FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Has Tenergy been surpassed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has Tenergy been surpassed?
    Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:03pm
So, what are your opinions? Are there any rubbers out there which for you are more advantageous to play with than a Tenergy (taking price completely out of the equation).

Most players still swear by Tenergy, but this could easily come down to force of habit, marketing, reluctance to try something new, hype.

I personally play with Adidas P7 and when I had the chance to spend a few 3 hr training sessions with Tenergy 05 and 05FX - I felt the Adidas P7 was more reliable and would not switch.

There are several players who have spoken highly and switched to the Tibhar Evolution series (which is possibly Tenergy's main rival).

Donic Bluefire (M series and JP series) also have gathered good following as do XIOM Omega and Sigma series.  Yasaka Rakza series has to be considered too. Joola MAXXX and Rasant maybe but I think Rasant is not as good (don't know about Joola Maxxx)

So what's your take, which of the alternatives do you like and do you prefer any rubber to a Tenergy (omitting price concerns) ?
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Sponsored Links

right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

So, what are your opinions? Are there any rubbers out there which for you are more advantageous to play with than a Tenergy (taking price completely out of the equation).

Most players still swear by Tenergy, but this could easily come down to force of habit, marketing, reluctance to try something new, hype.

I personally play with Adidas P7 and when I had the chance to spend a few 3 hr training sessions with Tenergy 05 and 05FX - I felt the Adidas P7 was more reliable and would not switch.

There are several players who have spoken highly and switched to the Tibhar Evolution series (which is possibly Tenergy's main rival).

Donic Bluefire (M series and JP series) also have gathered good following as do XIOM Omega and Sigma series.  Yasaka Rakza series has to be considered too. Joola MAXXX and Rasant maybe but I think Rasant is not as good (don't know about Joola Maxxx)

So what's your take, which of the alternatives do you like and do you prefer any rubber to a Tenergy (omitting price concerns) ?
Depends on the individual , and in my personal opinion there are are variety of rubbers similar or better quality than Tenergies as long as you can find the right sponge density and feel. 
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by right2niru right2niru wrote:

Depends on the individual , and in my personal opinion there are are variety of rubbers similar or better quality than Tenergies as long as you can find the right sponge density and feel. 

Agreed, and which would they be for you? As I said for me Adidas P7 is better than Tenergy and I would never switch, Rassant Stiga Calibra or XIOM Vega for example are NOT.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Originally posted by right2niru right2niru wrote:

Agreed, and which would they be for you? As I said for me Adidas P7 is better than Tenergy and I would never switch, Rassant Stiga Calibra or XIOM Vega for example are NOT.
Lets put it this way , i find it hard to play anything but tenergy 64 / 64FX on my BH and i like Calibra /Evolution MXP / Rhyzm 48 all equally good on my FH . 
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 8:00pm
I am fully in the P7 camp. Fantastic rubber. I will soon be testing Tenzone Ultra SF, which I have very high expectations for.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 8:37pm
All the ESN rubbers come off the same line with minor variations between rebrandings. Even the one that have highish throw don't spin quite as well as Tenergy, not that it really matter for the mostly amateur who're overly concerned about this stuff.
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

All the ESN rubbers come off the same line with minor variations between rebrandings. Even the one that have highish throw don't spin quite as well as Tenergy, not that it really matter for the mostly amateur who're overly concerned about this stuff.
Do you know if different Butterfly rubbers are all made in different factories? Because I find there are huge differences between Tenergy25 and Tenergy80 and Bryce speed and Cermet no matter if they are made in the same factory or not. I also find huge differences between ESN rubbers in the same brand and even greater differences between brands or is it just my imagination because they are all made in the same factory?

Petermoo
Petermoo
AcudaS1 Max
JO Silver
Butterfly Gergely Carbon
http://petermoo.blogspot.com/
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:31pm
If you've ever looked at these high end ESN rubber closely, they're clearly made in the same vein as the rubbers in the Tenergy family for example. That's why they do play fairly closely same as the various Tenergy no matter whatever narrative EJ "connoisseurs" concoct to distinguish themselves.

Or do you really believe Xiom, Tihbar, etc have their own rubber scientists working on distinct formula as their ad copy want to make it seem?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:37pm
The Tenergy clones I have seen lately, like Evolution, are pretty good.   Personally I still prefer Tenergy 05 (for the feel more than for the performance, frankly).  But Tenergy is at the absolute top of the price I will tolerate at the moment and if they increase at all above what it is now, I will use Evolution EL-P.

I have no idea where Tenergy is made but I can't see why they would make different versions at different factories. 

Regarding Tenergy 05, you have to play with it for awhile before you really begin to appreciate it.  T64 is is a bit more like other rubbers and is an easier transition, but you really need to close your racket a lot with T05.  First time I tried it I was not impressed.

petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

If you've ever looked at these high end ESN rubber closely, they're clearly made in the same vein as the rubbers in the Tenergy family for example. That's why they do play fairly closely same as the various Tenergy no matter whatever narrative EJ "connoisseurs" concoct to distinguish themselves.

Or do you really believe Xiom, Tihbar, etc have their own rubber scientists working on distinct formula as their ad copy want to make it seem?
You pose an interesting question.
I believe Tibhar, Donic, Joola, Xiom and Andro specify what characteristics they would like to see in their rubbers Sponge hardness, color etc.
I believe ESN presents them with technological innovations and the companies decide how to market that technology. SO to answer you directly, i believe they share ONE group of rubber scientist.
We have seen how much difference there is between the Tenergies (which is basically just one rubber formulation) same sponge,same hardness,  same rubber just different pip spacings and sizes and I think this explains why among the ESN's there is infinitely more variation different sponges, different hardnesses, different rubbers, different pip spacings and sizes.

Now a question for you.
Which two ESN rubbers have you found to be exactly identical?

Petermoo
Petermoo
AcudaS1 Max
JO Silver
Butterfly Gergely Carbon
http://petermoo.blogspot.com/
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 10:16pm
ESN makes so many rubbers one would have to spend a fortune in search of the ones that are the same for different companies.  Just within the Xiom product line the number that came out were insane.  I have found a lot of them to be pretty similar, though.  Nearly all of the ones I tried that came out in the last 3-4 years are pretty good.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 10:24pm
ESN basically has their one good "fast" formula, ie as elastic as they can make it, though it seems to be gradually revised. There's no reason to go worse except potential cost savings and ESN's all come in ~same price and release schedule. All their customers rebrand with some pick-n-choose of hardness/geometry/etc, and of course most important of all sponge color.

Tenergy has geometry/hardness variation. Yinhe for example also has that plus tackiness variation and chinese random QA. And that list goes on.

I'm using Omega Pro 4 right now, and compared to colleague's Donic Bluefire M(1?) it looks and plays about the same. Personally I like the slight more stick in the Tenergy topsheet; the fast ESNs can be very bouncy/touchy. I played better with Yinhe's which typically have slight tack and Tenergy doesn't really do anything for me on top. Easier to topspin but pops higher sometimes in short game. The esn's in comparison are not only worse in short play but also worse for opening, and sometimes loops fly off more than they should with minor miscue.

Edited by AgentHEX - 02/25/2015 at 10:29pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 10:27pm
Actually, the thing I don't like about some of the ESN rubbers compared to Tenergy 05 is they are too fast to my tastes, anyway.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 10:35pm
They're consistently fast perpendicular to the blade face, and bit of a crapshoot for the other (spin) direction which is why some of them are known for "low throw". I also suspect a lot of the difference between versions comes down to the tune/boosting they do. Regardless, ESN can boost the hell out of their sponge at the factory and it still doesn't change the fact the Tenergy *topsheet* is just that little bit better. Same or better elasticity despite more grip.

But when it comes down to it there's going to be more change in the rubber in their first few months of life than between rubbers.

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 10:47pm
Tenergy is still VERY VERY different than anything else. T05 and T64 feel very different, one going straight and the other curving like crazy, and yet they both feel like tenergy. Same great top sheet bite, same unique sponge sling.
I don't know about surpassing, and it depends on personal preference, but one thing is 100% sure: you remove Tenergy from the market, and there will be a big hole. No, there are no clones yet, nothing feels like tenergy. 
Rhyzm, Tenzone, Evolution, Bluefire are all great rubbers, in all of their million flavors. But you can remove any of them and nobody will notice. Please.. they all so the same. 
XIOM is one level lower than the above list, and without lower price i don't think anyone would buy them. Their sponges are deader than ESN, but livelier than Chinese.
Chinese rubbers.. without tuning are a tough challenge. Unless you are a chinese and are used to this masochism :)
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 11:11pm
> Their sponges are deader than ESN, but livelier than Chinese.

XIOM is ESN.
wankhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wankhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 11:33pm
I have to repeat myself. Razka 7 on my BH put my opponents to bed with a nightmare.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 12:09am
Originally posted by wankhao wankhao wrote:

I have to repeat myself. Razka 7 on my BH put my opponents to bed with a nightmare.

This is in fact what I use on my BH and again - despite 12 or so hrs of Tenergy practice / match play - I stuck to Rakza 7. It does everything the tenergy could do, possibly gives more spin on heavy pushes and blocks much much better... opening, aggressive spin, placement etc....are all superb so I cannot point out any weakness of R7 on the BH.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 12:10am
Surpassed in what way?
Spin?  Speed?  Feel?
All these rubbers are similar enough so they can all generate the same impulse that will generate identical trajectories.  It will take a different stroke for each rubber to generate an identical trajectory. Mostly it comes to preference due to feel and style.

I can't believe that the best rubbers made by ESN for each of the major TT vendors are that different.

I have had 4 sheets of T05 and 2 sheets of T25.  T05 and T25 are completely different even though they have the same sponge.  The T25's bigger pips seem to change the rubber from T05 a lot.

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Tenergy is still VERY VERY different than anything else. T05 and T64 feel very different, one going straight and the other curving like crazy, and yet they both feel like tenergy. Same great top sheet bite, same unique sponge sling.
I don't know about surpassing, and it depends on personal preference, but one thing is 100% sure: you remove Tenergy from the market, and there will be a big hole. No, there are no clones yet, nothing feels like tenergy. 
Rhyzm, Tenzone, Evolution, Bluefire are all great rubbers, in all of their million flavors. But you can remove any of them and nobody will notice. Please.. they all so the same. 
XIOM is one level lower than the above list, and without lower price i don't think anyone would buy them. Their sponges are deader than ESN, but livelier than Chinese.
Chinese rubbers.. without tuning are a tough challenge. Unless you are a chinese and are used to this masochism :)

Sir, have you ever used an Omega IV pro ?  

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 12:34am
Call me Victor.
I have hit with it .. on top of Xiom Zetro Quad blade. Its not slow, good control, but very typical XIOM feeling.. something between Euro and Chinese. All xiom rubbers have the same xiom feel.. its really curious why that is so. Like all tenergies have same feeling. Xiom sponge is just not elastic. No catapult. This is not necessarily bad, and I personally know very good players who tell me they hate the catapult effect of tenergy. Just saying... don't browse through the XIOM catalog looking for a cheaper euro rubber. The don't feel the same.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 12:43am
out of 3 tenergy users that have tried my paddle. 2 2200+ and one 2300. All of them have complemented me on my Omega IV. I just can't believe how someone can find xiom's sponge to be between euro and chinese sponge. Perhaps you've tried a wider range of rubbers. If you don't mind me asking, do Andro rubbers have a better selection of sponges? and , do they last as long as Omega IV's ? I've just read online that Andro was the first brand to start selling ESN rubbers, hence they have 'dibs' on esn sponge.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 12:50am
to be honest i don't have any experience with Andro, but if I have to guess, their rubbers are about par with the other germans.
Hey, i never said what rubber is good or bad for who. Those 2600 that came to our tournament played with Chinese H3 on FH so.. I personally own a lot of blades and rubbers, but don't use tenergy at all. Its not expensive, it is just too jumpy for my taste. But I can still recognize and appreciate the completely unique contact with the ball. Elasticity of the sponge is Tenergy> Germans> Korean>Chinese. That is for sure, no matter what you like better.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 1:00am
Omega pro doesn't feel anything like chinese rubbers. It's the exact same ESN as any other ESN. "Korean" here means nothing any more than Palio's ESN rubber.

If anything Tenergy plays more like the chinese rubbers (esp the newer crop a la sun/moon) with a high grip surface than ESNs.

Edited by AgentHEX - 02/26/2015 at 1:05am
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 1:11am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I have had 4 sheets of T05 and 2 sheets of T25.  T05 and T25 are completely different even though they have the same sponge.  The T25's bigger pips seem to change the rubber from T05 a lot.

The T25 has some ridiculous pip geometry and as a result has low throw for a Tenergy. It's however still tenergy and only requires some angle-of-attack/blade adjustment instead of fairly different speed on approach to the ball. In that sense the newer hybrid rubbers out of china really are closer to Tenergy and vice versa, just slower/faster.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 1:34am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Sir, have you ever used an Omega IV pro ?  

Victor is talking out of his ass. Xiom, the company as a whole, are not any "steps" up or down from any other company. Omega 5 and Sigma 2 are on an equal playing field in terms of performance and with even better durability to boot.

There was a time prior to the Rakza generation, where most ESN rubbers were well below the standards set by Tenergy 05 and 64. The reign of Tenergy lasted from 2008 - 2012/13. After that point, all of the above mentioned companies began releasing rubber that has matched Tenergy's performance.

Yes, nothing FEELS like Tenergy but at the same time, nothing FEELS like Bluefire, nothing FEELS like Omega, etc. For any upcoming youths and novice players who will eventually become the future 2600s in the US or anyone in let's say the future top 300 ITTF world rankings, using these rubbers will leave them at ZERO disadvantage compared to using Tenergy. At this point it is just a matter of preference for feeling.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 1:45am
If ESN made rubber with the same grip as Tenergy for high throw offense they would likely be slower.

But certainly it's a moot point because Ma Long following Xu Xin, the #1/2 players in the world just stepped from Tenergy to boosted H3.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 10:38am
Has Tenergy been surpassed?

NO!
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 10:46am
I think AgentHex is the closest to the truth on this one. There is one factory and one team of scientists. The topsheet we see in all ESN rubbers is their absolute best effort in terms of gripness, which by all accounts appear to be somehow short of tenergy.

Then tt brands come over and spec the final product in terms of sponge hardness, pip geometry, the amount of boost etc. That's where you get the variations, and naturally some of these configurations will be better balanced/tuned than others.

Every now and then ESN's r&d team gets a breakthrough (or a leap forward at least) and that's how you get the next generation of rubbers.

I'm back on tenergy both sides at the moment, occasionally M2 on the backhand although I wouldn't go as far as to say Tenergy is best. There are a large number of rubbers coming from ESN across all manufacturers and amongst those I'm sure there will be a couple that suit my game just as well as Tenergy. I just don't have the inclination to try everything that comes new on the market. The ones that I tried I would call them 'playable' (which is sometimes good enough), but for some reason or another short of optimal on advanced game where the gear starts to matter a lot in statistical terms (rate of success)

On top of that, every blade has a rubber combo that works best with it. Even the glue can make a big difference. There are the inert ones (non-elastic like turbofix etc.), soft-elastic (finezip, dianchi) and hard-elastic (revolution no.3) and they can all yield different results on the same blade and rubbers.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 10:52am
comparing esn to tenergy is like comparing apples to oranges!!! They are different rubbers!

I play with Xiom but i definitely don't feel i am at a disadvantage against someone with Tenergy! But that being said I respect the R&D and the marketing team at BTY for Tenergy, it didn't dominate the market and continues to do for no reason! 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic