Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best glue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best glue?
    Posted: 12/17/2014 at 11:20am
Hey guys..which glue do u think is the best??
Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
Sponsored Links

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 11:34am
Elmer's Rubber cement for cost effectiveness!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

It's not legal right?
If you're not playing in sanctioned tournaments then you can use anything. Although, not sure if there is any bad effects on the new rubbers. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 1:52pm

I 2nd Johnny on that. Thumbs Up
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

It's not legal right?
If you're not playing in sanctioned tournaments then you can use anything. Although, not sure if there is any bad effects on the new rubbers.
It is illegal to be above a certain VOC level so just don't glue up the day before the tournament and give it a couple of days to air out.
VOC glue had been used before WBG for many decades and no, it does not have a bad effect on new rubbers.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 2:01pm
I find Elmer's to be not sticky or quick drying enough, especially if you need the assembled racket quick.  I usually have to put heavy weights on the assembled racket for a few hours or overnight.  I get pretty good results with LKT WBG.  Ready to play in about 20 minutes and somewhat easy to remove when it comes time to change rubbers.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 2:15pm
I stick to Elmer's rubber cement as well.  I tried some of the cheap non-VOC alternatives and they just aren't as good as elmers.

Pros:
Super cheap.
Easy to apply
Quick (I disagree with GMan4911 on this one - I coat the blade, then the sponge and in just a few minutes it's good to go)
Good bond
Sometimes you can even pull the rubber off an slap it onto another blade without adding more glue.  Your mileage may vary with that though.  If it doesn't work, just some on the blade usually covers it.
Cons:
You can't glue the day of or day before a tournament if they test (admittedly I don't get a chance to play in many tournaments, but I've never had mine tested)

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

I find Elmer's to be not sticky or quick drying enough, especially if you need the assembled racket quick.  I usually have to put heavy weights on the assembled racket for a few hours or overnight.  I get pretty good results with LKT WBG.  Ready to play in about 20 minutes and somewhat easy to remove when it comes time to change rubbers.

I think you must be trying to put it on wet or someting.  You should be able to do a glue job in about 15min with elmers...maybe 30 at the outside.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

I 2nd Johnny on that. Thumbs Up
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

It's not legal right?
It is illegal to be above a certain VOC level so just don't glue up the day before the tournament and give it a couple of days to air out.
VOC glue had been used before WBG for many decades and no, it does not have a bad effect on new rubbers.

Yup yup… as long as you leave it for couple of days, it should be fine!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 2:38pm
wasn't there a discussion where Samsonov and LSW said the water based glue ruins the blade and they switch every three monthish now?

Thats why i stick with Elmer's

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 2:44pm
i find wbg offers better feeling vs rc but yea wbg does change the blade like water warps wood.
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 3:35pm
I use some unknown brand, think it starts with a D., works great for me, can't say whats best because I haven't tried that many. 

Edited by Fehrplay - 12/22/2014 at 10:07am
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 3:53pm
Dianchi all the way.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 4:16pm
I have tried most of the water based glues and they are ok but way over priced. I started using Elmer's again with excellent results. There is no voc testing at the tournaments I go to so no problems.

Elmer's is a super bargain that works well. One thin coat to blade and rubber does it.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 4:42pm
#1 - Elmers rubber cement.

Cheap, fast, works perfectly. Could pass any type of test within a couple of days if you really cared about that.

#2 - Tear Mender.

Again cheap for a WBG. Can get a great deal on it if you order from Walmart.com I use it on OX rubbers and probably for any tenor rubbers even though I don't really buy those. But I hear Rubber cement on tensors is bad so I use Tear Mender there.

That's all you need.

Edited by suds79 - 12/17/2014 at 4:42pm
spinitgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinitgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 4:47pm
I also use Elmer's - but I have to import it. Even with the shipping it is cheaper than the wbg!
Rasant Grip max on FH,Rasant powersponge max on BH
Glued on a Ross Leidy custom blade - mahogany mahogany spruce mahogany mahogany
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 4:51pm
I haven't used Elmer's since speed glue days, and then I reglued each time I played.  Can anyone comment on shrinkage?  Anyone used it with Tenergy?
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 5:26pm
I have come to the conclusion that it is better to use old style VOC glue. WBG - regardless of the brand, including the likes of Revo - dampens excessively and causes me to lose 2-3 points per game. So I have just switched back to VOC and enjoying the benefits of FEEL.

Don't worry about shrinkage, just wait a couple of hours before putting on the rubber.

One thing strikes me though: it could be that you can use non-composite blades with VOC to achieve similar speed to composite + WBG. It is just an assumption at the moment but so far it looks like it is true.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Can anyone comment on shrinkage?  Anyone used it with Tenergy?
I use it with T05 and did not have any major issues. I apply 2 thin layers on the sponge (on a new T05 otherwise only 1 layer) and 1 layer on the blade, let dry and do NOT roll it on. I just gently press it onto the blade and then a couple of books on top for a couple of hours. Voila!
When cutting a new rubber you may want to leave an extra 1-2mm but I never had any real problems.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 10:48pm
I use Elmers rubber cement on Chinese rubbers and Tear Mender on tensors. They are cheap and easy to use comparing w/ other water-based glues.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 6:38am
I've found Adidas glue the best of the expensive VOC-free glues. It pulls off easily and it rolls off the rubber/blade fairly easily. Good for OX pips players like me. 

Can you really use Elmers on OX pips? I would think that it would cause too much curling.
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 9:08am
I'm used to it and can do it without, but I used to put a can of vegetables (top down) on each corner of the rubber until it dried to hold it flat.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 9:09am
You start gluing in the center then work your way to the edges last.  The last thing you do is the bottom lip, as it is the part that curls most.

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by cheondo cheondo wrote:

I've found Adidas glue the best of the expensive VOC-free glues. It pulls off easily and it rolls off the rubber/blade fairly easily. Good for OX pips players like me. 

Can you really use Elmers on OX pips? I would think that it would cause too much curling.

I don't remember where I read this tip, but it was likely on here.

To simplify gluing OX pips:
Before cutting the rubber, staple it to cardboard.  This will make it sturdier and will prevent curling.  Add glue, attach it to the blade and when it's good, just cut off the cardboard and cut the rubber.
Cochese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cochese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 10:04am
I didn't realize so many of you still use Elmer's. I just bought some Paddle Palace WBG, but looks like that might be going back to them. I don't play in any tournaments, just a couple local leagues and mostly recreationally. Pretty sure a $4 jar of Elmer's is all I need.
Tibhar SPW
Adidas P7 Max/Vega Euro 1.8
Aman1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 10:09am
I also like Elmers.  But when the craft store was out of Elmers, I tried Best-Test Quality Rubber Cement.  It also works very well.
BTY TBS
FH Tibhar Evolution FX-P
BH Donic Bluefire M3

AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Aman1234 Aman1234 wrote:

I also like Elmers.  But when the craft store was out of Elmers, I tried <span ="a-size-large" id="productTitle">Best-Test Quality Rubber Cement.  It also works very well.</span>

Best Test and Elmers are both very good and each is vastly superior to the WBG crap needlessly forced upon players by the ITTF. Rubber cement does get a bit thick after awhile but can easily be thinned with a little lighter fluid (don't use paint thinner). As for the so-called VOC issue, 99.9 percent of all players will never have their racquet tested, so unless you are a pro, no worries mate!

Edited by AL_in_MN - 12/18/2014 at 12:31pm
Blade:Yinhe W-1
Rubber:Air Illumina 2.1

pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 12:34pm
Elmer's rules! Cheap and easy to apply/remove.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic