Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Video of me at Arnold Classic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video of me at Arnold Classic
    Posted: 03/10/2015 at 12:46am
Hello everyone! If you have some time and want to look at match video of me playing, here are links to some of the videos.

What I saw I want to work on: 
BH aggressiveness. I default to quickly to punch blocking and placing with my bh. While it is effective, at some point it is simply not going to be enough. It happened against Zhang (Li?) Cheng Li's training partner, and Tianming Xie. They were not threatened enough by an off-the-bounce punch that lacked spin.

Spin reading and ability to manage topspin serves. 

Either way, I had a great time and I was pleased with how I played. I saw some great things from myself and am happy with how my game has evolved over the past 3 years. I've included a video taken from a little over 3 years ago at what my strokes and general body mechanics looked like so you can see the changes! You can still see some of the punch-y backhand in my current play haha

Older Video:

Zhang (Li?)

Ali Khatami

Tianming Xie

Andrea (Harper?)

Edited by lewis1253 - 03/10/2015 at 12:52am
Quality over quantity
Sponsored Links

lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 12:54am
My transitions seem a little slow to me as well. Definitely need to tighten those up.
Need to improve serve variation.
Quality over quantity
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2015 at 2:06am
Liberate your elbow.  Your upper arm stays parallel with the trunk and there is hardly any backswing on most forehand shots.  That leads to timing problem and makes your stroke look stiff.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2015 at 8:35pm
lewis1253, what is your current rating?
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2015 at 8:35pm
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2015 at 9:07pm
I guess aroung 1900?
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2015 at 10:14pm
I think you had formal training and play close to 2100 per the match against Tianmin. Your BH IS pretty aggressive. If anything, you want to try to spin the ball more when opening against back spin.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2015 at 6:46am
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2015 at 8:43am
Originally posted by lewis1253 lewis1253 wrote:

Hello everyone! If you have some time and want to look at match video of me playing, here are links to some of the videos.

What I saw I want to work on: 
BH aggressiveness. I default to quickly to punch blocking and placing with my bh. While it is effective, at some point it is simply not going to be enough. It happened against Zhang (Li?) Cheng Li's training partner, and Tianming Xie. They were not threatened enough by an off-the-bounce punch that lacked spin.

Spin reading and ability to manage topspin serves. 

Either way, I had a great time and I was pleased with how I played. I saw some great things from myself and am happy with how my game has evolved over the past 3 years. I've included a video taken from a little over 3 years ago at what my strokes and general body mechanics looked like so you can see the changes! You can still see some of the punch-y backhand in my current play haha

Older Video:

Zhang (Li?)

Ali Khatami

Tianming Xie

Andrea (Harper?)

Thanks for the share, is that Newgy 2040 robot??? Which other robots have you used???
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2015 at 12:16am
It is a 2040.
Can you believe I've had no formal training whatsoever? Just training with the help of VGriper.
Quality over quantity
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2015 at 2:21am

It is a 2040.
Can you believe I've had no formal training whatsoever? Just training with the help of VGriper.

Yes and no. No in the sense of your achievements, yes in the sense of your stroke form. With tradional forehand looping spin strokes with a 90 degree forearm snap, you would be much more consistent and resistant to underspin and no spin.
Cybershape Carbon
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2015 at 3:56am
You haven't remember the name of that great girl from the last video ? lol 

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2015 at 8:56am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

You haven't remember the name of that great girl from the last video ? lol 

Yeah. Makes you question his priorities. He needs to respect all his opponents.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/13/2015 at 8:56am
Cybershape Carbon
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2015 at 2:54am
That 2nd video with Zhang alone would fool me good. You really looked 2100-2200 when played him. I know he was kind of casual and not pull out his vicious serves. But you looked good. Big smile

Edited by aroonkl - 03/16/2015 at 2:57am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2015 at 4:03am
He is probably about 2200. He can get the rating quickly if he finds the right customer. That power is not easy and his base is really low and powerful. The problem is that is backhand is not consistent enough to match his aggression. I know a 2300 player who is largely like him but just blocks and rolls back balls on the backhand and them brings the pain on the forehand.    I can see him playing that style but my guess is that he wants too forehanda so he is going to have to spend time to fix his backhand. The 2300 has much trickier serves though.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/16/2015 at 4:17am
Cybershape Carbon
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2015 at 12:36pm
Thank you for the discussion so far.
As for not remembering the girl's last name...I do not see why that is a huge problem nor do I see it as a lack of respect on my part. I remembered her first name and will be able to say "Hello Andrea" the next time I see her. I do not remember Zhang's last name either, but I can address him properly next time I see him.
As for the BH, I have made a recent change in my grip, going from a mild BH biased grip (old school ML) to a full BH biased grip as used by FZD and ZJK, and now ML. I am still getting used to grip-switching into the new grip, the kinds of shots I can hit with it and generally how play has changed. I am working on balancing my game because I do not want to end up like Mr. Block/Fish BH 2300 guy NL described. Additionally, after some discussion with VGriper, we have decided that my FH needs to be more versatile. On every ball I am trying to drive it a la WLQ and the left arm ML mechanic, but because of how long my arms are, it takes too much time to cycle. Additionally, you do have a point about using more spin to open against underspin to give me more leeway. So, I would like to get more FH to the point where I make the decision to hit a ball like ZJK (elbow snap, short, spinny, low recovery time), WLQ (the middle ball, good for counter drives) and ML (lots of speed and spin, but big recovery time). So I would like to be able to make the best decision on each incoming ball as to which shot to hit.

Quality over quantity
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2015 at 1:43pm

Thank you for the discussion so far.
As for not remembering the girl's last name...I do not see why that is a huge problem nor do I see it as a lack of respect on my part. I remembered her first name and will be able to say "Hello Andrea" the next time I see her. I do not remember Zhang's last name either, but I can address him properly next time I see him.
As for the BH, I have made a recent change in my grip, going from a mild BH biased grip (old school ML) to a full BH biased grip as used by FZD and ZJK, and now ML. I am still getting used to grip-switching into the new grip, the kinds of shots I can hit with it and generally how play has changed. I am working on balancing my game because I do not want to end up like Mr. Block/Fish BH 2300 guy NL described. Additionally, after some discussion with VGriper, we have decided that my FH needs to be more versatile. On every ball I am trying to drive it a la WLQ and the left arm ML mechanic, but because of how long my arms are, it takes too much time to cycle. Additionally, you do have a point about using more spin to open against underspin to give me more leeway. So, I would like to get more FH to the point where I make the decision to hit a ball like ZJK (elbow snap, short, spinny, low recovery time), WLQ (the middle ball, good for counter drives) and ML (lots of speed and spin, but big recovery time). So I would like to be able to make the best decision on each incoming ball as to which shot to hit.

The comment about Andrea was a read between the lines joke with the last sentence added in as a smokescreen.  She's a pretty woman, that's all.

On the FH, I don't think you need all three - the WLQ shot is already a powerful and consistent finishing stroke so I would just build in the ZJK shot, which WLQ also has, unless you already have the Ma Long shot.  Ma Long is relying the kind of speed and abandon that most people shouldn't be playing with unless they are committed to chasing down everything like him or Xu Xin.  The benefit of the ZJK shot is that the arm mechanics will give you a quick recovery close to the table forehand.

There are many kinds of backhands so as long as you get one that lets you do what you want to do, you are fine.  I don't think a grip switch is necessary, but if it fits into your game, go with it.  Try not to do too much at once.  Just introduce the most important shots in your game to address certain situations.  In fact, for you, a spinnier backhand which you can place with precision against a variety of spin types would reap more immediate rewards than a powerful backhand because the latter would make your game confused and could take you out of the point unnecessarily.  The backhand doesn't have to be block/fish/punch but it doesn't have to be monstrous either.  Spinny backhands naturally evolve into monsters and you already have a punch as variation.    Take it from a guy with a crappy forehand - backhand play wins by deception and placement and not by force.  It's a mistake that many forehand players who want a good backhand make.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 7:48am
This is the "correct" neutral grip that makes grip switching almost moot (holding the bat primarily with your thumb and index finger and tucked into the gap between thumb and index finger).  As Ben points out, the grip should be really called a pinch grip and it relaxes more muscles in the arm if you get used to it.  Its funny hearing Ben Larcombe go through many of the issues that I have gone through the past year or even two, but some recent videos on the forum by illinichamp and BH Man's translation of an Oh Sang Eun video helped me close it out.

One of the interesting things is that Ben rejects the grip with the higher thumb, but it is a simply way of going to a more backhand oriented grip that just requires a thumb movement and it is easy to move the thumb back down for forehands.

Vgriper and you already knows all this stuff I am sure, and you have advanced enough that your grips for your forehand may just not be worth the change.  But what you find with most players is that it is worth fixing your strokes to adapt to this grip as the switch to the backhand is just about turning the racket over and sometimes cocking back the wrist, but you can do the same on the forehand as well for a sidespin type forehand that is a good switchup to cause some opponents problems when they are used to your regular forehand.
Cybershape Carbon
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 11:21pm
Do you know if Zhang played with Timo ALC or ZLC?
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 12:10am
I thought Zhang and Chen both played TBS?
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

I thought Zhang and Chen both played TBS?
Mytt friend shew Zhang blade as DHS TG825 last time. But in the video with Lewis, look like he has a new one, TB ALC or ZLC. Where are our experts? Help, please. Wink

Edited by aroonkl - 03/18/2015 at 2:44am
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 2:15pm
@NL -facepalm- Anyways, I have to disagree about the grip. A neutral grip or slight BH biased grip does not offer the same advantages a BH biased grip, like ZJK or FZD and now ML, does. Concerning the forehands, the ML FH is one for when I have a lot of time and really want to put the ball away. You can see me do it when that is the case. Or, if someone is fishing against me and I need extra power. But I also try to vary my loops a lot when that happens. As for the BH, what I want is the ability to switch easily between a ZJK BH close to the table, and the punch. I'm not looking for more power, just more spin.

As for the blade he used...I'm not sure why it matters lol but it was a TB ALC
Quality over quantity
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 5:01pm

@NL -facepalm- Anyways, I have to disagree about the grip. A neutral grip or slight BH biased grip does not offer the same advantages a BH biased grip, like ZJK or FZD and now ML, does. Concerning the forehands, the ML FH is one for when I have a lot of time and really want to put the ball away. You can see me do it when that is the case. Or, if someone is fishing against me and I need extra power. But I also try to vary my loops a lot when that happens. As for the BH, what I want is the ability to switch easily between a ZJK BH close to the table, and the punch. I'm not looking for more power, just more spin.

As for the blade he used...I'm not sure why it matters lol but it was a TB ALC

You seem to be very biased in your choice of backhands (pun intended).  I love and study the backhand extensively.  Obviously, a BH grip makes playing certain BH strokes easier, but as much as I love such BH play like that of ZJK, Boll, or ML or FZD, there are many crappy and good backhands out there with more or less bias.  For more neutral grips, and they can switch on occasion, one can look at players as disparate in technique and play as Ovtcharov, Mattenet, Oh Sang Eun and Henzell.  I am not as convinced as others that Ma Long's BH has been tested in the situation under which it usually fails (extended backhand to backhand rallying), but we shall see.

For more spin, it's all in the wrist takeback.  If you study basic backhand technique, you may be surprised to find that what you are looking for is largely to take your wrist back more often on all your backhand strokes.  I looked over your matches and this is largely what you miss on your backhand when you miss it, and less the stroke choice.  If you could absorb pressure and then choose the right ball to punch, that would make a huge difference.  But no one should need to bias their backhand just to block.
Cybershape Carbon
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 5:40pm
Lewis does not seem even a little interested in advice. I went and reread again the whole OP, and nowhere did he ask for advice, so I guess you can't blame him now for not wanting to hear it. Looks like he just wanted to brag about his results: nothing wrong with that ..

lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 5:52pm
Victor, I am interested in advice. I am always someone to say what I think in response to what others are suggesting. If a point is made and I do not necessarily agree with it, I will make a counter argument. I welcome NL's discussion and critique.

NL- As for the BH grip, I guess I just prefer how I hit the ball in a BH bias grip. Flipping over the table is much easier for me than in a less BH bias grip. For the blocks, I am more comfortable with the BH bias grip as well. Yes, you are definitely right that I could stay in a neutral grip, but I think at this point it is what I find works best for me. With the wrist, you may be correct in that. Could you point out a section in my video where you see that so I can check it out? I'm looking now.
Quality over quantity
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 5:56pm
Nice vids Lewis!

Maybe you guys need some cardboard barriers for the robot.
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:14pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J090L8sraEY

The BH @ 7:25 against Tianming: What do you think of it?
@ 9:00
@ 11:30
Against Andrea
@ 0:25 The first BH is what I wanted to avoid..very poor. Looks like a BH flick used close to the table. The second backhand shortly after that is correct. On the first though, what happens is I do not get into my BH bias grip
@ 1:25 That is the kind of BH punch I would like to be able to hit consistently.
@ 2:20
@ 5:15
@ 5:25 That is a bad BH. It was weak with little spin and she took advantage of it. That is the kind of BH I do not want to hit.
@ 7:25
@ 11:55 This point I should not have won. I hit two weak BH, and if you notice, my grip is neutral. When I am in a neutral grip, my wrist tends to lock up a little, because otherwise, the mechanics appear sound to me. So I think you are correct that my wrist does stiffen, but I think it is when I am in a neutral grip.
Quality over quantity
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:15pm
13:00 against Andrea...perfect example. I got stuck in a neutral grip and just kinda batted at the ball. Very little wrist action.
Quality over quantity
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 1:24am
I watched again - your backhand looks like my forehand  - I can open, sometimes I can counter/block, but rarely am I ready to play it as a counterloop.  You are clearly forehand dominant.    Is grip switching the way out?  On opening shots, grip switching is a commitment to a single shot and doesn't matter.  But given the distance where you play from the table when you use your backhand, grip switching had better be extremely well practiced.  You could always back up to give yourself more time.  That said, watch the match for your transition issues (also not sure why you missed the score and gave the boy a serve he should not have had).

vs. Tianming
@ 7:25 - good stroke.  Looks risky but well executed by coming around the side of the ball.  That is the kind of backhand you want to play almost all the time when playing lefties - hook them out to the wide forehand to make them chase the ball.
@9:00 - no commitment to doing the stroke.  The wrist should have been taken back and the ball waited for with the commitment to a sidespin loop or flick.
@11:30 - That should have been a forehand.  He gave you what should have been a dead ball and possibly decent topspin if he was using Tenergy and the ball trajectory and height challenges the backhand.   

vs. Andrea
0.25 - a grooved backhand for someone with your athleticism is a commitment - you can attack any serve at any length with your backhand so once you set up the stroke, you should just move to the ball and execute.  You may have been waiting for the ball to come long, but with the right backhand technique for a sidespin loop/flick, that makes no difference.
1.25 - I am of two minds about that punch.  Not sure which mind should win. 
2:20 - Well executed opener with spin.
5:15 - Good/ideal approach for what it was - just hit the wrong point on the ball and didn't trap the side enough.
7:25 - Looks good.
11:25 Your mindset for the 2nd backhand was that you wanted to play a forehand but you were surprised the ball came to your backhand.  The first one, I am not sure whether the placement or the pace surprised you.

You are clearly a forehand player, and with time, I am sure you can make the BH biased grip work - it clearly works on openers when you read the ball correctly and have time.  But do realize that very often, your anticipation will put you into trouble and you will be rushed to make a stroke.  You need something for those moments.   Most BH players with grip switchers address this by being able to hit forehands in quickly modified forms of their BH grip.  You can either take that solution or get a neutral grip backhand to  back up your true backhand. 

Edited by NextLevel - 03/19/2015 at 1:26am
Cybershape Carbon
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 1:10pm
NL- Agree with your analysis. Currently I feel I am in a transition period of coming to terms with what my BH is capable of, and there is no longer a need for me to be so forehand dominant. I also agree with you about the quick FH in a modified BH biased grip. That is how ZJK hits most of his FH, ML does it and Fan does too. I would much rather that, than hit a BH in a neutral grip. The comparative shot quality is much higher with a FH in a BH biased grip, slight adjustment, than a BH in a neutral grip. That's my opinion. Generally I agree with you and I think we are on the same page.
Quality over quantity
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic