FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Combination composite blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combination composite blade?
    Posted: 02/25/2015 at 12:00pm
a hypothetical…

Lets say i take a Timo Boll T5000 and take one of the T5000 carbon layer and replace it with an ALC layer and the remainder of the blade stays the same. 
How much would that affect the playing characteristic of the side with T5000 carbon layer? Would it still play like the original blade or would it alter the fell and playing characteristic significantly?

What if we do this to one of the outer or inner layers of wood?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 12:11pm
See if you can figure it out from CCY's recent match videos.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

See if you can figure it out from CCY's recent match videos.

Ya that's where the question comes from... as a sp inverted player I just wonder if I would be better off with a combination blade... because my bh would improve with softer carbon layer

Edited by JohnnyChop - 02/25/2015 at 7:55pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:42pm
One thing for certain is that it won't play the same, otherwise why bother?  Will it be as significant as having different rubbers on either side?  Probably yes, otherwise why bother?

The easiest way to tell is buy one and try.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 2:03am
we got ourselves a mad scientist here.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 4:17am
My experience is, that the difference will be not as big as you think (or wish).

Two years ago I started a similar project, because I wanted a composite blade with a harder feeling on one side and a softer feeling on the other side. So I contacted one of the german manufacturers (http://www.tischtennis-manufaktur.de) and we talked about my thoughts. In our first conversation he told me, that it is not possible to separate the feeling 100% and that the feeling will not be extremely different. We decided to use aramid (similar to arylate) on one side and aramid-carbon on the other side, but also a different kind of glue(ing) on both sides.

redwood / aramid (soft glued) / limba / ayous / limba / aramid-carbon (hard glued) / redwood

Here is the result of our project:

Although I still like my "Tiger", the feeling is not sooo different between both sides.
I think, it`s easier to get a different feeling, if you use different outer veneers.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 5:17am
That matches what the physics would suggest.

The blade as a solid object acts more like a cohesive block than the layering scheme many EJs prefer to think of it as. Doing anything that makes the whole thing stiffer, well, makes the whole thing more elastic.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 6:45am
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Doing anything that makes the whole thing stiffer, well, makes the whole thing more elastic.
Stiffer = more elastic?
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 6:56am
Yes. That's how 'solids' roll.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 8:02am
Sieht das super aus !!!

Uh, oh yeah, that is one good lookin' blade too.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

My experience is, that the difference will be not as big as you think (or wish).

Two years ago I started a similar project, because I wanted a composite blade with a harder feeling on one side and a softer feeling on the other side. So I contacted one of the german manufacturers (http://www.tischtennis-manufaktur.de) and we talked about my thoughts. In our first conversation he told me, that it is not possible to separate the feeling 100% and that the feeling will not be extremely different. We decided to use aramid (similar to arylate) on one side and aramid-carbon on the other side, but also a different kind of glue(ing) on both sides.

redwood / aramid (soft glued) / limba / ayous / limba / aramid-carbon (hard glued) / redwood

Here is the result of our project:

Although I still like my "Tiger", the feeling is not sooo different between both sides.
I think, it`s easier to get a different feeling, if you use different outer veneers.

Ya thanks for the info, i think if i do go down this route ill have to use different wood too…!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic