holding everything together. With increased weight down low, there is more to dissapate the impact into the ball and into the handle, that is less stress on the wrist. Recovery is easier too.

This doesn't sound like it will check out, but you gotta hit with such a modified bat over the original for a time to really know for yourself.  

On my trip last week to NYC I won both my matches playing with the 220 gram behemoth Allround Evolution I did this mod to and I lost later to the same player (PP Holic) (Barely) using this blade without the same mod.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 9:22am
Another easier anology is doing siups with a sandbag, say a 15-20 KG sandbag.

When I have Soldiers cross their arms over their chest holding the sandbag firmly in place at chest level and NOBODY bracing the feet, the Soldiers can do anywhere from 10-50 of these situps beofre reaching muscle failure.

When I have the Soldiers place the sandbag on the top of their HEAD and hold in place with their HANDS and stick their elbows out to the side and peform situps... 90% of them cannot even perform one repitition. They are stuck on the ground struggling and wriggling around like they just got hit with mustard gas.

It takes a LOT of core power in the hip flexors and abs to do this situp with 15-20 KG weight on your head. it is much more difficult to do the situp in this fashion explosively. I can do situps very explosively without weight. i can still explode for 20-30 reps with that weight on my chest. With the weight on my head, my explosion is noticeably slower and peters out after 8-12 reps.

This is an extreme example, but I think it gets the message accross about how too much weight out too far from the axis of rotation negatively affects to make good accelleration.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 9:24am
Originally posted by hhca hhca wrote:

let me know when you vist ottawa

It would be a Saturday some day and I do not know what is available for places to play early afternoon.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 12:29pm

Maybe I am reading you wrong, but you don't like the hollow handles either even though all the manufacturers seem to be making them?

If so, I concur wholeheartedly.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 12:47pm
Maybe its simply a result of all the pressure from people requesting light blades, even though the weights are probably a nightmare to control due to natural variation of wood.  I doubt it's an intent to create a wrb effect as much as just an attempt to drop weight.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 5:31pm
NL, you got it, I pretty much do not like hollow handled blades. I always try to improve it with at least grip tape. Some blades, that is enough to make a positive difference for me. My issue with them has always been balance and feel at impact. EVERY time I have made this mod, the blade feels noticeably better without slowing me down, even if it is up to 35 grams heavier.

Cole, I agree with you on how the weight of a blade within a batch can vary. You know as much as anyone what can happen, even with a quality outfit.

I have been in Nexy HQ many times and looked at their stock shelves. I have seen the weight of the same blade with the same handle style vary as much as 10 grams. That does not reflect negatively upon the maker or the distributor, it is as you suggest, a fact of life in blade making (IMO). I suspect all manufacturers experience this.

I am as opposed to how a hollow handle feels and performs as much as the next guy, but I realize that the market will get makers to make 'em the way the market wants 'em (lighter/hollow) or the market accepts 'em the way makers have marketed them. (or a combo of both)

I am not opposed to a little work and experimentation. The $16 that 896 Cole sells (accepts this mod super !!) I have used a LOT when I am in between main blades and have made a lot of bats for Soldiers with these Cole has provided along with used/new rubbers or the same combo on a cheapo Walmart bat I removed the SP, cleaned up and added rubbers.

I cannot understand why so many people think they absolutely MUST spend next to no money on equipment to get a start in this sport.

Come to think of it, the reason is probably Wallmart cheapo kind of low price for crappy SP bats available everywhere and people think this is the norm, until they get into the sport seriously and discover a new world. Many people select inexpensive functional equipment, then later experiment around worse than a mad-cow EJ. :) (like me) (but I always stay true to main blade - when it isn't broken)
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 2:28am
I feel the same way , as i never like blade with weight less than 87g. Sometimes it tend to be head heavy and not comfy as heavier one but with middle balance or just a slight head .

Head heavy gives a better momentum but sometime injure your wrist lolz
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 6:20pm
Balance and impact feel carry a lot more "weight" with me. Wink
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 1:09am
This blogpost by Samson Dubina is making me think of doing a Beast Mode mod to one of my blades - likely this weekend.

http://www.samsondubina.com/node/590

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
takacslaci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takacslaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 4:10am
NO!!! DON'T USE BOILING WATER! WATER IS NOT FRIEND OF TABLE TENNIS BLADES! USE ONLY HOT AIR ON THE HANDLE FOR SOME MINUTES (5-10 DEPENDS ON TEMPERATURE), AND YOU CAN TAKE OFF THE HANDLE WITH A SHARP CUTTER BLADE/RAZOR... (SORRY...HOW IT IS NAMED EXACTLY?), BUT BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE CUTTER!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 6:43am
I have never used anything except a thin artists putty knife or a strong pocket knife to remove handles.

I can see the merit of holding a side of the handle over a strong stream of steam (like over a boiling teapot) and running it back and forth or using one of those heat guns designed to melt glue on cell phones. Never used any of that yet, might try it out next time to see how it goes. Viktor K reports he had success using steam to prep his handle on the mod he did recently. (I different mod to increase thickness of handle to fit his preferences.
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 5:45pm
Wood in water??? O.O Better throw the blade after this...The wood after this has to be for very long time "baked" in high temperature AND AGAIN the blade characteristics will not be the same cause when it was in water the wood vanes have got seperated a lot from their first position.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 11:53am
you could have added some handle tapes/rubbers that would + 10 to 15grams to the weight. 
That comes with better grip and the comfort of detachment at will. 
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 1:04pm

LOLLOL

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 1:04pm
Nicely done BH-Man, now I know how to remove the handle.  Curious, what glue did you use to adhere it back?
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

This blogpost by Samson Dubina is making me think of doing a Beast Mode mod to one of my blades - likely this weekend.

http://www.samsondubina.com/node/590

Interesting, thank  you!  I will probably convert my MJ ZLC (ST) to MJ ZLC (Penhold)!
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 5:58pm
+1 i don't like hollow handles/wrb nonsense :] 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

you could have added some handle tapes/rubbers that would + 10 to 15 grams to the weight. 
That comes with better grip and the comfort of detachment at will. 

My grip tape weight I think 6-8 grams. It makes a difference in a hollow handled blade, but even if I added lead to the tape to make it 20 grams heavier, I still gotta deal with all that empty space and what that does to the impact dynamics. Filling in the empty space with stuff and glue all the way takes care of that. Makes feel at impact much better to me.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Nicely done BH-Man, now I know how to remove the handle.  Curious, what glue did you use to adhere it back?

I use regular wood glue from elmers. I did the same mod on a Calix II in Korea using HIDE GLUE and grip tape, best mod I ever made.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 9:16pm
My two bats together with rubbers would be under 300 grams
 actually untill I came on here 5 years ago I had never known anyone to weigh their bat lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 11:49pm
A little topic detour . . . Tuco has my Kanaph (traded) up for sale cheap. I only used it for an hour.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 8:41am
Tommy the Hijacker... Nah. It just doesn't have a ring to it like Tommy the Terrible or Tommy the Tomahawk...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Tommy the Hijacker... Nah. It just doesn't have a ring to it like Tommy the Terrible or Tommy the Tomahawk...

Tommy Terrific? hehehe
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2015 at 4:38am
Tommy the Terrific Table Tenns Terrorist.

That is 5 Ts and a mouthfull.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Tommy the Terrific Table Tenns Terrorist. That is 5 Ts and a mouthfull.

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic