Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Too little glue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too little glue?
    Posted: 02/22/2015 at 5:30pm
I recently glued a new rubber, and I used a piece foam to spread the glue around.  It wasn't the standard foam...it seemed to be more absorbent than the foam that comes with the glue (finezip).  The result was that the foam soaked up more glue than I was used to, and the layers of glue I spread on the sponge and the blade were micro-thin.  I don't think I've ever spread as thin a layer of glue as i did on the sponge.  But I didn't pay no mind b/c lots of people say the make it as thin as possible.  But playing with the rubber is annoying me now.  very "BONKY" and I feel the woodiness of the blade...the "plankiness" if you will, much more than I like.  So, is it possible to use too little glue as it is to use too much?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 8:14pm
In my opinion, there definitely is such a thing as too little glue. On new rubbers, I apply ~4 very thin layers of latex glue. On rubbers with glue already on them, I would apply at least 2 thin layers. Once a rubber has ~10 layers I would take it off. Another factor which is important, is to put the paddle in a press for a couple of hours (either commercial one, or a homemade one using a couple of thin books and four 2" spring clamps). Finally, paddles in which the have been sealed, have a tendency to result in poor adherence of the rubbers. In this case, simply use some fine-grip sand paper, lightly sand the blade, and proceed as described above. Following these protocols fixed matters for me.    

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 02/22/2015 at 8:17pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 8:15pm
It might be that you simply aren't as used to the feeling of a thin layer of glue
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 5:43pm
In my opinion you get a better touch with a pretty thick layer of glue. It can be different from rubber to rubber but that what I have experienced. Smile
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 5:46pm
Next time use a credit card.  Even coat and non-absorbent.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 5:52pm
Yeah using your credit card is very helpful, gives it a thick smooth layer! 
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Next time use a credit card.  Even coat and non-absorbent.

this is the smartest thing I've ever read... i hate how absorbent the sponges are for applying glue and i'm only comfortable gluing once they've absorbed quite a bit.

Click the picture for feedback ^
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 8:28pm
update - I think the rubber I bought was mis-packaged.  It was supposed to be Ten 64 2.1, but I think it was 1.9.  I took some pics and emailed to retailer and they are replacing it.  Has this happened to any of you guys out there?  Got a mis-packaged rubber?
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 8:57pm
I've had mispackaged tenergy but it was an 80 in my 05. not a thickness. didn't even cut it so they sent me another and asked for the 80 back

Click the picture for feedback ^
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:41am
Usually two thin layers is fine on the rubber for the first time. I also have never clamped it or anything, just apply and go and play. If you have sealant on the blade, this can create problems with adherence. Obviously, make sure the glue had dried. Don't apply if it's still white! In this case, you would definitely need clamping.

Another thing: after the rubber was glued once, to reglue it to another blade, I never add more glue to the rubber. It's already a bit sticky from previous gluing. Just glue the blade and roll the rubber on. Golden. 

I'm surprised to hear people like the feeling of so many layers of glue! 
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic