Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Seeking Advice: MX-P or P7 on Viscaria for FH???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Seeking Advice: MX-P or P7 on Viscaria for FH???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rajd1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajd1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking Advice: MX-P or P7 on Viscaria for FH???
    Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:44am
Hi all,

I am a spin oriented player. Prefer to do a third ball attack and initiate the attack. Most of the game is played from close table.

With this style of play which rubber will suit me the best out of these two.

TIA.

...Rajd...

My feedback url: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72846&PN=1#893078
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 2:33am
If you would like more control go with pu. If you want a faster rubber with a harder sponge go with mx-p
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
rajd1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajd1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 3:42am
What about the spin capabilities? I am guessing both are almost the same. But i would like to know which can generate more spin with shorter arm action.
...Rajd...

My feedback url: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72846&PN=1#893078
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 9:14am
mx-p has a grippier topsheet but P7 is easier to produce spin in which you need less effort.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 11:31am
Which had more spin on larger loops, or thin contact brush loops?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by rajd1234 rajd1234 wrote:

Hi all,

I am a spin oriented player. Prefer to do a third ball attack and initiate the attack. Most of the game is played from close table.

With this style of play which rubber will suit me the best out of these two.

TIA.

I have tried both on a Viscaria.  If those were the only two choices I would guess probably MX-P but you may be different and would only know by trying them yourself.  Play with either one for some period of time and you will be happy with either one.  FWIW I use T05 on both sides of my Viscaria.  Some of the people who will offer you advice play with all-wood blades, and the choice may well be different  on one of those.  Actually, on a Viscaria, I would suggest that EL-P, which is  in between P7 and MX-P, might be the just-right rubber. If Tenergy decides to price itself out of my willingness to pay, I will use EL-P.  It offers just a little more margin for error than MX-P, especially from close in.
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 12:05pm
The main difference between P7 and MX-P is the speed / control ratio. 

MX-P is faster, but P7 gives a lot more control - if your game focusses on 3rd ball P7 (2.0mm) would perform better because it has more than enough speed for close to the table and the perfect control allows you to land more shots and land them in awkward positions for the opponent (it is easy to aim for the opponent's elbow even when applying full force in a power drive opening loop). Less balls will go long and despite not being grippy you can lift even the heaviest of backspin with the P7.

MX-P is probably better for a more advanced kind of game...namely 5th ball and longer points where one wants to maintain powerful attacks... on the 3rd ball the player has to exercise caution and start the point with lower power due to the speed of the rubber (so the aim shouldn't be to win the point on the 3rd ball) - but when the 3rd ball is blocked (4th ball), then a powerful attack can be initiated and here MX-P's power outguns that of the P7. If you are in the right attacking position, it will be hard for your opponent to get back actively in the point and he will have to struggle to keep blocking. The P7 also accomplishes this role (it has better placement and a lower miss rate) but the MX-P will help you overpower an opponent better on 5th balls onwards.

One other factor which for me tips things in favour of P7 is that, a big % it's spin does not really seem to come from the topsheet itself... therefore, as the rubber gets a bit older (say 2 months of playing 3 times / week) and the topsheet is not brand new anymore - MX-P spin will reduce whereas P7 spin reduces to 85-90% but does not go below that for a further 2/3 months. It also keeps much of it's pop, so in terms of amount of time where the rubber plays close to top performance I feel P7 is hard to match. 

For professional players MX-P is probably better because they prefer the 3rd ball to be a safe, spinny setup ball, and then they unleash more power on the 5th ball when the return comes. For club players where a strong 3rd ball can be a decisive factor because defensive skills are lower, then P7 should be a wiser choice.

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
rajd1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajd1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 12:25pm
Thanks Baal and Clarence247 for your views. I wish i could try once before buying. No one in my club owns these. I would like to hear some more thoughts from the other forum members.
...Rajd...

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:15pm
I use an all wood one ply 9.0MM cypress and have used both rubbers.  Both have good spin, maybe the mx-p has a harder sponge but both are fun to play.  I have only recently started using the P7 and it a very nice rubber, have it in 2.0 its not as widely distributed as MX-P but  I purchased from TT-japan at a good price. If you do change your setup let us know how either of these rubbers compared to your current set up.

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:17pm
I've read horror stories regarding Mx-p's durability.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

I've heard that as well. It might need to be boosted a little bit after 3-6mo to bring it back to life, I hear it's heavily boosted when you get it.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:51pm
It's a shame that Tibhar* has been around for so long , yet unable to produce at the level of other manufacturers. Heck, Adidas has been around a few years and look at the name they've made for themselves. esn this, esn that.

edit: meant Tibhar

Edited by asifgunz - 03/01/2015 at 3:03pm

viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 2:00pm

It's a shame that Donic has been around for so long , yet unable to produce at the level of other manufacturers. Heck, Adidas has been around a few years and look at the name they've made for themselves. esn this, esn that.

Dunno what you are saying but donic has some quality rubbers out there. 
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 3:01pm
crap i meant tibhar lmfaooo

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 3:13pm

if you dig deep enough on this forum, you will find horror stories about any brand's durability :-)
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 3:20pm

It's a shame that Tibhar* has been around for so long , yet unable to produce at the level of other manufacturers. Heck, Adidas has been around a few years and look at the name they've made for themselves. esn this, esn that.

edit: meant Tibhar

There are a lot of people who like Tibhar rubbers. In fact, Tibhar's rubbers - Genius, the Q series, Evolution series - are just as good as any other brand's rubbers. 

Also, I don't recall anyone on this forum ever saying than any of the Tenzones was even remotely close to Tenergy, unlike the praise that MX-P and EL-P received. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 3:25pm
Tibhar is a widely used brand in Europe and have never had a very big presence in US, but have always made quality products.  IMHO, the Evolution rubbers they make are very good.  I still use Tenergy, but I have to say that Btfly is really pissing me off with the contempt in which they hold their customers.
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 5:50pm
I would say to each his own, but I find Tibhar rubbers to be of high quality especially the genius and evolution series. 
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
zhijie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhijie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 12:03am
Originally posted by rajd1234 rajd1234 wrote:

... I would like to hear some more thoughts from the other forum members.

I used both rubbers (max). My experience is quite similar to some others have described. MX-P is harder. In terms of spin, both are very spinny, perhaps P7 is a tad easier to produce spin due to slightly softer. MX-P is faster. P7 has higher throw. Personally, I prefer (and using) MXP because I think the throw angle & speed are more suitable for my style. 3rd-ball attack with that kind of speed and throw angle is just nice for me. Both are good rubbers, it depends on individual preference.
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 1:59am
Tibhar are very good rubbers - I liked nearly all of their Rubbers: Aurus sound - which feels like a classic rubber with modern spin and speed is for example the closest rubber I can think of that replicates a speed glued classic. Genius series, Q series, MX-P, EL-P , all these are excellent. The different rubbers are intended for different play as I described with the differences between MX-P and P7 - P7 can be more successful on very aggressive 3rd ball, while MX-P will allow you to be more aggressive as the point is longer, but requires that the 3rd ball (vs a good return) is a setup shot. Durability, yes P7 is better but most people who use such rubbers in Europe change every 3 months anyway.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic