Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Float serving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jama9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jama9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Float serving
    Posted: 01/12/2015 at 10:46am
Could anyone explain or direct me to some advice on how to execute a float serve please?

Paul
Powerloop
Sponsored Links

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 10:56am
What is a float serve? Is it a no spin?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 10:57am
Yes
Jama9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jama9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 11:00am
Yes, sorry. The key is the disguise, i use pendulum and looking for it to look like side spin but is actually no spin/float
Powerloop
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 11:22am
Try contacting the ball as close the handle as possible while keeping the serve motion fast and similar to what you do normally.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 12:21pm
It's not my best serve but an important one. Here is an important factor to think about that I don't think gets factored in enough. And kudos to those players out there who do.

The two bounces in your serve, one on your side and one on their side before they contact the ball will naturally put slight topspin on the ball with it's forward momentum. The key, I think, is to make sure it's no spin when they contact it. Not no spin when you serve it.

Having said that, I'll often give the ball a very faint backspin when I serve it. The two topspin bounces tend to negate that and voilà, it's no spin by the time they get it.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 12:41pm
Serve side backspin but contact as close to the handle as possible and so not brush as much. Do note that you need to have a heavy spin serve for the no spin to be a real variant. If you can't serve with heavy spin, the contrast is not that much.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/12/2015 at 12:43pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 12:43pm
Disguise is important here or its gonna be killed. I am not precise enough to pick where I contact the ball on the racket, so what I do is I would use the same motion as my underpin serve except at the point of contact my blade is slightly more open and I am trying to eat the ball into the sponge and hit it forward instead of grazing through the ball and that creates a low/no spin serve for me!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

It's not my best serve but an important one. Here is an important factor to think about that I don't think gets factored in enough. And kudos to those players out there who do.

The two bounces in your serve, one on your side and one on their side before they contact the ball will naturally put slight topspin on the ball with it's forward momentum. The key, I think, is to make sure it's no spin when they contact it. Not no spin when you serve it.

Having said that, I'll often give the ball a very faint backspin when I serve it. The two topspin bounces tend to negate that and voilà, it's no spin by the time they get it.

hmm slight backspin gives two top spin bounces = no spin 
pissing myself (maybe I come acroos as rude but you read it)
 slight backspin = a slight back spin serve not what you are trying to say
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I'm not sure I'm following. Perhaps I worded it wrong or my meaning isn't clear. Not sure if you understand what I'm trying to say and are just telling me I explained it funny or if you're saying I explained it funny and you don't understand. I'm guess it's the former. Either way, my apologies.

I'll try one more time just for the sake of clarity. I basically try to do this on my float serve. 

- Serve with the slightest version of backspin
- ball bounces one on my side of net (forward momentum adds some topspin from the bounce)
- ball bounces on their side of the net (forward momentum adds some topspin from the bounce)
- When opponent goes to return that ball, at that point the ball should be relatively spinless.
BLADERUNNER View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLADERUNNER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 9:54pm
You explained well and clear for me!!! Tongue
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2015 at 9:59pm
I hear you Mr Suds and you can write anything you want
and some people may agree with what you are saying
but from my experience  the spin is continued 

To me a float is pretending to spin and as others have said disguising the serve with before and after actions

Edited by smackman - 01/12/2015 at 10:53pm
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 3:00am

I'm not sure I'm following. Perhaps I worded it wrong or my meaning isn't clear. Not sure if you understand what I'm trying to say and are just telling me I explained it funny or if you're saying I explained it funny and you don't understand. I'm guess it's the former. Either way, my apologies.

I'll try one more time just for the sake of clarity. I basically try to do this on my float serve. 

- Serve with the slightest version of backspin
- ball bounces one on my side of net (forward momentum adds some topspin from the bounce)
- ball bounces on their side of the net (forward momentum adds some topspin from the bounce)
- When opponent goes to return that ball, at that point the ball should be relatively spinless.

"forward momentum adds some topspin from the bounce" - sorry, but this makes no sense what so ever. If anything, the initial backspin imparted by the bat during the serve will be affected by the friction with the table and air. 

Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 4:23am
I think what Suds is trying to say is that spin dissipates and disappears with time (given enough time, a spinning ball will stop spinning), and if you only put some very light backspin, by the TIME is has bounced for the second time, the spin has dissipated and is effectively a float.

Very important point made by NL is that if you don't have a similar but heavy-spinned serve, you'll get in trouble with your float.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 7:42am
Here is Larry making the same point that Suds was trying to make, smackman.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/13/2015 at 7:44am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 8:38am
One other thing is a no-spin serve had better be low.  Sometimes it's effective to serve heavy backspin that bounces high, especially if it is long, because it tempts people to hit slightly down.  But a high no-spin just gets killed.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

"forward momentum adds some topspin from the bounce" - sorry, but this makes no sense what so ever. If anything, the initial backspin imparted by the bat during the serve will be affected by the friction with the table and air. 

The table has friction. 

I encourage you to take a ball in your hand, toss it over like a serve. Bouncing once on your side and once on theirs. In your toss, be sure the ball is not spinning in any direction whatsoever. Make a perfect no spin toss. If you have a ball you've marked, that's helpful. 

These have helped me immensely in seeing how much & how little of spin I'm getting on serves. Made with tape and a sharpie.

Now make your toss and watch the ball. Notice the spin on the ball after that 2nd bounce. It's rotating over ever so slightly in a topspin manner due to the friction of the table. Not no spin as it was when you tossed it.

The backspin I shoot for is just enough to negate that difference. 

Edited by suds79 - 01/13/2015 at 9:30am
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 10:25am

I hear you Mr Suds and you can write anything you want
and some people may agree with what you are saying
but from my experience  the spin is continued 

To me a float is pretending to spin and as others have said disguising the serve with before and after actions

pretending to spin WILL add a slight back spin dude
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 10:30am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Serve side backspin but contact as close to the handle as possible and so not brush as much. Do note that you need to have a heavy spin serve for the no spin to be a real variant. If you can't serve with heavy spin, the contrast is not that much.

There're several ways to fake no spin as backspin I believe.

1. what nextlevel said
2. what nextlevel said, but instead of contact close to handle, contact close to the back edge of racket. (this is what i do)
3. having a downward convex swing, contact at begining of swing you get back spin and contact a bit later you get weak/no spin (Xu Xin's version)
4. The opposite of #3, this I believe people who do the stab/hook serve use...
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 10:56am
Suds is right!!!
if the ball truly have no spin coming off of your racket then the friction between ball and the table will turn the ball slightly topspin when it reaches your opponent! 
illinichamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 12:53pm
i use a method of hitting the top of my racket and then doing a swooping motion to make it look like a backspin serve. works 80% of the time if you practice it well enough, because it is the same motion as the backspin serve except that for the backspin serve you hit the ball on the bottom of the racket.. hope this helps..
H3 Prov. |MJ SZLC | 05 FX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 1:02pm
It is often very effective to be able to execute a high spin serve and a no-spin serve with identical motion - the trick is the difference in where you contact the ball, how long is the contact with the ball, and whether you do something with the last wrist snap.

Serve high-underspin serve first, then - do the no-spin serve with the almost identical motion. Important thing is to know what you expect from your opponent and be ready for corresponding return in both cases. For instance, first, he pushes back your underspin serve - hopefully not too short - and you start your attack with opening backhand loop. Then on the second serve he does the same thing but as a result he pops up the ball and you are ready to kill it with fast loop-drive (preferably into his body).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by DistantStar DistantStar wrote:

pretending to spin WILL add a slight back spin dude

look people will be reading that comment then now think that it will change to top spin and then to no spin so no problems jeez or I didn't spin the ball very much in the first place

Hitting closer to the handle , using same stroke deception, doing a chopping stroke but hitting in the top half of the blade,making a scallop stroke with a lite contact, adding some speed , making he ball bounce twice on their side, extra arm movements after strike etc 
can all help add to the fact you /we are putting less spin than we look like we had

anyway for me a lite backspin is the deception (not a ball that suddenly changing spin 3 times lol)
and If I pretend to spin it will mean Im pretending to spin less than my opposition thought 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic