FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade, the older the better?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade, the older the better?
    Posted: 12/15/2014 at 11:16am
Is it on my imagination that the older the blade the better it plays? 

I remember during Athens 2004 Olympic Games, Waldner and some other players having very old and almost destroyed blades! I've seen them very close in the warmup-area and I was very thoughtful because they insist using so "bad" blades .
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Sponsored Links

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 11:25am
older wood often has better feel and increased vibration, but it also depends on the condition. they played with old blades to retain the same feel they're used to. a lot of the old players did that as mfg kept making new blades with new materials. nowadays we have players complain about water from WBG warping blades or adding moisture. then they want to change to a new blade :P
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 12:55pm
I have many many old blades, somewhere between 100-150.
The performance/playability depends on how the blade has been treated. If they have  been lying in hot environment and not being used, they tend to get hard and have little feel. I find that linseed oil can revive them somewhat. If the blade has never had the rubber changed, then sometimes it can be good, sometimes bad. I have several Stiga Alser blades and all are different.
Having said that, the best preservative (in my non-scientific opinion) seems to be VOC glue. That's why some professionals of old kept the same blade for so long. The constant gluing/re-gluing appears to give each blade a unique feel that the user can never quite reproduce with another blade.

Edited by Tinykin - 12/15/2014 at 9:44pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 2:27pm
I have MPS - old version and MPS new version. The older version feels much better than the new version. A friend - who knows more about equipment than I do, said the older wood is better quality than the new version. He said the old blades used "old" wood. I guess in the old days they used better lumber than now - when quantity and ship dates are more important.

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Madridwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madridwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 3:12pm
I have old butterfly korbel and it is better than new korbel jp :)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Is it on my imagination that the older the blade the better it plays? 

I remember during Athens 2004 Olympic Games, Waldner and some other players having very old and almost destroyed blades! I've seen them very close in the warmup-area and I was very thoughtful because they insist using so "bad" blades .

I very much prefer old Viscarias, but I don't know if it is because they got better as they aged or if because they used to make the differently.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 4:45pm
Are you using WBG? Most pros, when interviewed, state that they replace their blades at least once a year. ZJK plays with a silver tag (as do practically all pros that use Viscarias from what I know).
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 5:00pm
Pros indeed change blades yearly or even quicker than that.

I like to add, I personally feel that the wood used in yester years of are much better quality.
Lots of blades QC has decrease, but price increased - its a business model now.

For newer gen blades, I heard some Chinese pros comment that they prefer fresher blades, as that gives them more feel and more "alive" - as a wood is "alive" etc.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 6:31pm
1. wood drying and wood processing technology has significantly improved
2.  high quality wood from aged tree's was available in greater quantity in the past but still available today but at a steep price.
3.  Using older blades say those made from 1960 to 1990 is fun but finding a exact model as a backup can be difficult, expensive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic