Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's happening with Stiga blades quality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's happening with Stiga blades quality?
    Posted: 01/27/2015 at 1:56pm
I open this thread to know is someone else is getting the same perception.

Last years, Stiga is absolutelly falling down with the quality of their blades. Let's talk about objective facts.

* 'Premade Barnish'. Lots of people talk about sanding the blade before gluing. It's a joke for brand new blade?

* Inners veneers unstucked!. I know few cases, but someone else have seen it?

* Outer veneers completely chipped when removing the rubbers. In that case I'm talking about Clipper, CC5 and CC7 (outer 'white' veneer very damaged after removing 2 times...), Infinty....

* Outer veneer of some Emerald blades is blowed!!! I'm talking about a small part unstucked in the  middle of the blade.

I think that all of that facts are incredible when we are talking about expensive blades...

I see Yasaka blades and Avalox blades made in Sweden that doesn't have these problems.

Does Stiga have different quality controls? Does Stiga send to Asia better quality blades?

Of course, I can be wrong, it's my opinion. But every day I see more 'facts' about that.

Edited by DrBacterius - 01/27/2015 at 2:59pm
OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback
Sponsored Links

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:06pm

Hmmm Stiga blades I have purchased in the past had finishing issues not structural. My recent Stiga Clipper Classic was perfect. No sanding required. Great wood selection and weight. You must have got a lemon. :)

Also my current Offensive CR was perfect.

Edited by frogger - 01/27/2015 at 2:09pm
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Hmmm Stiga blades I have purchased in the past had finishing issues not structural. My recent Stiga Clipper Classic was perfect. No sanding required. Great wood selection and weight. You must have got a lemon. :)

Also my current Offensive CR was perfect.

Did you buy the blades in US?.

In my case was Clipper CR. Impossible to glue a rubber before sanding. Also the outer veneer chipped when ungluing the rubber. I know more peole with that problem.

Edited by DrBacterius - 01/27/2015 at 2:15pm
OSP Virtuoso

My Feedback
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:19pm
OSP Virtuoso

My Feedback
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:23pm
I guess stiga try to lower down their prices for regular cheap blade and completelly ignore the quality issue.
Or some massive amount of blades on the market are 5 usd chinesse wood.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:41pm

Any new blade must be sealed unless sealed at the factory. I seal X2 and have had zero problems with wood splintering on Stiga blades. Yes all my blades where purchased in the USA.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:51pm
You can ask your local STIGA dealer how he is gluing his rubbers on the new STIGA blades.
I am sure you can glue rubbers on a new blade without sanding, if you are enough skilled to use some acetone only around the edges for removing the original varnish and the rubbers will stick well then.
You can try first on some cheap blade and then on the expensive one. You must know just a drop of acetone on the original signature could destroy/delete it.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 12:53am
Originally posted by DrBacterius DrBacterius wrote:

I open this thread to know is someone else is getting the same perception.

Last years, Stiga is absolutelly falling down with the quality of their blades. Let's talk about objective facts.

* 'Premade Barnish'. Lots of people talk about sanding the blade before gluing. It's a joke for brand new blade?

* Inners veneers unstucked!. I know few cases, but someone else have seen it?

* Outer veneers completely chipped when removing the rubbers. In that case I'm talking about Clipper, CC5 and CC7 (outer 'white' veneer very damaged after removing 2 times...), Infinty....

* Outer veneer of some Emerald blades is blowed!!! I'm talking about a small part unstucked in the  middle of the blade.

I think that all of that facts are incredible when we are talking about expensive blades...

I see Yasaka blades and Avalox blades made in Sweden that doesn't have these problems.

Does Stiga have different quality controls? Does Stiga send to Asia better quality blades?

Of course, I can be wrong, it's my opinion. But every day I see more 'facts' about that.

my clipper cr from chinese market is another stufff, better in any way
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 1:02am
Stiga blades made in Sweden have been absolute garbage for their premium price. I've gotten two Stiga OCs (out of 3) with 2/4th spruce plies oriented every which way but up/down. Fake stigas from china have better quality.

Get a donic/yasaka if you want decent quality from Sweden. Or Yinhe or equivalent if you're OK with OFF blade; for whatever reason their slowest blade is OFF- as are products from most chinese companies. Guess it's easier to build faster blades, and they can be marketed for more $. Gee I wonder why manufacturer all try to promote the fast end of the market.

Edited by AgentHEX - 01/28/2015 at 1:08am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 1:31am
the newer baldes from stiga are much better in quality compared to the ones in early 2013, the ones produced in 2014 like their rosewood, ebenholz and emerald have very good quality
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 2:00am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

the newer baldes from stiga are much better in quality compared to the ones in early 2013, the ones produced in 2014 like their rosewood, ebenholz and emerald have very good quality

That`s also my opinion: Stiga blades had bad quality for several years, but the newer blades like Rosewood XO, Infinity VPS or Emerald VPS have top craftsmanship and they are also very good for playing. And I think, I know, what I say, because 
  • I am a collector of old Stiga blades
  • I don`t own ANY Stiga blade from end of 90`s up to beginning of 2010`s, because I was really unhappy with several of these blades
  • I own 3 (!) Emerald
All of my 3 Emeralds are really fine in quality and playing-skills. And if you look on the newest details like the new metal-lenses and the natal-sticker under the handle, you can see, that Stiga is focussing more on quality now.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

That`s also my opinion: Stiga blades had bad quality for several years, but the newer blades like Rosewood XO, Infinity VPS or Emerald VPS have top craftsmanship and they are also very good for playing. And I think, I know, what I say, because 
  • I am a collector of old Stiga blades
  • I don`t own ANY Stiga blade from end of 90`s up to beginning of 2010`s, because I was really unhappy with several of these blades
  • I own 3 (!) Emerald
All of my 3 Emeralds are really fine in quality and playing-skills. And if you look on the newest details like the new metal-lenses and the natal-sticker under the handle, you can see, that Stiga is focussing more on quality now.

And that is saying something!

Nothing's going to get me off my black tag Viscarias, though.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 2:03am
Those are the exception (as are blades from Stiga china) but obscenely overpriced for basically slightly thicker OC/CC with harder face ply.

They're also into the speed range where chinese companies have replacements for a lot less.

BB-Big View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB-Big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 4:22am
I currently own 2 Emerald blades. One from Sweden has thin varnish and the other one from Belgium has thicker coating with minor veneer defect. It seems like these 2 blades have been made from different factories.

My friend told me that these new blades are made from different places (?China and Sweden). I'm not sure about this. Any opinions?
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 5:04am
Oooh
if this information is right, that's bad news. One blade from different factories???
I knew, that the different blades are produced by different factories some times, but the same blade?
In this case I am happy, that all my Emeralds are from the same factory.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 9:59am
The one with thicker coating was made using their old machines in the same factory in eskatiluna
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:55am

Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 3:47pm
Stiga Infinty.

1st time that rubbers are removed. 8 monts glued aprox. Glue DHS#15

OSP Virtuoso

My Feedback
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 4:06pm
this blade looks perfect to me. The only chips are at the contact points where you hit the table and destroyed the edge. Seen identical picture on all my blades, familiar with it all too painfully. Unless you put steel protection on the edge you will have same complaint with ALL blades where you destroyed the edge.
Not a stiga fan personally, but bought infinity VPS and Intencity Carbon for testing last year, and the craftsmanship quality was simply outstanding on both.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:45pm
What?  It's not contact points where you hit the table.  But it is just so fragile that simple glue rip the top ply at several places.

May be the owner did not seal the blade, or he has sealed but not enough

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:45am
It's probably a bit of both: some contact and not the most firmly glued layers.

Then again, it's not one of their >$100 models so maybe they don't care enough to make sure the glue dried right.
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:38am
There is a trick supposedly used by pros to avoid this problem with top ply separation around the edges.
Before putting glue put some thin coating of lip butter around the edges of the blade head.
It is greasy and prevents the glue from sticking too hard to the blade at the edges so hopefully when removing rubbers top ply will not be pulled up.

I did it with my Infinity but I haven't changed rubbers since so I don't know if it works.

Another protection is to seal the blade edge because it also strengthens top ply and second ply bonding at the edges.
HappyHarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyHarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

this blade looks perfect to me. The only chips are at the contact points where you hit the table and destroyed the edge. Seen identical picture on all my blades, familiar with it all too painfully. Unless you put steel protection on the edge you will have same complaint with ALL blades where you destroyed the edge.
Not a stiga fan personally, but bought infinity VPS and Intencity Carbon for testing last year, and the craftsmanship quality was simply outstanding on both.

Agree that happens on all blades no matter brand or quality if you hit the edges in the table for example. I have been playing with the Infinity for a while an re-glued it many times without a scratch. I think Stiga still produces really good quality blades and if you just are gentle and don't hit the table when you play and take it a bit slow when you are removing your rubbers their shouldn't be any problems! 
HappyHarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyHarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:49am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Agree! I really hope Stiga is continues on in the same way with the new carbon blades! Smile
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by HappyHarry HappyHarry wrote:

Agree that happens on all blades no matter brand or quality if you hit the edges in the table for example.

The problem can be better or worse depending on the blade/glue. As someone who chops on the BH hitting the table happens a lot, and that stiga does seem worse than the norm. Donic/Yasaka blades from Woodhouse as someone mentioned above are much less susceptible to this..
rocketscientist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by BB-Big BB-Big wrote:

I currently own 2 Emerald blades. One from Sweden has thin varnish and the other one from Belgium has thicker coating with minor veneer defect. It seems like these 2 blades have been made from different factories.

My friend told me that these new blades are made from different places (?China and Sweden). I'm not sure about this. Any opinions?

All STIGA blades are made in their factory in Sweden. 
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:33pm
Stiga makes blades in china for the chinese market. They're better than the swedish ones.
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:35pm
Drbakterius is just right!Stiga has poor quality in all its blades.They just did something different from the hardwood series and on, but still it is poor.I took a chinese national's team rosewood 5 before it came out the market (samples where made before marketing for testing by CNT)...After the first rubber removing, some grains where pealed off, on my rubber.Thank God I am watchmaker and I have tiny tools and super glues and fixed it.The same thing I saw in a relative post from a player whose emerald pealed off too excactly like my rosewood.Maybe they've put some quality definately, but not enough to make perfect blades such as bty or nittaku.Most of the people in this thread who are saying that DrBakterius is wrong, then they look only the "outer package".They see the new metal labels and the better finish in the newer blades.Many times happened to all of us to buy something from how it looks and after the usage we see its disadvantages.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by HappyHarry HappyHarry wrote:

Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Agree that happens on all blades no matter brand or quality if you hit the edges in the table for example. I have been playing with the Infinity for a while an re-glued it many times without a scratch. I think Stiga still produces really good quality blades and if you just are gentle and don't hit the table when you play and take it a bit slow when you are removing your rubbers their shouldn't be any problems! 

HappyHarry, NO ONE says that  this happens to EVERY blade!But it happens A LOT in stiga blades.It used to happen in Donic blades too with the old glue, because of the usual glueing, reglueing!It is just that there an not so often incidents in other brands as it happens so usually with Stiga blades!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
rocketscientist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Stiga makes blades in china for the chinese market. They're better than the swedish ones.

You obvious doesn't know what you are talking about. All stiga blades are made in sweden, even the ones that are sold in China. And that is a fact.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic