Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Staying focused with distractions/pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Staying focused with distractions/pressure
    Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:12pm
One of the biggest problems I'm facing lately has been playing in front of spectators and my fellow table tennis peers. During practice nights I'm one of the more dominant players in our local club and regularly end the night coming out on top or very close, many times with one-sided  3:0 or 3:1 set victories. I'm always relaxed, focused, and play the shots I want to hit with players up to and slightly above USATT 1800.

However, my game really seems to spiral downhill during the club's weekly unsanctioned tournament. These are once a week and generally attract a lot of spectators; the playing room is fairly small, so the spectators are reasonably close to the tables (the atmosphere is similar to this Timo Boll visit at Spin LA -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boi1kmKrPFc ..albeit with about twice as much room and so space isn't an issue). The scene is fairly similar to that, with mostly tournament participants, family members, and casual observers all closely packed around the playing area.

During some of these weekly tournaments, I seem to lose to the people I beat 3:0 with regularity on club nights without the spectators or pressure. To add to the frustration, the losses are normally to the handful of coached kids who are only 11-14 years old and 200-300 pts lower ranked. They are usually fairly erratic on club nights and almost never beat me. But on tournament nights, they're like fearless attacking warriors and always seem to make shots with far greater percentage than on practice nights.  This has really been frustrating as a couple of the kids I've gone streaks of beating 15-20 times in a row on practice nights are turning around and beating me on tournament night.. then I go right back around to win on the practice night, only to lose again the next tournament appearance. Again, these are unsanctioned tournaments without ratings points but we all take them pretty seriously still.

I find I tend to rush my shots and serves more in this atmosphere when a lot of people, including all of my table tennis friends/opponents, are watching. This leads me to not move around as much, clam up, and play more of a drive and block game, as opposed to looping and dictating play like I do on practice nights.

Also, I often go into a sort of exhibition mode where I play shots that'd be more fun to watch than will actually win points. I don't know why I do this. I just can't seem to think clearly or focus when a lot of people are around; people even come up to me afterwards and say "that's not how you usually play" and I agree with them.

Any tips or observations appreciated.

Edited by FinalFight - 01/27/2015 at 2:28pm
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:32pm
The kids use practice nights as nights to practice.  They use tournament nights to play at tournament level.  You probably use practice nights as tournament night and tournament night as "show off night" 

I used to lose to a guy every time on practice night, but never lost to him anywhere else.  He couldn't understand it and I never told him.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:32pm
I feel your pain.  I am the worst person in the world about this, so I'll wait for some of the better players to chime in and they'll be able to help you more.  For now, here are a few suggestions:

1.  Read what Larry Hodges wrote here about practical ways to overcome nervousness.

2. Read the Inner Game of Tennis  by Gallwey if you haven't already, as well as the rest of the books on Larry Hodges recommended reading list.

3. Use google to do some research on "progressive relaxation" and "sports psychology".

Edited by Ringer84 - 01/27/2015 at 2:35pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:34pm
Consider buying "Ping Pong for Fighters".

I am usually against choing but the one time I am 100% for it or at least self motivation through cheering yourself is when the crowd is against you. If you have a friend, go grab him to cheer for you. Human beings like to please crowds so you need to get your subconscious working for you, whether you are the crows or your friend is. Don't let your opponents monopolize the approval process.

Finally, psychologically, as your shots and routines become more consistent and practiced (and if they aren't, your attitude should reflect and accept that), you simply decide to execute every point and stop taking points off. Before the point starts, I usually ask myself or remind myself how I am going to win the point, the play the point out and accept the result. The match score is not my concern anymore as long as I am doing this. You cannot control the match score. You can only play hard on every point. It is good to be aware of the match score to know when you may have to use new sequences or tactics against your opponent. But lamenting it or worrying about it is a waste of time.   Taking the same attitude to every point will enable you to make that smash when it is 5-0 or when it is 9-10.  Playing differently based on the score will lead you to play passive, not take your shots and feel scared.  Practice and take your shots.  But if you don't practice, don't complain about your inconsistency.  And if you miss, accept it, move on, and play another match/game.  Luck is a part of this game too, and so is missing.  If you miss with effort, you can learn to make adjustments.  If you miss with fear, or don't take your shots, you will never have a chance to make them.

Knowing your stress profile and when you need breaks (after ball busting points) is key too.

From a tactical perspective, focus on serve, receive, thirdball and fourth ball almost exclusively and treat the rallies as largely accidents (unless you are losing them and therefore want to avoid them). If you focus on the first four shots, patterns almost always emerge that you can use to set yourself up better. If you can find a pattern to work with, it makes playing much easier and focused. It helps with the question of how to play the point, and takes your mind off all those things that do not matter.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/27/2015 at 2:44pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:36pm
Seems to me that you are probably concerned a lot about what other people think.  So I think you need to either figure out how not to care about that or else distract yourself from the fact that many people are watching. You need to tune the crowd out.  
Ideas to try:

1) Sing a song internally. That distracts your conscious brain and maybe you can't think about spectators.

2) Suck on hard candy.  Again.  Something to distract/occupy the conscious brain.

3) Develop preparation rituals and stick to them.  Going through the rituals helps to establish a consistent mindset.  While this e-book is more like an article than a book and pricey per word at $5, it may be worth it to just for the list of considerations and the structure it provides.  It's less than the cost of three balls.

4) Take slow deep breaths (not panting) between points to relax.  Take stock of any body tightness and release that tension.  Bounce on your toes.

5) Keep playing the tournaments.  Repetition helps.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:16pm
Appreciate the responses. I definitely agree that I'm likely taking the practice nights way too seriously and working way more on my strengths than my weaknesses, while the kids are more smartly using those nights to test the waters with their development. I guess my nature is to always want to win at the cost of using the time to focus more on the things that plague me on tournament nights.

Also appreciate the books/articles on sports psychology and performance anxiety as this is an area that's troubled me with all sports, not just table tennis. I definitely have huge respect to folks who can remain calm, tune everyone else out, and focus on what needs to be done when the opposition has the momentum.

Edited by FinalFight - 01/27/2015 at 3:28pm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:18pm
Some people perform better on stage, some don't. In your case I suggest you don't make eye contact with spectators. You shouldn't care what they think, it's just you, your opponent, the table, and the ball. When the match ends, you can look at everyone's reaction.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:24pm
In the worst case, I have known people who are easily startled by sharp sounds to wear earplugs, cheap ones that still allow you to hear the balls hit the blade a bit.   
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:37pm
You know how people sometimes ask or joke 'what would Jesus do' in this situation? You can laugh, but sometimes when I am shaken in a critical situation I try to imagine what would Zhang JiKe do in this situation. What kind of face would he put for this point. How aggressive would he be. Like what I am up 10:9, after I was up 10:5 and lost 4 in a row and now im defending the last game point. It really cools down my panic.
However that will not work for everybody and certainly it wont work for Ma Long fans or people not familiar with ZJK and his clutch performance. But if you start monitoring your own self you will notice that some things cool you off. Try to remember those things and play them in your head before a critical point.
By the way, that problem exists for most people regardless of you level. Even pros can't keep it cool. I read in this guy's blog recently that the only reason Waldner and ZJK never seem shaken is because they suffer from the GOD (superiority) complex. They always believe that they are better than their opponent and they can come back no matter what the score. Whatever works, I say. If I played like Waldner or ZJK, I would most definitely have God complex as well :)
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Some people perform better on stage, some don't. In your case I suggest you don't make eye contact with spectators. You shouldn't care what they think, it's just you, your opponent, the table, and the ball. When the match ends, you can look at everyone's reaction.

Yeah.  The eye contact bit is important.  Also, no chatting. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:52pm
playing more competitions should help
some things like pick the side that is opposite the crowd in game 1
have some strategy 
have a good time
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic