FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Tomokazu Harimoto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2017 at 9:56am
Harimoto is 13 in ITTF ranking. incredible. will he get in TOP 10 in next few month? Can he beat top CNT players?
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Harimoto is 13 in ITTF ranking. incredible. will he get in TOP 10 in next few month? Can he beat top CNT players?

I like him. I'm very interested to see him playing against ML, FZD, XX, or anyone else from that level.
Nittaku S5 Cpen + T05 & Fastarc S1
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2017 at 9:22pm
I think it will be very interesting to see if he can maintain the same level once he grows taller, a lot of juniors struggle after they get taller.
Blade: BBC Hinoki Ghost
FH: Black Fastarc G-1
BH: Red Fastarc g-1
My Feedback
AntSj00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntSj00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 5:12am
I really love Young Guns like FZD, Harimoto, Hirano, & Ito
* Viscaria FL + H3P neo + T05fx *
- Enjoy Your Life & Play Table Tennis -
danseemiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 7:13am
Harimoto in Table tennis could be like Tiger Woods was in golf. A level or two above the field someday.

DS
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 8:51am
The real open question is whether the Japanese table tennis establishment is able and will create an environment that will allow Harimoto to continue his development to the highest level in the world.  To date, they have not done so historically.  Again and again you observe Japanese development to some, very impressive, high level, yet inferior to the Chinese.  Can this be transcended now?

I have enormous faith in Harimoto's parents, their effectiveness here, to this point in development, is striking.  This type of parental intervention and guidance can thrive up to and through the adolescent stages.  Post these periods, a new environment is needed, one that fosters the highest standards.

When I was on the coaching staff at the Werner Schlager Academy, I watched Fan and Lin and others, in closed door sessions, in their first year with the National team.  They have improved very significantly since that time, due to the environment the Chinese know how to create.  To repeat: Can the Japanese do the same for Harimoto?
Donn
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 9:50am
It's gonna be hard, if possible at all. To be like Ma Long and FZD, you need to practice with players at the level of Xu Xin and Fang Bo all the time. And China has lots of Xu Xin's and Fang Bo's. On the other hand, what does Japan have, other than Mitsutani and Niwa? And I'm pretty sure Japan's system doesn't, and can't force those two into sparring partners in the first place!

Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

The real open question is whether the Japanese table tennis establishment is able and will create an environment that will allow Harimoto to continue his development to the highest level in the world.  To date, they have not done so historically.  Again and again you observe Japanese development to some, very impressive, high level, yet inferior to the Chinese.  Can this be transcended now?

I have enormous faith in Harimoto's parents, their effectiveness here, to this point in development, is striking.  This type of parental intervention and guidance can thrive up to and through the adolescent stages.  Post these periods, a new environment is needed, one that fosters the highest standards.

When I was on the coaching staff at the Werner Schlager Academy, I watched Fan and Lin and others, in closed door sessions, in their first year with the National team.  They have improved very significantly since that time, due to the environment the Chinese know how to create.  To repeat: Can the Japanese do the same for Harimoto?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 9:59am
Check out what Japan has achieved with badminton, after hiring former Olympic Doubles gold medalist, Park Joo-bong of South Korea, as the head coach.

Edited by zeio - 09/08/2017 at 10:01am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 10:07am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Check out what Japan has achieved with badminton, after hiring former Olympic Doubles gold medalist, Park Joo-bong of South Korea, as the head coach.

That or China has declined in badminton. The fact Lin Dan is still a top player tells you a lot. If Ma Long still dominates FZD and all the other Chinese players in 5 years, then Harimoto might have a chance   
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

It's gonna be hard, if possible at all. To be like Ma Long and FZD, you need to practice with players at the level of Xu Xin and Fang Bo all the time. And China has lots of Xu Xin's and Fang Bo's. On the other hand, what does Japan have, other than Mitsutani and Niwa? And I'm pretty sure Japan's system doesn't, and can't force those two into sparring partners in the first place!

how Mizutani become Mizutani? he had practice partners at level of Xu Xin and Fang Bo?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 10:31am
Even back then China was never as dominant in badminton as in table tennis.

Japan has been on the rise since before the London Olypmics, when China was at an all-time high. Park has brought about a slew of changes to the JNT, the most significant being training camp at the national training center. Their players never trained together as a team. Japan table tennis is doing the same thing now.

Edited by zeio - 09/08/2017 at 10:35am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 11:14am

Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

how Mizutani become Mizutani? he had practice partners at level of Xu Xin and Fang Bo?

No, of course he didn't have XX's and FB's to practice with. That's why he's a level below ML and FZD. In fact, he's like half a level below XX. What happened in Rio was an upset
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 11:17am
So they're forcing players into concentrated labor, I mean training camps. That's good. That's how you get good in TT or badminton.

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Even back then China was never as dominant in badminton as in table tennis.

Japan has been on the rise since before the London Olypmics, when China was at an all-time high. Park has brought about a slew of changes to the JNT, the most significant being training camp at the national training center. Their players never trained together as a team. Japan table tennis is doing the same thing now.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 1:35pm
I paid attention he is blinking all the time. maybe he has eyes problem or using contact lenses ...
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 1:45pm
Harimoto seems to be losing almost every match in the latest round of T2APAC. What's going on? Other players adapting maybe?
viscaria - mxp max, fh & bh (oct 2017) - 2015 video
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Harimoto seems to be losing almost every match in the latest round of T2APAC. What's going on? Other players adapting maybe?

he beat Mizutani just right now
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:01pm
There are plenty of disadvantages of being 14 compared to a man. Other players are likelier to be smarter players and adjust faster etc. as well as be more developed in so many ways, that's why his results are so scary good.

MJ etc. have probably played with him a lot, both being Japanese NT members. Harimoto has had plenty of time to adjust and become very familiar with him, and what works. Its a long struggle to the top, slight dips in form here and there, adjusting to winning when you aren't playing well, becomes easier with age. We've seen it with Hirano and her alleged mental struggles.

Edited by Basquests - 10/08/2017 at 5:02pm
wilkinru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 11:34am
I worry about his development now. If he was playing juniors he would be playing a very offensive game and almost always able to get the first offensive shot in. He could work on this aspect of his game. Instead he's up against seasoned pros who often put him under serious pressure. I feel like Harimoto is often just trying to block down these pros. To his credit he can do this and win matches. In a way that's a problem. Having success blocking down Timo Boll (in a final no less) will just encourage him to play passive. He'll never beat the Chinese with that mind set.

I hope his team starts becoming critical on how he wins matches against players outside of the top 100.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 2:08pm
I wouldn’t worry about his development.
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 2:22pm
i geuss you never watch zhang jike playing the other chinese players when he was winning.he is a very good blocker

Edited by patrick1v - 10/09/2017 at 2:26pm
kindof99 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 2:53pm

I paid attention he is blinking all the time. maybe he has eyes problem or using contact lenses ...

His father blinks the same way. It is in his genes

Edited by kindof99 - 10/09/2017 at 2:53pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

I worry about his development now. If he was playing juniors he would be playing a very offensive game and almost always able to get the first offensive shot in. He could work on this aspect of his game. Instead he's up against seasoned pros who often put him under serious pressure. I feel like Harimoto is often just trying to block down these pros. To his credit he can do this and win matches. In a way that's a problem. Having success blocking down Timo Boll (in a final no less) will just encourage him to play passive. He'll never beat the Chinese with that mind set.

I hope his team starts becoming critical on how he wins matches against players outside of the top 100.

he needs a personal coach or 2. most japanese top players has personal coaches
VladCeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladCeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2017 at 3:01am

Tomokazu Harimoto and Hirano Miu are announced to participate in the 2018 YOG Continental Qualification - Asia 3-5/11/2017

wilkinru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2017 at 5:20pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcIMSPcAgms

It's almost like he read my previous comments about being passive against top players. He was attacking and controlling his serve rather well on the first 2 games. It dropped a little after that and he will be able to review that and come back stronger. I'm pretty sure his coaching staff knows all of this and is making sure he comes out with offense first.

He had some nerves in there too but only because the match was so close.  He's improving a lot.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2017 at 5:29pm
Harimoto played really great against Xu Xin. Exposed Xu Xin's backhand as weak time and time again. Xu Xin's forehand flip is also more often hesitant and tentative than not - and Xu Xin needs it to work, as the kid has excellent short game touch. And in longer rallies Harimoto was even blocking him down. Any next time they meet, it would not surprise me if Harimoto won decisively.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2017 at 8:17pm
I also noticed that Harimoto won some of the forehand to forehand loop exchanges. If and when they meet again, I favor Harimoto. XX does fine against Chinese players, but comparatively weak against non Chinese. LGL was right to be critical of XX.

Harimoto's progression has been nothing short of fantastic. If he continues on this trajectory, gold at the Tokyo Olympics is possible for him.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 12:50am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

LGL was right to be critical of XX.
Xu Xin has suffered with the big plastic ball. His loops are less deadly now. And he has not improved his backhand to the level of Wang Hao (or even Wong Chunting). And he doesn't have the forehand flip skills of Ma Lin. Even with his weaknesses, he's still good enough to beat 90% of the pros.
shinimai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinimai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 10:22pm
Harimoto injured?
Change my username please!!
Blade: Palio ENERGY 03
BH: YASAKA NEW ERA/ Butterfly Sriver EL
FH: Hurricane 3 / Yinhe Mercury
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by shinimai shinimai wrote:

Harimoto injured?

because he was defeated?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 7:04am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by shinimai shinimai wrote:

Harimoto injured?

because he was defeated?

jackwong23's excuse has caught up with Harimoto. He is injured for real. It's claimed he injured his right shoulder at the Swedish Open.

He will skip over the WJTTC later this month and will use the time to prepare for the Grand Final.

http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/13917902/
Quote 2回戦で敗れた17日のワールドツアー、スウェーデン・オープン後に右肩痛を訴え、関係者は「少し不安があるということ。大事を取って世界ジュニアには出場しない」と説明した。
 ワールドツアーの上位選手が出場するグランド・ファイナル(12月14日開幕、カザフスタン)には出場予定で、国内で調整を進める。

Edited by zeio - 11/20/2017 at 7:11am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic