Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reading the ball - problems.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jerem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reading the ball - problems.
    Posted: 01/02/2015 at 5:35pm
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you, how to read spin well from unortodox players.

Tell me please what to do to bring the training performance into tournament play.
When I am warming up I can do everything so smooth then suddenly after first serve I am not playing the same game. 

Things with cause me most problems:

Spinny shots which are not spinny at all. - misreading spin
When people with old normal inverted rubbers pretend to do good strokes but their shots are spinless or knuckle. "It behave like it is it but it ain't". Cry

I've heard a lot of times from other players: When they saw me during practice they were afraid of playing against me... After first match, no more. Angry

Tell me please, what should be my target? On what thing should I focus the most during tournament play to bring my good game from practice into it. 

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2015 at 5:56pm
Unorthodox pips or unorthodox inverted? The key to both is usually heavy topspin but the playing styles are different.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2015 at 8:29pm
You are likely inconsistent right now at this point and as you get better, you will see these dead balls better and make better quality decisions and shots vs them.

I agree with NL that deep heavy shots slow are a good friend, but you have to read the ball first or get the ball you want. Often, if you are able to make a somewhat fast push heavy and deep, you will get back what you want... a long underspin ball to open heavy deep and safe.

At some point, you have to change your shots up to get back something predictable and long. Often, it is hitting medium pace little spin and deep at their crossover. many of these players do not move well and you will get weak long returns, but some of them are great at bending off balance or chicken wing the  block, so you have to experiment and see where their true middle is. Often, if they do not give it to you deep, you can hit softly at wide angles and move them around to get a better chance at an exposed wing.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2015 at 8:47pm
Post a video. Then we can see how you play.
Also, in matches start the match 60% if you are winning keep it there - if you're losing - move it up 70% or 80% power, spin and speed. 
If you start at 100% and it doesn't go well - you've got no where to go. 
Since you do the shots in practice - means you have the shot - just play more matches so you can bring it to the matches. Less drills more matches. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2015 at 10:58pm
If it is inverted we had a recent thread on this already.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
atomant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2015 at 9:15am
Best method, play with different ppls more often. Nothing beats experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic