FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NEW Yasaka ROSE 5 (Goiabao 5) review!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW Yasaka ROSE 5 (Goiabao 5) review!
    Posted: 02/04/2015 at 8:31pm
Yasaka's Goiabao 5 was released this past December in China and I found it on taobao.  I do not know if they plan to release this blade in North America, but I would certainly hope they do!

From some Chinese forums and the Chinese stock description, it seems the Yasaka Goiabao 5 is also referred to as the Rose 5, similar to Stiga Rosewood V.  Goiabao is a South American hardwood that is actually denser than Rosewood but not as dense as Ebony, all of which is harder than its predecessor, the YEO (walnut).  Yasaka China's marketing claims this to be the upgrade for the YEO and the continuation of Ma Lin's legacy of blades for the plastic ball era, citing that they haven't released any new Ma Lin style blades for about 7 years now, and it was time for the (google-translate-worded) "Return of the King."  LOL

My Goiabao 5 arrived today and I plan to do a full written and video review.  I've just assembled it and will be taking it to a training camp later this evening to see how it plays!  It appears to be the same material as the YEO with the exception of the outer ply (goiabao-spruce-ayous-spruce-goiabao) with a slightly thicker core.  From initial bouncing and feeling, I anticipate this to be the lovechild of the Stiga Rosewood and Yasaka Extra Offensive born for the plastic ball Tongue.  Yasaka rates this 5 ply all-wood blade at a whopping OFF+ Shocked

Here are some pictures to tie everyone over until I get to fully test it out!  The quality from Yasaka on this blade is PHENOMENAL - measures nearly perfectly flat (+/- 0.03mm) and 6.13mm thick, and the finish was flawless.  I was hoping for a heavier blade closer to 90g, but the one I received weighed 83g.  The handle is more tapered than YEO, more like the Rosewood V's handle in shape.  The handle color and design also is more like Stiga's instead of the Ma Lin style gray handle.  But unfortunately, like its Stiga counterpart, sanding was necessary to adhere water based glue properly... I took some pictures before that.

Edited by schen - 02/05/2015 at 6:39am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 8:53pm
nice initial impression Steven.  So how does one pronounce the name of this new blade?

Go - I - A - Bao?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 8:58pm
I am not entirely sure. Based on an internet pronounciation tool, it may be goi-a-ba-o

Dynasty / H3 / H3
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 9:21pm
I'm sure the balance is better than Stiga's...Does this series have same headsize & handle dimensions as YEOs?
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 9:35pm
schen, this is only for the chinese market, right?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 11:05pm
Pingpongholic - same exact dimensions :)

Yogi - currently it seems like it - i don't know if they have any plans to release it in NA, we have to import it for now

Dynasty / H3 / H3
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 2:03am
I never really liked Stiga's rosewood blades, from the V to VII to CRW, but wow what a wonderful blade Yasaka has made.  The Goiabao 5 is something special.

I just got back from an adult training camp with Stellan Bengtsson, and had a chance to really give the blade a work out.  Here are my first impressions compared to other popular/similar cpen blades:

Feel:
Delightfully crispy when the wood is engaged, similar to RW5.  It feels very solid with the largest sweet spot I've felt on a 5-ply blade, similar to what you might expect from a 7-ply blade like the YES or a clipper, but with much more feedback to boot!  The feeling actually reminds me a lot of how the YEO felt with the old celluloid ball, except stiffer.  This may be one of the few examples of manufacturers making good on their marketing claims of upgrading equipment for the plastic ball without completely going in a different direction Shocked

The YEO had a muted feel in comparison unless you hit really hard, whereas I could feel the Goiabao 5 (referred to as G5 from here on) much more clearly with little effort.  That's not to say that the YEO feels dull - far from it, but the G5 clearly feels like an upgrade by comparison.  

G5 is stiffer than Stiga's RW5 which gives it better touch at the table in my opinion.  It is more flexible than the Ebenholz series and the 7-ply versions of Stiga's hardwood blades.

-----

Drives/Flat Hits/Blocks:

Very well behaved - throws the ball at a medium low angle similar to the Ma Lin Carbon, lower/straighter than the YEO.  Smashes really well with true OFF+ speed, and blocking was among the best of any blades I've used, even with traditional backhand which is not my strong suit.  My backhand punch however sometimes trailed a little long with T05, but with the traditional punch using TG2 things were very nicely controlled.

Blocking/punching control:
MLC > IZLC = G5 > Clipper > RW5 = YEO > YES

Flat-hit speed:
IZLC > G5 > Clipper > YES > YEO > RW5 > MLC

-----

Service and Short Game:

G5 was a little bouncier than YEO and RW5, but for the most part no drastic technique adjustments were needed to use the G5 well.  I felt I could perhaps generate a bit more spin with the YEO and RW5 on serves because of their slight flex in comparison, but it is mostly negligible.

Backhand flips with the G5 were wonderful with T05, although I was a little uncomfortable with the 6.1mm thickness for the FH flips after being accustomed to the 5.5, 5.6, and 5.9mm thicknesses of blades like MLC, IZLC, and YEO.  This is not a fault of the blade by any means, it is just something to get used to.

Service control:
YEO > MLC > G5 > RW5 > YES > IZLC > Clipper

Push/dropshot control:
YEO > G5 > YES > MLC = IZLC > RW5 > Clipper

BH Flips control:
G5 = IZLC > MLC > YEO > RW5 > YES > Clipper

FH Flips control:
IZLC > YEO > MLC > YES > G5 > RW5 > Clipper

-----

Loop against block:

FH looping at mid-distance is very satisfying.  The pace on the ball rivals that of Butterfly ZLC blades, and the G5 is no slouch when it comes to generating topspin with Chinese rubber either.  The G5 requires a bit of a faster swing than most of the other blades I've compared it to in order to generate enough arc to land on the table, similar to the IZLC... otherwise the ball has a tendency to just float away with a lazy-swing.

FH Loop Speed:
G5 > IZLC > YES > Clipper > RW5 = YEO > MLC

FH Loop Spin:
YES = IZLC > G5 = Clipper > MLC > YEO > RW5

FH Loop Control:
MLC > YES = G5 > Clipper > YEO > IZLC > RW5

BH loops were great off-the-bounce close to the table, but I struggled a bit at the mid distance to consistently create speedy loops with T05.  I found myself brushing a lot to keep the ball on the table, where with previous Yasaka blades I could rip the ball with great confidence.  T05 has been my go to backhand rubber for lower throwing blades, but the G5 seems accentuate T05's high throw to the point where I'm losing control.  I want to put my current favorite BH rubber Agrit Speed on it, but I'm afraid that anything lighter than T05 will make this 83g blade too light for me.  I may have to place another order for a heavier one to possibly remedy this Embarrassed.  I forgot to mention that the total setup weight with TG2 and T05 with the TG2 cut to cpen FH is about 177-178g.  My ideal weight is closer to 183-184g.

BH Loops at the table (control):
MLC = G5 > IZLC > YEO > YES > RW5 > Clipper

BH Loops at mid-distance (control):
YEO = MLC > IZLC > RW5 > Clipper = G5 > YES

-----

That's it for now - I didn't get a chance to thoroughly compare the blades I have when it comes to looping under spin or counter-looping today despite playing a couple matches that involved those shots.  I haven't found much fault with the G5 yet other than personal nitpicking for specific blade weights/rubber combinations.  I will be posting more about this blade later as I try it some more, as well as uploading my video review once it's complete!

Edited by schen - 02/05/2015 at 2:16am

Dynasty / H3 / H3
patwhall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patwhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 4:53pm
I don't know how this blade play but what kind of name is Goiabao?

Whoever in marketing department came up with this name deserved to be fired.  
If they want to sell this blade in China, they better come up with a snappy name. 
This name sounds bad in Chinese. 
DHS W997, H3 BS, FX-P
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 6:26pm
Well it wouldn't be the first time they changed the name of a product, just like the Allround 40 was slightly tweaked and became the Extra Offensive.  Goiabao is just the name of wood on the outer ply.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2015 at 5:53pm
Hi friend, I'm searching hard blade,I'm using Chinese rubber too and like hard blade with ayous core I ever use stiga rosewood 7,sense7.6, carbo7.6 yes it's all good for top spin but for me not enough strength I want something harder for more accurate flat drive can u compare this yasaka with my previous like gergely alpha, stiga rosewood 7,sense7.6, carbo7.6 in term of hardness and speed, so thank u
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2015 at 7:12pm
I do not have experience with sense 7.6 or gergely alpha, but I can tell you the speed is comparable to carbo 7.6 and RW7, maybe a hair slower.

Yasaka G5 is also thinner than the 7 ply blades you mentioned and more flexible while still being harder than carbo 7.6.  G5 is also more direct on flat drives than any of the blades you mentioned so I think you might like it.  I have a G5 cpen for sale in my sale thread, and PingPongHolic10 recently acquired one from me too, so maybe he can share his experiences with it.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2015 at 7:51pm
Thankful, Yeah sounds like ok for me, actually I like my hard rock normal gergely but recently I try several stiga blade and love it because of (stiga feel)I guess because of feeling ayous core it's very good top spin but not enough hard+stability for me like my japan blade so I'm looking some japan brand wit ayous core, my rubber is h3neo nation +tg05 just amateur player, not much experience in equipment too, u guys pls suggest me other hard blades with ayous core (off-off+)moreover yasaka g5 too

Edited by jomtack - 02/18/2015 at 8:13pm
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2015 at 7:54pm
I found yasaka ma lin hard carbon, yeo7 power is interested too, someone has experienced these blade can suggest too
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2015 at 8:34pm
Those two blades are the same from what I understand.  Hard, stiff, and fast but not bouncy so you'll still get good control in the short game.  It doesn't have that "stiga"/ayous feel though like the other blades we were talking about.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2015 at 9:21pm
ok but it's ayous core isn't?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2015 at 12:48am
I'm not sure... probably, but it doesn't have a similar feel.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 4:20pm
Thanks u, I'll try with my h3neo nat, now I try my h3neo nation with gergely alpha but woww very uncontrol so I'll try something lower like this

Edited by jomtack - 02/25/2015 at 4:26pm
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by patwhall patwhall wrote:

I don't know how this blade play but what kind of name is Goiabao?

Whoever in marketing department came up with this name deserved to be fired.  
If they want to sell this blade in China, they better come up with a snappy name. 
This name sounds bad in Chinese. 

a popular plywood, hard, dense used for flooring in China comes from S. America
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 8:47am
Review is up on my blog...

Excellent Cpen blade!!!
My FS/FT

jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by PingPongHolic10 PingPongHolic10 wrote:

Review is up on my blog...

Excellent Cpen blade!!!

Pls share your blog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 1:55pm
Limited Edition Xu Xin G5 (3D Lens)!!! =P

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 03/09/2015 at 1:56pm
My FS/FT

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 3:18pm
convenient how the stiga lens can just pop into the yasaka slot haha

jomtack, here is PPH's wonderful blog

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 11:27pm
I have a JTTAA Clipper CR WRB that has a Yasaka Logo at the end of the handle...got it like this from original owner, now not sure if he glued it there...lol

FYI, Schen: the Xu Xin Lens is 3D!!! Limited!!!

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 03/09/2015 at 11:28pm
My FS/FT

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 3:31pm
Yasaka Goiabao is available at TT11 for 41.58EUR.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 4:35pm
much better price than from China.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
shaame View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 1:13pm
Tested the blade today with H3 Neo on FH and Skyline 3-60 on BH both boosted with Haifu Seamoon Booster. The weight is 88g st.
Kinda funny that they rate it as off+, because i find it a little slower than my current setup.

Edited by shaame - 09/05/2015 at 1:23pm
H 3 Neo 2.2//Xiom Offensive S\\Xiom Vega Pro 2.0
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 2:21pm
I play with short pips and after playing long time with clippers now i m playing with donic otcharov senso v1 that is thinner and walnut outer plies seems to have better overall performance but the handle is thin and i wonder if the g5 would play like this blade since i like the yasaka handle better.schen is it stiffer than v1?
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

much better price than from China.

Would you say it's overall better than YEO and Extra Offensive 7 Power (if you have tried it)???
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 2:25am
I've tried both, I wouldn't compare it to the YEO7 Power though because this is still an all wood blade.

From what I remember, it feels harder and stiffer than the YEO, and is also thicker.  I felt like the YEO was more controllable for me when it came to looping because of its better flex, but the G5 was much more controllable in more direct hits like blocking and driving.  

For those who feel the YEO is a bit flimsy, the G5 will be the answer.  For others who feel that the YEO is too springy, the G5 will feel like a (lightweight) brick with little spin.  I don't think one is universally better than the other, but the G5 is certainly faster.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 3:35am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

I do not have experience with sense 7.6 or gergely alpha, but I can tell you the speed is comparable to carbo 7.6 and RW7, maybe a hair slower.

Yasaka G5 is also thinner than the 7 ply blades you mentioned and more flexible while still being harder than carbo 7.6.  G5 is also more direct on flat drives than any of the blades you mentioned so I think you might like it.  I have a G5 cpen for sale in my sale thread, and PingPongHolic10 recently acquired one from me too, so maybe he can share his experiences with it.

Schen why are you selling this blade?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic