FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Paddle advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AngryHumanoid View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngryHumanoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paddle advice
    Posted: 02/24/2015 at 1:43pm
Hi all, so I am in need of my first serious paddle to replace the Stiga I was using as a beginner.  I have some thoughts from my research on paddle/rubber/play style recommendations but I haven’t found anything too specific to my style so I was hoping to get some advice from those who are far more knowledgeable than myself.

So: I am a lefty shakehold player.  I'm on the short side and tend to favor playing close to the table.  When I serve it is mostly a forehand pendulum style serve, with varieties of spin depending on play (single/doubles, opponent style, etc).  Sometimes I use a standard backhand serve with some sidespin as a quick change-up.  When it comes to returns my absolute favorite is a heavy backhand topspin, this is what I would like to build my offensive game on.  In doubles I play a bit more conservatively, mostly sending back softer returns just to keep it on the table but when I attack I like the backhand topspin.  I also occasionally (try) to set myself up for a killer forehand spike since most of the people I play against aren’t used to a strong lefty forehand spike.

So with all that in mind my research (I think) says I should want a fast, wood blade.  I was thinking a 729 Bomb (not sure if links are allowed, if so: https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=fr-729-bomb).  For rubbers I am less sure, it generally goes forehand/backhand but for what I want I think of it as a good rubber on one side for my pendulum serves and another for my topspin backhands.  Since for both it's a question of spin (right?) I assume I could use the same rubber for both (serve with it FH then turn the paddle over to use the same rubber for the BH returns).  If I was doing that I was thinking a DHS TG Skyline 3 Neo rubber (https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=dhs-skyline-3-neo).  I now have no idea what rubber to put on the other side.  Am I wrong in my thinking?  Would I want a different rubber for the serves than the topspin BH?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

TL:DR - short lefthanded player who likes pendulum serves with spin and aggressive topspin backhand returns, need advice on a blade/rubbers. 729 Bomb with DHS TG Skyline 3?
Sponsored Links

NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 2:00pm
palio legend :)

Click the picture for feedback ^
roypnoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roypnoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 2:07pm
www.fastpaddle.com for competitive pricing on blades and rubber.  They don't have the 729 Bomb blade but they have an assortment of DHS blades and rubber for a very low price.

I currently have DHS PG7 with TG3 NEO (fh) and TNT (bh).  I tried my friends 729 Bomb blade it feels a bit slow.

S2 | Virtuoso | M3
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 2:20pm
i have a 729 Bomb. You can't go wrong with it. currently im using a hayabusa zxi and use bomb as my backup paddle.  Get atleast one omega IV pro, if not both, you won't regret it. It's Durability is beyond science.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngryHumanoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 5:43pm
@asifgunz, is the Omega IV Pro better for my preferred serves or responses, or would be be good for both?  That's the part I'm not entirely understanding: whether I should get a specific rubber to suit one or the other or just generic "good all around" rubbers on both sides.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 9:08pm
some reviews on TTDB on this blade with rubber suggestions:

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/729-bomb.html

also cole has a number of blades and rubbers that might fit your budget.  here is his online address, he would be worth a call to discuss what options might work for U.

http://www.colestt.com/wood-blades.php

Edited by lineup32 - 02/24/2015 at 9:36pm
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by AngryHumanoid AngryHumanoid wrote:

@asifgunz, is the Omega IV Pro better for my preferred serves or responses, or would be be good for both?  That's the part I'm not entirely understanding: whether I should get a specific rubber to suit one or the other or just generic "good all around" rubbers on both sides.

Mr. Humanoid . I never had problem returning serves with OIV Pro. Most club level players struggle to return my serve though. Even though the rubber isn't known for adding heavy spin in serves, I believe technique can make do. Personally, it does everything. Loop, smash; its a block and push machine. Mind you i use max, believe its 2.4 on both sides. I just hold the paddle and let the carbo sponge do it's work. Most players tell me to stick to 1.8-2 but my whole life I've been playing max. I'm 22 now. Been playing since 12.
word of advice: I'm 5'10. I force myself to stay low to the table. The ball will stays low as well. This thing is kind of bouncy if you've never used a tensor before. Just rally with it and you'll find your rhythm. True for most rubbers.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngryHumanoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 12:39pm
@lineup32, thanks for the info.  My budget is pretty flexible, I was just sticking to lower priced items because it seemed silly to invest in a few hundred dollars of paddle until my skill level rose to the point where I felt it would give me a needed advantage over just practicing more =-)

@asifgunz, thanks, that's good info.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 12:49pm
Cole - I am told is very helpful with beginners.
Another option is to ask around your club for players who might be selling used equipment. This is a great way to test and buy different blades. I remember trying about 10 different blade/rubber combination before finding something I liked. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic