Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions About The New 40+ Balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 3:16am
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

That has been my own experience. I'm getting more spin using the XSF / Yinhe / Nexy 40+. Especially side spin. My only explanation is that it may be because the ball is a bit slower, I may be seeing it better, and have a fraction of a second more to execute a better stroke.

My limited experience with the NP40+ ball was that it seemed to have more table kick on slow balls.  That included slow balls with sidespin.  This was more noticable on our Butterfly Centerfold tables and not so noticeable on our smoother Killerspin MyT10 tables.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Sponsored Links

LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 4:04am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

That has been my own experience. I'm getting more spin using the XSF / Yinhe / Nexy 40+. Especially side spin. My only explanation is that it may be because the ball is a bit slower, I may be seeing it better, and have a fraction of a second more to execute a better stroke.

My limited experience with the NP40+ ball was that it seemed to have more table kick on slow balls.  That included slow balls with sidespin.  This was more noticable on our Butterfly Centerfold tables and not so noticeable on our smoother Killerspin MyT10 tables.

That's interesting. My club has Butterfly Centerfold tables.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:14pm

Firstly, that isn't Baal's logic.  Second, I've seen that report online from others and I've heard it offline from others.  It is not a unique report.

This is a good example of the same logic. The number of reports of an objectively verifiable fact doesn't make it happen any more than for instance reports of ball "dwelling" makes it dwell any more than it does. 

If the balls do this then it's trivial to observe what happens to roundness as they're played.

Well, I just pointed out to you that solutions have been offered.  That was hardly a complete list.  some of us have been promoting the use of the seamless balls since they are generally superior.  I've even written to Nittaku explaining how their SHA ball doesn't deserve the respect that the Nittaku brand confers - and have posted about it.

Your characterization of those complaining is flat out wrong.  Many of us are offering and doing what little we reasonably can to make dealing with the mess easier.  But that doesn't change the fact that it is a mess and that some of the balls are "junk" compared to the quality of balls that we are used to, that the ITTF bungled things, or make it somehow to not legitimate to complain about the situation.

Again, the reality is people are going to play with these balls. Studying how they behave and conscientiously adjusting to the change is much closer to effective at dealing with it than the ~0% effectiveness of complaining when not in a position of power to influence that reality. Yet the ratio of the latter to former has been incredibly high.

This has nothing to do with being a popularity contest.  For instance, I know Berndt (the old man you referred too.)  I like Berndt.  I don't mind his posts on hardbat even though I don't agree with a lot of what he says or his approach.  But I can understand why others (some of whom I like much less than I like Berndt) can find his posts annoying, distracting, and off-topic.

Frankly I'm surprised anyone would claim this forum is somehow above typically crass social dynamics, though it wouldn't be surprising if this observation somehow gets voted on.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/09/2015 at 6:15pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

This has nothing to do with being a popularity contest.  For instance, I know Berndt (the old man you referred too.)  I like Berndt.  I don't mind his posts on hardbat even though I don't agree with a lot of what he says or his approach.  But I can understand why others (some of whom I like much less than I like Berndt) can find his posts annoying, distracting, and off-topic.

Frankly I'm surprised anyone would claim this forum is somehow above typically crass social dynamics, though it wouldn't be surprising if this observation somehow gets voted on.

You are going from a particular to the general - changing the whole context of the discussion.  

As for your claim that some folks here are spending more time complaining than adjusting, the evidence suggests otherwise.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:25pm
Do a spin test on the table with a Chinese seamed ball after you have played with it for a few hours (even if it was round, or I should say balanced, when you started).  It yields a pretty bad result.  Do the same with a seamless ball or a celluloid ball.  Much less problem.

Many of us play with 40+ balls exclusively.  So we have to adjust.  The entire point of this thread was an OP asking if there is some way to facilitate the adjustment to seamed 40+ balls, which were giving him difficulties.  I suggested a way.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:26pm
> You are going from a particular to the general - changing the whole context of the discussion. 

The particular here isn't really surprising or exceptional.

> As for your claim that some folks here are spending more time complaining than adjusting, the evidence suggests otherwise.

I think you've seen enough of these threads here in the past that it's evident what I've ranted about is a good example of a complaint that's somewhat effective.

Btw, I forgot to mention somewhere above that the roundness spec for the plastic ball is substantially tight than for cell, something like .3mm to .5mm. Overall it's possible the current balls are closer to their limit than cell counterparts, but I'd guess the first 40mm balls weren't accepted with great fanfare either.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/09/2015 at 6:30pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:28pm
I think you've seen enough of these threads here in the past that it's evident what I've ranted about is a good example of a complain that is somewhat effective.

I for one think this sentence has no meaning.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:33pm
I think you've seen enough of these threads here in the past (of nothing but complaining) that it's evident what I've ranted about (ie too much complaining) is a good example of a complain that is somewhat effective (given it subsequently resulted in a thread that's not as terrible).
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:36pm
OK, AgentHEX is saying that when he points out that people are complaining about things he thinks are not real, it improves threads.

However, it is beyond doubt at this point that one needs to adjust to playing with most of the Chinese seamed 40+ balls if one is used to celluloid (or any of the other 40+ balls).  That is real. Even one such as Liu Guoliang points out that adjustment is needed. 

There are many ways that the seamed 40+ balls are flawed.  Low bounce, too many unbalanced or non-round balls, they break like crazy, and if you play with them for awhile they get more wobbly when you spin them on the table.  I don't personally think there is a lot that AgentHEX added here to improve the thread, although he certainly derailed the discussion away from how to best learn to adjust to the change.  Of course, others may disagree.  
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:38pm

> Y

The particular was the point being responded to and you are simply evading answering that response.

And your doing so is neither surprising nor exceptional.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 6:55pm
AgentHEX also wrote that "Again, the reality is people are going to play with these balls. Studying how they behave and conscientiously adjusting to the change is much closer to effective at dealing with it than the ~0% effectiveness of complaining when not in a position of power to influence that reality. Yet the ratio of the latter to former has been incredibly high."

So far posts have primarily concerned with (1) how you might actually adjust to the change, (2) people describing the behavior they have seen with the balls, like more sidespin jumping, and strange dead balls*, and (3) AgentHEX's comments, which almost entirely deal with refuting the idea that there is anything systematically different with the seamed 40+ balls, and complaining about people complaining, and then complaining that there is a social hierarchy here arrayed against him. 

*if you are going to adjust to new balls, you need to know what specifically is different about them.

Edit, going back and reading the thread, I have to say that I am wrong.  AgentHEX does not claim that the balls are not different, lonly that there are no random bounces.  But he certainly had no suggestion as to how to adjust other than "change your timing".

I still think that playing with seamless balls for a few weeks is good way to transition between celluloid and seamed 40+, it's sort of an intermediate step.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

OK, AgentHEX is saying that when he points out that people are complaining about things he thinks are not real, it improves threads.

However, it is beyond doubt at this point that one needs to adjust to playing with most of the Chinese seamed 40+ balls if one is used to celluloid (or any of the other 40+ balls).  That is real. Even one such as Liu Guoliang points out that adjustment is needed. 

There are many ways that the seamed 40+ balls are flawed.  Low bounce, too many unbalanced or non-round balls, they break like crazy, and if you play with them for awhile they get more wobbly when you spin them on the table.  I don't personally think there is a lot that AgentHEX added here to improve the thread, although he certainly derailed the discussion away from how to best learn to adjust to the change.  Of course, others may disagree.  

Simply observe that this topic was supposed to be about ball adjustments yet the first page of this thread concerns ittf this and that is typically how these go. Somebody points out how meaningless this is, writes about actual play adjustments, etc, and subsequently the usual ittf-hate-based derailing is minimized. It's certainly your own prerogative to believe whatever, but the facts of the case are transcribed above.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 7:37pm

> Y

The particular was the point being responded to and you are simply evading answering that response.

And your doing so is neither surprising nor exceptional.

In the particular case, it's pretty obvious hardbat vs sponge is simply a matter of numbers here. The positions themselves make no actual difference as typically the case when discussions lack substance.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 7:49pm

In the particular case, it's pretty obvious hardbat vs sponge is simply a matter of numbers here. The positions themselves make no actual difference as typically the case when discussions lack substance.

Yes, that was pretty much the initial claim that I took issue with.  So all this posting only to get back to square one. What a waste of time.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2015 at 7:54pm
The general case is that pointless dogpiling happens a lot. Hopefully something can come of bringing it up.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 12:09am
Complaining about the seamed 40+ balls has lead to the balls not being used at many tournaments iin the US. Westchester switched to XSF. Joola supposedly switched manufacturers and is making a sturdier product. Non-pros in China are boycotting the DHS ball. In the US, the main reason why Joola balls are used is that they are donated to tournament directors for free.

This is the result of all the dogpiling that has happened. But of course, it wasn't dogpiling. It was letting TDs know how players felt so that they could empathize and change. But of course, how would someone who never plays tournaments understand that?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 1:11am
The vindictive ad hom-ing really drives the point home.
stevenjlyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 3:49am
if you select seamless ball, like Yinhe/XSF, you'll soon get used to it, believe me. there is not big difference between them.
ZJK ALC 90g: T80 + T05FX
Boll ALC 89g: AIROC M + Calibra LT Spin
stevenjlyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 6:11am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

OP, I use exclusively polyballs for almost a year now.  I have tried nearly every one made in the world today (almost) and made it my mission to find out everything I could about them.  I was very much opposed to this change beforehand. 

By far the best ones are seamless (make sure you get balls that are ITTF approved).  The only other ones I like for sure are Nittaku Premium 40+ (from a pure playing point of view).  The seamless balls have a good bounce that is quite easy to adjust too, they are durable and less expensive.  They are marketed by tradenames of XuShaoFa, Nexy, Yinhe, Palio, Stag, probably some others too.  They are a bit cheaper and very durable also, and definitely the most round ball, with the highest bounce.  I cannot discern any playing difference between the three brands I've tried.  None of us expected the seamless balls to be good based on prototypes we had 18 months ago, but they are good (if they are ITTF approved).  I think more than anyone I have pushed people to try them and now there are a lot of satisfied people on the internet.  My small contribution to table tennis, I suppose.

The Nittkum Premium 40+ is made in Japan, has a seam but a very small one (you can only see it if you hold it up to the light).  It is expensive, not as durable, and worst of all, almost always back-ordered and impossible to buy (and more than $3.00 per ball when you can find them).  They are less durable than seamless, but at least have a decent bounce.  They are a little faster to play with then the seamless.  They are pretty good to play with too, but if you are used to seamless it takes an hour or two to adjust to the Nittaku Premium.  These are probably the most like celluloid.  Like I said, though, good luck buying one. 

All other balls (including the Nittaku SHA) have large very visible seams and are made in China by either DHS or Double Fish.  In general they are all terrible and pretty much the same and everybody has the problems you are talking about adjusting to them.  I won't use them if I have a choice.  They have destroyed the enjoyment of playing for a lot of people, but in time you can adjust a little bit, but never completely.

I do have one piece of good news on that front.  Two nights ago I played with some Butterfly 40+ balls that had been made very recently, Feb 2015 according to stamp on the box.  These seem to be much better in terms of the bounce than any Chinese seamed ball I had used before.  They had a decent bounce.  The problem was that many of the balls in that box of 12 had pretty unacceptable deviations from roundness, but in my mind they have definitely made progress.

So far all of the seamed balls made in China have had durability problems, although there is some sense on forums that the ones made by Double Fish are a little better.  The Butterfly ball is made by DOuble Fish, so there is reason to hope that over the next year, the Chinese seamed balls may (1) figure out how to make something better.  It is also people that some makers will give up on the seamed balls and make deals to manufacture seamless balls, which are simply better.  For now all of the 40+ balls marketed by European companies (Joola, Donic, Stiga, etc) are made by DHS and are truly awful.

People should not talk about "THE" plastic ball, as there are currently 3-4 distinct varieties and they are not all the same.  That in itself is an unacceptable situation that we never really had to deal with in the days of celluloid.
I also use the plastic ball for several months(mostly seamless ball), here i just want to say that if you plan to transfer to Polyballs, don't choose seamed ball, no matter what the brand is, seamless ball is your best choice in term of bounce, durable, price, etc. BTW, about seamless ball, please use 2nd generation products.
ZJK ALC 90g: T80 + T05FX
Boll ALC 89g: AIROC M + Calibra LT Spin
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 8:37am
I've been playing with plastic balls (primarily the YinHe seamless) for a while now and I've had mixed results in switching to other balls.

The good:
Switching back to celluloid for a match recently was interesting.  It seemed much faster and lighter than what I was used to.  Fortunately, after a 5-10 minute warmup I made some adjustments and played okay.  I still made a few mistakes and felt a little rushed, but I think a little more time with it and I would have played as well as I do with the YinHe ball.

This past Sunday I started the day with a plastic doublefish ball.  I don't know if it was because we had an extended warm up, but I didn't feel like I had to make any adjustments.  I was quite happy with how the ball played overall.   I didn't notice any odd bounces, skidding or wobbly shots.  I played the rest of the day with the YinHe and didn't have to adjust.

The bad:
At the Rochester tournament they used the plastic Joola ball.  Maybe the balls weren't round or balanced (I didn't do a spin test), but I noticed a number of odd bounces.  Outside of the odd bounces, adjusting wasn't a problem.  I don't find the lower bounce height to be a difficult thing to adjust to.  The funny bounces I had to deal with were another story.  They were very aggravating even when I had a comfortable lead and was playing a low stress match.  You can't really anticipate something like that.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 8:57am
Complaining about some of the balls isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Letting people know that certain brands aren't as good as others is useful.  If you were to complain and still buy the lower quality balls, then it would be fruitless.  However, if you are essentially encouraging a boycott of certain brands, it could be effective.  The only way anything is going to change is if the businesses see a drop a sales.  If business is booming, there's no reason to change.

If people talking about it encourages some tournaments to switch balls that's progress.  Westchester, for example, switched to XSF partly because people didn't like the ball they were using.  That doesn't sound like much, but they run monthly 4 star tournaments and probably average around 125 players (ignoring snow storms).  By using the XSF ball, they are essentially promoting that ball.  People who are very serious about tournaments will want to practice with that ball before the tournament.  That means they are buying the XSF ball instead of one of the other brands.  I think most people agree that the XSF (and rebadged versions) ball plays more consistently than most of the others, so that takes money away from the lower quality balls.   

Some tournaments are locked into a specific brand due to sponsorship deals (the Rochester NY club for example), but others aren't.  The only way tournament directors will switch (if possible) is if they hear complaints and get concerned about losing entries.  As more and more tournaments move away from the lower quality balls, the manufacturers will hopefully start to take notice and improve their product.

When I say lower quality, I refer to the percentage of balls that aren't round/balanced (either from the get go or during play) and those that don't last long.  As mentioned in a prior post, I used a doublefish ball recently that I really enjoyed, even though they aren't considered to be a high quality ball and are prone to breaking (a buddy of mine ran an NCTTA tournament with them recently and a large number were broken by the end).

Edit:  After Aerial chimed in on the number of balls that broke during the NCTTA tournament, I corrected the post.  I apparently got the numbers wrong.

Edited by hookumsnivy - 03/10/2015 at 11:38am
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 11:34am
Greetings, hookumsnivy's buddy chiming in with my two cents on the plastic balls I've played with.

At club, snivy has frequently brought in Yinhe balls, and from playing matches I didn't think it was too bad. Some adjusting required but nothing too extravagant. The durability was quite good too, did not break that fast, although still a bit faster than the old celluloid ball.

As mentioned, I volunteer for NCTTA and we used Doublefish plastic. I did not play with it on game day, but of the 48 balls supplied, 20 broke. The tournament I hosted the semester prior used Doublefish celluloid and I didn't have a single one break.

I gave out the rest of the balls to the students and some SU students brought the DF plastics to club. I've thus played matches with them and they do feel different than Yinhe. I wouldn't say better or worse, just different. A bit lighter I think. The durability is definitely not there though. I think I went through three DF's breaking while snivy's Yinhe was still holding up. They also break very strangely--I don't think I've ever had a ball break on my paddle instead of the table but the DF's have done so twice on my BH block nonetheless.

I also went to the Rochester tournament and felt the Joola ball to be the worst in bounce predictability. I think they were a bit more durable than the Doublefish but both balls are overall worse than Yinhe. I had one Joola break on my two day's worth of tourney events.

Snivy also brought in an XSF that I played with last Wed. when the DF I was playing with disintegrated on my BH block. I only played half of the rest of the match with the XSF but it felt pretty solid.

In a nutshell my stand on the current state of table tennis balls:
Celluloid > Yinhe = XSF > Doublefish > Joola
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 11:48am
Actually, I take that back, I did play on their game day.

During their lunch break I did some FH loop/FH drives with a fellow volunteer and we broke the ball we were using in around 15-20min.
ppmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

I also went to the Rochester tournament and felt the Joola ball to be the worst in bounce predictability.

+1 on Joola ball bad bounces.

Among the plastic balls I've played with, Joola balls, to my taste, are the worst. I often miss the ball completely when blocking, when the ball doesn't bounce and slips under my racket. Or the ball sometimes kicks up high, and I can't explain given the stroke.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

I also went to the Rochester tournament and felt the Joola ball to be the worst in bounce predictability. I think they were a bit more durable than the Doublefish but both balls are overall worse than Yinhe. I had one Joola break on my two day's worth of tourney events.

I think only 1 broke on me during the tournament as well.  A total of 12 matches counting doubles.
I did see some others break and heard a few people talking about it.  I'd be curious to know how many actually broke - though it will be impossible to tell because people just throw them out and some balls just get lost.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 1:35pm

The vindictive ad hom-ing really drives the point home.
As does the characterization of people with legitimate complaints as whingers, dogpilers and members of circlejerks.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 1:56pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

Samsonov on the new plastic ball :

Samsonov: "The quality of the new plastic balls is below average"

And the context of his comment is probably that of playing with the DHS ball.  I probably does not include the wider context of there being three or four different 40+ variants and the issues that creates.

BTW, I've decided that Phoenix Table Tennis Club tournaments will start using the Nexy seamless 40+ ball in our upcoming Arizona Closed and for the foreseeable future.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 2:24pm
Yes, I guess so, because it's the balls they use at the ITTF tournaments.
Like it was often said before, there will be less problems if they'd used seamless or Nittaku 3* balls but... Disapprove

Edited by john18 - 03/10/2015 at 2:28pm
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 2:47pm
"One thing is certain. This change has served to see the enormous adaptability players have engaged in this sport. Again we changed the game and once again we have adapted. Of course, I'm not sure if it's good at all to hang our heads and accept as normal the fact that something so fundamental in our sport such as the ball is so poor."  

http://elcontragolpe.net/2015/02/manda-pelotas/

The importance of quality balls and uniformity among suppliers actually has meaning.....hopefully  the various national associations that have jumped the creek and adopted one or all of the new plastic will reconsider.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic