Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jim Butler vs Kunal Chodri (2014 Nationals final)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jim Butler vs Kunal Chodri (2014 Nationals final)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 12:39pm
you may be right NextLevel....maybe on average he's only 2550...but given his experience he can probably play 2600+ during some matches and I think to beat all those 2500+ players he had to be playing very solidly to pull them out. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 2:00pm
A heavy weight boxer aged 45, can hit you just as hard as when he was 25. It's just that at 25 he can do it 20 times in a row in rapid succession while at 45yo he can do it maybe 5 times.

Same for TT. A player who played at world class level at age 25 still has the mind of that 25 yo. But he is limited with the amount of times that he can physically play at that 2700 level. Let's say 3-4 points per game. That's probably enough of an advantage to clip a 2500 junior in a one-off match, even though the older guy's official rating is also 2500.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 2:28pm
ratings is a relative thing, to gain ratings you must clash swords with players with higher ratings, the thing is USA doesn't have that many players that are eligible/active and available in the 2600+ area
to play against in rating events

the final was great (the last 6 or so points of Jim really steered the game to his control and to the path of victory) up to then the game was in balance
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 2:40pm
The other thing that amazes me is the rise of the Indian youth playing high level jnr table tennis in the USA , I saw the USA team playing at the World jnr champs a few weeks ago and they were all of Indian decent (well the 3 person team I saw)
 I remember thinking where are the many hundreds of top American Chinese kids, then I saw some of the trial results and there was non stop upsets by some of the Chinese kids.

Overall it is great for American table tennis that age and culture is no barrier to being the best
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

you may be right NextLevel....maybe on average he's only 2550...but given his experience he can probably play 2600+ during some matches and I think to beat all those 2500+ players he had to be playing very solidly to pull them out. 
Completely agree TinyKin. George Foreman retired from boxing and came back in his 40s and regained his world title. He couldn't move/punch as fast, but he still had those thunderous body shots!
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic