FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Newbie needs a new racket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Phaseshift View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie needs a new racket
    Posted: 12/20/2014 at 4:12am
Hey guys I've been playing ping pong since September. I've only been playing with the Stiga Performance Racket that came in a 4 pack. However, I usually play 2-4 hours Monday - Friday so I think I have improved a lot. I think it's time for me to get a new racket one that will help me develop from beginner to intermediate and above. One thing I do like about the Stiga Racket is the thump and feeling that I hit the ball(LOL) I've been reading a lot on this forum and many guides, and from reading those I know that I want to make a custom racket. Here is some information about my style of play:

- Shakehand Grip
- I tend to smash/drive with my forehand
- I chop with my backhand
- I serve a combination of top spin/side spin/back spin but I use top and side more than back spin on serves.

^ this is where my confusion comes form, am I an offensive player, all around, defensive?

So I guess I attack with my forehand and play defense or set up with my backhand since I chop most of the time. I also play behind the table since our ping pong table at work doesn't really have much space to move 10 feet back etc. So typically I'm directly behind the table or up to 4 feet away from the table. I hope I've given enough information for some recommendations. I don't mind spending good money on the racket between $150-300 

Is it common for someone to have an offensive blade, with tacky rubber on one side and offensive rubber on the other side?

Edited by Phaseshift - 12/20/2014 at 4:14am
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 6:34am
...or just put your paddle there (on the floor, middle of the table, telling "I play the winner") and fight.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 8:07am
Are you going to start playing someplace with more than four feet behind the table?  If so, then here is a suggestion for you to develop as a long-short chopper.  Take it for what it is worth.

Paddle Palace has combo specials of a blade and rubber, which they will assemble for you.  One of the blades is Tibhar Defense Plus.  On the forehand you can get Moristo SP (short pips) black 1.4 sponge, and on the backhand you can chop with DHS Cloud & Fog 3 (1.0 sponge).  All that is yours for $110 and free shipping too.

Take the extra $40 - $190 you were willing to spend on equipment and get a lesson or two on how to chop with the DHS long pips.  The short pips forehand should not require an enormous adjustment from the smash/drive technique you already use.

I think it is very safe to say that if you learn to use this setup reasonably well, no one at your office will ever touch you again.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 10:05am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Are you going to start playing someplace with more than four feet behind the table?  If so, then here is a suggestion for you to develop as a long-short chopper.  Take it for what it is worth.

Paddle Palace has combo specials of a blade and rubber, which they will assemble for you.  One of the blades is Tibhar Defense Plus.  On the forehand you can get Moristo SP (short pips) black 1.4 sponge, and on the backhand you can chop with DHS Cloud & Fog 3 (1.0 sponge).  All that is yours for $110 and free shipping too.

Take the extra $40 - $190 you were willing to spend on equipment and get a lesson or two on how to chop with the DHS long pips.  The short pips forehand should not require an enormous adjustment from the smash/drive technique you already use.

I think it is very safe to say that if you learn to use this setup reasonably well, no one at your office will ever touch you again.

Thank you! I appreciate your input I have not really thought about playing elsewhere but as I get better I will probably be at my local club. So after reading your post I went and did some more reading it seems that my type type of play is going towards a modern defensive play? 

Edited by Phaseshift - 12/20/2014 at 10:06am
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 10:38am
Do you ever attack with your backhand? Or just mainly chop.

If just chop, then you're a modern defender and you should get something with inverted on the forehand, and long pips on the backhand. The long pips is a big learning curve but its worth it.

Is there a professional player out there who you'd like to mimic your game after? Just trying to get a picture for the type of player you are.

Youtube Joo Se Hyuk. If his style is what you're trying to emulate, then let us know and we can go from there. If not, then you can pretty much disregard this post. :)

Edited by suds79 - 12/20/2014 at 10:52am
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

If just chop, then you're a modern defender and you should get something with inverted on the forehand, and long pips on the backhand. The long pips is a big learning curve but its worth it.

Is there a professional player out there who you'd like to mimic your game after? Just trying to get a picture for the type of player you are.

Very rarely do I attack with my backhand, however, I would like to develop an aggressive backhand at some point.

Edited by Phaseshift - 12/20/2014 at 11:13am
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 11:12am

Youtube Joo Se Hyuk. If his style is what you're trying to emulate, then let us know and we can go from there. If not, then you can pretty much disregard this post. :)

Okay yes! Hoo Se Hyuk, exactly like his style of play.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 11:20am
what club are you planning going to ?  I'm in the Sunset.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

what club are you planning going to ?  I'm in the Sunset.

I haven't really looked at what clubs are out there, I moved to San Mateo but work in SF.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Phaseshift Phaseshift wrote:

Hey guys I've been playing ping pong since September. I've only been playing with the Stiga Performance Racket that came in a 4 pack. However, I usually play 2-4 hours Monday - Friday so I think I have improved a lot. I think it's time for me to get a new racket one that will help me develop from beginner to intermediate and above. One thing I do like about the Stiga Racket is the thump and feeling that I hit the ball(LOL) I've been reading a lot on this forum and many guides, and from reading those I know that I want to make a custom racket. Here is some information about my style of play:

- Shakehand Grip
- I tend to smash/drive with my forehand
- I chop with my backhand
- I serve a combination of top spin/side spin/back spin but I use top and side more than back spin on serves.

^ this is where my confusion comes form, am I an offensive player, all around, defensive?

So I guess I attack with my forehand and play defense or set up with my backhand since I chop most of the time. I also play behind the table since our ping pong table at work doesn't really have much space to move 10 feet back etc. So typically I'm directly behind the table or up to 4 feet away from the table. I hope I've given enough information for some recommendations. I don't mind spending good money on the racket between $150-300 

Is it common for someone to have an offensive blade, with tacky rubber on one side and offensive rubber on the other side?

Call Paddle Palace, their equipment experts will give you the proper advice - 1-800-547-5891
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 12:17pm
Stiga allround classic is a really good first blade! Better control is hard to get!
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 12:52pm
Does paddle palace charge for sealing? How do I go about adding sealing to my order?

- Butterfly Joo Saehyuk Blade 
- Grass D. TecS
- Tenergy 05 

^ that's what I was thinking and then use the rest for some classes
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 1:11pm
The setup will be very very heavy compared to anything you have previously used. The Joo Se Hyuk is heavy even by standards- it can be anywhere from 95 to 105 grams, and combined with a large headsize makes the paddle feel like a frying pan. You could buy it iust to get used to it, but I don't suggest you go for a Joo Se Hyuk. A DONIC Appelgren Allplay or a STIGA Allround Classic would allow you to hit the ball just fine, and you have more money to spend on lessons.

I personally would get Butterfly Feint Long II 0.5 and Sriver 1.9 instead of T05 and Grass DTecS. Less money, easier to play with. Sriver doesn't chip around the edges like T05. Unless you are training like 5 times a week with good coaching, I wouldn't suggest T05 to someone.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Fehrplay Fehrplay wrote:

Stiga allround classic is a really good first blade! Better control is hard to get!

+1 IMO.

Can't go wrong there. I'm a firm believer in the quality of Stiga blades. This would be a safe bet. You could attack & loop just fine on your forehand and on backhand, LPs will take some getting use to but it just takes time.

I have some OX LPs on two blades. One Stiff. The other flexy. You can operate it with either IMO.

If I were you I'd get...

Stiga allround classic.
- Inverted rubber of your choice (probably not tuned). See Colestt or zeropong or megaspin for your choice of product. 
- LPs, I like CTT National Pogo but I've also liked Paliock531a. Truth be told, they both played really, really similar. 

Oh yeah. Learn how to put the blade and rubbers together yourself. It's easy and something you'll want to learn anyways.

Check out this page on our club's site for instructions on how to do all that.

Best of luck.

Edited by suds79 - 12/20/2014 at 2:40pm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 7:32pm
how about 

Andro Temper Tech All+ with Fein Long II and Sriver?
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 10:02pm
My brother has always hit with Sriver. Frankly I think there are a slew of 14 dollar rubbers out there that will perform just as good... Or at least you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But that's just me. 30 bucks seems like a lot to pay IMO for older technology that can be had at 1/2 that price.

I haven't hit with feint long 2 but again a LP that can do everything you'd ever want is there at 1/2 that price.

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

Edited by suds79 - 12/20/2014 at 10:03pm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 10:15pm

My brother has always hit with Sriver. Frankly I think there are a slew of 14 dollar rubbers out there that will perform just as good... Or at least you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But that's just me. 30 bucks seems like a lot to pay IMO for older technology that can be had at 1/2 that price.

I haven't hit with feint long 2 but again a LP that can do everything you'd ever want is there at 1/2 that price.

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

man there's just so many options out there the more I look the more I can't decide. About how many grams do you think that set up above will be?
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 10:26pm

Does paddle palace charge for sealing? How do I go about adding sealing to my order?

- Grass D. TecS
- Tenergy 05 

Paddle Palace doesn't seal blades that I know of. They do sell blade sealer. I use Tibhar sealer. Very easy to just roll it on and one bottle can seal 8 blades.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

- Grass D. TecS
- Tenergy 05 

Paddle Palace doesn't seal blades that I know of. They do sell blade sealer. I use Tibhar sealer. Very easy to just roll it on and one bottle can seal 8 blades.

I ended up calling them today and they do seal for free, you just have to notate in the notes that you would like them to seal the blade and its free of charge! WOO
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 11:38am

how about 

Andro Temper Tech All+ with Fein Long II and Sriver?

Sounds a bit hard to control for a beginner I think. 
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 3:55pm
Holy cow all these years and all the blades I have purchased from PP could have been sealed for free. Dad nab it!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

arroyo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 5:39pm
Phaseshift, like you, I learned how to play TT at work (10 years ago). I finally got more "serious" about it two years ago. The best advice I can give is, get an ALL-rated blade and slap a basic inverted rubber on it, then play as much as you can and find as many different players to hit with as possible. You'll get to see a lot of different playing styles and equipment that way. Eventually you'll figure out what direction you want to go in terms of playing style and equipment.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending Donic's Appelgren Allplay with an inexpensive $14 rubber like LKT XP. Tabletennis11 will seal the blade and assemble for you if you don't want to. Stiga's Allround Classic will be similar. Coles TT also has some ALL blades that he can assemble for you with either LKT XP Pro or similar.

No need to spend lots of money at this point. You'll get to that point soon enough.

You're really lucky to be living in a large metro area with nearby clubs and lots of different levels of players to hit with.
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 6:11pm
For the love of all that is good, don't start off with long pips! (I'm saying this as a long pip player!)

You're not going to be a "Modern Defender" at lower levels of play. This style is not fun AT ALL until at least 1500 USTTA. (It doesn't really get fun until over 1800)

You need to learn the basic strokes first, and trust me as somebody who thought he could do it by himself, you ain't gonna be able to teach yourself all that well -- or at least it will take many years to do so.

Get an All + to OFF blade with two of the same inverted rubbers and go from there. 

My personal recommendation would be Peter Korbel with two Xiom Vega Euro rubbers. Xiom rubbers are reasonably priced and fast but not too fast and they're not heavy, at least the Euro rubbers are not heavy... and they're very forgiving. 

This is a setup anyone can use. In Korea, many pros start with this blade Korbel) and many continue to use it well past USTTA 2500. Even modern defenders use it! 

Edited by cheondo - 12/21/2014 at 6:12pm
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 6:20pm
I wouldn't get an Appelgren if I ever had thoughts of chopping with the blade.  The ones I have seen have very small heads.  You could do it, but it wouldn't be ideal.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by arroyo arroyo wrote:

Phaseshift, like you, I learned how to play TT at work (10 years ago). I finally got more "serious" about it two years ago. The best advice I can give is, get an ALL-rated blade and slap a basic inverted rubber on it, then play as much as you can and find as many different players to hit with as possible. You'll get to see a lot of different playing styles and equipment that way. Eventually you'll figure out what direction you want to go in terms of playing style and equipment.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending Donic's Appelgren Allplay with an inexpensive $14 rubber like LKT XP. Tabletennis11 will seal the blade and assemble for you if you don't want to. Stiga's Allround Classic will be similar. Coles TT also has some ALL blades that he can assemble for you with either LKT XP Pro or similar.

No need to spend lots of money at this point. You'll get to that point soon enough.

You're really lucky to be living in a large metro area with nearby clubs and lots of different levels of players to hit with.

What arroyo said - you are over-thinking it at this point. Your #1 priority should be getting exposed to better players and wide variety of play styles - you most likely don't know what's out there. Perhaps after couple of weeks you decide you actually want to be a j-pen player - and your top of the line modern defense setup will suddenly become a handicap. 

Just get something cheap and not too fast. I would avoid pips for now - I suspect you never played with them, so declaring yourself a modern defender is a bit premature. Then go to the club, get some lessons if you can, and have fun. Don't worry about losing a lot (and you will) - you'll get better.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaseshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 12:36am
I went with Butterfly Primorac w/ Yasaka Mark V 1.8mm rubbers on both sides!
arroyo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2014 at 7:16pm
Congrats. That'll be a nice setup you can use for a long time, then change rubber as you need/want.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic