Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Upgraded from appelgren allplay to wsc jo shape
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Upgraded from appelgren allplay to wsc jo shape

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgraded from appelgren allplay to wsc jo shape
    Posted: 12/16/2014 at 2:50am
After two years with the allplay and a variety of rubbers (lately rhyzm 425 2mm on both sides) I treated myself to a wsc jo shape after seeing TT11 sale. I've always thought I'd like to try the wsc but the head heaviness (according to reviews) put me off. The jo shape version is meant to be more balanced. It is.

Have had two sessions with the the wsc jo now with rakza 7 2mm on fh and rakza 7 1.8mm on bh. Wow!!! I'm in love. I have much more effortless power, blocking is so easy, looping more consistent and the short game hasn't suffered. I have had some coaching and played as a junior so have ok technique; the added stability of the carbon layer and the upgrade in speed from the allplay is exactly what I was looking for. Already in the second session in club games I was playing at a higher level than I ever have - with new blade and rubbers! It is intuitively easy to use. I think some of it is the change to the harder rubbers, I found the rhyzm 425 not terribly linear, especially combined with the very flexy allplay.

Blocking is so easy, passive blocks (when you have no idea where the ball is and fling the racket out) now go over the net lol.
Looping is easy. The consistency was the most pleasing aspect for me especially on the bh.
3rd ball attack was really fun, as was brushing short under spin. The rakza really grips the ball, better than the rhyzm (even when new).
Defending, which I really enjoy from far back, was effortless and could be changed into attack more easily.

I am no longer a spring chicken and I think the best aspect of this has been the added power I have. The blade is definitely a class faster than the allplay, but then again the allplay is pretty slow... The wsc is noticeably slower than the clipper which I had a few hits with. I know power is all about technique, but at my age I have never going to have perfect biomechanics, so the extra power from the blade is most welcome and will allow me to play longer at at higher intensity.

League games will be the real barometer. Bring em on ;)

Sponsored Links

arroyo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 3:44am
Funny, I did the same thing a few months ago. Using Barracuda 2.0 on both sides. I have some of the same observations as you.

But I found the balance to be a bit too head heavy for me. So I stuck a plastic straw into the hollow end of the handle followed by a 4g piece of lead temporarily held in place with electrical tape. The straw positions the lead at the very end of the handle. Later, I'll use a dab of hot glue instead of tape. If I want to remove the hot glue, a dab of rubbing alcohol will easily release the hot glue.

With the new balance, my pushes are better without much effect on looping/driving. I'll be sticking with the WSC JO for awhile.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 2:22am
I'm acronym challenged what is WSO JO?
Thanks

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 2:33am
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 5:26am
arroyo, that's a pretty ingenious solution with the straw lol. one of the reasons i went with 1.8 on the backhand was to save weight. from what i've read as well barracuda is quite a heavy rubber? never used it though.

what did you mean with your pushes are better now that it is better balanced?

had 2 more sessions with it now. my blocking game has really improved. i find i am able to stay nearer the table and passive block with more success.

the allplay had this amazing whippy loop which would dip and bite - it is harder to do this with the wsc, but as i don't get the opportunity to hit many of those anyway (and because it doesn't always work ;) i gladly trade those in for the added consistency which the wsc gives. i've played a variety of opponents with the new blade and my level is about the same as before but when it clicks i am playing much better than before - now i need to time to get to the know the setup properly.
arroyo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 4:21pm
Both sheets were 64g on my scale so not quite heavy but not light like a sheet of Vega Europe I have @57g uncut. As another reference, I have an uncut sheet of Rakza 7 Soft and its 63g. All these sheets are 2.0 and close to 170mm x 170mm.

With the balance change, I was able to add more spin to pushes, serves, and the occasional chop. My hitting partner noticed it before I did. I suspect less weight towards the tip allows me to do a quicker rotation of my wrist (as when you wave a greeting to someone).

I also found my Appelgren allowed me to access big loops with a large arc. With a soft/slow rubber like LKT XP, I was able to make loops that always landed on the table even when taking big swipes. The energy I put in seemed to produce less horizontal speed but more into making the arc.

I haven't been able to do that as well with the WSC JO. The energy I put in seems to create a flight path that's flatter. But the balls definitely have a higher horizontal speed and are landing in. I probably need to focus on hitting more towards the tip of the blade and getting some coaching :) My blocks are much more accurate with the WSC JO.

Edited by arroyo - 12/21/2014 at 4:24pm
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2015 at 1:27pm
update after a couple of weeks play. i experience elbow pain when fh looping with the wsc. it weighs 188g vs my 182g for the allplay. i tried lighter rubbers, but still have elbow pain. i don't know whether it is the senso handle or the carbon layers (i have quite a fragile right arm from too much computer work).

i have since put the 1.8 rakza on the bh of the allplay and am able to play with no pain whatsoever. the combination of softer rubber on fh (rhyzm 425) and thinner harder rubber on bh suits my game. the all-wood blade goes very well with the harder rakza.

shame about the wsc as it was a blade i instantly enjoyed.
arroyo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2015 at 2:10pm
I wonder if the head-heavy Senso balance is causing you to subconsciously alter your FH enough to cause the discomfort you're experiencing? Personally I'm much more sensitive to balance than I am weight.

You could run a quick experiment and use the method I mentioned earlier to change the balance to something a bit more neutral like your non-Senso Allplay. All it took was that plastic straw and a tiny 4g bit of lead. To temporarily keep the lead from falling out, just wrap a small piece of electrical tape over the wide end of the handle. Keep the tape away from the narrow end of the handle where you can see the cross-section of layers because the tape could pull out a few splints of wood.

In the US, small pieces of lead can be purchased from hobby shops (used for balancing radio control airplanes) or sporting good stores (used for fishing). If the chunk is large, use a small screwdriver and hammer to split off a piece.

Hope you give it a try, it's quick to do with nothing to lose.
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 10:51am
could be. unfortunately the wsc weighs 92g already, i dont want to go higher. i wish i'd specified a lower weight. i think i'll probably sell and maybe look for a lighter one, which i can then re-balance ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic